4.0 out of 5 stars In Love With The Eighties
Client are an able synth-pop ensemble with a desire to be taken seriously as artists.
I have no quarrel with their ambition as the results, heard here on their new album
'Authority', are pretty damned good. Despite the somewhat chilly, po-faced exterior
they can't quite seem to stop themselves from turning out infectiously feel-good tunes.

Their...
Published 5 months ago by The Wolf

3.0 out of 5 stars Modern Nostalgia
Ah a new Client album! Client Mk 2? Ok, lets pop that in the CD player.

Ooops I have put on an OMD album circa 1993 instead......oh no I haven't!

Published 5 months ago by Peter Counter

4.0 out of 5 stars In Love With The Eighties, 20 April 2014
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Authority (Audio CD)

Their proclivity for referencing the eighties is present and correct throughout
and although they might hate me for saying it the spirit of Bananarama would
appear to be alive and well in a good few numbers in this new collection. (That's
a good thing in my book by-the-way!) For goodness sake you can dance to it too.

Choice tracks include 'The Shining Path', which lives up to its title and sparkles
along merrily and 'Refuge' which, despite its somewhat ponderous lyrics, also
possesses energy and elan in abundance. Things are pretty-much full-on throughout
with the exception of 'Faith' which is a richly-textured and rather lovely anthem.

All-in-all an engaging and enjoyable contribution to the genre.

Recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Modern Nostalgia, 23 April 2014
Peter Counter (Great Britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Authority (Audio CD)
Ah a new Client album! Client Mk 2? Ok, lets pop that in the CD player.

Ooops I have put on an OMD album circa 1993 instead......oh no I haven't!

After the dismal showing of Command from Client Mk1 I was a little wary of buying another album but Client Mk2 sounded promising and I love their early albums and their simple electronic sound harking back to the glorious birth of electronic pop in the early eighties. This is not Client Mk1. There are a few tracks you can imagine Client mk1 singing and you realise that the loss of those dulcet Doncaster tones is not such a loss to the overall package. The overall mood is one of euphoric early 90s OMD pop though. If I had read that Andy McClusky had been involved in the album I would not have been surprised. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge OMD fan so this will sit nicely in the CD rack and get the occasional dusting off.

A definite improvement on Command though and an evolution both in the style and the vocals. Nice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Their best so far, 19 July 2014
J. Mann - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Authority (Audio CD)
I've got all the Client albums and each one is excellent, with its own character and style, however having listened to this a number of times since buying it I think this is the best of the lot.

What makes Authority distinct is the drive and energy - there is still the melody, the hook, the intelligence and the style that characterise the group - whoever the personnel are - but this seems to take things up a notch and really deliver at every level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this CD, 15 July 2014
This review is from: Authority (Audio CD)
After being an avid Client fan for many years now during the 'Client B' (Sarah Blackwood) era, who I thought made the band, I was a little apprehensive about buying this latest offering by the new incarnation of the band that I've loved for ages. I've seen the band live many times and personally met the various members (including the lovely Sarah!). From the very first track on this album, I loved it, fantastic, catchy tunes and great lyrics by 'Client A' (Katie Holmes). The band really have stood the test of time and the testing times of line-up changes. I've liked all the previous albums but I have to say-and I really didn't expect to be saying this-'Authority' is possibly the strongest album by far! I think Client have sloughed their old skin and emerged from the cocoon as a bigger and (if not quite as sexy) band with a Hell of a punch with this new material. I hope they go from strength to strength from now on but in my estimation, they have gone well up the electronic ladder! I was saddened at the loss of Sarah in 2010, who I thought brought the main 'sexiness' to Client (particularly live on stage) but this album hasn't lost anything at all with her departure.
Buy this album if you love electronic music, you won't regret it! Long live CLIENT!!!

Authority