Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£6.99

This album was always among my favorite Dolly Parton albums and while it's not the only great Dolly album still awaiting release on CD, it is certainly the one amongst them that I'd most like to have on CD. You'll find most of the tracks on CD, particularly on the compilations Tour collection and Mission chapel memories, but some tracks have yet to appear on CD and even if they appear on other compilations, it's not the same as having the original album on CD in its entirety. Dolly wrote eight of the ten songs, with Porter Wagoner writing the other two.

Side 1 opens with the title track, which has always been one of my favorite Dolly songs and was one of her many number one country hits. It was the only single released from the album, perhaps because Dolly (with or without Porter Wagoner) was releasing albums very frequently in those days, so there was no time to worry about follow-up singles.

Side 1 is completed by four excellent ballads, all of them brilliant, these being If I cross your mind (on of Porter`s songs), My eyes can only see you, Take me back and Blackie Kentucky. Note that there are many different songs titled Take me back including one first recorded by Elton John that Brenda Lee covered and one from the mid-eighties that both Reba McEntire and Louise Mandrell recorded. Those songs are also excellent but very different from Dolly's song, which Irish singer and Dolly fan Susan McCann covered. Her version is available on Blayney years, a compilation that also includes several other covers of Dolly's songs.

Side 2 begins with three up-tempo songs, these being Getting' happy, You're the one that taught me how to swing and Highway headin' south, the latter being one of Porter's song; it became a top twenty country hit for him though it is likely that if Dolly's version had been released as a single instead, it would have been at least a top ten hit. By that time, the public weren't very interested in Porter's solo recordings and it is a measure of the song's quality that it became as big a hit as it did. After those up-tempo songs, the tempo slows for Once upon a memory, but picks up again from the final track, Sacred memories. I was surprised to learn that this excellent closing song was originally recorded for possible inclusion in My Tennessee mountain home. Not only was it dropped from that album's original release, it was also omitted from two other albums (Bubbling over, Jolene) released in the interim.

I suppose that this album will eventually get a CD release, but meanwhile I've got my vinyl copy to keep me going. Other highly desirable solo albums by Dolly that I'd like to see on CD and which still haven't been (listed in original release date order) are In the good old days, My blue ridge mountain boy, The fairest of them all, Touch your woman, Bubbling over, Bargain store, Dolly (generally known as The seeker/We used to) and Heartbreak express. I'm not that bothered about A real live Dolly, nor My favorite songwriter Porter Wagoner. I'd buy them if they were released on CD but I'd be annoyed if their CD release took precedence over the others listed.
on 11 September 2010
I've never heard this album because it's almost impossible to buy from anywhere. The few Dolly albums I have heard from this period are full of gems that never appear on Greatest Hits collection.
on 30 August 2015