4.0 out of 5 stars A Purposeful Debut, 15 Mar. 2014
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Dan Croll, a young British singer/songwriter and former student at
Sir Paul McC's Liverpool Institute For Performing Arts, seems already
to have been making a not insignificant noise in the listening world.
Hearing his debut 'Sweet Disarray' one can easily begin to understand
why this might be so. It's a very fine first showing.

Mr Croll certainly understands how to make good tune and there are
(almost) a dozen of them in the set. His voice, although not especially
distinctive, is more than fit for purpose and his vocal performances are
both confident and tonally secure. The mood of the album is largely upbeat;
the melodies bright and breezy and the choruses more or less hummable,
without ever quite becoming "can't-get-you-out-of-my-head" brain-worms.

The best of the bunch would certainly have to include opening numbers
'From Nowhere' with its cutesy and quaintly cheesy Latin shuffle and
'Thinkin Aboutchu' which has more than a little of 80's Level 42 about
it in its insistent bass led rhythm. 'In/Out' is an exuberant piece of
glistening synth-pop which, whether knowingly or not, points to a musical
seam already well-mined by Vincent Frank (aka Frankmusik) and 'Must Be
Leaving', a strong composition in which Mr Croll seems to find his own feet.

The trite domestic sentiments of final track 'Home', however, are truly cringe-worthy.

Eleven winners and one small miss-hit can't be bad for a first release though can it?

Give it a go....

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommend!, 14 July 2014
This review is from: Sweet Disarray (Audio CD)
I honestly cannot recommend this album enough. I've seen home live twice now and I'm going to see him again for the third time later this year. Generally, the album is very upbeat and is 'feel good'. I would describe it as easy music to listen to - there's not one part of any song that makes you want to stop listening or skip the song.

5.0 out of 5 stars what an album, 6 Jun. 2014
Mollie (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sweet Disarray (Audio CD)
i cannot recommend enough for you to at least give this album a listen. Because after you hear it, you'll probably want to buy it. It really is fantastic. its been in the pipeline for some time, with 'from nowhere' being released about 2 years ago, but its most definitely worth the wait - its a very polished record with all the tracks being strong. The songs have uplifting tunes and lyrics worth listening to. Dan certainly has a bright future with a debut album like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Singer, Song Writer, Musician, 23 April 2014
This review is from: Sweet Disarray (Audio CD)
It is quite rare these days to have the great musical qualities of Singer, Song Writer, and Musician, but Dan Croll has all of these and more, he's a very nice person. He deserves to be at number one. My favourite song from his album is "Home", I just keep playing it again and again, when I feel like cheering up. I sincerely hope that he gets the rewards for all his talents and totally recommend this album, but most of all this great musician, he will surely be BIG in the world of music.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Buy, 19 April 2014
This review is from: Sweet Disarray (Audio CD)
First heard some of Dan's music on the radio. Then I heard what I thought was a remix on my son's playstation 3. I knew it was his birthday soon but I didn't order it. When I told him what I had seen I got the reaction of "Aww, I really wanted that" so I got back on my iPad and got it ordered, hoping that it would arrive before his birthday. Luckily, the gods for courier and postal services were pleased and it arrived a day before his birthday (which was amazing with super saver delivery.) He is loving the music, I have noticed that he sometimes skips one or two tracks but nothing on the album is awful, most of it is "awesome."

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect, 15 April 2014
This review is from: Sweet Disarray (Audio CD)
took a couple of listens (and seeing him live) to fully get into it, but this album does not have one bad song. Phenomenal. can't wait to see what else dan has for us in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars so good, 12 April 2014
This review is from: Sweet Disarray [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I just love it. I think everyone needs to hear this....especially on vinyl. Or live...Live would be great as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars And People Say Good Music is Dead., 26 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Sweet Disarray (Audio CD)
Did you ever buy an album where you just think, "Goodness gracious". Well that's exactly how I felt about this album. Fresh into the Indie music scene with his debut album, Sweet Disarray, Dan Croll shows that the potential is most definitely there, with a plethora of different styles of music in this album including rock, synth and even some pop and acoustic tracks to keep it sounding creative.

Lets get into the thick of it, the best song of this record is, without a shadow of a doubt, In/Out, this track gives us a consistent baseline, interesting lyrics and the use of faders within the synth makes this tune an explosion of energy, it's just one of those songs that need a pair of headphones for optimal listening. My least favourite song would be, "Wanna Know", it's not a bad song but I believe it breaks the consistency of the rest of the album, with a BPM that sways from the rest of the tracks, it's a welcome mix up, but it's based on personal preference in this case. However altogether this album is the perfect debut for any artist, as it has no bad songs and it portrays the potential this young man has.

I rated this a 5/5 because of it's varying styles, quality music, and potential, and I can guarantee a lot of people would disagree, but we have to look at this in terms of this being a debut album, which is highly different from an established artist with four albums already. This a highly recommendable album and this review is your excuse to buy it, I can whole heartedly say that you will love it, and a small piece of trivia: The title track from this record is included on the Grand Theft Auto 5 soundtrack, he's got to be doing something right if that's the case, right?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album of foot-tapping folksyness, 21 Mar. 2014
Mark B (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sweet Disarray (Audio CD)
Hummable tunes, great musicianship and arrangements, and lovely vocals and harmonies.
Intelligent, enjoyable and fun music that is deceptively simple but beautifully crafted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Pop, 18 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Sweet Disarray (Audio CD)
Dan Croll is a big hitter in the indie world, and my description of his music and this album is "how pop music should be done". Honest and talented, the highlights of this upbeat and fizzy record are 'from nowhere' and 'compliment your soul'. Very easy to listen to, well worth a buy.

Sweet Disarray