on 11 April 2014
I've already stated how much I enjoyed the first 9 and I'm now onto book 2 of the 9 more - so far, so good! Nice to see some of the previous characters make an appearance as well as some new, I'm loving it and would recommend to anyone who likes a bit of murder, mystery and a bit of a twist!
on 7 April 2014
Very good selection....each one features very different themes.I enjoyed them all in quite different ways. I would purchase simlar collections again.
on 9 April 2014
Tremendous value for money very good books by some authors I'd not encountered before but will certainly read again thanks
on 14 April 2014
This is the second 9 Killer Thrillers pack I have read and I hope there will be more! Exceptionally good value for money and I now have several new authors to add to my reading list. Definitely worth buying.
on 15 April 2014
this collection has a variety of twists on the same theme, so whatever your interests you will find a tale to keep you engaged. All the books a well written and do not ask the reader to suspend common sense in order for the plots to work.
on 9 May 2014
Value for money books. Interesting stories. Worth buying boxsets for the different stories & getting to know how other authors write stories
on 12 June 2014
Cover 3/5 simple

Contents

Good to be reading more of Jet after arrival in South America. As I am suffering from thriller fatigue I am reading these in editor mode. In Jet some interesting structural points have given me much to think about already. The test will be reading on Kindle as I usually have less staying power on e books.

From an authors point of view the pricing is silly for the effort put in by the authors. I suppose these are marketing efforts to gain and hook new readers in. We will have to see ... I started Lee Child's Reacher books not expecting to get hooked but ended up reading the lot. I read on ...

Alexander of Allrighters and Ywnwab!
on 2 June 2014
The Halo Effect by M J Rose
When I was at school I loved reading but disliked "the classics" intensely. The reason was that they always contained far too many descriptive paragraphs or even pages of description before you got to anything meaningful; any "action". Regrettably, this book took me back to my schooldays. I was about 15% or more through the book before I came to anything remotely resembling a thriller. Thereafter it did speed up somewhat but the speed was only 10 mph! Yet the author certainly has the skills to write in gripping fashion for the last 10 pages were riveting. This was not a book that I didn't want to put down, rather I couldn't wait to get to the end and move on to the next one. This was fortunate because....

Vigilante by Claude Bouchard was the complete opposite and a truly riveting read. It moved from chapter to chapter at a breathless pace with the killer not being disclosed until the very end. In addition, I couldn't work it out in advance. The characters are for real and totally believable. Superb.

The Devil's Deep by Michael Wallace
Another excellent novel which keeps you spellbound. This not a simple plot. More interestingly you don't get the complete reveal at the same time. You can easily work out bits of it yourself and others bits are disclosed by different characters at different times. Strangely enough this did not detract from the pleasure of the read. The settings were crafted beautifully and the action parts were short but clearly delineated. Like Vigilante, I do hope that the author goes on to write more in a series.

Traces of Kara by Melissa Foster
A scary read which is all to real and feasible. The author clearly has knowledge of the unhinged mind and uses that knowledge to good effect in this edge-of-your-seat novel. The ending becomes more obvious as you read through but it is no less riveting for that. The characters are reasonably well defined but the environment in which the book is set is superbly crafted. Give yourself time to read it to the end -you won't want to put it down!

The 19th Element by John Betcher
This has all the events of a great read before you even open the book. Even the title tells you that it's going to be fast moving, with lots of complexity and characters. It doesn't disappoint. It is not a book that requires a lot of deep thinking but it is one that you don't want to put down. I loved it right from the start even if the plot was a bit hard to believe.......or is it??? The only downside was that the author got you started and then took you back in time with new characters. Fair enough if it's done once or twice but then when you need to keep trying to remember which date this chapter is set in it doesn't detract slightly from the enjoyment. The fact that it is impossible in a compilation like this to go back to a chapter on Kindle is very frustrating and something that Amazon really needs to tackle. It does all come together at the end with a climax that you almost live through. I will certainly be reading more in this series.

Big Lake by Jim Russell
Take a sheriff in a hick town somewhere up in the mountains, add in some local politics and a mayor with no brains and you have some idea of the setting for this entertaining and perhaps educational fast moving crime novel with a difference. Oh, did I mention a family that think that the government is out to get them and so have got weapons that a third world country would want? Don't forget the FBI boss that wants to take out this family and you have a complexity that really the sheriff doesn't need. The twist in the tale at the end is admirable and rounds it all off. Of course none of this is believable...........is it?!?!

Snake Skin by C J Lyons
It is difficult to reconcile the tame beginning of this book with the thrilling end. The two parts don't quite match up. It is almost as if they were written by different writers but using similar characters. There can be no doubt that we have a very skilled author here. Skilled, that is, in making the reader become sucked in to the story but not quite believing what was happening. When you get to the last 25% of the book you can almost believe in it until the FBI agent gets shot yet struggles back to a very active and physically demanding case that she is on. Yet still the story holds the reader's imagination. As you can tell I am in two minds about this book. I want to like it but I'm not so sure. Try it for yourself and see.

Corpus Christi by Luke Romyn
Even when I was 12 I was a voracious reader. One day my uncle gave me a book to read. "It is the best book you will ever read" he said. After 12 pages I gave up and returned it to him. It was The Lord Of The Rings. He was mortified and asked why I didn't like it. My reply? "I don't like fairy stories". This book is a cross between Harry Potter, Indiana Jones and the Bible. Not my kind of thing. It is well written and the plot moves rapidly from one unbelievable situation to another. If you like fairy stories, you'll like this!

King of Swords by Russell Blake
There is nothing better than finishing a book compilation with a real blockbuster. Probably the best of them all. It held me in suspense until the very last. It's not a "goodies always win" book but it nevertheless makes you feel good. It also has some shadowy characters whom you know about but the hero doesn't - and never does. A real masterpiece in writing and will certainly be buying more of his books.

Summary
A fabulous compilation with something for everyone.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 May 2014
There are a lot of long tales in this collection and so far I have not read them all but what I have read have been extremely good and I have enjoyed them.
on 19 June 2014
I skipped a couple of stories in this set , but well worth the money, kept me entertained for many nights of bedtime reading