4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but exposes software limitations
I bought this to work with my Dell Laptop (M3600) and existing Dell P2412U monitor. With three displays running simultaneously I'm maybe pushing the capabilities a bit.

Published 27 days ago by Joeb

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Published 4 months ago by adigra

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but exposes software limitations, 31 Oct 2014
This review is from: Dell P2815Q 28 inch Ultra HD 4K LED Monitor (1000:1, 300 cd/m2, 3840 x 2160, 5ms, DP/HDMI) (Accessory)

The monitor itself looks good, appearance matches the 24 inch monitor and has a similar tilt / swivel/ pivot stand, once i'd worked out how to link it up and select the mini-display port input it works fine. It comes with Dell display manager software, which allows the 4k screen to be divided up into regions.Seems to work well.

All criticisms are therefore general to any 4k monitor:
With Windows 7 you have to have the Display scaling the same for all monitors, so if you make the text big enough on the 4k one its clumsy on the others.I understand this is fixed from 8.1
As others have noticed the refresh rate is limited to 30Hz, not a problem for me but may be an issue for gamers.
I also found that running CAD software a lot of activity on the big screen caused weird artefacts on the others - I suspect I'm pushing things a bit far.
In general i found that 4k was rather too fine resolution or this size of display, I suspect an intermediate setting (maybe 2560 x 1440 but my driver doesn't support this) would be better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great monitor for a great price!, 13 Nov 2014
I'm a programmer - not a gamer. I also use this monitor with Linux (haven't got a machine with Window$ to try it with). For me there are no issues. I've been using it for over four months now and cannot complain at all. It is the best monitor I've ever had.

To be able to get as much information on the screen as I am able is fantastic. Refresh rate is not a problem at all (even under overhead fluorescents) as I don't play games on it. Have not experienced any mouse lag; I did wonder whether that was to be an issue after reading some reviews but certainly under Linux it is not a problem......mouse is responsive and quick.

Overall, for programming and web dev. it is brilliant!

4.0 out of 5 stars for me it works best at a resolution of 2560 x 1440, 17 July 2014
This monitor is being used for cad/cam work, for me it works best at a resolution of 2560 x 1440. No problems with mouse lag as i am
not using fast moving images, i am also using recommended display port cable and quadro 4000 graphics card.
Text set to 125%

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 2 July 2014
In order to be used at its higher resolution ranges, the refresh rate has to be at 30hz, which is very hard on the eyes and was giving me a headache. I was forced to reduce it to the recommended, mid range resolution (with a refresh rate of 60Hz), which is nothing remarkable, making it just an expensive ordinary, albeit large, monitor. Colours are also not great. I use a Spyder 3 colour calibration tool and three separate monitors on the same system (including this one), and while I can get the other two to match exactly, the Dell is always too purple. It's not bad by any means, but side by side with my Wacom Cintique and an older Dell, it isn't great.

Overall, it's not bad, and it's the cheapest 4K monitor around, but I wouldn't recommend it as it falls short of its promise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the bad reviews, 16 Nov 2014
I just bought one of these "Dell Refurbished" (not from Amazon). I was previously using a Dell 2K 27 inch monitor so in terms of size and resolution it wasn't a huge advance on what I had previously. Overall it is lovely and I cannot understand the complaints about these. I am playing Far Cry 3 on it and the moment is performance is perfect possibly because my PC has graphics way in excess of what even this monitor requires. Note since most HDMI only support 30 Hz you may get a warning window when you boot up - you have to use Displayport or Mini Displayport to use 60 Hz.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid!, 10 July 2014
I received the monitor today, so will give a fair review.
Looks good, stand it excellent.
You get a Mini Display Port cable and a HDMI.
Once connected to the Display Port my Windows 8 operating system picked up the drivers and changed the resolution to 3840 x 2160
Input lag was noticed instantly, mouse moves sluggishly and sometimes unresponsive, on speaking to dell its lag is 200ms and cant be fixed with firmware.
The biggest let down the maximum 30hz it runs at, I was led to believe that it would deliver 60hz on Display Port, but it does not.
This is very noticable even playing Blizzards Hearthstone, imagine what it would be like on Crysis 3 etc....

I strongly recommend you do not buy this, as you will be disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE OF REFRESH RATE, 6 Jun 2014
This is a stunning monitor but anyone wanting it for anything other than office applications should beware of the 30Hz refresh rate at maximum native resolution. 30Hz is noticable - especially when most of the current monitors today work at 60Hz or higher.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great quality, tiny text.... My fault though, 30 Aug 2014
Perfect, but you need excellent eyesight to use at full resolution... Might need bigger!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic monitor for the money., 19 May 2014
We've been replacing a number of our older 30' dell monitors with these, and we've been very pleased with the results.
Older screens tend to produce quite a bit of heat, but the P2815Q is runs very cool.

We have been using these exclusively with Apple Macbook pro's (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) which support 4K monitors with OSX (OS X 10.9.3).

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 July 2014
A pleasure to use. Just make sure your gfx card can drive it.