4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but exposes software limitations
I bought this to work with my Dell Laptop (M3600) and existing Dell P2412U monitor. With three displays running simultaneously I'm maybe pushing the capabilities a bit.

Published 8 months ago by Joeb

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Published 12 months ago by adigra

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 2 July 2014
This review is from: Dell P2815Q 28 inch Ultra HD 4K LED Monitor (1000:1, 300 cd/m2, 3840 x 2160, 5ms, DP/HDMI) (Accessory)
In order to be used at its higher resolution ranges, the refresh rate has to be at 30hz, which is very hard on the eyes and was giving me a headache. I was forced to reduce it to the recommended, mid range resolution (with a refresh rate of 60Hz), which is nothing remarkable, making it just an expensive ordinary, albeit large, monitor. Colours are also not great. I use a Spyder 3 colour calibration tool and three separate monitors on the same system (including this one), and while I can get the other two to match exactly, the Dell is always too purple. It's not bad by any means, but side by side with my Wacom Cintique and an older Dell, it isn't great.

Overall, it's not bad, and it's the cheapest 4K monitor around, but I wouldn't recommend it as it falls short of its promise.

3.0 out of 5 stars For a price - it is OK, otherwise - don't bother., 26 Feb. 2015
White balance on this unit is off the charts. I had to use windows to reduce gamma output to zero as there are no controls for gamma on the monitor itself.
Once calibrated it became usable, but white is still too white. Almost as looking through the fog. For 2D and CAD work is OK, but mouse is lagging compared to 60Hz second monitor.
If you want the best-est quality out-of-the-box - don't buy it. If you are on the budget and can live with monitor that is slow-ish and too bright, then go ahead. I would not recommend this to a friend or relative. Maybe to an enemy to see them suffer as I did through calibration process.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but exposes software limitations, 31 Oct. 2014

The monitor itself looks good, appearance matches the 24 inch monitor and has a similar tilt / swivel/ pivot stand, once i'd worked out how to link it up and select the mini-display port input it works fine. It comes with Dell display manager software, which allows the 4k screen to be divided up into regions.Seems to work well.

All criticisms are therefore general to any 4k monitor:
With Windows 7 you have to have the Display scaling the same for all monitors, so if you make the text big enough on the 4k one its clumsy on the others.I understand this is fixed from 8.1
As others have noticed the refresh rate is limited to 30Hz, not a problem for me but may be an issue for gamers.
I also found that running CAD software a lot of activity on the big screen caused weird artefacts on the others - I suspect I'm pushing things a bit far.
In general i found that 4k was rather too fine resolution or this size of display, I suspect an intermediate setting (maybe 2560 x 1440 but my driver doesn't support this) would be better.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid!, 10 July 2014
I received the monitor today, so will give a fair review.
Looks good, stand it excellent.
You get a Mini Display Port cable and a HDMI.
Once connected to the Display Port my Windows 8 operating system picked up the drivers and changed the resolution to 3840 x 2160
Input lag was noticed instantly, mouse moves sluggishly and sometimes unresponsive, on speaking to dell its lag is 200ms and cant be fixed with firmware.
The biggest let down the maximum 30hz it runs at, I was led to believe that it would deliver 60hz on Display Port, but it does not.
This is very noticable even playing Blizzards Hearthstone, imagine what it would be like on Crysis 3 etc....

I strongly recommend you do not buy this, as you will be disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars If you are interested in using this for gaming DO ..., 26 Dec. 2014
If you are interested in using this for gaming DO NOT BUY IT!!!

The input lag (The time it takes for you to move your mouse in real life, and it to then move on the screen) is HUGE. I have a £1200 gaming rig and this screen ruined it, returned it the day I got it, simply not suitable for gamers DO NOT IGNORE THIS IT REALLY ISN'T!

1.0 out of 5 stars Significant mouse lag. Not usable., 17 Jun. 2015
Purchased it because the reviews say it is okay for non-gamers. This monitor has such lag that it is not usable for any kind of usage. I used it with a new mac book air (which supports 4k monitors). When I dragged the mouse to the new monitor the mouse became extremely sluggish and would flicker on and off (you couldn't even see the mouse for a long time). If you drag the mouse back to the mac, it worked as normal. I tried different settings (putting it on lower resolution) it got a little better but still significant lag. I also tried increasing mouse track speed, did not help.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible mouse lag makes this monitor unusable., 15 Dec. 2014
S. Tual "s" (London) - See all my reviews
I take posting negative reviews very seriously but this monitor is unusable, plain and simple.

Mac pro fully kitted attached to it, 64gb ram, dual radeon 700s, octocore - and this screen refresh slower than my olivetti back in the 90's.

Yes, the image quality is amazing, but what good is it when you can't even move the mouse across the screen without at least 200ms lag? Everything feels sluggish and even writing a word document quickly becomes an exercise in frustration. I can't believe Dell is even selling this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid - it's 30Hz and could give you headaches, 13 April 2015
Avoid this monitor at all costs. It can only do 4K at 30Hz, which means you'll notice flicker and it could give you headaches.

Sorry folks, a 4K monitor which supports the standard refresh rate (60Hz, non-flicker) will be much more expensive. You get what you pay for.

Something like this Dell would be a much better alternative for the same price: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-U2515H-25-Inch-Monitor-2560/dp/B00P6O3YYO/ ... The Dell U2515H is 25", IPS, 2560x1440 and (importantly) supports 60Hz at the maximum refresh rate.

2.0 out of 5 stars and the image quality after calibration was damn good for this type of monitor, 16 Jun. 2015
Paul Jones - See all my reviews
Bought it, and had to send it back. There 30fps I can deal with, and the image quality after calibration was damn good for this type of monitor. The screen real-estate is lovely. But the lag on the monitor is a show-stopper. My mouse was over-shooting or under-shooting with almost every movement. It really slows your work down. You are constantly waiting for the monitor to catch up. Only slightly for every mouse movement, but it adds up. I couldn't recommend this monitor for this reason.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great monitor for a great price!, 13 Nov. 2014
I'm a programmer - not a gamer. I also use this monitor with Linux (haven't got a machine with Window$ to try it with). For me there are no issues. I've been using it for over four months now and cannot complain at all. It is the best monitor I've ever had.

To be able to get as much information on the screen as I am able is fantastic. Refresh rate is not a problem at all (even under overhead fluorescents) as I don't play games on it. Have not experienced any mouse lag; I did wonder whether that was to be an issue after reading some reviews but certainly under Linux it is not a problem......mouse is responsive and quick.

Overall, for programming and web dev. it is brilliant!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›