5.0 out of 5 stars Picture and Sound Settings for your new TV.
Hello All. I thought I'd post my experiences on how to set up this TV to get the best out of it. I do hope this helps.

Published 1 month ago by Awesomo

3.0 out of 5 stars Great TV! First model faulty and no shipping refund
The TV is fantastic, although after a week it developed a fault where the green light would flash, as if a button was being pressed. I removed all remotes and batteries in the room and still nothing, this would cause the menus to spaz out and basically make it un-usable.

Published 9 months ago by Tony Duke

5.0 out of 5 stars Picture and Sound Settings for your new TV., 15 May 2015
This review is from: Panasonic TX-50A400B 50-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD LED TV with Freeview (Electronics)

These telly's have a number of inputs and for each input there are five preset Viewing Modes which can be customized. Every input stores its Viewing Modes separately from the other inputs, and so all the inputs are independently customizable in terms of their five Viewing Modes. So first you have to select an input to customize, then go to the Picture Setting menu and select the Viewing Mode you want to customize for that input. You'll have to do this for every input that you'll be using. Sound setting are also stored independently per input. Although this may sound long winded, the end result is that different sources can all have their own optimized video and sound settings, which will kick in automatically once set up.

Like many LED TV's the firmware moves the backlight up and down depending on its analysis of what's on screen, and this behavior unfortunately cannot be totally disabled on this model. Fortunately, these backlight shifts are fairly subtle in the first two viewing modes (Dynamic and Normal). The other three viewing modes should be avoided as they do suffer from very pronounced automatic backlight shifts. For each input I have customized the Normal viewing mode (selected for everyday use), and the Dynamic viewing mode (which I switch to on the rare occasions when the content may require a bit of a brightness boost). Once set up, you can simply leave each input on its customized Normal Mode for most of the time.

Be aware that on this model selecting a different colour temperature will result in quite dramatic changes in the contrast and gamma profile of the display. My setting will only deliver if you stick with the normal Colour Balance setting. The other Colour Balance setting have proved very difficult to calibrate effectively on this set, particularly the Warm setting. Anyway, here's what I have settled on:

INTERNAL TV TUNER USE

Customized Normal Picture Mode: Backlight = 70, Contrast = 80, Brightness = -3, Colour = 48, Sharpness = 35, Colour Balance = Normal, Eco = Off , PNR = Off, Overscan = Off.

Customized Dynamic Picture Mode: Backlight = 73, Contrast = 83, Brightness = -6, Colour = 45, Sharpness = 35, Colour Balance = Normal, Eco = Off , PNR = Off, Overscan = Off.

HDMI INPUT USE

Customized Normal Picture Mode: Backlight = 70, Contrast = 80, Brightness = -5, Colour = 43, Sharpness = 30, Colour Balance = Normal, Eco = Off , PNR = Off, Overscan = Off.

Customized Dynamic Picture Mode: Backlight = 85, Contrast = 85, Brightness = -6, Colour = 44, Sharpness = 30, Colour Balance = Normal, Eco = Off , PNR = Off, Overscan = Off.

SOUND SETTINGS

Mode = Music, Bass = 0, Treble = 0, Balance = 0, Headphone Volume = 27, Surround = off, Auto Gain = off, Volume Correction = 0 (raise this if your input source has a very low volume), Speaker Dist = over 30cm. The rest you can leave at default.

On my particular set these setting deliver about the best you can squeeze out of the TV from a range of sources. My two HDMI Modes are quite broad so as to cover the sometimes duller internet streams that my XBMC box will deliver throught the HDMI. Its possible that your experience may vary of course, as it's not uncommon for there to be panel differences within a product range.

Best of Luck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent TV after adjustment, 15 May 2014
Amazon Customer (Chatteris, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Well it looks like I'm the first person to review this TV so I'll keep it short and sweet.

Good points:

The picture. Out the box it's amazing for a computer game, but for more realistic colours and softer viewing I just needed to adjust the TV settings to something a little less garish and bright. This isn't a fault, it's set to what most people like these days at switch on. It's got a better picture than my previous viera TV and cost half the price! Sound is OK for a slim TV with some tone adjustments. I didn't need a smart TV as I just use my TV as a monitor, I don't even use the TV's tuner. Most people these days use roku, sky, humax etc so having a multitude of internet added apps just seems a waste as I never used them on the previous TV. Despite tech specs this TV does have an ethernet connection although I have no idea what it's for.

Bad points:

Only 2 HDMI inputs. A bit stingy to say the least but it's enough for my set top box and ps3.

TV gets 5 stars and I'm far from disappointed. Excellent if you don't need all the bangs and whistles (that you'll never use)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for Money, 4 Nov. 2014
An excellent Budget HD TV with vibrant colours and sound. Design is optimised for maximum screen size and is superior to TV's at a much higher price bracket. Overall an excellent choice

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV, 18 May 2015
Having read a few reviews I was little concerned about buying this TV.
But to be honest a lot of the reviews were not about the 50 inch TV and some people really don't have a clue about setting up a TV.
If you have SKY HD it really doesn't matter about the HD Freeview.
Set up is fast, and it took less than 10 minutes from opening the box.
Picture is clear and I was amazed at the quality.
Even the sound which is sometimes an issue is great.

Why would anyone spend a lot more money buying a 2015 model which basically just has SMART
SMART TV is a waste of money if you have SKY.

5.0 out of 5 stars Money worth spent., 8 Jan. 2015
We are very pleased with our new tv, it looks good, I sit quite near the tv so at first it wa a bit of a shock to see the coloursand brightness compared to our older set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Value 50" Panasonic TV, 6 Sept. 2014
Mr. Daniel Balkwill "Dan B" (Bransgore Dorset/Hants UK) - See all my reviews
Some 'techie' sites on Google...the ones that look into the depths of the blacks and the noise of the picture etc......would have you believe that this was probably not the best value TV on the market. And perhaps at the 2014 release price of £629 there would have been a fair few other TV's to compare it with. However I have just bought mine for less than £401 including delivery and I consider that to be a bargain for a Panasonic 50" LED/LCD TV. There are a few 50" TV's that are cheaper but with names like Digihome - Cello - Bush and Alba it is a bit of a lottery. The built in Freeview HD picture is stunning and considering the wafer thin chassis the sound is far better than expected. There are only two HDMI inputs but one has ARC so you can feed any audio back through whatever surround sound speaker system you have. I bought a £5.00 HDMI splitter from eBay and ran my DVD/Surround Sound system through HDMI 2 with the splitter connected to HDMI 1 running a Freesat box plus a NOW TV box and a Smart TV box all with the choice of TV sound or surround sound. There is also a SCART socket..I use mine to run audio from the TV channels to surround sound... and there are a set of RCA inputs and an Optical Toslink input/output if you have a sound bar system. It looks fantastic as the picture goes all the way up to the 10 mm rim and size wise it is only a fraction larger than my 42LG7000 that it has replaced. If you are looking for a 50" LCD/LED TV I don't think you will be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase, 12 Sept. 2014
This is a great tv and I'm really pleased with it. I looked around quite a lot before buying it and have previously bought Sony. I thought about spending more, or buying a smaller Sony for the same price. The picture quality and sound are good. I am using Sky so I decided I didn't need to buy a Smart tv. My DVD has Smart features, so didn't need to buy these options again. I was slightly worried that the tv would be too big for the room but overall the set doesn't look that much bigger than my old 32" Sony Bravia that has a large plastic fascia. It has a fantastically larger screen and an elegant stand. It doesn't look too imposing in a regular size room.

I had to re-program my Sky remote to get all the features (volume control) to work, which took 5 seconds. See: http://help.sky.com/articles/program-your-sky-remote-to-control-your-tv. (Code 1664 worked straight away).

5.0 out of 5 stars Basic Features.. But Good Quality, 30 July 2014
Great TV. Nothing to complain about with the picture or the sound. Only downside is the interface and program selection is a little slow and old fashioned. Would be nice to be able to scroll through the channel list without having to mash the down arrow. However this is not advertised as a smart TV and I didn't buy it for any fancy features. If your hooking this up to a separate Freeview, Tivo or Sky box then you don't have to worry about the channel list been a little slow and it would be perfect for you.

Basically: Quality Picture and Sound. Just a little basic with the features. Perfect for use in combination with a separate system and/or games console.

5.0 out of 5 stars highly recommended, 6 Sept. 2014
Mark (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Great 50 inch TV for the money but limited by only two HDMI slots. Still highly recommended

3.0 out of 5 stars Great TV! First model faulty and no shipping refund, 17 Sept. 2014

A first worldy-nightmare wait for two failed courier pickups, the 3rd finally arrives for their £45 fee [inc insurance incase it goes missing]. And Amazon refunds for £3.99 for postage; so i'm £41.01 out of pocket to ensure the safe arrival of this huge tv. Most couriers didn't want to touch my parcel due to the weight & size. So it's either risk the TV going missing, or pay the insurance on the cost.

So is this legal? I think being 40 quid out of pocket due to a fault is pretty messed up. Not happy Amazon!