5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent TV after adjustment
Well it looks like I'm the first person to review this TV so I'll keep it short and sweet.

Good points:

Published 4 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Great TV! First model faulty and no shipping refund
The TV is fantastic, although after a week it developed a fault where the green light would flash, as if a button was being pressed. I removed all remotes and batteries in the room and still nothing, this would cause the menus to spaz out and basically make it un-usable.

Published 5 days ago by Tony Duke

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent TV after adjustment, 15 May 2014
Amazon Customer (Chatteris, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Panasonic TX-50A400B 50-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD LED TV with Freeview (New for 2014) (Electronics)

Good points:

The picture. Out the box it's amazing for a computer game, but for more realistic colours and softer viewing I just needed to adjust the TV settings to something a little less garish and bright. This isn't a fault, it's set to what most people like these days at switch on. It's got a better picture than my previous viera TV and cost half the price! Sound is OK for a slim TV with some tone adjustments. I didn't need a smart TV as I just use my TV as a monitor, I don't even use the TV's tuner. Most people these days use roku, sky, humax etc so having a multitude of internet added apps just seems a waste as I never used them on the previous TV. Despite tech specs this TV does have an ethernet connection although I have no idea what it's for.

Bad points:

Only 2 HDMI inputs. A bit stingy to say the least but it's enough for my set top box and ps3.

TV gets 5 stars and I'm far from disappointed. Excellent if you don't need all the bangs and whistles (that you'll never use)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase, 12 Sep 2014
This is a great tv and I'm really pleased with it. I looked around quite a lot before buying it and have previously bought Sony. I thought about spending more, or buying a smaller Sony for the same price. The picture quality and sound are good. I am using Sky so I decided I didn't need to buy a Smart tv. My DVD has Smart features, so didn't need to buy these options again. I was slightly worried that the tv would be too big for the room but overall the set doesn't look that much bigger than my old 32" Sony Bravia that has a large plastic fascia. It has a fantastically larger screen and an elegant stand. It doesn't look too imposing in a regular size room.

I had to re-program my Sky remote to get all the features (volume control) to work, which took 5 seconds. See: http://help.sky.com/articles/program-your-sky-remote-to-control-your-tv. (Code 1664 worked straight away).

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Value 50" Panasonic TV, 6 Sep 2014
Mr. Daniel Balkwill "Dan B" (Bransgore Dorset/Hants UK) - See all my reviews
Some 'techie' sites on Google...the ones that look into the depths of the blacks and the noise of the picture etc......would have you believe that this was probably not the best value TV on the market. And perhaps at the 2014 release price of £629 there would have been a fair few other TV's to compare it with. However I have just bought mine for less than £401 including delivery and I consider that to be a bargain for a Panasonic 50" LED/LCD TV. There are a few 50" TV's that are cheaper but with names like Digihome - Cello - Bush and Alba it is a bit of a lottery. The built in Freeview HD picture is stunning and considering the wafer thin chassis the sound is far better than expected. There are only two HDMI inputs but one has ARC so you can feed any audio back through whatever surround sound speaker system you have. I bought a £5.00 HDMI splitter from eBay and ran my DVD/Surround Sound system through HDMI 2 with the splitter connected to HDMI 1 running a Freesat box plus a NOW TV box and a Smart TV box all with the choice of TV sound or surround sound. There is also a SCART socket..I use mine to run audio from the TV channels to surround sound... and there are a set of RCA inputs and an Optical Toslink input/output if you have a sound bar system. It looks fantastic as the picture goes all the way up to the 10 mm rim and size wise it is only a fraction larger than my 42LG7000 that it has replaced. If you are looking for a 50" LCD/LED TV I don't think you will be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic TV for the price!, 19 Aug 2014
J. Alexander (London UK) - See all my reviews
If you don't need a smart TV then this is well worth considering. Excellent picture, nice thin bezel, easy to set up, sound isn't the best but not too bad. I didn't buy it for the sound anyway as it's hooked up to a dedicated surround sound system. For my viewing I used the factory dynamic setting and toned it down slightly in the settings, this gives a great picture well suitable for TV, films and games. For this price you can't go wrong, very pleased I went for this model.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good lightweight basic full HD LED TV, 2 July 2014
Cheshire Cat (Warrington, Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Used to flat screen tvs of even a few years ago, the first very pleasant shock on receiving this tv is how light this 39" tv is, circa 10kg. Light enough for me to easily carry single handed and for me to also mount it with no difficulty on a plaster board faced hollow wall! See photos.

The screen bezel is very small which contributes to a pleasing overall appearance.

Auto-tuning was quick and painless with Freeview HD giving excellent results. Connecting to a Sky HD box via one of the two HDMI sockets was easy , even with the wall mounted TV offering limited space for cables. One issue(not the fault of theTV) was that it could not automatically detect the Sky box and switch to the HDMI input. A problem I believe with the Sky box not sending the appropriate signal as opposed to the TV. It was very easy in any case to switch on the remote from 'TV' to 'AV" as the two buttons are side by side at the top of the remote.

Picture quality out of the box needed some adjustment which was easily done using the compact remote control and a bit of trial and error. In common with most TVs, the picture 'as is' out of the box is quite vivid and we found that taking the 'normal' picture setting more towards the true cinema settings resulted in an excellent lifelike picture. And if you get carried away, it is easy to reset the tv back to shipping condition and start again! Certainly the combination of the news channels, Wimbledon and the World Cup confirmed that the final picture settings were more than satisfactory.

Viewing angle in common with all LED sets is not as good as a plasma set (although plasmas are getting rarer and rarer now) and we found that at more extreme angles, the colours would fade out. If in doubt, see it in action before committing.

Sound quality is everything that you can expect from an ultra slimline affordable TV but, in all honesty, we have found it perfectly satisfactory for its use in a second room. If you crave surround sound, check that the available sockets (digital, HDMI ARC) meet your requirements lest you need to upgrade to a more fully featured tv.

No smart capabilities (i.e. no internet access/apps) but many people can access these via their set top box so no great hardship there. If you want a smart tv, look further up the range. Software updates are however done via the internet (ethernet port) but none are available yet.

Only two HDMI sockets which may be limiting to some if for example you have a games console, satellite box and blu-ray player.

Power consumption is low.

Our one small irritation is that to completely switch off the tv requires pressing of the side mounted on/off button for a few seconds. Get it wrong and it restarts the tv. Not a huge issue though .

Overall, a very good very basic TV that gives excellent picture quality but none of the 'smart' web based frills that have appeared on sets in recent years. If you simply want a full HD Freeview HD set, then this is well worth considering.

For those that are interested, I mounted the tv on the plasterboard faced hollow wall using an excellent bracket from Amazon i.e. VonHaus by Designer Habitat PREMIUM LCD, LED & Plasma Slim TV Wall Tilt Bracket Black Fits All Models - Samsung LG Sony Philips Toshiba - (23 - 37"), Super-Strength Load Capacity 75Kg, 15 Degree Up/Down Tilt Mechanism, Free Spirit Level which fitted this lightweight 39" tv perfectly. Add six Rawlplg plasterboard anchor bolts and the tv is very securely fixed to the wall.

5.0 out of 5 stars I tried some smart TVs out the other day in Currys just to ..., 11 Sep 2014
Ordered on Wednesday arrived on Thursday. I tried some smart TVs out the other day in Currys just to confirm what I had heard and they ain't that quick. I decided to get this 2014 model full HD TV as I already have a BT Youview box on my old CRT widescreen from 1999 and that is smart enough. Picture out of the box was a bit bright for my taste and colours a bit to hot but didn't take long to set it up as I like it. The HD picture off Freeview and the internet via the YouView is pinsharp.

Really good value. Forget Dumb sorry Smart TVs and use a Chromecast/Apple TV or other internet enabled box for the clever bits and you won't be disappointed. It does not have a VGA input but then most laptops and DVD/Blu-ray will all be HDMI now.

It's so light (9kg) you could hang it from a picture hook - well not really.

Oddly it has a SCART socket!

5.0 out of 5 stars 2014 Panasonic Viera A400 Widescreen LCD TV (42" and 50" Model) - A Review, 15 Jun 2014
Mark Barry "Mark Barry" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
I wanted to live with this 2014 Panasonic Viera A400 LCD Television Set (50" Model) for a few weeks before doing a review and I'm glad I did. In a nutshell - I'm really pleased with it and enjoying its huge range of facilities - but there are few things worth discussing and pointing out for prospective buyers.

Our home was previously the proud owner of a Sony BRAVIA LED 42" TV for over five years and going to another brand was going to be a gamble. So why move? The reason is price. These big televisions used to be £2000 two years ago - now the 2014 42" Panny is £350 and their 50" model is less than £500 (we actually got ours for £480 through a large retailer). That's incredible value for money for what you're getting.

The first couple of days made me feel disappointed after the clarity of the Sony - but of course it took a while for the screen to burn in and the picture quickly graduated to gorgeous. For instance the World Cup on ITV HD looks fabulous - as clear and as steady as you could hope for. But when you go back to Freeview and standard mode on Terrestrial TV - the quality naturally dips. But this will be the same on all TVs - and that's unfortunately a source problem few of us can do anything about (once you discover HD - you'll find it hard to watch anything else).

It's wide and skinny - and despite the sheer size of the outer box - deceptively light. The Panasonic has 5 Picture Aspects to choose from - Dynamic, Normal, Cinema, True Cinema and Game. I personally found anything except Dynamic too dull for my tastes. There are controls on Backlight, Contrast, Sound and even a Child Lock (and loads more). The 'Guide' Button throws up a TV Channels Menu that is easy to use and very clean once onscreen - and I personally like that the remote is small rather than long (easier to navigate). The set itself comes with its own stand (two people needed to mount it) or you can wall hang too of course (needs brackets). It searched out the channels during set-up automatically and we were off and running in minutes.

It has 2 HDMI sockets at the rear (when ideally it should be three) - so when both your DVD/BLU RAY player and your set-top box are plugged in - both HDMIs are used and there's no room for a games console. You can of course remove one HDMI lead and stick in another but that's a hassle few want. Machines with three HDMI sockets usually cost more. With regard to socket connectivity - here's what you actually get on the rear panels:

1. Digital Audio
2. Two x HDMI
3. AVI (Scart)
4. Ethernet
5. AV2 (Component / Video)
6. Terrestrial Aerial Socket
7. Headphone Jack
8. USB Port
9. CI Slot.

There is also Media Player Aspects to the television accessible via the remote. Insert a USB Flash Memory Stick and you can use Photo, Music and Movie Modes. I couldn't detect any Apps other than Freeview (I'm open to correction on this) - we get iPlayer etc. via our BLU RAY player.

The next thing to discuss is size. It depends completely on the room you're in. If you're telly room is small - then go for the 42" version of the A400 and don't think twice about it. It's truly staggering value for money and when using full 1080 HD - has a picture to die for. But if you've a room large enough to accommodate the 50" and enough distance to sit away from it - then go for that because it's a game changer - especially when you're viewing movies either from a download or a DVD or BLU RAY.

To give a simple example of this - I bought the BLU RAY reissue of "One Fine Day" starring George Clooney and Michelle Pfeiffer - which looked very good indeed on the 42". It's defaulted to Full Aspect Ratio so the picture fills the entire screen. But when allowed the stretch to 50" which extends the view on both the left and the right - it becomes an altogether different cinematic beast. It absolutely rocks because it's the first time we've felt cinema has actually come into our home. The detail and hugeness is amazing. Of course - it can also have the opposite effect - be 'too' big. Stretching of the image can be a problem - and you do need space away from the screen to 'not' see the blemishes. But in truth - once you've gone big (if you'll forgive the phallic pun) - it's hard to go back to the little guy. In place of a soundbar - we've also hooked the stereo (via a Marantz Amp) to the speaker jacks at the back of the telly (using QED Silver Anniversary cables with quality plugs) and the audio is rocking too.

The other aspect to all TV sets nowadays is downloads. We use a cheap £70 Sony BLU RAY player to stream BBC iPlayer, Netflix and Amazon's Love Film/Prime. I find the quality on Amazon to be average at best - and the TV choices old and useless. In comparison to Netflix they really need to get their act together. They also charge handsomely for anything that's relatively new or half decent and their 'no pence' film offerings are uninspired and often dire.

Netflix is the opposite. Whoever chooses the movies for them looks for goodies the viewers have either forgotten or not seen at all ("Ondine", "IQ", "The Secret In Their Eyes", "Dot The I", "Love Is All You Need", "Gone Baby Gone" etc.) Also - when you're downloading from Netflix the Super HD mode will kick in - and this Panasonic with its full 1080 HD quality puts a picture on screen that defies belief (Season 2 of "Orange Is The New Black" and "House Of Cards" both look incredible). You're sat there thinking - is this really a download - because its hard to tell the difference between a stream and a BLU RAY. Good examples of films looking stunning on the Panny from download are "Seabiscuit", "Priceless", "Moonstruck", "Populaire" and "The Giant Mechanical Man" (or "Love In Detroit" as its called in some territories - see review).

Overall - this is a fabulous television set that's within most people's budget. Whether you chose a 50" or a 42" model - these new Panasonics make for a dynamic duo indeed...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great picture with basic features, 20 Jun 2014
The picture is excellent for this price. You lose out on many features, but if you don't need them this is a no-brainer. I have the TV connected to my PC, so didn't really need any smart features. The lack of HDMI ports can be easily solved with a HDMI switch too. 3D as I'm sure everyone knows is quite niche.

The TV is good looking, with a thin bezel and a great open stand that you can put a speaker/something else within.

One minus point is the on-screen interface, which is quite ugly compared to my 40" Samsung. The guide also has no picture-in-picture, and flicking through the guide actually changes the channel instead of simply letting you view what is on with your current channel in the background.

I could not remove a star for the interface though, as this is a 50" set for ~£500 which gives you a great picture.

Did not purchase from Amazon as I found it slightly cheaper at Tesco for a short time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great TV! First model faulty and no shipping refund, 17 Sep 2014

A first worldy-nightmare wait for two failed courier pickups, the 3rd finally arrives for their £45 fee [inc insurance incase it goes missing]. And Amazon refunds for £3.99 for postage; so i'm £41.01 out of pocket to ensure the safe arrival of this huge tv. Most couriers didn't want to touch my parcel due to the weight & size. So it's either risk the TV going missing, or pay the insurance on the cost.

So is this legal? I think being 40 quid out of pocket due to a fault is pretty messed up. Not happy Amazon!

5.0 out of 5 stars highly recommended, 6 Sep 2014
Mark (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Great 50 inch TV for the money but limited by only two HDMI slots. Still highly recommended