5.0 out of 5 stars First foray into Smart and flat TV
We have gone from an old cathode ray Sony massive beast of a Telly to this one. Quite a change indeed. First impressions are very good.

1. Setup, really easy, took all necessary software updates from the go, and put a few apps on. Plugged in the HDMI cable, ethernet lead, tv aerial, composite video (for the Wii) and all ready to go in minutes.

2...
Published 4 months ago by Mr. H. Jones

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so smart...
The TV itself has an exceptional picture, sound is good.
Easy to set up but.........
The Apps are limited in what's available and some of the apps are very, very old. The user interface even with a keyboard plugged in is clunky, the browser is difficult and slow to use.
I wanted social apps on my tv more than anything but FB is ancient & I can't get twitter...
Published 3 months ago by Mrs V L C Wise

5.0 out of 5 stars First foray into Smart and flat TV, 16 May 2014

2. Picture - very impressed. I have held off on LED tvs as they seemed to be a bit shadowy and not as good as old fashioned tvs. not any more. the HD channels in particular, on freeview, and from my humax freesat box all look very good.

3. Sound - the TV sound itself is fine for us but not stellar, I was not expecting that to be brilliant. What is good though is being able to feed optical surround sound from the tv to the surround sound system we have, and because that is also Panasonic the volume syncs so you don't need to change remotes, nice! Movies over freeview through the surround sound kick a nice 5.1 surround sound out, maybe not as bassy as a DVD, and also the volume has to be really pushed up to be right, so remember to turn the volume down again before you switch to a DVD!

4. Apps - This was suprisingly good. We don't have superfast broadband and our previous attempts at iplayer on the humax or wii have been dire, and youtube on the laptop leaves a bit to be desired. On the Panasonic Youtube, iplayer, and now our netflix trial all work fine, no buffering. I guess the technology has moved on a bit and somehow these things stream better. HD videos of cycle stunt riders on youtube never looked so good! I do use eurosport player on the laptop from time to time, I get the crowd pass for some months of the year, May in particular for the Giro d'Italia cycle race. Unfortunately this APP on the Panasonic is dreadful. It stops and starts all the time and then goes black, and does not recover. This does not happen at the same time of day when the same thing works fine on a laptop and netflix/youtube etc all work fine on the Panasonic at the same time of day. So assuming Eurosport have not got a very reliable App there so raised a support call with them.

Any down sides? There should be more HDMI ports, 2 is not going to be enough for the future. There is bound to be another device we want to plug in soon. Also why is there no SD card part. The thing I like on other Panasonic TVs I have seen is being able to put an SD card in from your Panasonic video camera and play videos straight from there, nice an neat but sadly missing from this TV. One final minor gripe is the Home button and the up arrow are too close together, I keep pressing home when I am half way through typing in a search on youtube, ARGH!

Overall. Could not be happier with it. I could have got a 42" but its simply too big for the space we have, so 32" is just fine and has really improved our enjoyment of vision and sound in out living room. Hard to believe that these things now come so cheap compared to a few years ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smarter than I expected!, 17 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Yes, this is a 4.5-star television. I have some criticisms.

Obvious good points are HUGE screen, FULL 1080p HD (where available), Freeview, Internet/Web connection and impressive sound. I don't know how such a thin telly can produce such a good sound. (But then again I know nothing about electronics, so this ignorance is not unexpected.)

It is relatively easy to assemble - I mean to fix the stand to the TV and to connect all the cables. But it was a two-man job, really. The buttons actually on the TV are tiny and quite hidden away on the back at the right side as Panasonic probably thinks (a) everyone uses the remote now and (b) that people will only ever turn the product on once and then leave the set on stand-by for the rest of its life. I'm not sure what the power consumption is on stand-by but I know and am pleased that LED sets are much cheaper to run. On Amazon's page it says the set's "energy efficiency class" is A+, which I'm guessing is the MOST efficient category currently available. Switched on power consumption is only 63 watts! That's like one incandescent (old) light bulb - amazing!

I like the thin frame/bezel. The remote is good as all the buttons are quite large and are marked well.

The remote has many buttons. All the usual things that older sets had, but it has, in addition, FOUR main buttons: Apps, Home, Guide and, in the centre, OK/Select. The Home Screen, accessed by pressing Home button on remote, is the centre of the TV's 'smartness'. Here you can access apps (and add more) - like YouTube, BBC iPlayer, Netflix, etc. - and you can manage any photos or media you have uploaded. You can also use a search box if you're ever stuck of have a query, and you can re-play tutorials. I do like the on-screen graphics - things like fonts, colours and general design. It's easy to navigate and looks good. The Guide button on the remote displays a comprehensive TV guide. There is no paper manual.

Home is also where you can customise your viewing experience. You can select backgrounds from a limited library or take and upload your own photos. This is also where Settings is based. In the Settings menu you can tweak the display, sound and other things to your heart's content. I think the default is OK as it is. I didn't need to change anything like brightness, contrast, saturation or anything. But if you experiment too much and want to cancel your changes, it's good to know you can reset to default settings! And start all over again... or not.

The "100hz Back-Light Blinking" is interesting. I didn't know what it was at first when I read the details on the box. I thought it may literally be a light projection from the rear of the set to complement what's on the screen - e.g. when watching football with mostly GREEN grass on the screen, I thought green light would gently surround the TV, too. I have seen this feature before. Anyway, it basically means that the picture fades out gently and then fades in again whenever you switch screens - e.g. changing a channel. So there is no quick and jerky picture change that most sets have, or used to have. Without this, sets blink, freeze or flash when the screen is changed for whatever reason.

I was really looking forward to the "mirroring" feature which basically projects whatever is on your smartphone or tablet onto the big screen. I had some trouble with this. I eventually learned, with some help and discussion, that I had to press the remote's Apps button, then scroll down to Mirroring virtual, on-screen button. On doing this the screen displays a cryptic message to the effect that now one must connect one's smart device to the television, but gave no clue as to how this could be achieved - not even a hint. I eventually discovered that I had to search for Wi-Fi Direct on my tablet until a Viera connection was available, which I accept. Then on my tablet I select Options > Display > Cast Screen and am then asked by the Panasonic if I want to accept this connection. I do this and a connection is established. The resulting projection is a little slow - it definitely lags behind my tablet by a second or so. So, not dramatically slow, but a small irritation. However, this is the best way to access the Net with this TV. The TV does have its own Web browser but it is tiresome using this with the remote control.

Also, a Panasonic app can be had on one's smartphone or tablet (free on Android, at least). It basically turns one's tablet/phone into a remote control. I'm not really sure that this is needed as why would more than one remote be required for ONE television? Only one screen can be watched at one time so only one remote is required. This is a bit like an experimental app... or just a gimmick.

And then...

The picture is good, the sound is good and the set is lighter and thinner than my "HD Ready" slightly thin Sony Bravia, which this item replaced. The UI is very intuitive and easy to get the hang of. Like I said, the buttons' functions are clearly marked. The remote takes two AA batteries (supplied). I don't think I really have anything bad to say about this. The only related disappointment was that not ALL channels are currently 1080p HD. (I know this isn't Panasonic's fault.) This is most evident when national news changes to regional news. An error message comes up saying that HD is not available in my region and the screen displays a countdown timer counting down the minutes and seconds until HD is restored. BUT why can't this 'smart' TV AUTOMATICALLY change back to regular digital when no HD is available and then switch back to HD when that resumes? Why must the user do this manually if the TV is so 'smart'? I suppose this will be resolved in the fullness of time...

As an aside, to convert the main channels to HD just add 100. So, BBC One HD is 101, BBC Two HD is 102, ITV HD is 103 and so on. Surprisingly someone had to tell me this as I would have had to research that online or stumble across HD whilst exploring the television's guide. Seems like an embarrassing oversight and presumption on Panasonic's part. Not everyone is an expert in new technology.

In summary: I like it very much. I recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent TV but DO NOT use USB powered external speakers!!, 4 Sep 2014
Early days but so far and we love this TV especially that we can watch Youtube as a family in the living room. However one fairly minor issue is with the TV speakers which at times, especially with deeper tones of bass, annoyingly vibrate and buzz. We did not though feel this problem severe enough for us to return the set as everthing else about it seems in excellent order! Instead after much research I puchased, again off Amazon, these USB powered speakers:
Krator 2.1 Multimedia Stereo Home Cinema Surround Sound Theatre System TV PC Speakers Subwoofer

PROBLEM that Panasonic do not make you aware of! I plugged in the speakers all seemed fine at first with very nice sound, BUT when I turned up the volume (headphone) via remote the volume died. The speakers had lost power, I then tested the USB port with a memory stick as I feared the USB was damaged, the memory stick was not detected. I unplugged the TV and powered on again, thankfully this time the USB was working again. I decided not to risk these speakers again in the TV in case it breaks something again.
I then contacted Panasonic, the lady informed me that under NO CiRCUMSTANCES should USB speakers be used with this TV, I should in fact only use optical or HDMI speakers. I queried why this was not made clear in the Panasonic information sources and she could only apoligise, I stressed that I would complain to Panasonic and post reviews on Amazon to warn unsuspecting customers that these speakers are unsuitable and may break their TV. Quite annoyed about the inconvenience we have been put through and almost felt that Panasonic were fobbing us off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent TV and huge value for money, 28 May 2014
Having just seen the price go back up after I purchased I'm even happier! Very easy to set up. Just do the software update to ensure its fully up to date with latest apps. Only negative as others wrote, only 2 HDMI ports, but usual SCART, composite, USB etc. perfectly adequate. Remote APP to share pictures & video is really impressive and lots of fun. I paid £549 and have got an £800 value TV. Note Amazon describes it as LED, the box says LCD. Don't panic its correct...I think.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Smart TV, 30 July 2014
The area of the country where I live has dreadful Freeview signal and my other TV suffers from constant pixellation and freezing ... so chose this TV with the intention of using wireless connection to view programmes but forgot I only have Phone and Broadband in my package ! However, during setup it duly found all the available Freeview channels and to my surprise ... with almost perfect reception. Being a true Scot I'm reluctant to fork out more cash to upgrade my Broadband package to include TV so I'm happy to stick with the excellent results this set is giving me on Freeview ! .. It also has numerous Apps, most of which I am unlikely to use being one of life's technophobes, but I'm sure my teenage daughter will make full use of them. Packaging and delivery excellent and trouble free.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good TV, limited on apps., 26 Aug 2014
For the price an excellent TV. Picture and sound are good and the SMART side is very easy to use.
Just a couple of points the apps available are quite limited, it says catch up TV but in reality this is just BBC iplayer, none of the others like ITV player or 4od are available. Plus it doesn't work with Amazon Prime.
Only other small issue is the layout of the buttons on the control, may be just me but I keep pressing the home button instead of the up arrow to go through the menus.
Overall though I find it to be good quality, the setup was easy and for the price I am really not complaining.

5.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic / BBC apps upload from 15th April 2014, 2 April 2014
I have been looking at this model and can advise that the BBC apps will be automatically uploaded onto these TV's from the 15th April 2014....this means that all you have to do is accept the message that appears on your screen and the BBC apps ( BBC i player, BBC News, BBC Sports ) will upload onto the TV.

4.0 out of 5 stars very good clear screen, 27 July 2014
very good clear screen. easy to st up. light weight to handle. picture fills the frame. very pleased with purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good picture, mediocre sound, 27 Jun 2014
JM (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Length:: 0:27 Mins

== UNBOXING ==

Turned it on, went to apps. Things seem to be missing and I somehow got stuck in a menu, with a really irritating "voice guide". (it was as grating as the "unexpected item in bagging area" you hear at the self-checkouts)

Thankfully the fix to this was a software update over the internet. (I selected my WiFi network and entered my password) (there is an ethernet port on the back, in case you're wondering, but the wireless worked flawlessly for me)

You have to wait while it downloads (takes about 5 mins). Then it turns restarts whilst the LED flashes (takes about a minute). [ see video - approx 8 seconds in]

I then turned it on, pressed 'apps' and was greeted by a wall of familiar logos, including iPlayer and YouTube.
Hurray!YouTube, Netflix run smoothly. You can watch TV with no aerial or satellite connection. Marvellous.

The iPlayer app is solid and certainly a better experience than on my laptop. I was able to watch "Mock The Week", for example. (Tip: turn 'HD' on in the iPlayer menu)

This is a good "smart" TV. That is, it can stream video content of the internet rather than via a conventional TV aerial or satellite box.

== CRITICISMS ==
- The sound is what you might expect from integrated speakers. It's just "okay", maybe slightly disappointing.
- The built in web browser is bad - pages don't render correctly, and it's really fiddly.
- The UI is not consistent - sometimes it seems a bit cryptic as to what you need to do to advance to the next screen. (For example, to progress to the screen after entering my WiFi password).

== COMMENTS ==
- Dimensions with stand: 1,126 x 697 x 260 mm
- Dimensions without stand: 1,126 x 652 x 53 mm
- Don't get too excited by the Skype App - you need to buy a special camera to use it.
- Pixels: 1920 x 1080
- Viewing Angle: 176 degree

== CONNECTIVITY ==
- It DOESN'T have: SD card reader
- in: two HDMI (on the back) ; USB 2.0 ; ethernet port; scart socket (on the back) ; component video RCA phono type (on the back)
- out: headphones socket (on the side); optical digital audio out (rear)

== FORMATS SUPPORTED BY BUILT IN MEDIA PLAYER ==
- WMA Pro
- FLAC
- WAV
- JPEG

5.0 out of 5 stars Really pleased with this & the swipe & share is a ..., 6 Aug 2014
This review is from: Panasonic TX-42AS500B 42-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD Smart LED TV with Built-In Wi-Fi and Freeview (New for 2014) (Electronics)
2nd Panasonic TV & Nothing beats it!! Really pleased with this & the swipe & share is a great feature!!!!