5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent TV after adjustment
Well it looks like I'm the first person to review this TV so I'll keep it short and sweet.

Good points:

Published 3 months ago by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic service centre were completely useless, telling me that my hdmi cable was to ...
DO NOT BUY! I have had 2 of these sets in a row and both of them exhibit uneven backlighting, being darker in the bottom left and top left corners and brighter in the top right and bottom right with light bleeds all along the bottom. Panasonic service centre were completely useless, telling me that my hdmi cable was to blame for uneven backlighting despite this occurring...
Published 3 days ago by L. Golden

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent TV after adjustment, 15 May 2014
Amazon Customer (Chatteris, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

Good points:

The picture. Out the box it's amazing for a computer game, but for more realistic colours and softer viewing I just needed to adjust the TV settings to something a little less garish and bright. This isn't a fault, it's set to what most people like these days at switch on. It's got a better picture than my previous viera TV and cost half the price! Sound is OK for a slim TV with some tone adjustments. I didn't need a smart TV as I just use my TV as a monitor, I don't even use the TV's tuner. Most people these days use roku, sky, humax etc so having a multitude of internet added apps just seems a waste as I never used them on the previous TV. Despite tech specs this TV does have an ethernet connection although I have no idea what it's for.

Bad points:

Only 2 HDMI inputs. A bit stingy to say the least but it's enough for my set top box and ps3.

TV gets 5 stars and I'm far from disappointed. Excellent if you don't need all the bangs and whistles (that you'll never use)

5.0 out of 5 stars Basic Features.. But Good Quality, 30 July 2014
Great TV. Nothing to complain about with the picture or the sound. Only downside is the interface and program selection is a little slow and old fashioned. Would be nice to be able to scroll through the channel list without having to mash the down arrow. However this is not advertised as a smart TV and I didn't buy it for any fancy features. If your hooking this up to a separate Freeview, Tivo or Sky box then you don't have to worry about the channel list been a little slow and it would be perfect for you.

Basically: Quality Picture and Sound. Just a little basic with the features. Perfect for use in combination with a separate system and/or games console.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good lightweight basic full HD LED TV, 2 July 2014
Cheshire Cat (Warrington, Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Panasonic TX-39A400B 39-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD Slim LED TV with Freeview (New for 2014) (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Used to flat screen tvs of even a few years ago, the first very pleasant shock on receiving this tv is how light this 39" tv is, circa 10kg. Light enough for me to easily carry single handed and for me to also mount it with no difficulty on a plaster board faced hollow wall! See photos.

The screen bezel is very small which contributes to a pleasing overall appearance.

Auto-tuning was quick and painless with Freeview HD giving excellent results. Connecting to a Sky HD box via one of the two HDMI sockets was easy , even with the wall mounted TV offering limited space for cables. One issue(not the fault of theTV) was that it could not automatically detect the Sky box and switch to the HDMI input. A problem I believe with the Sky box not sending the appropriate signal as opposed to the TV. It was very easy in any case to switch on the remote from 'TV' to 'AV" as the two buttons are side by side at the top of the remote.

Picture quality out of the box needed some adjustment which was easily done using the compact remote control and a bit of trial and error. In common with most TVs, the picture 'as is' out of the box is quite vivid and we found that taking the 'normal' picture setting more towards the true cinema settings resulted in an excellent lifelike picture. And if you get carried away, it is easy to reset the tv back to shipping condition and start again! Certainly the combination of the news channels, Wimbledon and the World Cup confirmed that the final picture settings were more than satisfactory.

Viewing angle in common with all LED sets is not as good as a plasma set (although plasmas are getting rarer and rarer now) and we found that at more extreme angles, the colours would fade out. If in doubt, see it in action before committing.

Sound quality is everything that you can expect from an ultra slimline affordable TV but, in all honesty, we have found it perfectly satisfactory for its use in a second room. If you crave surround sound, check that the available sockets (digital, HDMI ARC) meet your requirements lest you need to upgrade to a more fully featured tv.

No smart capabilities (i.e. no internet access/apps) but many people can access these via their set top box so no great hardship there. If you want a smart tv, look further up the range. Software updates are however done via the internet (ethernet port) but none are available yet.

Only two HDMI sockets which may be limiting to some if for example you have a games console, satellite box and blu-ray player.

Power consumption is low.

Our one small irritation is that to completely switch off the tv requires pressing of the side mounted on/off button for a few seconds. Get it wrong and it restarts the tv. Not a huge issue though .

Overall, a very good very basic TV that gives excellent picture quality but none of the 'smart' web based frills that have appeared on sets in recent years. If you simply want a full HD Freeview HD set, then this is well worth considering.

For those that are interested, I mounted the tv on the plasterboard faced hollow wall using an excellent bracket from Amazon i.e. VonHaus by Designer Habitat PREMIUM LCD, LED & Plasma Slim TV Wall Tilt Bracket Black Fits All Models - Samsung LG Sony Philips Toshiba - (23 - 37"), Super-Strength Load Capacity 75Kg, 15 Degree Up/Down Tilt Mechanism, Free Spirit Level which fitted this lightweight 39" tv perfectly. Add six Rawlplg plasterboard anchor bolts and the tv is very securely fixed to the wall.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2014 Panasonic Viera A400 Widescreen LCD TV (42" and 50" Model) - A Review, 15 Jun 2014
Mark Barry "Mark Barry" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
I wanted to live with this 2014 Panasonic Viera A400 LCD Television Set (50" Model) for a few weeks before doing a review and I'm glad I did. In a nutshell - I'm really pleased with it and enjoying its huge range of facilities - but there are few things worth discussing and pointing out for prospective buyers.

Our home was previously the proud owner of a Sony BRAVIA LED 42" TV for over five years and going to another brand was going to be a gamble. So why move? The reason is price. These big televisions used to be 2000 two years ago - now the 2014 42" Panny is 350 and their 50" model is less than 500 (we actually got ours for 480 through a large retailer). That's incredible value for money for what you're getting.

The first couple of days made me feel disappointed after the clarity of the Sony - but of course it took a while for the screen to burn in and the picture quickly graduated to gorgeous. For instance the World Cup on ITV HD looks fabulous - as clear and as steady as you could hope for. But when you go back to Freeview and standard mode on Terrestrial TV - the quality naturally dips. But this will be the same on all TVs - and that's unfortunately a source problem few of us can do anything about (once you discover HD - you'll find it hard to watch anything else).

It's wide and skinny - and despite the sheer size of the outer box - deceptively light. The Panasonic has 5 Picture Aspects to choose from - Dynamic, Normal, Cinema, True Cinema and Game. I personally found anything except Dynamic too dull for my tastes. There are controls on Backlight, Contrast, Sound and even a Child Lock (and loads more). The 'Guide' Button throws up a TV Channels Menu that is easy to use and very clean once onscreen - and I personally like that the remote is small rather than long (easier to navigate). The set itself comes with its own stand (two people needed to mount it) or you can wall hang too of course (needs brackets). It searched out the channels during set-up automatically and we were off and running in minutes.

It has 2 HDMI sockets at the rear (when ideally it should be three) - so when both your DVD/BLU RAY player and your set-top box are plugged in - both HDMIs are used and there's no room for a games console. You can of course remove one HDMI lead and stick in another but that's a hassle few want. Machines with three HDMI sockets usually cost more. With regard to socket connectivity - here's what you actually get on the rear panels:

1. Digital Audio
2. Two x HDMI
3. AVI (Scart)
4. Ethernet
5. AV2 (Component / Video)
6. Terrestrial Aerial Socket
7. Headphone Jack
8. USB Port
9. CI Slot.

There is also Media Player Aspects to the television accessible via the remote. Insert a USB Flash Memory Stick and you can use Photo, Music and Movie Modes. I couldn't detect any Apps other than Freeview (I'm open to correction on this) - we get iPlayer etc. via our BLU RAY player.

The next thing to discuss is size. It depends completely on the room you're in. If you're telly room is small - then go for the 42" version of the A400 and don't think twice about it. It's truly staggering value for money and when using full 1080 HD - has a picture to die for. But if you've a room large enough to accommodate the 50" and enough distance to sit away from it - then go for that because it's a game changer - especially when you're viewing movies either from a download or a DVD or BLU RAY.

To give a simple example of this - I bought the BLU RAY reissue of "One Fine Day" starring George Clooney and Michelle Pfeiffer - which looked very good indeed on the 42". It's defaulted to Full Aspect Ratio so the picture fills the entire screen. But when allowed the stretch to 50" which extends the view on both the left and the right - it becomes an altogether different cinematic beast. It absolutely rocks because it's the first time we've felt cinema has actually come into our home. The detail and hugeness is amazing. Of course - it can also have the opposite effect - be 'too' big. Stretching of the image can be a problem - and you do need space away from the screen to 'not' see the blemishes. But in truth - once you've gone big (if you'll forgive the phallic pun) - it's hard to go back to the little guy. In place of a soundbar - we've also hooked the stereo (via a Marantz Amp) to the speaker jacks at the back of the telly (using QED Silver Anniversary cables with quality plugs) and the audio is rocking too.

The other aspect to all TV sets nowadays is downloads. We use a cheap 70 Sony BLU RAY player to stream BBC iPlayer, Netflix and Amazon's Love Film/Prime. I find the quality on Amazon to be average at best - and the TV choices old and useless. In comparison to Netflix they really need to get their act together. They also charge handsomely for anything that's relatively new or half decent and their 'no pence' film offerings are uninspired and often dire.

Netflix is the opposite. Whoever chooses the movies for them looks for goodies the viewers have either forgotten or not seen at all ("Ondine", "IQ", "The Secret In Their Eyes", "Dot The I", "Love Is All You Need", "Gone Baby Gone" etc.) Also - when you're downloading from Netflix the Super HD mode will kick in - and this Panasonic with its full 1080 HD quality puts a picture on screen that defies belief (Season 2 of "Orange Is The New Black" and "House Of Cards" both look incredible). You're sat there thinking - is this really a download - because its hard to tell the difference between a stream and a BLU RAY. Good examples of films looking stunning on the Panny from download are "Seabiscuit", "Priceless", "Moonstruck", "Populaire" and "The Giant Mechanical Man" (or "Love In Detroit" as its called in some territories - see review).

Overall - this is a fabulous television set that's within most people's budget. Whether you chose a 50" or a 42" model - these new Panasonics make for a dynamic duo indeed...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great picture with basic features, 20 Jun 2014
The picture is excellent for this price. You lose out on many features, but if you don't need them this is a no-brainer. I have the TV connected to my PC, so didn't really need any smart features. The lack of HDMI ports can be easily solved with a HDMI switch too. 3D as I'm sure everyone knows is quite niche.

The TV is good looking, with a thin bezel and a great open stand that you can put a speaker/something else within.

One minus point is the on-screen interface, which is quite ugly compared to my 40" Samsung. The guide also has no picture-in-picture, and flicking through the guide actually changes the channel instead of simply letting you view what is on with your current channel in the background.

I could not remove a star for the interface though, as this is a 50" set for ~500 which gives you a great picture.

Did not purchase from Amazon as I found it slightly cheaper at Tesco for a short time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Panasonic TV, 25 Jun 2014
Here's an unboxing and review video (hope it helps) : http://youtu.be/DCHbqcPVwQ0

Very happy with this Panasonic TV, due to an Amazon 1 day deal I got this for 282.99 and for that price this TV has been well worth the money! I got the 39" but also available in 32", 42", and 50" ,2x HDMI, 1x USB, Built in Freeview HD, HD pictures are great and SD pictures are as expected, sturdy/ reliable stand, remote a good size and weight, 100Hz, A+ energy rating, V-Audio processing, sound quality is more than acceptable however if you like to hear deep bass then speakers/ soundbar is an easy option from AUX port, TV can be mounted on a wall if necessary. A definitely step up from previous 4 year old TV! At the price when I bought this TV it's a definite recommendation however at its current price I'm sure you wont be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars A basic TV with a great quality picture, 2 Jun 2014
Conor Mulhern (SW London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This TV was purchased to replace an older TV in my home AV system and is being used just as a display. I've only been using it for a few days but some first thoughts.

- Great quality display, thin bezel and lovely picture, but the TV has a basic feature set.

- It has 'just' two HDMI inputs.

- Beyond a feature called "Interaction Channel" the TV provides no smart services, in fact given the almost complete lack of smart features the inclusion of an Ethernet port is surprising.

- As with many modern thin TVs the sound quality isn't great, it does the job but no more, but as I use an AV amp it's not an issue.

- The TV only seems to support over-the-air software updating, so no updates over the internet or using the USB port.

- The HDMI ports are on the rear of the set and 'point' out towards the rear, so using straight HDMI plugs may be difficult if the set is mounted on a wall. I used a 90 HDMI socket adapter (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/product/) so I could re-use my existing straight cables.

- TV has an Auto Standby feature which turns the TV off after a period of time if no operations are performed on the TV, this is slightly annoying if you're using the TV just as a display and therefore don't need to use the TV's remote, but this can be turned off.

- I haven't managed to get the Audio Return Feature (ARC) to work, but this may be a configuration issue with my amp, but as I'm only using the TV as a display I haven't looked into this too far.

- Freeview looked lovely, especially with HD channels and I seem to have all the channels I expected.

- I threw a load of various differing .mkv, .m4v and .avi files on a 32GB USB memory device (which is the largest device the TV claims to support) and TV's media player played everything without issues.

Having said all that, if you're looking for a basic TV with a great quality picture then this may be the one for you. I use the TV as a display with my AV amp providing all the sound and HDMI switching for my freeview recorder, AppleTV, Roku, and other devices. It does just what I want and no more and I'm extremely pleased with this TV. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Non-Smart TV, but still a smart choice., 3 July 2014
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Gone are the thick plastic bezels of yesteryear, infact - most TVs at the moment look pretty indistinct as they all feature ultra-thin bezels and minimalist stands. They are quite beautiful and the lack of thick plastic border around the screen makes the overall device a bit smaller and makes the screen look somehow bigger. This Panasonic model fits that aesthetic and comes in the rather strange screen size of 39 inches, which seems to have replaced the 37 inch standard screen size for Panasonic. It certainly looks pretty, but is it any good...? [UPDATED REVIEW REGARDING EXTERNAL MEMORY]]

In short, yes. The TV fits together easily (the base needs slotting into the TV, this doesn't take long) and once assembled, the series 400 (non Smart TV) looks just like the series 500 (the Smart TV version). Once you switch it on it immediately scans for channels, which was quicker than I expected and all channels were picked up. And that's it - within 10 minutes of opening the box, I had the telly all set up and running. I did panic slightly as the box says this is an LCD TV when I wanted (and expected LED), but the Amazon website does state that this is an LED and to expect the box to say it's LCD. There is also an explanation as to why this is, without going into too much detail: LED TVs are LCD TVs - the LED element comes from the way the TVs are backlight, so don't worry - this *is* an LED TV. This model is a little bit cheaper than the Smart TV version, but whether you want to spend that little bit more depends on what you want from your machine - I have this set, but I've also been using the Smart TV version too so I can give a comparison of features and performance. The actual picture is amazing, pin sharp and very vibrant. Possibly a little too vibrant and I changed the settings slightly to tone the colour down a tad. But films and videogames look amazing

The menus are easy to use, I find that Panasonic and Samsung TVs have pretty intuitive menus with Sony TVs (though incredibly well built) having multi-layered menus which are a nightmare to navigate. I don't need Smart TV features as I plug my TV into my PS4 and I use services such as iPlayer and Netflix through that. The product description on the box says that the USB media reader only supports external memory up to 32GB, I have a 500GB external hard disk plugged in and it seemed to work fine initially - it found files and played them - however, it then stopped playing after a while and would say that no input device is found. I have since retried with a 32 memory dongle and it plays the file fine. So my hope that this would take beyond 32GB were raised and then dashed! The media menu is pretty quick with the 32GB dongle. Thankfully, instead of searching for ALL media files in one go (which my Sony TV does - and hangs for up to 10 minutes!), this shows folders and once you've selected the folder you want - it then displays the files inside that folder. File support is excellent, MKV, MP4 and it also recognises FLAC audio (which Samsung do not). The remote control is refreshingly small and doesn't have a bewildering amount of buttons. It does however have a "media player" button which instantly allows you to access media files on your storage device - that makes life so much simpler as my kids can easily press the button and then watch the things they want to watch without me having to find my way through labyrinthine menus.

Obviously, as this is not a Smart TV there is a lack of apps. I can assure you that the performance of this TV is the same as the slightly more expensive 500 series as they are essentially the same machine other than this has no WiFi or apps or screen mirroring. The 500 series apps seem to work well, though I only ever use iPlayer and Netflix. If you want the convenience of being able to use those services without having to use another device then it's a no-brainer - pay the small amount extra (about 40 at the time of writing this) and you can have a standalone TV set with access to streaming services and a web browser (which I've never used). But if you already have a device which handles apps (be it Chromecast, a media box, or a games console), then you may as well save the cash because all other features are the same. I've read some criticism that this only has 2 HMDI ports, if you have multiple devices which need to be plugged in at the same time then I suppose that rules out this TV - but I have a games console and my Youview box - two is all I need and I suspect most folk wouldn't need more unless you have several games consoles and want them left plugged in. The USB port for my external hard drive works well and it's a powered USB port (my external hard disk wouldn't work otherwise).

In a nutshell: Currently this is a little pricey but the price has changed quite a bit since this was launched, the original RRP of 499 is a little high for a what is a lovely, but basic TV set - and at that price I would have to give it 4 stars as you can get more for your money with other models. But at three-hundred-and-odd pounds, this is an easy 5 star purchase. If you don't want Smart features then this does what you want, you may want to pay a little more for the Smart version - but these days you can buy dongles (Chromecast is popular and others are following) which will add Smart features for only a small outlay.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning quality without the 'bells or whistles', 4 July 2014
Max (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There's certainly nothing flashy about this Panasonic 39 inch LED TV. There are no Smart Wi-Fi features, there's no 3D compatability, there's no voice recoginition, no fancy audio/display settings. What you're getting is an all round great TV with a fantastic picture, great audio and Freeview HD.

I'm using currently to play my Playstation 4 on and it's amazing. The full 1080p HD looks stunning. Blu Ray films also look terrific with a wide viewing angle of 176 degrees. It's also a very slim TV with hardly any border around the outside. I'm not sure why this is a 39 inch TV when most companies offer 40 inch, but it hardly matters as this TV is big enough for most living rooms. It also won't dominate a room and the minimalist stand means you can have this TV in just about any setting. It's a lightweight TV too so it's easy for just one person to set it up and get it on the stand.

There are only two HDMI ports, if you want to connect a lot of devices this may be an issue for you. One HDMI connection is ARC (Audio Return Channel) ready, meaning you canconnect to a soundbar or surround sound system. I would recommend buying a soundbar if you plan to use it for a larger living room as the in built speakers aren't giving you the best bass response.

Freeview HD setup was ultra easy, done in around 4 minutes and had a wide range of channels plus all the main HD channels all look really good.

For a basic TV without any of the 'bells and whistles' many Smart TVs have, this is a great investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 14 July 2014
This is fantastic. We have finally upgraded from a 27" big box Panasonic to this whopping great 42"!!
Attached to Sky+HD and WOW what a picture.
Very easy to set up and attach to Sky, DVD and Wii. The sound, picture and options are easy to use.
Very pleased