5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent TV after adjustment
Well it looks like I'm the first person to review this TV so I'll keep it short and sweet.

Good points:

Published 10 months ago by Amazon Customer

Published 7 months ago by L. Golden

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent TV after adjustment, 15 May 2014
Amazon Customer (Chatteris, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

Good points:

The picture. Out the box it's amazing for a computer game, but for more realistic colours and softer viewing I just needed to adjust the TV settings to something a little less garish and bright. This isn't a fault, it's set to what most people like these days at switch on. It's got a better picture than my previous viera TV and cost half the price! Sound is OK for a slim TV with some tone adjustments. I didn't need a smart TV as I just use my TV as a monitor, I don't even use the TV's tuner. Most people these days use roku, sky, humax etc so having a multitude of internet added apps just seems a waste as I never used them on the previous TV. Despite tech specs this TV does have an ethernet connection although I have no idea what it's for.

Bad points:

Only 2 HDMI inputs. A bit stingy to say the least but it's enough for my set top box and ps3.

TV gets 5 stars and I'm far from disappointed. Excellent if you don't need all the bangs and whistles (that you'll never use)

5.0 out of 5 stars Smarter than I expected!, 17 July 2014
SAP "Steba" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Yes, this is a 4.5-star television. I have some criticisms.

Obvious good points are HUGE screen, FULL 1080p HD (where available), Freeview, Internet/Web connection and impressive sound. I don't know how such a thin telly can produce such a good sound. (But then again I know nothing about electronics, so this ignorance is not unexpected.)

It is relatively easy to assemble - I mean to fix the stand to the TV and to connect all the cables. But it was a two-man job, really. The buttons actually on the TV are tiny and quite hidden away on the back at the right side as Panasonic probably thinks (a) everyone uses the remote now and (b) that people will only ever turn the product on once and then leave the set on stand-by for the rest of its life. I'm not sure what the power consumption is on stand-by but I know and am pleased that LED sets are much cheaper to run. On Amazon's page it says the set's "energy efficiency class" is A+, which I'm guessing is the MOST efficient category currently available. Switched on power consumption is only 63 watts! That's like one incandescent (old) light bulb - amazing!

I like the thin frame/bezel. The remote is good as all the buttons are quite large and are marked well.

The remote has many buttons. All the usual things that older sets had, but it has, in addition, FOUR main buttons: Apps, Home, Guide and, in the centre, OK/Select. The Home Screen, accessed by pressing Home button on remote, is the centre of the TV's 'smartness'. Here you can access apps (and add more) - like YouTube, BBC iPlayer, Netflix, etc. - and you can manage any photos or media you have uploaded. You can also use a search box if you're ever stuck of have a query, and you can re-play tutorials. I do like the on-screen graphics - things like fonts, colours and general design. It's easy to navigate and looks good. The Guide button on the remote displays a comprehensive TV guide. There is no paper manual.

Home is also where you can customise your viewing experience. You can select backgrounds from a limited library or take and upload your own photos. This is also where Settings is based. In the Settings menu you can tweak the display, sound and other things to your heart's content. I think the default is OK as it is. I didn't need to change anything like brightness, contrast, saturation or anything. But if you experiment too much and want to cancel your changes, it's good to know you can reset to default settings! And start all over again... or not.

The "100hz Back-Light Blinking" is interesting. I didn't know what it was at first when I read the details on the box. I thought it may literally be a light projection from the rear of the set to complement what's on the screen - e.g. when watching football with mostly GREEN grass on the screen, I thought green light would gently surround the TV, too. I have seen this feature before. Anyway, it basically means that the picture fades out gently and then fades in again whenever you switch screens - e.g. changing a channel. So there is no quick and jerky picture change that most sets have, or used to have. Without this, sets blink, freeze or flash when the screen is changed for whatever reason.

I was really looking forward to the "mirroring" feature which basically projects whatever is on your smartphone or tablet onto the big screen. I had some trouble with this. I eventually learned, with some help and discussion, that I had to press the remote's Apps button, then scroll down to Mirroring virtual, on-screen button. On doing this the screen displays a cryptic message to the effect that now one must connect one's smart device to the television, but gave no clue as to how this could be achieved - not even a hint. I eventually discovered that I had to search for Wi-Fi Direct on my tablet until a Viera connection was available, which I accept. Then on my tablet I select Options > Display > Cast Screen and am then asked by the Panasonic if I want to accept this connection. I do this and a connection is established. The resulting projection is a little slow - it definitely lags behind my tablet by a second or so. So, not dramatically slow, but a small irritation. However, this is the best way to access the Net with this TV. The TV does have its own Web browser but it is tiresome using this with the remote control.

Also, a Panasonic app can be had on one's smartphone or tablet (free on Android, at least). It basically turns one's tablet/phone into a remote control. I'm not really sure that this is needed as why would more than one remote be required for ONE television? Only one screen can be watched at one time so only one remote is required. This is a bit like an experimental app... or just a gimmick.

And then...

The picture is good, the sound is good and the set is lighter and thinner than my "HD Ready" slightly thin Sony Bravia, which this item replaced. The UI is very intuitive and easy to get the hang of. Like I said, the buttons' functions are clearly marked. The remote takes two AA batteries (supplied). I don't think I really have anything bad to say about this. The only related disappointment was that not ALL channels are currently 1080p HD. (I know this isn't Panasonic's fault.) This is most evident when national news changes to regional news. An error message comes up saying that HD is not available in my region and the screen displays a countdown timer counting down the minutes and seconds until HD is restored. BUT why can't this 'smart' TV AUTOMATICALLY change back to regular digital when no HD is available and then switch back to HD when that resumes? Why must the user do this manually if the TV is so 'smart'? I suppose this will be resolved in the fullness of time...

As an aside, to convert the main channels to HD just add 100. So, BBC One HD is 101, BBC Two HD is 102, ITV HD is 103 and so on. Surprisingly someone had to tell me this as I would have had to research that online or stumble across HD whilst exploring the television's guide. Seems like an embarrassing oversight and presumption on Panasonic's part. Not everyone is an expert in new technology.

In summary: I like it very much. I recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good lightweight basic full HD LED TV, 2 July 2014
Cheshire Cat (Warrington, Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Used to flat screen tvs of even a few years ago, the first very pleasant shock on receiving this tv is how light this 39" tv is, circa 10kg. Light enough for me to easily carry single handed and for me to also mount it with no difficulty on a plaster board faced hollow wall! See photos.

The screen bezel is very small which contributes to a pleasing overall appearance.

Auto-tuning was quick and painless with Freeview HD giving excellent results. Connecting to a Sky HD box via one of the two HDMI sockets was easy , even with the wall mounted TV offering limited space for cables. One issue(not the fault of theTV) was that it could not automatically detect the Sky box and switch to the HDMI input. A problem I believe with the Sky box not sending the appropriate signal as opposed to the TV. It was very easy in any case to switch on the remote from 'TV' to 'AV" as the two buttons are side by side at the top of the remote. UPDATE- Sky confirmed that the issue lies with the Sky+HD box being an early model lacking the necessary hardware, a later box allowed the TV to auto detect the correct HDMI socket.

Picture quality out of the box needed some adjustment which was easily done using the compact remote control and a bit of trial and error. In common with most TVs, the picture 'as is' out of the box is quite vivid and we found that taking the 'normal' picture setting more towards the true cinema settings resulted in an excellent lifelike picture. And if you get carried away, it is easy to reset the tv back to shipping condition and start again! Certainly the combination of the news channels, Wimbledon and the World Cup confirmed that the final picture settings were more than satisfactory.

Viewing angle in common with all LED sets is not as good as a plasma set (although plasmas are getting rarer and rarer now) and we found that at more extreme angles, the colours would fade out. If in doubt, see it in action before committing.

Sound quality is everything that you can expect from an ultra slimline affordable TV but, in all honesty, we have found it perfectly satisfactory for its use in a second room. If you crave surround sound, check that the available sockets (digital, HDMI ARC) meet your requirements lest you need to upgrade to a more fully featured tv.

No smart capabilities (i.e. no internet access/apps) but many people can access these via their set top box so no great hardship there. If you want a smart tv, look further up the range. Software updates are however done via the internet (ethernet port) but none are available yet.

Only two HDMI sockets which may be limiting to some if for example you have a games console, satellite box and blu-ray player.

Power consumption is low.

Our one small irritation is that to completely switch off the tv requires pressing of the side mounted on/off button for a few seconds. Get it wrong and it restarts the tv. Not a huge issue though .

Overall, a very good very basic TV that gives excellent picture quality but none of the 'smart' web based frills that have appeared on sets in recent years. If you simply want a full HD Freeview HD set, then this is well worth considering.

For those that are interested, I mounted the tv on the plasterboard faced hollow wall using an excellent bracket from Amazon i.e. VonHaus by Designer Habitat PREMIUM LCD, LED & Plasma Slim TV Wall Tilt Bracket Black Fits All Models - Samsung LG Sony Philips Toshiba - (23 - 37"), Super-Strength Load Capacity 75Kg, 15 Degree Up/Down Tilt Mechanism, Free Spirit Level which fitted this lightweight 39" tv perfectly. Add six Rawlplg plasterboard anchor bolts and the tv is very securely fixed to the wall.

5.0 out of 5 stars First foray into Smart and flat TV, 16 May 2014
This review is from: Panasonic TX-32AS500B 32-inch HD Ready Smart LED TV with Built-In Wi-Fi and Freeview (New for 2014) (Electronics)
We have gone from an old cathode ray Sony massive beast of a Telly to this one. Quite a change indeed. First impressions are very good.

1. Setup, really easy, took all necessary software updates from the go, and put a few apps on. Plugged in the HDMI cable, ethernet lead, tv aerial, composite video (for the Wii) and all ready to go in minutes.

2. Picture - very impressed. I have held off on LED tvs as they seemed to be a bit shadowy and not as good as old fashioned tvs. not any more. the HD channels in particular, on freeview, and from my humax freesat box all look very good.

3. Sound - the TV sound itself is fine for us but not stellar, I was not expecting that to be brilliant. What is good though is being able to feed optical surround sound from the tv to the surround sound system we have, and because that is also Panasonic the volume syncs so you don't need to change remotes, nice! Movies over freeview through the surround sound kick a nice 5.1 surround sound out, maybe not as bassy as a DVD, and also the volume has to be really pushed up to be right, so remember to turn the volume down again before you switch to a DVD!

4. Apps - This was suprisingly good. We don't have superfast broadband and our previous attempts at iplayer on the humax or wii have been dire, and youtube on the laptop leaves a bit to be desired. On the Panasonic Youtube, iplayer, and now our netflix trial all work fine, no buffering. I guess the technology has moved on a bit and somehow these things stream better. HD videos of cycle stunt riders on youtube never looked so good! I do use eurosport player on the laptop from time to time, I get the crowd pass for some months of the year, May in particular for the Giro d'Italia cycle race. Unfortunately this APP on the Panasonic is dreadful. It stops and starts all the time and then goes black, and does not recover. This does not happen at the same time of day when the same thing works fine on a laptop and netflix/youtube etc all work fine on the Panasonic at the same time of day. So assuming Eurosport have not got a very reliable App there so raised a support call with them.

Any down sides? There should be more HDMI ports, 2 is not going to be enough for the future. There is bound to be another device we want to plug in soon. Also why is there no SD card part. The thing I like on other Panasonic TVs I have seen is being able to put an SD card in from your Panasonic video camera and play videos straight from there, nice an neat but sadly missing from this TV. One final minor gripe is the Home button and the up arrow are too close together, I keep pressing home when I am half way through typing in a search on youtube, ARGH!

Overall. Could not be happier with it. I could have got a 42" but its simply too big for the space we have, so 32" is just fine and has really improved our enjoyment of vision and sound in out living room. Hard to believe that these things now come so cheap compared to a few years ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, 3 Oct. 2014
Can't belive how thin this tv is and yet still have very clear sound. !!!!! Picture is lovely and also the tv is so light to pick up compared to my old Panasonic. The only reason we bought a new TV was so we could put old tv in our caravan which we have just bought in cornwall. Wish I'd gone for the 39in instead as it could have fitted in fine but still very pleased with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic Smart TV, 7 Jan. 2015
The TV is great,good picture and easy to install. It takes up less room than our other 40in slimline tv. We've had it about a month now and we're very please with it. I would give it five stars but it doesn't get all the apps,eg,ITV player.

1.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic service centre were completely useless, telling me that my hdmi cable was to ..., 27 Aug. 2014
L. Golden - See all my reviews
DO NOT BUY! I have had 2 of these sets in a row and both of them exhibit uneven backlighting, being darker in the bottom left and top left corners and brighter in the top right and bottom right with light bleeds all along the bottom. Panasonic service centre were completely useless, telling me that my hdmi cable was to blame for uneven backlighting despite this occurring with no devices plugged in. The colours are either lurid and obnoxiously saturated despite much manipulation or washed out and grey, the overall luminance of the set is less than half of my laptops don't waste your time or your money here, move along.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great TV! First model faulty and no shipping refund, 17 Sept. 2014
The TV is fantastic, although after a week it developed a fault where the green light would flash, as if a button was being pressed. I removed all remotes and batteries in the room and still nothing, this would cause the menus to spaz out and basically make it un-usable.

A first worldy-nightmare wait for two failed courier pickups, the 3rd finally arrives for their £45 fee [inc insurance incase it goes missing]. And Amazon refunds for £3.99 for postage; so i'm £41.01 out of pocket to ensure the safe arrival of this huge tv. Most couriers didn't want to touch my parcel due to the weight & size. So it's either risk the TV going missing, or pay the insurance on the cost.

So is this legal? I think being 40 quid out of pocket due to a fault is pretty messed up. Not happy Amazon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for Money, 4 Nov. 2014
An excellent Budget HD TV with vibrant colours and sound. Design is optimised for maximum screen size and is superior to TV's at a much higher price bracket. Overall an excellent choice

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Value 50" Panasonic TV, 6 Sept. 2014
Mr. Daniel Balkwill "Dan B" (Bransgore Dorset/Hants UK) - See all my reviews
Some 'techie' sites on Google...the ones that look into the depths of the blacks and the noise of the picture etc......would have you believe that this was probably not the best value TV on the market. And perhaps at the 2014 release price of £629 there would have been a fair few other TV's to compare it with. However I have just bought mine for less than £401 including delivery and I consider that to be a bargain for a Panasonic 50" LED/LCD TV. There are a few 50" TV's that are cheaper but with names like Digihome - Cello - Bush and Alba it is a bit of a lottery. The built in Freeview HD picture is stunning and considering the wafer thin chassis the sound is far better than expected. There are only two HDMI inputs but one has ARC so you can feed any audio back through whatever surround sound speaker system you have. I bought a £5.00 HDMI splitter from eBay and ran my DVD/Surround Sound system through HDMI 2 with the splitter connected to HDMI 1 running a Freesat box plus a NOW TV box and a Smart TV box all with the choice of TV sound or surround sound. There is also a SCART socket..I use mine to run audio from the TV channels to surround sound... and there are a set of RCA inputs and an Optical Toslink input/output if you have a sound bar system. It looks fantastic as the picture goes all the way up to the 10 mm rim and size wise it is only a fraction larger than my 42LG7000 that it has replaced. If you are looking for a 50" LCD/LED TV I don't think you will be disappointed.