Took delivery on 10 May and gave 5 stars initially, but after 3m of use reducing to 4 stars.

The lost star is because the flap covering SIM and micro USB socket won't stay shut, mean the waterproof feature can't be trusted.

Published 3 months ago by R. Charlton

1.0 out of 5 stars Fragile!
Rear glass screen shattered within 3 weeks of purchase whilst being carried in the front pocket of a pair of jeans. I took it out and had shards of glass all over my hands!
I have owned and carried numerous smartphones in the front pocket of trousers over the years and have never had a problem before.

This phone is too fragile for everyday use. Others have...
Published 1 month ago by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy so far with my Xperia Z2 - though flap covering SIM won't stay closed, 11 May 2014
R. Charlton (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony Xperia Z2 UK Sim Free Smartphone - Black (Wireless Phone Accessory)

I rarely open the flap as have a cradle charger, but despite this the problem has arisen. I imagine that it will not be until a future model that the apparent design fault will be fixed.

That said, other than this flaw I love the phone, but the flaw is disappointing.

In case you experience call distortion : I experienced an important problem with the phone. When I made calls, my voice was badly distorted when the other person was trying to listen. It got a lot better if I switched to speaker phone, but still not very good. At first I thought problem must be at the other end, but ltested on several calls to different phones and left voicemails that I have listened to and definitely a major problem. Other than that I found the phone is great, so got replacement from Amazon. I found the problem with my voice being distorted happened again though, with the new phone. I therefore tried a different sim, reverting back to a Vodafone sim from the giffgaff (O2 network) I had moved to. This solved the problem, so looks like some kind of compatibility issue between the giffgaff sim and the Sony z2. The giffgaff sim doesn't cause any problems in my old Galaxy S3... If you experience thisvtypebof problem, it is worth trying a new Sim before returning the phone.

Overall review:

Phone meets my expectations and a bit of a step up from my old Galaxy S3.

Screen is great, with good viewing angles. Keyboard seems easier to use, though spell correction function does not seem to spot two words accidentally typed together without a space.

Seems very responsive and also quick to get to grips with.

Physical quality of the phone is way better than my old S3 (except for flap issue mentioned above). I was a bit nervous of how ergonomic it would be, but I needn't have been. The tweaks done to shape and dimensions from the Z1 have done the trick, and in comparison it is much better to hold.

Put front screen protector on from 3rd party, as only one came in box and I wasn't lucky enough to get application right first time.

I also get a protector for the back to help protect the glass. Pleased I did!

The sound from the front facing speakers is pretty reasonable but not quite as good as I had hoped. Maybe I was expecting too much, but will be fine for audio to videos.

On the charging front, I bought a cheap third party magnetic charging dock for under 9 and it works great. Would recommend one so no need to open the waterproof flap to charge every day - especially given the flaps are the only weak point I have found.

The battery life seems good. For example, took phone off charge 18 hrs ago, had bluetooth and wifi on all day, made a couple short calls, being using email and about an hour on the Internet, followed by watching 2hr film stored on my micro sd and there's still 25% of battery left. Pretty good and better than previous phones...]

Overall, it seems to be a great phone, and pleased I waited for it. I popped my old 64gb Micro sd card in, but pondering over whether to buy and try the new 128gb SanDisk card... Will see.

Couple of extra points: I saw a review just after mine that said you can't write to a micro sd card. In setup there is an option to transfer data from internal memory to a micro sd card you have inserted. Also, you can switch to saving all photos and video footage taken to the micro sd. When it comes to music and films, I usually copy to a micro sd card inserted to my laptop via adapter, so unlikely to check if possible to copy across by USB lead. Consequently, I don't really understand the problem raised by the person leaving one star earlier today. One warning though - when I tried the function to transfer files from the phone to micro SD , the function managed to corrupt many existing photos on the micro SD, so I suggest this function is avoided.

So far really like the function where you can choose to blur backgrounds and keep the main subject in focus. It works surprisingly well. Photos in bright light are great, though dimly lit photos aren't as good as expected. Videos are very good, including 4k ones, though when recording 4k the phone heats up a little, but not a problem.

P.S. As I bought this phone because it was unlocked and simple free I have now found which sim only deal I prefer. I went for a giffgaff monthly deal that as at May 2014 cost 12pm for unlimited data, 250mins, and unlimited texts. It works on O2's 3G network and so far I am very pleased with it. Just mentioning in case, like me, you're looking for a decent Sim only deal. Update: see the call problem I have had with the giffgaff sim... Looks like I will have to give up with it and try a different provider. I ended up getting a Sim only 4g deal with unlimited calls and texts and 5gb of data and Spotify premium for 15pm. Going well...

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome phone, 24 May 2014
To be honest when you get this phone, you possibly already know what you getting as it is not cheap. You thought it wouldn't surprised by it but I am definitely impressed by the phone. I brought this phone for the camera quality as I want to do some camera photography. Of course many would say Lumina 1020 is still the top phone for camera photography as it has 40 megapixel and some function such as cutting out moving object that xperia Z2 does not have. However one must always remind that Lumina 1020 is a window phone and it is so limited in comparison to android phone.

The camera feature Z2 have is impressive, from the slow motion video to AR effect. I was particularly impressed by the frame rate of the phone. It is so impressive when it compared to phone such as Nexus 5, it makes Nexus 5 frame rate quality feels sloppy (but one must remember Nexus 5 is a midrange camera phone). The amount of detail it captures is very detail, however in depth perception Nexus 5 is better as the HDR allows higher exposurer. I had fun using Z2 to capture photo as the lag time take one to two seconds. However some times I do have problem on focusing onto an object which is a minor annoyance. There are many choices of mode and within each mode there are a lot of flexibility when capturing an imagine.

Physically, the size is big and it is thicker than my previous samsung S3 phone. However the phone is not as noticeable as I expected when I put it in my jeans. But I would recommended you to take out your phone when sitting down as sometimes you do feel it gets in the way.

For those who like a bit of music the noise cancellation actually works relative well on the phone. This has been compared to Bose noise cancellation head set and the difference is not that great. But one must be reminded that the noise cancellation only works with the original headset. If you were just using it for pure noise cancellation and not for music (this is for revision studies), the headset only work when the phone is on and not on lock screen. The sounds quality is actually very good for the headset that comes with the phone (of course one could not compared the "free" headset to the quality to bose headset), I am perfectly happy to use the given headset only if it weren't one of those headset where you have to wrap it round your neck. The headset is quite difficult to tie it together because the wire-round-the-neck feature and the chucky ear pieces.

The phone markets it water proof quality, I admit it works and it is quirky. But this does not work in salt water, hence no sea photography. Even in fresh water it only last around 30 mins and it is mentioned in the box. I haven't tried this out of course, but I must remind buyer not to fall for the quirky trap. It sounds fun but when are you actually going to use it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop looking. This phone does everything., 7 Aug 2014
Don't normally write reviews. However, just want others to know - I was considering iPhone 5S, HTC One M8 and Samsung Galaxy S5. So glad I chose this phone. It is AMAZING. Best phone I've ever had.

- Amazing camera - huge detail in photos and look amazing on the screen.
- Battery life is phenomenal - I get two full days easily using the brilliant Stamina mode. This is unheard of with Apple Phones.
- Great storage - this phone can take 128GB Micro SD cards.
- Great Sony Apps - Walkman and Photo Album are my personal favourites.
- Screen is huge and full of colour.
- Good sound from speakers.

If you are in doubt, don't be. You won't be disappointed with this powerhouse.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Android phone I've owned, 20 Jun 2014
For many years I have been a big fan of Sony products and had the original Sony Xperia Z. I bought the Sony Xperia Z2 mainly for the extended battery life it provides which is now 2 days and no charger!

The screen is fantastic and displays very vivid and vibrant colours, along with the larger 5.2" display. When running applications they open much faster and smooth. The phone is well built and nice to hold in the hand and feels solid. Sound output has also been improved along with the extra waterproofing the phone works really well in the shower.

I have over the years had many Android phones and I would highly recommend this phone to anyone who wants a phone for business and pleasure and isn't constantly worried by the remaining battery life.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED WELL DONE SONY

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb phone, without compromises, 14 May 2014
Luke K (London, UK) - See all my reviews
SUMMARY

I have my Z2 for a month now, I got it from Three on a contract.

What I love about it:
* screen - crisp, vivid, reproducing colours properly, BIG
* speed - it is FAST, applications fly, scrolling is very smooth, games fly.
* camera - fast, sharp photos, properly saturated colours, good light metering
* video recording - very effective software image stabilisation, sharp
* battery - a monster, lasts for 2 days, gives freedom
* design - premium and classy look and feel, nice in touch
* UI - minimalistic, close to vanilla Android

What could be better:
* optical image stabilisation would be nice
* max audio output volume could be bit higher

IN DETAILS

* Camera

Good:
I own Canon 40D DSLR with excellent 17-55 2.8 lens and I'm a bit into
photography. Over years I've made a lot of photos with my 40D. I can tell
you the camera in Xperia Z2 is excellent, it's probably the best one in
a smartphone at the moment. It makes very well color and exposure
balanced photos.

White balance is especially good, I sometimes think it is better than my
few years old Canon 40D in that aspect. Whites are white grays are gray
and human skin looks very natural, you can count on it. Saturation is also very nice balanced,
it produces natural looking photos like DSLR cameras tend to do. Some point
and shoot cameras make oversaturated photos, which I personally dislike, but not Z2.

Noise is kept at low levels and details are very well reproduced. Autofocus is fast and
reliable. I expected this camera to be good, but it really blown my mind, it's fantastic.
You can sell all your point and shoot'ers right now.

Could be better:
- It doesn't have optical image stabilisation, which is always welcomed.
- The lens gets soft at corners.

* Video recording
Video recording is great thanks to effective software image stabilisation.
Autofocus works well in video mode too, videos are sharp and detailed.
Timeshift works great, you can record in 120fps in 720p and after recording is done
you can easily select which parts of the video should be slow motioned.

* Screen
Sony used IPS screen in Z2 which is noticeable from the first look. Colours are
beautiful, vivid and precise and viewing angles are excellent. I like how the screen
is calibrated to reproduce natural colours, instead of oversaturating. Brightness
is at very good levels too, I compared it with my friend's iphone 5S next to each
other outdoors and they both looked very similar in terms of reflections and brightness.

I turned off X-Reality setting which enhances contrast of photos and videos, as I prefer
photos to look like they should, without artificial saturation/contrast boost. They
already look beautiful without X-Reality thanks to outstanding IPS screen.

* Battery
The 3200mah battery is a beast, it lasts easily for one and a half to two days. Without
using the phone too much it seems it can keep going for a few days. The STAMINA
mode got a new option, which is turned on by default, to queue and send background data
at set intervals.

* Body

Good:
It has premium and very classy feeling. Well, this is subjective but
there is something really cool about phone being so thin and flat.
It is stiff and well-built. The back panel is made from glass, but don't worry that it
will get scratched easily as there is a minimal, barely noticeable bezel around so when you
put a phone on a flat surface it rests on the bezel not the glass panel.

I moved from phone with 4.3" screen and I found typing on the 5.2" screen much faster
and precise, using two hands, I can now type with less errors and faster in general. Sony
keyboard is also ergonomic and well designed.

Could be better:
The first Xperia Z had 5" screen and nice, small bezels. With Z2 Sony went for 5.2", I would prefer it to stay at 5".

* Noice cancelling
I tried noise cancelling on my way work in London tube and on train. It works pretty good,
it removed all continuos, low frequency noise, with higher frequency noise still left, but
this is how most of NC will work. The headphones included with the phone, are all right but they
can't compete with my B&W P5, so I won't probably use noise cancelling too much as P5 are
my main mobile headphones and NC in Xperia Z2 currently works only with included headphones.

* User interface
Sony ships its phones with its own Android skin, I find Sony skin very close to vanilla Android.
If you compare it to HTC or Samsung skins, Sony is much less modified and closer to Google
vision of the Android UI.

The UI is designed with taste and doesn't feel bloated or inconsistent. It is minimalistic and doesn't
try to get in your way. It also feels very fast.

There are some useful additions compared to stock Android:
- left menu in app launcher with: search app by name, most used apps, alphabetical order, etc.
- STAMINA mode - of course, this is known already and it works great

The dialer and contacts apps are excellent, minimalistic, simple, good looking and fast.

In the end comparing Sony latest UI to Samsung TouchWiz, I would say it is day and night.

* High-res USB Audio
Most reviews you will find won't mention that Z2 has native support for high resolution, digital
audio output via micro USB port. For music lovers and audiophiles this is a nice add-on. Thanks
to that you can connect high fidelity USB DAC to the Z2 and experience the best music quality
possible. There are DACs available that are very mobile and of very high quality like Meridian
Explorer or Audioquest DragonFly.

Regarding other reviews here:
- There is one saying you can't write to SD card with this phone. It is not true, the thing
is that with Android 4.4 KitKat Google changed the way applications can access data on the
SD card. Before, simply any appliation could read and write to any other's application
data which was insecure. That has been made more secure and now application can only write data
to its own folders. This is also the case for Samsung and HTC, it's just how Android now works
and it is good thing.

Hints:
* I use DashClock Widget for lockscreen, looks great with Xperia lockscreen and provides useful info like number of new emails, weather, currency rates, etc.
* First I did was to swap default email and browser applications for Gmail and Google Chrome

5.0 out of 5 stars Best phone I've owned to date, 13 May 2014
T. Smith "GodDamnPie" (UK) - See all my reviews
I've had my Z2 for about 6 days now. I upgraded from the iPhone 5, and an upgrade it was indeed.

The screen is just about the right size: not overly big (such as devices like the Note 3) and not too small either, which is a fate I think hindered my experience with iPhones. The viewing angles on the screen are brilliant and the colours are vibrant and crisp. So far it's been responsive and easy to navigate.

The speakers are just as outstanding. They could be a tiny bit louder, but that's not really something I have any quibbles with. I've heard that this may be due to the phone being waterproof though, so I guess I can't really complain too much. The quality of the headphones they're supplied with are far better than anything I ever experienced with an iPhone.

Physically, the phone is definitely premium looking: far more than anything currently on the market. I haven't (and don't plan to) dropped the phone yet, but I do have some worries that it may smash quite easily due to being made of glass.

Software wise I'm relatively inexperienced with Android (I had an HTC Sensation back in 2011, so it's been a while), but I feel like it is a step up from iOS. That's just my personal preference though, but I much prefer being able to personalise my device. One thing that does bug me is that the keyboard doesn't pick up on some basic mistakes and mistyped words. I've downloaded a 3rd party keyboard though so it's no longer problem, but just a point to raise for the fast and reckless typers like myself.

I've played around with a few of the camera settings and so far I'm impressed with the quality of the images. There are a lot of inbuilt functions to play around with, and Sony has provided a great photo-editing program as well. It's a bit disappointing that standard pictures aren't taken in the 20.7MP resolution, but if I'm honest the 8MP camera setting takes just as good a photo.

The battery lasts longer than my iPhone ever did. I've got over a days worth with some Facebook use, heavy messaging/WhatsApp and listening to music on Spotify.

The storage could be bigger at only 16GB, but I'm not that much of a data heavy user. I've put in a spare 16GB SD card that I had lying around spare and with a few movies, 500+ pictures and music on it I still have well over 10GB left. I can always choose to go for a bigger SD card if need be though.

So far I'm loving the experience, I'll be sure to update if anything changes.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing battery life for a high end smart phone, 10 July 2014
i didnt get my phone from here but i have to say upgrading from my galaxy s3 is a huge step up in battery life. from 6am till 11:am the next day my battery still has 42% and i would say im a heavy user when it comes to using devices. eg facebook twitter, music, youtube browsing and a bit of gta vice city. although it wasnt the actual reason i got this phone though, i think that after owning the s3 for 2 years and my partner owning an s4 i think i got bored of the samsung devices to be honest. i would say it was mostly design that sold it for me and the added camera quality and features are a bonus and not to mention im an android fan over ios any day.

note: galaxy s3 would require a charge long before the day was even up.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT Phone!, 27 May 2014
Mr. M. A. Turner "TUNNER!" (Alton in Hampshire - England) - See all my reviews
I have been in possession of this phone for 5 days now having recently upgraded from a Samsung S3. I looked at the new S5, but felt more like a toy than a leading edge expensive phone. I also considered the HTC One M8, but was really quite shocked at the poor quality of the one that I was shown, the metallic edges around the screen looked like they could catch and bend, or slice my finger. Having had an HTC phone in the past, it was never going to be my first choice.

I was then given an Xperia Z2 to play with. What a contrast, superb build quality and an excellent screen, so I ordered one immediately!

First impressions….WOW! My S3 would need charging daily, so far the Z2 has lasted 48 hours and still has 60% power remaining. I know I am not a heavy user of video via my phones, but this is from a new battery, so I expect its life only to increase over the next few weeks. The Sony interface is really good and not too intrusive.

I love the magnetic cradle for charging and if you purchase the Stilgut leather case, the phone with this fitted still permits mag charging!

I have found nothing so far that I dislike and in my opinion, is the best phone out there currently.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb with first class delivery!, 14 May 2014
S. Kavanagh "Kavster" (Preston, Lancashire) - See all my reviews
I purchased this on Amazon due to it being the cheapest and the fact that AMAZON offered a 50 voucher for pre-orders.

The item was sent to be delivered on the 13th May but I got it two days prior and was DELIVERED ON A SUNDAY - a very nice surprise and left me happy to have gone through AMAZON for this phone.

The phone itself is by far the best android phone on the market. Build quality is superb and the screen is stunning.

The battery is excellent too - I get almost two days of moderate use before having to recharge!

5.0 out of 5 stars ., 12 Aug 2014
The is awesome better than any phone I had before (BTW my last phone was Samsung galaxy 4 and I also used iPhone 5 for a while ). The phone is amazingly quick and easy to work, the camera is stunning. Sony xperia z2 really impressed me and I recommend to everyone. The only problem is that you can't move apps to sd card but so does the other new androids.