5.0 out of 5 stars Another gem from Lyle Lovett
Published on 28 Sep 2007 by bluegeecee

3.0 out of 5 stars It's not large, it's average
Published on 29 Sep 2007 by Androo

5.0 out of 5 stars Another gem from Lyle Lovett, 28 Sep 2007
I pre-ordered this from his label's site and have been playing it for weeks now. I'm a long-time fan and I think It's Not Big is as good an album as he has made. If you're a fan too, buy this. If you don't yet know Lyle Lovett, this is as good a place to start as any, although there really isn't a bad album in his catalogue. The main reason I decide to write my first ever review however, is to say - make sure you buy the deluxe edition with the dvd. The dvd is quite outstanding and gives a superb view of the behind the scenes making of this album, as well as some great Lovett family home movie footage. Well worth the extra!

3.0 out of 5 stars It's not large, it's average, 29 Sep 2007
Androo (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: It's Not Big It's Large (Audio CD)
Lyle's last album (of his own songs) was so similar to the previous one I could barely tell them apart so I only listened to it a couple of times. Seemed a bit of a waste of money. Then Lyle cancelled his UK tour and I wasted more money on the hotel I'd booked... The reason cited for the cancellation was that it clashed with his recording schedule. If that's true then presumably this is what he was recording when he should've been entertaining me in person. So it had better be good!
It starts well enough with the big band sound of Tickle Toe. Takes you back to the other Large Band album. But it's weird: you never hear that sound again, so why on earth is it there? It doesn't fit.
The rest of the album is standard Lovett, with bits from several albums of the past decade or so. It's almost like a bunch of songs that never made it onto those other albums because they weren't quite good enough.
Not that (in isolation) this is a bad collection of songs. It isn't. He does a decent job of the somewhat repetitive part-traditional 'I Will Rise Up/Ain't No More Cane', helped by his usual rather good backing singers. Unfortunately we get this song again later on.
There are a bunch of croaked quiet songs like `Don't Cry a Tear' that sound awfully similar to many other LL songs but not as good. There's a weird song about slapping babies that surely belongs on the I Love Everybody album. Brazos abound as usual (what on earth are they?), there's the usual track that begins with something about it being Saturday and coffee being on (not again!) and they're all nicely done and well, pretty much as you'd expect.
The trouble is that nothing stands out except the baby-slapping song. There's no 'If I Had a Boat', no 'Pontiac', no 'M-O-N-E-Y'. Has Lyle run out of tunes? I think he has.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 1 Feb 2009
J. Hextall "Mr John" (Devon UK) - See all my reviews
This album is absolutely wonderful. I was drawn in by the single 'South Texas Girl' which I couldn't get out of my head after hearing it on the radio - had to have the CD for just that song - and then found another half dozen brilliant, moving, contemporary songs with superb arrangements and backing vocals. 'Don't cry a tear', 'This travelling around' and 'I will rise up' are all beautiful masterpieces of modern American folk. The only track I am not sure about is the opening Lester Young tune, 'Tickle Toe', which is of course brilliant but I haven't worked out how it fits into the rest of the album yet. The attached DVD is a great insight into how the music was put together with some different live versions of the tunes. Get it while you can!

4.0 out of 5 stars It's not essential, it's enjoyable, 12 Mar 2008
M. G. Wilson (Eastbourne) - See all my reviews
This review is from: It's Not Big It's Large (Audio CD)
The album opens with Lester Young's 'Tickle Toe' giving the lie to the claim that it's large rather than big: this is big band music, though with steel guitar, twin lead guitars and fiddles, this is a big band for the 21st century. Perhaps intended to emphasise that this is a band record rather than a solo act, the track, while pleasant enough, is not typical of the rest of the album, rather undermining that message. 'I will rise up / Ain't no more cane' follows, and sets out the band's stall in more typical fashion - Lovett's distinctive voice, country slide guitar, West Coast rock lead guitars and drums, big band brass and gospel soul back up singers. 'All downhill' deploys Lovett's laconic humour "Joe Ely and I sit next to that John Hiatt, We park next to Guy Clark" "I've been up so long on this lucky star, It could be all downhill from here". And the rest of the album plays out in typical Lovett style: musically and lyrically engaging throughout. What's lacking here, and again this is typical of Lovett's work, are those songs that stand out, with that something extra to make them truly memorable (do I mean singles?) that would make this a five star essential album rather than four star enjoyable.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's not large, it's average., 29 Sep 2007
Androo (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

5.0 out of 5 stars It's not average, it's damn fine!, 4 Feb 2008
This review is from: It's Not Big It's Large (Audio CD)
I think the previous reviewer is still smarting from losing out on his hotel bill after Lyle's cancelled UK gig. That's the only reason I can imagine for such a sour review, or maybe we were listening to different CDs? Lovett does what he does best here, which is a rich weave of country, gospel, mournful, quirky and even big (sorry, large) band sounds. The baby-slapping has nothing to do with babies: it's a sly, sexy song concerning, let's say, conflict flirting with a lover. You want a classic? 'Ain't No Cane' is a haunting heartbreaker. If you 'get' Lyle Lovett, you'll enjoy this. It may be more of the same but if that same is this good, then what's not to like?

It's Not Big It's Large