5.0 out of 5 stars made me think!, 28 Feb 2014
This review is from: That Elusive Cure (Kindle Edition)
What a beautiful dedication and thoughts shared at the beginning of the book.

The first chapter damn near broke my heart. How LCH has managed to write so eloquently, yet factually about such an emotional subject with clear personal touches really pricked at my eyes.

Her main character is Kath, and Kath has terminal bowel cancer. The premise of the story is she is offered that elusive cure via a pod from the future, or does she?

Some really great explanations of the torment that is simply waiting for a call back, a simple text message of hope.

The way that LCH describes the horrific side effects of the chemo and how it wrecks your body; I was almost signing up for the The Moon Walk.

The descriptive writing style of LCH goes into overdrive as she puts you at the door to a church, then inside and finally next to the “pod” of dreams. I found the odd bit of dark humour in this book and this was one of those times as Kathy starts to think that Janie, her potential savior, is a mercy serial killer!

As if poor Kathy doesn’t have enough in her own life to deal with she desperately tries to help her childhood friend, who has debilitating depression. Surely that should be the other way around? Another reason this book feels so real life and not just a story, nothing is perfect.

This element of the book really made me think about disease and all its forms. Just because we can’t see the disease does it make it not real? I was very torn as to which friend was suffering more.

An “interesting” observation regarding cancer diagnosis and its treatment that I had never thought of was the impact getting well has on your family and friends. What others try to shield from you as you are the “sick” one.

Kath constantly struggles with not being able to fix, cure or care enough about those around her to the point where I was getting annoyed at Kath expecting the pod to fix all the problems not only in her life but in the world, some things should not be fixed.

But is cancer the cause of that selfishness or is it just life?, do we need permission to love our selves first in life?

As things start to build to a crescendo after an interfering husband puts a spanner in the works, all hope seems at a loss, the tension continues to mount as it’s a race to the finish line, but which finish line?

There are some deaths along the way, some threats and lots of high emotion. I was caught on the edge of my seat for most of this book.

The ending was a bit quick for me, I could see where the author wanted to go, just think it could have gone a few more chapters into explaining things. But sometimes your own imagination is better, and in this case, only a maybe from me?

Not sure what genre this book comes under, its harrowing, informative, a touch of sci-fi and a touch of horror.

BUT it is a book NOT be missed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Powerful and Thought Provoking Read, 27 Feb 2014
This review is from: That Elusive Cure (Kindle Edition)
I was lucky enough to be given an arc of this book in return for an honest review.

I'll be honest, this is not my usual type of book but the premise sounded intriguing so I thought I'd give it a go - more usually I'm a fan of horror and romance and this has some sci-fi elements to it. From the first page, however,I was hooked, Kathy has cancer and she is undergoing the usual (painful) treatments until she meets Janie who offers her the means of a 'miracle' cure. Although Kathy is sceptical she is also desperate - the key she takes from Janie is the key to a healing pod kept within the confines of an abandoned church. Only one person is to use it a time and when their sessions in the pod have come to an end and they are cured, they must select another person to hand the key over to. Janie is 'cured' and Kathy certainly feels better after the first session - but she has several more to go and the task is to keep the pod safe and undiscovered until then - not an easy task when you're married to the uber curious Jimmy! The story keeps you hooked from start to finish and, because it's told in the first person, you really identify with Kathy, her hopes, her fears and the damn unfairness of it all. She clutches on to the idea of a miracle cure because she has nothing to lose but - the question is - does the pod really have the power to heal or does it just offer a placebo effect? Also, is the pod even a human invention? Far fetched? Not the way Hinsley writes it - its all very down to earth and believable. The ending I won't spoil for you but lets just say that for me it was perfect but not only that, it was powerful.

5.0 out of 5 stars A thoroughly gripping story, 13 Mar 2014
Ignite (East Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: That Elusive Cure (Kindle Edition)
I was drawn in by the product description of this book – a notably difficult thing to write! – and by the fact that I’ve read and enjoyed previous work by the author. Kathy is being treated for cancer which has progressed to a horrifying degree. While waiting in the hospital for treatment she is approached by another young woman who tells her how she was cured. There is a mysterious futuristic machine in an old church nearby and Kathy is given the key and told how to use it. We are taken through not only her own hopes and fears but those of her family, best friend, husband and others. Each has something which she feels this machine could cure. There’s a spanner in the works though, in the form of her husband Jimmy.

This is an amazing book which, although it’s not particularly short, I consumed in one sitting. Lisa Hinsley’s direct writing draws the reader straight in. It is evident from the intensity of feeling expressed that this has been written from direct experience and from the heart. There’s no maudlin sentimentality here but there’s lots of determination and lots of hope. All Lisa’s readers will surely share it. A thoroughly gripping story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, Honest, Awesome!, 13 Mar 2014
This review is from: That Elusive Cure (Kindle Edition)
Through her gifted touch with words, Lisa Hinsley shares her soul with her readers.
This story of Kathy, a woman battling cancer, will grip you and take you for the ride of your life. This isn’t fiction but rather a pod of hope that keeps the reader completely engrossed.

I found myself at Kathy’s side every step of the way from the moment she meets Janie, a woman who pays it forward by sharing the mysterious cancer-curing pod with our heroine who has been down the road of optimism one too many times and is just about to give up… when like life itself, things turn around with a possible surprising solution.

Kathy’s husband Jimmy is a wonderful, caring man… one wishes he could be cloned. Kathy repeatedly puts her health aside to support her manic depressive best friend, Sally. I found my heart and soul bound with Kathy, who is all too human in her caring, in her fears, and in her love of life.

The pod is an intriguing concept. It’s here, somewhere. We will find it and soon.

This is the most touching, inspiring, and downright awesome story I have ever read.

Very highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping story of bravery, hope and human connection - highly recommended, 27 Feb 2014
This review is from: That Elusive Cure (Kindle Edition)
When I was offered a review copy of this novel I was very excited. I read Lisa Hinsley's terrifying novel 'Plague' a few months ago and it had me hooked from the moment I read the opening page. 'That Elusive Cure' would prove to be another gripping, page-turning, read-in-a-single-sitting masterpiece.

This book follows Kathy, a woman fighting cancer, and from the very beginning you are sucked into the plot through the harrowing description of her situation. You feel for her, and when a mysterious woman appears with the promise of a 'cure' for Kathy's illness you can't help but share in that feeling of hope. Just what if the cure works? The origin of the 'pod' is unknown. A device sent from the future? An experiment gone awry from medical research? An elaborate hoax? You are plunged into a world of questions, and there, amongst it all, is that glimmer of excitement, of optimism, of a blue sky ahead.

I found this story moving and powerful. It felt like Kathy's quest reached the heart of me, and gripped my soul. At some parts of the story I could have screamed in frustration on her behalf (no spoilers, I'm sure you will feel it yourself!)

The strong bond she shares with her husband, Jimmy, and other members of her family adds a great deal to the relationship you develop with Kathy through her journey. There are other struggles entwined with hers, and they had me hooked too. It's a moving tale, that's for sure, and one that will stay with you long after you reach the end.

I absolutely loved this book. I couldn't put it down. Not only that, but once I opened the file on my Kindle I didn't even move position. I sat at my desk with the Kindle in my hand from beginning to end - it was THAT good.

Very highly recommended. Read this book, you won't be disappointed. You may be sleep-deprived after sitting up half the night to finish it, but you will be glad you did!

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotional and Thought Provoking., 28 Feb 2014
This review is from: That Elusive Cure (Kindle Edition)
I was given an arc of this book in return for an honest review.

This book has left me wishing and hoping for a miracle. As soon as I started to read it I was hooked and drawn into Kathy's life as she battles with bowel cancer. She's at the stage in treatment where she's willing and desperate enough to give anything a try. She meets Janie at the hospital, who by all accounts is cured, but not by the usual chemotherapy treatments. She offers Kathy a key to an old disused church where a healing pod is kept. Although not sure, Kathy tries the pod and starts to feel improvement almost immediately. The pod diagnosed her condition accurately, told her how many sessions she will need and finally she feels there's light at the end of a very long and dark tunnel. The pod can only be used by one person at a time and Janie tells Kathy she has chosen her and when her turn to pass on the key, comes, she will choose the next benefactor. All seems well, until Jimmy, Kathy's tinkering husband, gets in on the act and from then on chaos ensues as he wants to know the ins and outs of the pod's existence. Although this story will tug at your heart it's also told with humour and there are other threads running throughout. The characters are totally believable as is the story line, making the reader think - if only... I highly recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly believable, 23 Mar 2014
This review is from: That Elusive Cure (Kindle Edition)
What I loved about this was the detail. Meticulously-researched with lots of medical detail about Kathy's cancer, which makes the futuristic aspects all the more believable. Twists which I didn't see coming and an ending which wasn't what I was expecting, but this was a gripping story about a woman's fight to survive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, thought-provoking, bittersweet., 29 Mar 2014
Cathy Hudson (Waterlooville, Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: That Elusive Cure (Kindle Edition)
What an absolutely amazingly imaginative premise to base a story on!

I have previously read Plague by the same writer and snapped this up when it was on a free promotion. I actually feel guilty for not paying anything for it as it is such a brilliant book by a writer I know and enjoy.

A beautiful story with well developed characters, who we come to love or...tolerate? Each to his own. I found myself becoming more and more involved with each person as the story unravelled. I stayed up late into the night to be able to finish this book. I was not only disappointed to have finished the book, but having been so wrapped up in Lisa's imagination, I hit the Earth with a huge bump when I realised that machine doesn't really exist. Someday, I hope.

5.0 out of 5 stars thought~provoking novel, 13 April 2014
This review is from: That Elusive Cure (Kindle Edition)
This is the first novel I have read from Lisa Hinsley and I thoroughly enjoyed it. If only there was such a machine. It took us through the hopes and the dashed hopes of Kathy. I will certainly be reading more from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars A cure of many layers, 26 May 2014
This review is from: That Elusive Cure (Kindle Edition)
Kathy has cancer and is struggling to come to terms with that. Then one day she's given the key to a cure: literally! Kathy finds a machine in a church where cancer patients are cured, then pass the secret onto the next person they feel deserves it. Great concept and it kept me wondering where this machine came from. Having the machine hidden in a church was a great idea as the cure seems to go hand in hand with faith and raises many questions.

As the title suggests, the cure isn't that straightforward and always seems elusive. Lisa's writing is sharp, her story structured in a way you want to keep turning the pages.

That Elusive Cure