4.0 out of 5 stars Well balanced & again quality
"English Oceans" is a grower. After the first time of listening it looks like only a few tracks are worth mentioning. But after a few turns, a night sleep and a new turn suddenly you realize: It's well structured, well balanced and, yes indeed, yet again a good quality DbT record. Big praise for the rhythm section, they pushes you head-nodding through the songs,...
Published 14 months ago by Koos

3.0 out of 5 stars Same old formula
I really like DBT, have all their albums and saw them live. You get good DBT albums and you get mediocre DBT albums and I'm afraid this is the latter. Sticking to their tried and tested formula, a lot of the songs seem familiar - you think you've heard it before but it's new.

Not much of an in-depth review, just my opinion, hope it helps.
Published 14 months ago by J. Stewart

5.0 out of 5 stars Great new DBT album...., 11 Mar. 2014
N. Royle (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: English Oceans (Audio CD)
Highly recommended. A fantastic collection of songs and great to hear Mike Cooley's 50% contribution on a DBT album for once.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rocking again!, 6 Mar. 2014
Yves Vandezande (Belgium) - See all my reviews
This review is from: English Oceans (Audio CD)
Out of every review here I could pick a few lines and thus write my own. Meaning I agree with some of the things that have been said.
After Isbell's departure I still miss two or three of his songs on subsequent DBT albums. Letting Shonna do some writing and singing was a mistake.
What Cooley and Hood prove on English Oceans is that they CAN write and play a solid album with songs by just the two of them.
Especially Mike Cooley is back on brilliant form.
Opener S*** Shots Count has a interesting horn section tucked in near the end. Now that's something they should do more because it suits their sound.
Grand Canyon is a heartfelt elegy to a gone comrade and Made up English Oceans has you galopping across the prairie.
We're back to rock with just a leeeetle bit country.
I don't think there's a bad song on the album. The form is back!

3.0 out of 5 stars Southern Change, 6 Mar. 2014
This review is from: English Oceans (Audio CD)
I believe DBT have found a new audience with English Oceans and I am pleased for them. For fans like me who first heard the first birth of DBT through the previous band Adam’s House Cat and the brilliant song ‘Runaway Train’ there has been much change. The first two albums Gangstabilly & Pizza Deliverance are superb in terms of great songs and stories. Their sound became a little more country rock after these albums with the brilliant Southern Rock Opera which I suppose defined DBT’s sound and image as a band from Deep South Alabama and their so called Southern Thing! Jason Isbell then arrived which brought a much needed more melodic sound and the brilliant Decoration Day, The Dirty South and A Blessing and A Curse. (Best albums to date).

Then in my opinion (and it is only my opinion) since Jason Isbell left their albums have about 3 to 4 great songs on them and the rest are diluted versions of what went before. For me English Oceans falls into this category – the only songs I have enjoyed on this album which are classic DBT songs are - When He's Gone, Primer Coat and Pauline Hawkins, the rest are just rock jams (and they seem to have found a new audience as I say with this, maybe no one else is doing this at the moment – but to me it is uninspiring, done before and non-melodic rock).

Brighter Than Creations Dark is a poor album apart from a couple of songs and Shonna Tucker cannot sing, she has a weak voice and it is out of tune!

Go Go Boots is poor apart from one classic song – Patterson Hood’s – Used to be a cop.
The Big To-Do – Birthday boy – that is it.

I believe Patterson Hood’s last solo album had more of the early DBT’s sound and that to me was what DBT were all about – Heat Lightning Rumbles in the Distance. Jason Isbell’s solo albums especially the last Southeastern are to me are far better quality than DBT’s output for the last number of albums.

Overall we are all entitled to our opinions and inevitably some people may have only discovered DBT and think they are the best thing since ‘cornbread’ and I am not going to stand in their way, but for me I don’t get excited about them anymore. I have seen them live a number of times and to be fair it is a great experience they give a 100%, but if you don’t like their recent output it can end up becoming an endurance to watch them live rather than an uplifting experience, hence I won’t be going to see them live this year in the UK – but for new audiences and fans who still love them enjoy, at least as a band and as people they are the real deal!

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great LP from the leaders of the rockier end of ..., 16 Oct. 2014
This review is from: English Oceans (Audio CD)
Another great LP from the leaders of the rockier end of Americana. Every LP is like a soundtrack to a film that you've never seen but somehow know very well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Whew!, 5 Mar. 2014
therealus "therealus" (Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: English Oceans (Audio CD)
After three years and several personnel changes, I was wondering if DBT would still be the band I got to know through A Blessing And A Curse. Fortunately the band’s bedrock, Hood and Cooley, with help from stalwart drummer Brad Morgan, ensure that, whilst this isn’t a rerun of Blessing, or anything else they’ve done before for that matter, it’s recognisably DBT, with the reassuring explosion of Morgan’s crash cymbal liberally scattered throughout. The dabbling with soul, characteristic of the Shonna Tucker period, seems to be over.

The record begins with a roar, the opening track given added punch by a brass arrangement courtesy of Jay Rodriguez. Likewise When He’s Gone, which follows, is a rocker, but slightly less intense. And so, as the tone quietens and the record progresses, the rock influence fades to country until, by the time we get to The Part Of Him, we can hear the banjo, though the country pedal steel cliché is missing due to the departure of John Neff. Finally, at Grand Canyon, we have a tender waltz in tribute to a natural wonder of the North American continent reminiscent of Monument Valley from Brighter Than Creation’s Dark.

The music is tastefully decorated with the smart story-telling and wordplay lyrics of Hood and Cooley, who divide the honours between them to become the Strummer/Jones of our times. Although a little croaky at times, Cooley’s vocals are far better than on his frankly rather sub-par live solo set A Fool On Every Corner (which I nevertheless wouldn’t be without), and in general it’s good to see DBT have survived a gruelling tour schedule, and the subsequent (probably not unrelated) personnel changes, with their creative heart beating and healthy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding again, 7 Mar. 2014
Crispin Muir - See all my reviews
This review is from: English Oceans (Audio CD)
Better balance of song writing and singing and am really enjoying it. if you like the DBT you will not be disappointed

5.0 out of 5 stars first impression, 6 Mar. 2014
This review is from: English Oceans [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
on first listen basis only: another fine collection of songs,backed with outstanding musicianship..these masters of modern narrative songstories have done it again..would highly reccomend ...will be playing it to death for a while i suspect...until i go and see them in may in concert,in fact..:)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 18 April 2015
A real return to form

5.0 out of 5 stars TRUCKERS BACK ON TRACK, 19 Mar. 2014
This review is from: English Oceans (Audio CD)
My first thoughts were yet another mediocre album from DBT, BUT after a few listens I'm having difficulty taking it off of repeat play in my car. The first 3 tracks are 'rocking', but then the band slip a little into a sad 'Johnny Cash' style. Then it picks-up again and this makes this along with The Big to-Do the best album since A Blessing and a Curse. I love the stuff DBT did with Jason and after a while they appear to be back on the road again. WHEN'S THE TOUR?

5.0 out of 5 stars Where's Shonna, 7 Mar. 2014
This review is from: English Oceans (Audio CD)
As always DBT deliver the goods. The first track on this album is typical Patterson Hood, the second has horns on it for gods sake and seems rather strange for the truckers but after this it's just bliss. Don't think there's any band in world to rival these at the moment.

English Oceans [Explicit]