5.0 out of 5 stars a good motocross sim...with flaws

3.0 out of 5 stars Good BUT
Published 15 months ago by Pen Name

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars a good motocross sim...with flaws, 29 Mar. 2014
This review is from: MXGP - The Official Motocross Videogame (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I'm glad to see that MXGP has improved on everything from MUD:
* it has a dual-stick control option for higher simulation
* you can set your bike before each race - damping, gears etc
* it has a helmet or first-person view
* there is actual terrain deformation this time around
* the animations of the riders are more realistic than before
* it has a proper and lengthy Career mode
* the physics are more realistic than in MUD - to me it is even better than in the MX vs ATV games
* you have a time trial mode !...important if you call something a 'sim'...
* the AI was impressively good

It seems Milestone has finally been able to adapt their SBK och MotoGP technology for Motocross gaming.
If you have played MotoGP 13 you will recognize many of the features and game modes, they are used here as well.
Especially in how the Career mode is structured, which is basically the same as in MotoGP 13.

The biggest improvement for most people will be the much improved physics and gameplay. It reminded me of MX vs ATV Reflex.
Although I enjoyed MUD for what it was, a casual arcade game, I much prefer this sim-like gameplay.

The AI was impressively good, for example when one of them crashed right in front of me he did not get back on the bike until I had passed.
So the AI awareness is really good in this game, there's some shuffle at the start of the race as you would expect but nothing extreme.

On the negative side:
* limited gear customization, you are restricted to purely visual stuff
* you only get 14 tracks
* you don't get every official track from the 2013 season
* the AI is a bit too easy

You can only change colours, rider number and such. Again, this is very similar to MotoGP 13.
It is far from the standards we had in the MX vs ATV games where we could customize pretty much anything.
This is for legal reasons I assume since each team has contracts with specific brands.

The AI is a bit too easy, even on the highest AI difficulty setting.
If you want a good challenge you need to increase the sim-settings and make the game more technical and difficult to master.

14 tracks does not sound like much but sim games are all about learning the tracks and mastering the machine.
When you play this game on full sim it is a real challenge, if you fall you won't win. Learning and training is paramount.
In any case the SBK games only had 13-14 tracks as well (the actual SBK events did not feature more than that).

However where are the other three tracks from the 2013 season ? Loket, Arco di Trento and Lierup ?
It is odd that they market the whole game as being authentic yet three official tracks are missing.
It is as if MotoGP 13 only featured 15 out of 18 official tracks.
I truly hope they will not be in a DLC that we will be forced to buy, that would really annoy me.

For this reason I can't rate the game any higher, it feels incomplete to me, I feel that three tracks are missing.
Other than that the game is very challenging and fun. It feels almost as authentic and simulated as Milestone's other games.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Motocross game I've ever played, 1 April 2014
I love motocross - but I've yet to find a game that really does this sport justice. The MX vs ATV games have been okay - but I've been hoping for a more realistic game for what seems like forever.

I have to say MXGP has really delivered for me. The depth in handling and physics in theis game is insane - for one, you really feel like your riding a bike though dirt, and the track drformation - where the track gets churned up every lap - really makes a difference.

It's also pretty tough to play, which means you don't just win every race like you did in MUD - so it feels like a real challenge, and I always feel like I'm learnign and improving my tachnique all the tie.

You see, MXGP has got a two-stick handling - you can move the bike and your rider weight separately, so you there's really room to play around with your racing style, and learn how to best take corners and jumps.

It actually feels much more intense than any other racer I've played in ages.

Visually it looks pretty good - okay so it's not Forza 5 - but it looks great - and it really makes a difference having all the proper bikes and tracks as well as all the riders and sponsors and stuff you'd see in the actual MXGP.

Probably the biggest bonus for me is the fact this game has a proper career mode, where you can start off as a wild card and then you have to work your way up the ranks, signing deals with better teams. I've put in loads of hours into this now, and I still feel like I've got a long way to go - so for once I have an MX game that I can play for some time on my own, rather than only brining out when my MX mates are over.

So overall, I think this is the best MXGP game that's ever been made - especially in that it feels like the devs have really tried to get the look and feel of the sport right.

I hope this will be the first in a long line of MXGP games now - hopefully on Xbox One next time!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good BUT, 30 April 2014
I got this game as I thought there was a lack of a good MX game. This handles well, reals better than any previous game, but my gripes are that it is way to easy. I'm playing on Real sim with AI on realistic and I have won every race! There is also no weather change?! You always race in the sun, which isn't really acceptable in todays world. You'll get most of the challenge online with other human players.

Verdict,
Good and enjoyable but has it's flaws hence only 3 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality, 2 May 2014
Worth the money. Fun game. Jumping physics are a little off. No local multiplier but it is certainly worth the money. Miles better than FIM MUD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressed!, 23 Jan. 2015
Really good game. Easy to pick up and play to start and when your skill level imroves you can make it more challanging.

The seperate controls fro controlling the steering and shifting your body weight is a bit odd at first but once you get used to it its a great feature.

Im really pleased i bought it definatly the best motorcross game i have played and as its creators also make the Moto GP games the layout is very easy too (almost exactly the same at Moto GP)

4.0 out of 5 stars good motocross game, 11 May 2014
Aldis Zuzens "veterans 40" (Guernsey) - See all my reviews
If you like a motocross , than you will like the game ! Always you wish for something more , but overall is a good game !

5.0 out of 5 stars mxgp, 24 Jun. 2014
It was bought for my grandson and since he got it ,he now seems like a stranger in the evenings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hell of a game, 28 April 2014
Absolutely sick, so realistic and the game play, bikes, tracks, other riders, how you have to progress and get sponsors and everything about it is spot on!

5.0 out of 5 stars very good racing game, 28 April 2014
i like racing games. this one is exciting.i enjoy many hours of playing.would like to see more of the same

5.0 out of 5 stars most fun from a racer in a long time, 26 April 2014
Ive played most if not all decent racing games over the last 30 yrs and there has been some good ones over the years and the winning combination is usually good phyisics and graphics. This game is Different, yes it has good phyisics not great graphics but you wont be looking at how pretty everything looks off the track. what this game does have is fun in buckets let me tell you, but and this is a big but you have to have the patience, you will fall off a lot at first, i started off on most realistic settings, which in my opinion is the way the game should be played, so for a long while i bit the dust, but the better you get the more rewarding it becomes, same with all racers, something will just click and you will be one with the machine. except in this game its a lot more technical, body weight movement as well as throttle control is just so much fun when you get the flow right its such a buzz, never has a game been so rewarding the better you master the controls.
i had mx v atv alive prior to this, while this game is simular in the way you use body movement its no match on realisim and if you liked that you will love this.
Yes i could pick holes in this game, but cant you in any game.
This game has given me so much fun and has been in my xbox since release date, im still improving and its so rewarding when you are one with your machine this is why i give this game 5 stars ,Love it !

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

MXGP - The Official Motocross Videogame (Xbox 360)