4.0 out of 5 stars UP, UP and away... (5 stars, 2 stars, now 4 stars)...
Customer Video Review     Length:: 1:07 Mins
----- UPDATE 30/12/14 -----

Published 13 months ago by DARKcell

Published 2 months ago by E. Machell

4.0 out of 5 stars UP, UP and away... (5 stars, 2 stars, now 4 stars)..., 30 Mar. 2014
DARKcell - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Length:: 1:07 Mins

----- UPDATE 30/12/14 -----

After nine months of use, I'm now onto my third UP24. The first one stopped vibrating after just under three months, and Jawbone replaced it in just over a week from initial contact. The second band lasted just over five months; this time the issue was a defective battery, as it was completely dead, even when left on charge overnight. The third band arrived in just over two weeks from initial contact, which was fine as it was over the 2014 christmas period.

On both occasions, contact with Jawbone was concise, super-quick and without issue. In terms of customer service, I would rate Jawbone 10/10 easily; in terms of product quality, well...
Upon emailing them, they recommended some troubleshooting steps, and when I informed them that they didn't work, they sent me a dispatch notification for the new band. With the new band, comes a pre-paid envelope to put your old UP24 in, and throw it in the nearest postbox. Simple.

The good thing about having a new band every few months, is that after a while, the old band's button becomes squidgy, and not very button-like. The new band's button has a very positive feel, and a reassuring click. After just three months, the old band's button just feels soft, and hasn't much of a click anymore. I would say the longevity of the button's integrity has certainly been brought into question on multiple occasions. Nevertheless, once again, I have a brand new UP24, and am more than happy with it, up until the point it breaks and I get my fourth band. I'm guessing that will be around April/May time. So; until then...

----- UPDATE 09/09/14 -----

An impressive firmware update means that the UP24's battery life, now lasts for around 14 days, which is double the previous seven day estimation.
To update, I simply plugged the UP24 into my computer, and it basically did everything else for me. Simple.
After a full charge, my UP24 app does indeed say that my battery life is now `About 14 days'.
After a few months of use, I can confirm, the battery life is indeed extended up to and around the two week mark.

----- UPDATE 13/04/14 -----

After almost three weeks of continuous use, the following are my bulleted findings. My initial five star rating remains, and my original review is located below this update.

POSITIVES :
+ I really like the ease of putting the band into power nap mode (double press then hold button), and knowing (because of what you've already set in the app) when it will wake you, and how much sleep you'll get.
+ Daily challenges/hints/tips/facts are a very nice touch, making the app more friendly. They are very well written, often providing links to very interesting articles.

NOT SO POSITIVES :
- It is annoying how often I catch it on things/clothing. I now find that wearing it `backwards', with the silver cap on the side of your wrist next to the back of your hand, means it catches less.
- The silver cap is even more scratched than before. It would have been better had this been a black cap with just silver writing. if they released a black cap (which I doubt they ever will), I'd purchase it, just to complete the look.
- The band didn't like me working nights for the first few days. When back into a normal day routine, it was still recommending a bedtime of 04:43am!

NEUTRAL FINDINGS :

- I've only just got comfortable with putting it on without the fear of breaking it. Taking it off was easy from day one.
- Triple clicking then holding down the button on the UP24 appears to reset the bluetooth connection with the phone, properly updating the stats on the app on the slightly more than rare occasions that the app refuses to play ball. This is strangely not in any manuals etc.

WISHES :
- Should be able to set how often it connects to phone via bluetooth to save all batteries involved.
- Would be nice if it linked with phone functions slightly more, vibrating with calls, texts, emails etc to a customisable level. This may well be something Apple doesn't allow though.
- You can log a workout/walk etc after you've finished. It would be nice if the app was smart enough to know roughly when you started and finished your workout. It does this roughly with sleep, but could be improved.

----- UPDATES END & ORIGINAL REVIEW BEGINS -----

----- PRELUDE -----

This will be a rather long review of the UP24, if you have a short attention span, or are just looking for a brief synopsis, read the `Overview' at the very bottom for the pros and cons.
This review has been written after four days of constant use. If my findings change, or I feel something needs to be added/altered, I will return and update this review clearly at the top. If there is no update at the top, this means that the UP24 is still functioning as described below.

The first UP bracelet from Jawbone released a few years ago failed dismally, prompting a mass recall. The second worked and received mixed reviews. So, onto this third iteration that Jawbone have dubbed, the UP24.
The UP24 is my first motion tracking bracelet/device, so there will not be any meaningful comparisons between this and any of its competitors.

----- WHAT'S IN THE BOX? -----

Inside the well presented and packaged box is:

- Jawbone UP24 (came with circa four days battery remaining)
- Brief instruction manual
- Charging cable

----- SIZING -----
Hopefully the below will help you choose the correct size for you.
My wrist measurement came up smack bang in the middle of `medium' and `large'. I went for the medium as I prefer things to be tighter on my wrists than looser. Upon first placing the UP24 on my wrist, it felt really rather tight, and I was partly regretting not getting the larger size. However, after four days of use, the band has loosened a little and feels much better than on day one. I am now happy that I went with the medium rather than the large. To clarify, the band doesn't move up and down my wrist when moving my arm and going about my daily activities. It only moves down when I force it to, which is how I like it. If I had wanted a looser fit, where the band would fall down my wrist when I raise my hand, then I would have gone for the larger size.

----- INITIAL IMPRESSIONS / AESTHETICS -----

Straight out of the box I love the look of the band. It's made of a hypoallergenic TPU rubber that has a great feel to it. The silver removable cap is suitably stiff (shown in video), quelling any worries about it getting lost.
The exterior is largely identical to the previous UP, aside from a slightly different `wavy' pattern on the rubber, and the fact that it's now only available in two colours.
A very positive start.

----- INITIAL USE / CONNECTION -----

Jawbone are quick to point out that this is NOT an elastic band, and to `avoid excessive bending' - (the apparent `correct' way of removing the UP24 is shown in my video). With that in mind I gingerly pushed my fingers and hand through the band until in nestled comfortably on my wrist. (I say comfortably. As mentioned above, initially it was a little tight, but after three or four days, it's now just how I want it).
The main attraction for me of the UP24, as opposed to other like-minded activity bands, was its appearance. No, it doesn't have a screen on it to show you the time or your step count, but to me, that's a positive. I think a band with a screen on looks tacky. The UP24, I could imagine wearing with a suit and it not looking out of place. Bottom line in terms of looks (on and off the wrist) - I SERIOUSLY love it.

To turn on, I simply held down the only button on the band, it vibrated, started flashing and bingo. To connect to my iPhone 5S, I went into the bluetooth settings, it found the device within 20 seconds, and by tapping on `UP24', connected instantly. A very pain-free process.

To utilise all of the UP24's abilities, then it is highly recommended to use it in conjunction with the app...

----- THE APP (FREE) -----

Upon initial connection, I was required to provide some standard info about myself; age, gender, height, weight etc, and also create an account with an email address and password.
The app is so varied in what it shows and can do, that I will break it down into segments, so as to better go through everything:

*** Home screen ***
This is the screen you'll look at most. It shows your total sleep and steps, along with whatever percentage those totals are of your chosen goals. It gives you little hints about how to use the app, and also interesting and useful `Did you know?' facts. Scroll down to see the `UP feed', the appearance of which will be familiar to you if you use Facebook. Scroll up to view a timeline of recent activities, which I find is easier to glance at than the `UP feed'.
*** Goals ***
Here you can set your sleep and step goals. It recommends 8hrs sleep and 10,000 steps. It also says that the average for all UP users is 6.5hrs sleep, and 5,500 steps.
*** Lifeline ***
Simply put, this is a never ending bar chart of your movement and sleep. It also shows when the sun rises/sets, which is a nice touch.
*** Trends ***
You are greeted by two bar chats, one above the other. You can instruct each to show practically any bit of data imaginable; from the amount of sound sleep you've had, to how long you've been active. This feature only activates after two days of data has been gathered. I like it, a lot.
*** Team ***
This is where you can share your data, goals, achievements etc with friends. This can be integrated with Facebook and Twitter. I'm yet to use this feature.
*** Connected apps ***
There is a full list on Jawbone's website of apps that work in unison with the UP app. These include MyFitnessPal, IFTTT, RunKeeper, MayMyFitness, Strava and UP Coffee. The latter being a Jawbone own app, that tracks your coffee intake and shows its effect on your sleep and your mood. For a non coffee drinker like myself, a pointless app, but for a lot of people, it could be extremely interesting.
*** Food ***
I haven't used this to a great extent, since I'm a fan of the MyFitnessPal app. But this integrated offering appears to be quite similar, and has some very nice graphics.
*** Smart sleep alarms ***
You can set up to four recurring alarms. The `smart' bit being that the band will wake you (with vibrations, it can't make noise) at the best point closest to when you set your alarm. Simply put, this will be when you're in a phase of light sleep, as waking whilst in deep sleep leaves you feeling groggy and hating the world.
*** Idle alert ***
Between two times of your choice, the watch will vibrate once when you have been stationary for too long, reminding you to get up and do something. This idle period can be set from 15mins all the way up to 2hrs, in 15min increments.
*** Activity alert ***
With this enabled, your phone will shout at you every X amount of steps (you choose), and also provide you with a summary of the day at a chosen time.
*** Reminders ***
These are simply alarms that you can set to you remind you of things. They will push a reminder onto your phone, and also vibrate the UP24.
*** Workouts ***
You can manually log workouts. Obviously for something like cycling, this band isn't going to be great (although I've always thought it would make sense to put it on your ankle, but have never tried). You tell it when and what you were doing, along with how hard you pushed - it gives you average kcal's burned etc if its something that the band wouldn't have monitored, like weights or yoga.
*** Daily Screen ***
By clicking on your percentage of steps from the `Home' screen, you enter what I've called the `Daily' screen. This shows you all you've done that day, including; active time, longest active, longest idle, resting burn (kcals), active burn (kcals) and total burn (kcals). It also employs another bar chart covering most of the top half of the screen, showing chronologically what you did and how tough it was. By dragging your finger across this graph, you can clearly see what times of day each of these stages were achieved. Again, this shows sun rise/set, which makes it easier to understand at a glance.
*** Sleep screen ***
By clicking on your percentage of sleep from the `Home' screen, you enter what I've called the 'Sleep' screen. This shows you (for the previous night); sound sleep, light sleep, how long it took to fall asleep, how long you were in bed for, how many times you woke up, and total time you were awake for. Much like the `Daily' screen, the top half is a graph, just with different colours, suggesting sleep instead of activity.
*** Extra ***
Within the app you can also:
- See the remaining battery of the band. This is shown as "About four days", with an image of a battery partially filled.
- Calibrate the band. Walk a distance that you know is correct, and then tell the band how far you went.
- Find band. Shows you on Apple maps exactly where your band is incase you leave it somewhere.

----- MODES -----

There are four modes for the UP24. In the video I've attached, I switch between each one, and then check that I am in the correct mode. After first watching the video, unless you've owned an UP before, it probably looks rather confusing. The below should hopefully explain what I was doing.
A single press of the button on the UP24, and it will show you via a picture (or flashing picture) what mode you are currently in. I did this in the video each time after changing modes.
Holding down the button from any mode will bring you back to day mode. Holding down the button from day mode, will take you to night mode.
Within the video, you can hear the vibration to indicate a change of mode.

*** Day (sun that looks like a flower) ***
This is the standard mode. Use this for going about your normal day-to-day activities.
*** Stopwatch (flashing sun) ***
Press button once and then hold down. This is used to time activities. Post activity, you can fill in the gaps as to what you were doing etc.
*** Night (moon) ***
Switch to this when you are in bed, ready to go to sleep. I've found that the smart sleep alarms will work irrelevant of whether or not you're in this mode.
*** Power nap (flashing moon) ***
Double press the button, then hold down. This is a handy feature for when you need a quick nap to power you through the rest of the day. I have this set to optimal. At this setting, it uses all of the data it's gathered (including the sleep data from the previous night), to decide how long your ideal power nap should be, and wakes you when it thinks best.

----- UP24 IN USE -----

During my admittedly short period of use I've been very impressed with the UP24. As far as I can tell it is accurate in terms of steps, and the sleep data you can look at in the morning is most interesting. Below are a few bulleted points that I've discovered through use:

- Whilst typing, I find that turning the band round so that the button is at the top of my wrist is best, as with the alternative, everything gets in the way. By turning it round, it becomes comfortable to type.
- Jawbone claim the UP24 is rain, splash, sweat and shower-resistant. I have worn it in the shower every day, and have so far had no issues.
- It does get caught on things. Clothing in particular. This can get annoying, but it's a small price to pay for the lovely design.
- Charge time is apparently 80mins from dead to full. I've only briefly topped it up as a full charge wasn't time permitting. I've read people complaining that Jawbone claim it's a device to be worn 24/7, and yet you have to take it off to charge. Grow up. I'm sure at least once a week you will be sat in front of the TV for long enough to fully change the device, or indeed in small increments throughout the week. It's not rocket science.
- To charge, simply remove the silver cap (as shown in video), and plug into supplied cable. Said cable is about three inches long and has a USB connector at the other end. Simple.
- You can either have your phone's bluetooth permanently on, or what is certainly better for the battery, turn it on once a day and sync with the band.
- The silver cap where it displays `Jawbone', is quite easily scratched.

✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚

----- CONCLUSION -----

I am extremely impressed with the Jawbone UP24. It promises a lot of things, and as far as I can tell, delivers all of them, in a well thought out and well presented package. So far, I can't fault it...

OVERVIEW
Would I recommend this product to a friend? Yes
If lost/damaged would I repurchase product? Not sure

PROS:
✓ High quality materials
✓ Nice fit
✓ Very attractive (especially without a screen)
✓ Feature-rich app
✓ Accurate data
✓ Sleep information
✓ Shower-resistant
✓ Smart alarms
✓ Ease of use
✓ Compatibility with other apps
✓ NOW 14 day battery life

CONS:
✗ Silver cap is quite easily scratched (not a huge issue)
✗ Catches on clothing whenever changing
✗ Serious questions about the brand's overall reliability

NB:
- Band loosens after a few days, so don't worry if it's rather tight on day one
✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚
If you have any questions regarding this product, feel free to leave comments down below - I'm happy to help...
✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Fitness Band That Does Exactly What Is Wanted, 4 Feb. 2015
This review is from: UP24 Large Wireless Activity and Sleep Tracking Wristband for iOS and Android - Onyx (Accessory)
I have only used one fitness band but I think that this is the only one I will ever need. It is a great little band with very few flaws. When I first opened the box, I initially thought it looked quite uncomfortable and for the first few hours with it on I was correct, however my wrist is quite skinny so that could be a reason why. I chose to get this band as it had the smart alarm and sleep function, as I was very tired throughout the day and wanted to monitor my sleep, wake my self up gently and see whether I was getting enough calories through food for the amount of calories I was burning off through exercise, and I have to say that it works perfectly for each of these functions. I was woken up in the morning by a firm vibrating which was enough to wake me up even if I was in a deep sleep. I have not had this problem yet, but I think that if you are quite forgetful, you could forget to switch functions to the sleep mode and have the band vibrate prematurely if you have been still for too long (useful feature during the day but could be inconsiderate at night if forgotten about). It seems to measure my steps quite well even though my hands are in my jacket pockets which is surprising as I had heard that quite a few people had bands that were not measuring steps correctly. I use an android phone (Samsung Galaxy Note II) and the app is great, occasionally it runs slow but it does not crash nor not work as expected. For food entry I can choose from four different options: I can choose from popular foods on the main food page; I can choose to scan the barcode of the food; I can choose to type in the food (not as accurate as scanning unless the food that you have eaten is branded) or I can choose to manually type in the nutrients according to the packet which is useful if the food is not available and I think that this saves to the database so that other people can use your entered information for the food. Another useful feature with the food is that you can enter exactly how much you have eaten, take for example bread, you can put in how much you ate in weight (oz. or grams) or how many slices (thick, thin or normal) by scrolling across and pushing up or down, this is the first time I have seen something like this but I have not used many apps like this. On the home page of the app you can easily see how much of your goal you have completed (if you haven't set one it will be set to the default one) and it even goes all swirly when the goal has been reached or passed. When I go running in the mornings, I use Bluetooth headphones and i think that the band interferes with the headphones as they crackle when I move my band nearby, this is quite a large issue which I cannot resolve unless I leave the band at home, this is an understandable issue as the bands bluetooth is always on but I think that it could be fixed in a firmware update. As my band is quite loose, I expected it to move around on my wrist more when running but it is actually still quite comfortable. I do think that the band will get loose over time at the bottom as it is already starting to not lie in plush with each side but this is an issue that should not be a problem if the band is not taken off regularly. All in all I think that this is a great fitness band which has more pros than cons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly addictive!, 20 May 2014
I decided to try UP24 after using FitBit Flex for a few weeks, and I was skeptical on the chances I could fall for it. I kept the two product together on my wrist for some days, but I forgot about FitBit and now I wear UP24 all the time.
UP24 literally drags you out of your armchair: you won't be able to call it a day until you reach your daily goal. I personally keep going and get pleasure from breaking all my records on how much I move and the distance I am able to walk.
But in that there's not a big difference with FitBit. What makes a real difference is the application, and how easy it is to add food and activities. I don't need to go through incomplete food databases or add nutrition values manually. I snap a picture of what you're going to eat, and UP24 is smart enough to figure out what it is and its nutrition values. And at the same time I can share it with my UP friends, if I choose so.
Now I use UP24 as an alarm: my bf is happy as I don't disturb him anymore (he gets up way later than me, as his commute is a lot quicker than mine). UP24 wakes me up with its vibration, choosing the right moment, when my sleep is light. I'm in a better mood when I wake up, feel better and get ready quicker than I used to.
The app also streams insights and suggestions on how to take care of your health, lose weight, improve your sleep quality and much more. Not all of them are useful, but then they are silly in a positive way that makes me smile, and I don't complain for having an extra smile in my day!
I am very happy with UP24, even if you think it's not something you would never care about, believe me it can surprise you! If you wish to increase your awareness of how active you are, and want to stay fit, healthy and happy in a cool way you should try this!

2.0 out of 5 stars In principle it is a wonderful device and I enjoy it together with the associated ..., 19 Feb. 2015
E. Machell "Stell" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
I have to say this is the most disappointing product I have ever purchased. In principle it is a wonderful device and I enjoy it together with the associated app a great deal. However, after having 5 separate units all of which have broken I am afraid the bad far outweighs the good. I can speak very highly for the seller Luzern who replaced, extremely quickly each faulty unit. However, Maz Tech have fallen way short. I returned my faulty band in December and I have heard nothing further to confirmation of receipt of my return. My disappointment is now multiplied. The 2 stars are for Luzern's excellent customer service and the great idea and look of the band. Beyond that I am sorry but I cannot recommend this item or seller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Easy to use Activity and Sleep Tracking Wristband, 10 Nov. 2014
Got this to play around with been using it for 2 months now and will you can feed in all the stuff you eat as well I just use it for monitoring my sleep and movement during the day - quite revealing , also really like the reminders you can set up with this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommend, 13 April 2015
I have been using my band for 4 months now and I am really getting on well with it. I don't notice it is there anymore and only sync every 4 or 5 days now. The battery lasts for around 7 days and only takes a couple of hours to re-charge. I now seem to sub-consciously think about how many steps I take a day and how much sleep I need per night. I really like the 'activity mode' for when I am in the gym as I find it a lot easier than logging every single activity. It would be perfect if it was waterproof because then I really wouldn't take it off but I just missed the waterproof band release by Jawbone. This is really good if you are wanting to change your lifestyle for the better - it's good at reminding you to take care of yourself! Simple idea but really works.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works for me, 29 Oct. 2014
J. Davis "Julie Davis" (Guernsey, Channel Islands) - See all my reviews
I LOVE THIS GADGET.
It gives me lots of positive comments and useful information. I have found that, while not banning any food, it has helped me to make more sensible choices. For example, it has made me more aware of the value of having enough fibre in my diet. It is not a gimmick but works on the basic principle of achieving or maintaining a healthy weight - it's all about calories in and calories out. It can also be used by people who need to gain weight. The list of foods with calorific value is very American but I found it easy enough to adapt and you can make up your own for favourite recipes.
It has encouraged me to take more exercise - mainly walking. As well as diet and exercise, it measures sleep and stresses the need for 8 hours sleep most nights. This is quite a lot of sleep for me but it does seem to help.
The band is an easy and comfortable fit. As recommended by the manufacturer, I treat it with care and avoid wetting it. I have read the comments of other users. Maybe I have been lucky but after 5 months continual wear I have had no problems at all.
I am now gradually losing weight (over 2 stone lighter) and feeling much better for it. Judging by friends' comments I am also looking better as well. I still have a way to go to achieve a healthy weight and the UP24 is, for me, a valuable weapon in my battle of the bulge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!!, 20 April 2015
Love this !!! I'm obsessed with it.. Tells me everything I need to know and more. By encouraging me to move more and surpass my targets it's hard to not sit about.. Dead easy to use and set up too!!! All round fab product!!!😃

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy a used one, 15 April 2015
I bought this second-hand, so Jawbone used that as an excuse to refuse to honour the manufacturer's guarantee. Jawbone claims it only has a deal with the first purchaser (who registered the product). Talk about lacking confidence in its own product.
The lesson is - do not buy a used one, since Jawbone knows they are faulty and will refuse to help you when it fails.
Mine lasted seven months. It seems UP24 is now famous for being a broken product from a broken company. Many fail and Jawbone is also reported to be in financial difficulty. Do NOT buy this, or the leaky UP3.
I have read that that Amazon, as a retailer, is still liable under the Sale of Goods Act, despite its 30 limit on cancellation/return of second-hand goods: if the goods are expected to last and do not, the original deal can be nullified. Aggrieved buyers have up to six years to lodge a claim.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice band and good supporting app., 10 Sept. 2014
I have been using this for a couple of weeks following my less than ideal experience with the Garmin Vivofit (flawed strap design led to it falling off, never to be seen again). I use the band with an app on my Android phone, which it connects to with bluetooth.

Jawbone clearly understand how to design a good product and the user experience of this is very good. It is comfortable and secure on the wrist and has some great features such as an intelligent alarm that selects the optimum time to wake you based on your sleep state. The app is user friendly and a good way to record your events.

I have compared this to two other step indicators (including a foot pod which should be better at counting steps) and notice they vary by ~10% - around 1000 steps difference on a typical day! This is not inconsiderable but should be expected given this is a wrist-worn device that attempts to infer steps from wrist motion.

Practicalities and limitations:
- The band has a rechargeable battery that in my experience lasts ~5 days (Jawbone claim 7 but will vary depending how much interactive use it gets).
- It is not waterproof so has to be removed if it is likely to come into contact with anything more than a splash.
- Setup is very straightforward.
- Ultimately this will only record steps!
- Despite multiple attempts to calibrate this device using a GPS measurement of a distance (walk/run) it is not that accurate at estimating distance so you should only treat this as a guide.