Published 4 months ago by M. B. Wilson

3.0 out of 5 stars Best served fresh
Published 2 months ago by Lawrence Poulton

4.0 out of 5 stars True to original but sparser (and no Stephen or female BVs). Some tracks are brilliant, some slightly demo-ish, 16 April 2014
M. B. Wilson "crushtrash" (Bristol) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Happy Families Too... The Story So Far... (Audio CD)
For anyone initially doubtful, if you are a Blancmange fan then this is a must have album! The only reason I'm giving 4 stars is that some of the intensity that I loved so much in the original, including the female BVs on "Can't Explain" and "Feel Me", has been dropped for a more minimal feel. The arrangements are still generally excellent, with all tracks staying pretty true to the originals, and most of the remixes on this 2014 edition are really strong (yet to fully get my head around the rather odd "Cruel" Komputer Remix).

Neil's interviews recently confirm Stephen is unfortunately not currently involved with Blancmange, due to health, and this is at times very apparent. His vocals are strong and high in the mix, but sometimes the backing does not develop much through the track. Each track was reconsidered, and there is a lot of fun going on in the arrangements. It's also great to see a new take on "Running Thin" added to the album, as it was a classy b-side.

There are some credited female BVs on the first 2 tracks, but they are so quiet that they left me a bit frustrated and wanting the original arrangement even more. Personal taste, ofcourse!

3.0 out of 5 stars Best served fresh, 22 Jun 2014
This review is from: Happy Families Too... The Story So Far... (Audio CD)
Lets put this review in context. I am old enough to have the original vinyl and I lived thru the 80's (and earlier decades I might add) but the late 70's and 80's were my musical awakenings. I don't like this 'reinterpretation". By contrast - I love the original. Most of my dislike can probably be put down to having lived the original and anything else, including a remake, pales in comparison. But music is of the time - it sits in a persons life historically. As such it revolves around who you were at that time, what was happening in your life and what music you turned to. Musical taste reflects a part of you and me. So, for me, the original could never be surpassed. The reworking is not relevant to my life at present as other music is now. As such its an anachronism. For me, the energy of the original is absent. This is a sanitised and perhaps too clever reworking. Something has been lost. Perhaps if you heard this without hearing the original, it would be a better experience that I received. I give it the benefit of 3 stars for that reason alone, as a recommendation to the new listener if you will. If you are a new listener, hearing this album for the first time, I would be interested what you thought of the original after hearing this.

Was this reinterpretation a bad idea? Im not sure. I would have preferred the energy and time used here to produce something fresh.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great version, 8 April 2014
This review is from: Happy Families Too... The Story So Far... (Audio CD)
If you are into Blancmange or enjoy them live then this is one to get.
The remixes are value alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't explain....but this is good., 10 Jun 2014
Mr D Carroll (Wahroonga, NSW Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Happy Families Too... The Story So Far... (Audio CD)
Sometimes the new arrangements are more sparse that the originals but that does not mean they are worse. The remixes are all excellent. A great companion to the original album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent revisit, 26 May 2014
R. Nicklin (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
Totally new version of the classic must buy album of the 80s

Bought the original vinyl of the day of release and loved it ever since.

Was a bit sceptical that it couldn't be bettered but this is a really great CD

The extras are impressive as well.

Well recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars the re-birth of a synth band, 18 May 2014
This review is from: Happy Families Too... The Story So Far... (Audio CD)
a fantastic re make of a classic brining it to a new audience of listeners. The album is worth buying even just for the Vince Clarke re mix of living on the ceiling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Families Too, 2 May 2014
This review is from: Happy Families Too (MP3 Download)
Love this album ,Blancmange have always been a big favourite of mine ,and I have to say this album is I think there best ever ,new ,not remixes but new fresh takes on there best known popular hits are amazingly done and the new songs are just fab ,and what cant I say about Neil Arthur ,an amazingly talented man with one of the most best voices ever ,I could go on ,but I love this album ,love Blancmange .buy it .

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Re-recording, 11 April 2014
This review is from: Happy Families Too... The Story So Far... (Audio CD)
Well this is just cool, I've been shopping .......online. There's nothing bad to say, just enjoy! Great work thanks Blancmange!

1.0 out of 5 stars deceiving, 18 April 2014
This review is from: Happy Families Too... The Story So Far... (Audio CD)
bad re6recording, cheap sounds, bad remixes. this cd is useless and the band seems tired.. maybe they shoud have never reappeared

Happy Families Too... The Story So Far...
Happy Families Too... The Story So Far... by Blancmange (Audio CD - 2014)