Movie soundtracks can be a mixed bag, often they are mismatched songs with little in common other than the movie title they stand under. This collection however works well not only as a backdrop to the movie itself but also as a stand alone album in its own right.

Published 2 months ago by Ghost

3.0 out of 5 stars DIVERGENT
There are some good songs like Find You, Beating HeArt and Run Boy Run. I am not a big fan of skrillex though but I would recommend this album.
Published 5 months ago by LDOG

4.0 out of 5 stars Please DO NOT chase trains whilst listening ...................., 28 Sep 2014
This review is from: Divergent: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (Audio CD)

Initially I picked it up because of Ellie Goulding, who's voice runs like a golden shimmer through the soundscape of the movie. A couple of the songs have been lifted straight off her Halcyon Days album, namely 'Dead in the Water' and 'My Blood', with a remix of 'Hanging On' which has a far more pounding/dance tempo added which does hook you in very effectively. The other song provided by Ellie is 'Beating Heart' which I have to profess to be my favourite. It is a typical offering from her, which hits the right notes of being a movie song, but without selling out.

Another notable contributor is Snow Patrol's with 'I Won't Let You Go', a moody love song powered by heavy drums and poignant lyrics. Firmly written to accompany the plot and emphasis the 'Four' and 'Tris' relationship, it also captures the character of 'Four', himself.

In fact the whole collection of songs almost act as a dialogue between the two protagonists. The lyrics capture the essence of the novel and the memorable choruses anchor the listener to the movie, so much so it almost plays out in your mind as you listen.

For me that's what makes a movie soundtrack effective, the ability to capture the visuals in audio form and this album does that perfectly, the unexpected added bonus is that is does stand as a great collection of songs in it's own right. Balancing ballads (some deep and pounding, others gentle and melodic) with techno/electronic/rock tracks, the songs move from the romantic element of the movie to the fast paced action that counterbalances it and back again with ease. Not once does the album feel contrived yet after each potentially heavy track the pace lightens enough to recover and then dives back into the intensity again. There is also the mix of female vocals with pounding base undertones, which are always a good combination. It captures the world of the Dauntless faction and their reckless abandon very effectively.

Of all the tracks I especially enjoyed 'Waiting Game' by banks and 'Fight for You' by Pia Mia. The first single from the album, 'Find You' by Zedd, was my least favourite though and feels like the weak track of the set. For me it's far too highly paced and disco toned to open the album with, but that's only my opinion.

On the whole I recommend the album to anyone hooked on the movie or the book, and if you are not sure then listen to the clips, they will convince you. But be warned, 'Run Boy Run' by Woodkid will have you pumped up enough to run after a train when it finishes, in fact the whole album with have you ready to do that. For health as safety reasons though may I suggest you put it on your MP3 player, and enjoy it whilst running around your block for a bit, wear black and an intense look for added authenticity.

Many thanks for reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect movie soundtrack!, 4 Nov 2014
Ellen (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Divergent: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (Audio CD)
When I first saw divergent one of the first things I loved was the music throughout he film. I felt that every song chosen perfectly fit within and the music never really seemed out of place. This album was exactly what I wanted! It complies together all my favourite tracks from the movie with some others that I didn't notice as much the first time I saw the movie but still enjoy. Since the movie has been released on DVD I have of course seen it a couple more times and find it easier to place the songs which has meant that when listening to the album I recall many of the scenes from the movie themselves. Some of my personal favourites from the album consist of 'Hanging On' (Ellie Goulding), 'Run Boy Run' (Woodkid) and my personal favourite, Lost and Found (Pretty Lights). I recommend this to anyone who is a big fan of the music within the movie or just the movie in general.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed this soundtrack!, 13 Dec 2014
This review is from: Divergent / O.S.T. (Audio CD)
In this day and age, music in films is totally dominated by Hans Zimmer which is, on one hand, good (because he's an awesome composer), but it limits variety. So when I heard a soundtrack that I kind of liked (I did not care much for the film itself, though), I decided to give it a go.

Divergent's soundtrack is punchy, dynamic, and hits the right notes in the brain. It has good intensity and is varied enough to let us audiophiles appreciate the different aspects of our music equipment. I'd say most of Divergent's soundtrack is 'tension music', something to psych you up, and in that the soundtrack succeeds. But this is often interrupted with softer tones and a lot more 'flow', so it makes for a nice audio journey.

4.0 out of 5 stars Film good. Soundtrack - good, 18 Aug 2014
Books Fab. Film good. Soundtrack - good. A few duffers on there but i really liked the soundtrack as i was watching the film recently and is worth buying.

3.0 out of 5 stars DIVERGENT, 10 July 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 24 Nov 2014
very good thank you

Divergent: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Divergent: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack by Various Artists (Audio CD - 2014)