5.0 out of 5 stars Alien Fan Bias

5.0 out of 5 stars Alien Fan Bias, 29 May 2014
Not the best, out of the omnibus sets but good enough

I Like this now I got the full set

3.0 out of 5 stars A break from the normal, 2 Feb 2011
This omnibus kept me turning the pages, but I cant say I completely enjoyed it as it was quite different from the usual stories and settings of most of the other comics. For anyone who has an interest in these graphic novels it is worth the money, but some of the stories seemed quite short and isolated from the main universe. A lot are quite experimental, and whilst still enjoyable I cant say that these comics pander to the average aliens fan. Because the comics are fairly short and differ so much in subject matter, reading this through can feel quite disjointed and in parts pretentious.

Alchemy:***
I didnt like the artwork of this novel personally, and the story is deliberately confusing to start with despite turning out to be a decent concept. The big twist at the end was satisfying, and it is a comment on human society. The alien in this tale is supplemental to the events and never really takes centre stage. Not my favourite comic, but a decent attempt at a variation from the usual formula.

Kidnapped:****
I enjoyed this comic, although it doesnt take itself too seriously. The general story is that smugglers pick up an alien egg which looks different to the usual ones and attempt to sell it. The artwork is good in places, and it doesnt feel like the ultra serious comics which have gone before. The vision of the future is quirky, and more Total Recall than Blade Runner, but each writer has their own ideas and it is a welcome interpretation.

Survival:***
Quite experimental in its narrative, this tale is almost schizophrenic in the way it darts through dreams, time and reality. A simple story about a excavation team encountering aliens is made much more interesting by the way the story is presented. The art is fairly good, and the writer has taken a gamble in the way he has chosen to relay the events. What would be a fairly normal plot has been made more intriguing, but I personally thought that it was overly confusing at times.

Cargo:**
A very short comic, with very little characterisation or plot. The artwork is ok, but this is just a two-minute short story.

Alien:**
The protagonists in this story are different aliens who themselves come up against the xenomorphs. The art is good, the story is average and fairly short, but this is too far removed from the usual universe for me to enjoy it too much. Not a bad effort as part of an Omnibus, but this would be fairly weak on its own.

Earth Angel:*
I didnt like the art or the story of this comic. It takes place on earth in the past and wasnt in keeping with the general theme of the comics, similar to Alchemy, but with a worse premise. I thought this was the weakest in the book.

Incubation:**
This is another short story, which gives an insight into other aliens encounters with the xenomorph. The animation is decent, but this is another side-event.

Havoc:***
The most interesting thing about this comic is that lots of different artists have taken turns to draw different scenes. It is fascinating to see the various styles that are employed, but at the same time it takes you out of the story somewhat as it disrupts the flow between events.

Lovesick:*
Another short comic, which doesnt really allow you to invest any emotion in the story. Sometimes I get the impression that the writer simply really wanted to make an alien comic, without wanting to put the time in. As such, this doesnt really have any unique insight and I found it easy on the eye, but wholly unneccesary.

Lucky:***
I enjoyed this despite it being short, as it has the interesting idea that sometimes the bad-guy wins. Perhaps the omnibus should have ended with a longer story though, as the fact that the last two comics are short gives this book a rather unfinished feel on the whole.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good service by Amazon, awful game, 17 Feb 2013
Bought this for my boyfriends birthday and it's awful - now I feel bad and will have to get him something else! It serves me right for not waiting for the reviews as I normally would. Terrible graphics and not at all what was promised from the demo's.

Aliens Omnibus Volume 5