4.0 out of 5 stars Strong but expensive - Updated
Not bad at all for a protective case. Used for a couple of months now for S3 mini.

Published 18 months ago by Nothern Climes

I've used casemate tough covers for my s2, s4 and now s5
While they streamlined the design with the s4 it still offered superb protection while reducing bulk and offering a good grippy surface.
When I saw this stylish case with the casemate tough branding I immediately purchased it, thinking it would live up to the past standards, but sadly it doesn't...
Published 6 months ago by mrmarc

4.0 out of 5 stars Strong but expensive - Updated, 25 April 2013
Nothern Climes (Yorkshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Tricky to put phone into case but even trickier to get the thing out! Typically one ends up accidentally removing the back cover of the phone bc of trying to ease off the protective (rubber/plastic) case, but this is probably better than the opposite of having too loose a case. Case actually composed of 2 parts - rubber flexible inner and hard rubber/plastic outer. Allegedly this provides the best protection if dropped etc.

Holes are accurately located and the two side buttons have special areas that you press through to activate the buttons. You need quite a strong press (grip?) to do this though, but again maybe this is a positive, so that they're not activated accidentally.

Have dropped phone (in case) a couple of times and so far, no damage. Impossible to say how effective it'll be if drop from height onto concrete & so on, & I'm sorry, but I'm not prepared to test it for the purposes of this review!

Sufficiently smooth to allow relatively easy placement into/extraction from my trouser pocket as well as being not very obtrusive above screen (abt 1mm lip).

Would be 5 stars but for the price - I paid around £21 + postage in early March '13, which compared to this case for other phone models, is certainly more.

UPDATE - 19th July 2013

Okay - so now I've tested it after dropping the phone onto a concrete path. It was an accident, but given that it happened and the phone appears intact, I thought I'd use this opportunity to update this review in a more positive light!

Hope this helps!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant case, 31 Aug 2011
I bought this case as soon as I had my new phone. The galaxy s2 is very thin and I didn't want any damage done to it if it was dropped etc.
This case is brilliant! very tough, feels nice and is great quality. I have dropped my phone a few of times since having it and it just bounces with the case on, no damage was done at all.
Comes with two layers, a soft rubber innner case and the thicker and more solid outer case. It also protects the front by the small rubber lip being higher than the front screen, if it lands face down the screen isnt touching the floor.
I would highly recomend the case mate brand and this particular case especially.
I have also got the clear screen protector that you stick on to avoid any scratches to the screen, worth buying to protect the front as well just in case.

4.0 out of 5 stars A real review from a real person..........., 27 April 2013
Well done casemate for making another good tough case, the design since the htc desire has slowly improved, The last tough case I had was for the s3 and is abit of a fiddle to get into the outer shell, but power button first and the volume buttons second and you'd be done.

This one however is totally open, you can see the power and volume button holes are clear at the top, instead, the two parts join via a tongue and groove type affair, this means no resetting the phone when the power button gets stuck when trying to fit the outer shell, the jury's still out on whether this new design is as usable as past designs but it's definitely easier to fit to the phone.

The edges on the screen face are less pronounced compared to the s3 version and although providing adequate protection by protruding about 2mm , give the case slightly thinner feel than the s3, this is a good thing.

Large bodied jacks plug in without the need to remove the silicone jacket unlike the s3 version, there's more space around that area finally.

Because the silicon jacket doesn't sit tight into the outer shell's cut outs there isn't any sticky buttons holding the volume down or restarting your phone

All in all, for the first day, I'm quite pleased with this case, it seems its the usual build quality that I've come to expect from case mate's tough cases, nothing seems to wear out, no coatings flake off, I'm confident that this is of the same materials and as such, will last the life of my phone contract (fingers crossed).

This case combined with the terrapin 6x screen protectors and I reckon my phone should be looking good for some time.

Will amend if anything changes.

To explain the title,
Some company has been falsely advertising using the amazon review system to gain an advantage over decent reputable companies like casemate.

I've had this case for over a week now but have only written a review on it tonight, why??
Because I only got the phone today to check how it fits.
Be aware that the galaxy S4 came out 26/04/2013 and no earlier, any "glowing", 5 star reviews before this date are false and are just an underhand selling technique.

I won't say their name on this review but I'm sure if you're looking for a case, you'll find them.

4.0 out of 5 stars The FACTS about the Galaxy S2 echo problem & the Case-Mate Tough Case, 31 Oct 2011
D. Parsons (Guernsey) - See all my reviews
OVERVIEW

There is a story to tell about using protective cases with the Samsung Galaxy S2 (SGS2)... the story of the dreaded SGS2 Echo Problem. This review is intended for people who are looking at buying the Case-Mate Tough Case but are concerned about this echo problem. For those unaffected by the echo issue, sorry for the rambling and please just skip to my conclusion below.

ECHO PROBLEM

There is a serious issue with the Samsung Galaxy S2 that needs to be brought to light, namely the "echo" problem when the phone is used with a protective case such as the Case-Mate Tough Case, or any other case for that matter. This fault has affected a number of SGS2 users. Just Google "galaxy s2 echo problem" and you'll see what I'm talking about. Unfortunately, if your phone is affected then you're one of the unlucky ones because, as I found out, it is a hardware fault with the phone!

I bought my SGS2 a few weeks ago, and started looking into which case to get. This Case-Mate Tough Case sounded ideal for my needs, but I was concerned about a few reported "echo" issues (you'll see this mentioned in some reviews on this page). So I looked at reviews for other SGS2 cases from other manufacturers and I found similar reports. Then I found lots of reports on forums of people getting this problem with various cases. Confused and concerned, I decided to order one of the cheap cases made from TPU that you'll find everywhere for a few quid, and my plan was to use this while I decided on which high-quality case to buy.

When the cheap temporary case arrived I popped it on the phone and my first caller, without prompting, complained about their own voice being echoed back to them. To say that I was gutted is an understatement, especially after spending all that money on the phone and committing to a two year contract if I couldn't even protect the phone with a case!

After a bit more experimentation, I found what others had found: that the echo disappeared if I (a) switched off noise reduction every time a call was established, or (b) just used the speakerphone feature, or (c) removed the case from the phone. Updating the phone's firmware to the latest version made no difference at all.

To cut a long story short, I eventually called Samsung UK. Their response was shockingly dismissive, and you could tell they had been pre-programmed to completely deny that this issue existed. They told me that unless I was using the official Samsung case then they couldn't help me. As you may know, the official Samsung case is a thin piece of mesh plastic that clips to the back of the phone and offers virtually no protection at all! I'll talk more about Samsung's appalling cover-up in my review of the SGS2 (don't get me wrong, I love the phone!), but it is interesting to note that Samsung were going to sell an official case similar to Case-Mate's Tough Case but then withdrew it from sale. Google "samsung galaxy s2 d30 dual shell case"... this is now shown on just a couple of websites as "discontinued". I believe it was withdrawn because it highlighted a widespread problem with their own product, the SGS2.

I eventually took my SGS2 back to my mobile provider, and demonstrated the problem. Luckily they offered to exchange it, and I was amazed to find that the echo problem disappeared completely! I tried my cheap TPU case - no echo. I bit the bullet and ordered the Case-Mate Tough Case - it arrived, I fitted it... still no echo! :- The problem had been isolated to the phone itself. There is nothing wrong with the Tough Case, and there is nothing wrong with the cheap TPU cases or any of the other cases that have "echo" complaints against them.

If your SGS2 is affected by the echo problem, then ANY protective case that you put on your phone will cause the other party in the call to hear their own voice a fraction of a second after they speak, making a conversation a complete nightmare. Some cases might make the echo louder than others, but if your phone is affected then any case will cause you grief.

CONCLUSION

The Case-Mate Tough Case is an awesome case, and gets 4 out of 5 stars for perfect fit, protection of the phone and rugged good looks. This is the one that will probably stay on my phone for as long as I own it, just because I know it will extend the life of the phone and allow me to sell it on in a couple of years time in "mint condition". The case does add to the weight and thickness to the phone, but I think this is a small sacrifice for the extra grip and protection it provides (the naked phone is slim & slippery and wouldn't do well in a confrontation with concrete or tarmac). Note that the hard outer shell of the case is a slighly rubberised plastic, which is grippy in the hand but still slips in and out of the pocket easily. I've deducted one star because the case came without a screen protector, which is quite surprising for the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Close fit, 3 July 2012
Chris "chrisgb" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I previously had an aluminium metal case on a Galaxy S (mark-1), and it kept the phone in very good condition. Hopefully this will do the same; the Tough Case is in two parts - a silicone inner "glove" with a harder plastic shell aorund the outside. It's actually such a close fit that trying to fit the two parts seperately makes it almost impossible to get the phone inside, so you're better off just pushing the phone inside and to hell with it. Partly this is due to the large rubber pads that fit over the power and volume rocker buttons - you can't actually touch the buttons themselves anymore once the inner sleeve is in place - just the rubber covering them - but it doesn't interfere with the operations.

Once installed, the silicone seals around the top and bottom (with cutouts for the headphone jack, USB socket and camera etc.), while the rigid plastic fits around the sides. It also provides a small lip on the top so that if left face-down, the screen won't be touching any flat surfaces - although the Gorilla Glass in use on all the Galaxy models is extremely resistant to scratching anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Case-Mate Tough Case for Samsung Galaxy S2 - Black, 26 May 2012
At first I thought I'm not going to put a case on my S2, because only one I liked was Samsung original case which didn't provide any protection except on the back. But if phone falls it usually fall on the corner, witch wasn't protected with Samsung's original case.
I had Case-Mate case for my wife's HTS desire S and I liked it very much, but I thought this case would be very bulky and as I read online forums it would give echo for person you calling.
But since case wasn't that expensive here on amazon I thought I would give it a go.
So when I got the case and put it on the phone I was surprised it didn't add much bulk to the phone despite being two layer case, silicon and plastic. And I love the grip that coating on the plastic provides.
But what I feared most happened, when I called my friend he complained about the echo he was hearing,he would hear everything he was saying back on his phone. SO I was very disappointed because I liked the case a lot. My phone Samsung galaxy S2 at that time was running Android version 3.x.x Honeycomb. I started to look online how to fix the problem. Some people where saying it's hardware problem, some blamed the case and where cutting out bigger holes for microphone and that helped them to get rid on echo effect.I didn't want to tamper with case because it would look ugly, so I thought I look for software fix. S2 has two microphones, one on the bottom and one on top for noise cancellation, and that was causing echo when the phone was in the case.
But then miracle happened. My phone company (Vodafone) started rolling out android update for S2 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich, and suddenly after update the echo was gone. So the problem was with the phones software not the case at least in my situation. For some people I read was the hardware problem with the microphone itself, so I'm not saying the software update going to fix everyone's problems.

I'm very careful with my phones, but yesterday after having case almost for the month, I was pulling my phone out of the pocked from pants ant it felt on asphalt, bouncing around. When I picked up the phone it had couple scratches, it basically hit all corners when it was bouncing. I thought scratches would stay, but I brushed them with my thumb and they disappeared, like nothing happened. I never taking my phone out of this case :)I Would recommend this case to anyone with Samsung Galaxy S2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard Shell - That works!, 27 Oct 2011
I recently purchased this product from Amazon after try out countless cheap rubberised covers. First off, I have to say that the price off Amazon is fantastic when compared to certain High Street phone outlets.

The item comes in two parts(an inner soft rubber skin and the outer hard shell). Don't believe from previous reviews that it doesn't fit or is complicated to fit. After removal from the box it will take you no longer than 10 seconds to fit. No fitting instructions are supplied or needed. The two layers of protection fit together perfectly. It does make the phone feel larger but this is balanced by the feeling of your phone being much safer. I work in a warehouse and accidentally dropped my phone from a height of 15ft! I heard an almighty crack as it hit the floor but to my amazement - not a single mark, scuff or crack. Needless to say the phone worked perfectly afterwards.

So, I'm giving 5 Stars for this product because I know it works!

Buy with confidence.

4.0 out of 5 stars good case, 2 Sep 2011
Fits very well and is sturdy - gives good protection to the phone - nice design so rim protects screen and camera. Hard plastic outer case slides on hard surfaces but you can put the phone face down and it rests on the rubber rim and stops this from happening. Obviously makes a thin phone a little thicker but to be expected really thinner cases can be bought but they compromise on protection. I've not had any echo problems at all when using the phone with the case so maybe this was a problem on earlier phones only? The case does tend to attract dust and debris from trouser pockets but its not a big deal. If your looking for a good quality case for a phone that will have a hard life this is it.

4.0 out of 5 stars great case and no echo after service.........;), 12 Dec 2011
After having the htc desire casemate tough, I got the tough for the s2 as soon as I bought the phone.

The first thing that struck me is that it's a little more difficult to fit as there are buttons on both sides of this phone unlike the desire, this is a minor point as once the case was fitted it, It felt like my desire, rough and ready.

Unlike the htc desire case, this doesn't come with a screen protector, media devil seem to do good ones though.

The fit and finish are perfect, but I'd love to see a dock that can be used while this phone is in this case, I have seen the samsung note dock, it's totally open so might look into that as an option.

I have no issue with this case at all and after many years of krussell cases, I've got a new case maker to buy from without asking any questions as to it's build quality and functionality.

There was of course the infamous echo on the caller's end that blighted the new phone experience for me, but as most of my contact is done with messages or email, it was on the back burner and I let it go for a day or two.

After some casual browsing and understanding of the problems but not finding a homebrew solution, I decided to go the route that HAS had success every time.

Just today I decided to ring samsung and find out where the nearest service centre in enfield was.

After calling pocket phone shop in cheshunt (en8 8lq) (01992 630 430) they said they can do it now and in under the hour.

No sooner had I returned home, they sent a text informing me of the repair.

Top boys.......................

Knowing what they had done to fix the problem, which is the change the ui circuit that holds most of the things that are to blame for the echo, I asked if they get alot of this, "some" was the reply and mine was the first black s2 in for this as "it's normally the white ones that have this fault."

Meh, there we go, I have provided their details for anyone that is considering sorting this problem once and for all and for free as it's a warranty repair, sticky tape, firmware updates and turning off the NR every call are not options.

This was the only thing that was wrong with the phone and it was only with a case on, but there was no way I was going to go naked. Nevermind "killer" this things an Iphone burier, with a solid case to boot.

So if you're near enfield and have this problem, consider it an hour out of your day for several months of trouble free phone use.

1.0 out of 5 stars It's OK at a push, but it seems casemates latest covers are not what they used to be, 24 April 2014
I've used casemate tough covers for my s2, s4 and now s5
When I saw this stylish case with the casemate tough branding I immediately purchased it, thinking it would live up to the past standards, but sadly it doesn't .
Firstly I don't believe it should have the casemate tough branding, because its really not, the plastic bumper is very thin, flimsy and already has lots of scratches from only 1 weeks use! (something not experienced with casemate tough cases before), and also every surface of the cover is not what you would call grippy by any standard!, in fact the case has lead me to drop the phone as a result of this!
There seems to have another casemate s5 tough case available more in-line of the previous versions I had, but sadly 3x1star reviews have put me off purchasing it and I'm going to try a spigen tough armour instead, which has rave reviews so far...