on 25 September 2015
Great storyline and well written. It is more a saga than the normal character based stories. There a lot of characters involved in this one and you don't get too deeply involved in any of them. The unravelling tale of a developing defence force is brilliant. There are few plot holes and is real page turner. Finished this book and started book 2 immediately after.
on 16 October 2015
A near-future Earth is under threat by xenocidal aliens. We need allies and advances in military technology. Most of all, we need heroes, and not just those on the battlefield. PP Corcoran delivers all that and more in this pitch-perfect drama. It's very readable. Don't expect to be able to put this down easily once you've started reading.
on 23 April 2016
This was a really great book for me - I've spent a while going through a range of sci-fi on Amazon kindle and this is one of the few I've come across which I would give five stars to. It doesnt flag too much at any point, and its not entirely cliched like a lot of the books in this genre are. We span the whole space from first contact to the inevitable interstellar warfare. Really good read - would highly recommend. I picked it up as part of the 'English Military Science Fiction' mega-book.
on 29 May 2015
I think this is a lot more intelligent that the cover would suggest, i.e. it looks like it might be another mindless military gungho alien shoot em up. It has more depth than that, the characters grow steadily stronger over the course and I like the fact that some are expendable. Aliens, yeah what do they look like? Hmmm I know this is very difficult so I am not knocking the Author. This is the only problem I have with it, as there are more than one race and there needs to be a distinction between them, the author has to come up with something credible but your imagination might get stretched a little. There are some events that are truly monumental and surprisingly are skimmed over, hang on I am complaining again. Forget that, the book is great military scifi without being predictable, a very good plot, solid characters that are developing and an easy read. I shall be getting the next book, which says it all really. Good job.
on 1 December 2015
More militaristic SciFi to add to the Zeitgeist. There is nothing but the wargames stuff coming out. These books are ok but have cardoard characters spending their lives heroically against the usual incomprehensibly evil villains.

It's one relieving point is that for once the villains turn out noyt to be incomprehensibly motivated after all.
on 15 December 2014
This is quite simply one of the best military science fiction novels I have read. From the lost ion drive drones always lost once 2/3 the speed of light was reached, or so they thought. The truth was a revelation allowing humans to move at will through the galaxy, the discovery of the Saiph homeworld and its secrets, shocking in many ways. I loved it and for a debut novel it is unrivalled in my opinion.
on 31 August 2015
This is an excellent debut novel from PP Corcoran. The author creates an imaginative and engrossing universe populated by a number of fascinating alien civilisations. The reader shares the experience of the protagonists as the story develops. I was gripped by plot, reading page after page as the multiple POV characters sought to solve the mysteries of the ancient 'Saiph', and as the newly formed galactic alliance faces the dangerous threat posed by the nefarious 'Others'. The detailed descriptions of technology and weaponry should surely satisfy even the most hard-core fan of military SciFi. I look forward to reading the next novel in the series.
on 31 January 2015
What a first book in what I hope will be a long series. Great storyline with very believable scenarios, characters building nicely and written in such a away you realyy do not want to stop reading. When is the next one available!!!
on 14 April 2014
This is the first book I have read by this author. Fast paced with a logical storyline although very coincidental so many races enter space within a similar time span – hey it fictions though. Brilliant space opera and well worth the 5 stars. Can't wait for the next book.
on 24 June 2016
Pros:
* competently written
* fast paced and interesting
* Likeable characters

Cons:
suspension of dis-belief failures:-
* why do LASERS sometimes only travel at NEARLY the speed of light?
* I like the idea that a common threat causes a lot of humans to work together for survival and the common good; but I stumble over the idea that there is only ONE corrupt self-serving politician.
* when a good-guys spaceship detects the arrival of an enemy 5 light-hours distant it quickly hides behind the nearby planet. BUT the enemy spaceship physically arrived 5 hours ago; so it will already have been able to see light arriving from the goodies ship for 5 hours before the goodies even begin to move. (why this bothered me, when I could accept nearly instantaneous FTL, I can't explain)