4.0 out of 5 stars Superb
Published 4 months ago by Mr. S. Storey

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Not too bad, Didn't t realise it told you who did it before hand but its ok.
Published 4 days ago by Jacqui Wright

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 10 Mar 2014
Mr. S. Storey "eats beans" (not at work) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Motive - Season 1 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
The premise gives us echos of 'columbo' in that the victim and killer are known to the viewer early on and it is the manner of the crime along with the motive that is revealed as the plot moves on. The season one tales are all self contained and neatly wrapped up within the hour. The cast display an interesting chemistry and Kristin Lehman excels as the strong central character who thankfully isn't a walking cliche; she's intelligently written towards the right side of sassy and her obvious beauty isn't placed centre stage for cheap thrills. The scripts take a pragmatic approach to policework, employing dramatic, character driven highs rather than lazy shootouts with poorly drawn bad guys. Also, In a refreshingly bold move, the first season doesn't chip away at a hidden (never to be resolved) story arc and doesn't concern itself with the love lives of the cast.

Louis Ferreira lends ample support as the worldly yet sympathetic partner and the surprising addition of Lauren Holly brings a familiar face to the strong ensemble cast. The fresh approach to storytelling is bolstered by strong scripts and committed performances from leading players and bit parts alike. I found myself looking forward to each episode when the season aired on Universal and I look forward to owning the DVD.

Kudos to CTV for delivering so much more than a shallow, by the numbers, cop procedural.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect procedural, finally!, 26 July 2014
Kevin Berne (Nussloch , Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Motive - Season 1 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Motive is a rather small canadian-produced criminal procedural show that focuses on why a killer killed his victim rather than spending the whole episode guessing who did it. In the beginning we learn about both the killer and victim and we are consecutively shown both our investigative team handling the case and flashbacks that explain to us what led up to the murder.
The concept is basically a modern-day version of Columbo. Contrary to the CSI franchise which I stopped watching entirely quite some time ago, both the plots and the characters are not laughably generic but do in fact feel realistic and the series has a strong emotional undertone. All in all, the show manages to pull the viewer in nicely and I could not find a single episode within this boxset that I did not like.
On the production side the show is top-notch, especially the monumentally fantastic photography by director of photography Mathias Herndl stands out which fantastic perception of image depth, great lenses, beautiful colouring and contrast and nicely kinetic pacing. The soundtrack is as good as the editing and I had a ball watching the whole way through. While there are no extras on this boxset, the technical quality of the episodes themselves is as good as it gets on DVD and makes some Blu Rays pale in comparison. I heavily endorse both this show and this DVD release, look forward to next season hopefully on BD and am more than happy to have found a proper procedural show that doen't make me feel like I am wasting my time! What a great show!

5.0 out of 5 stars Episodic and rewarding., 13 Mar 2014
This review is from: Motive - Season 1 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I think American producers have learnt in recent years that there is no guarantee that a series is going to have longevity such is the fickleness of tv audiences today.
I list just a few debatably good series that have collapsed within a short time of airing: My Own Worst Enemy: Season 1 [DVD],FlashForward - The Complete Series [DVD],Alcatraz - The Complete Series [DVD] [2012]to name just 3 and there are many others.

'Motive' goes the way of having a complete story in each episode;there is no hidden agenda that will be revealed as the 'possible' future seasons progress.And no cliff-hanger finale to Season 1.
Thus the tv executives will be able to axe this show should they choose to without complaints about the lack of resolution to a series as in the case of 'Alcatraz' for example.
I suspect ratings will dictate their decision which would be an injustice for this series as it gets better the more you watch it.

This series works very well because the stories are believable and each episode gives depth to each new set of victims/perpetrators.At the heart of the series are terrific performances by Kristin Lehman and Louis Ferreira,who have grasped their chance to show us what they have got in the tank.

It makes for compelling viewing and I for one hope for at least a 2nd season;look at 'Silent Witness' which is in its 16th series at least on the BBC.

Footnote:24 Hours,Season 9 is coming back and I'm spotting actors from the series out of interest.One who played the character Curtis Manning(CTU agent)appears in 'Motive'.

5.0 out of 5 stars G R E A T P RO G R A M M E ..., 2 May 2014
This review is from: Motive - Season 1 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)

I won't go over the cast and outline of this series as it has already been done so well by the previous reviewers.

Suffice to say that it is different, unusual with interesting storylines and good acting.

And ....... it's set in Vancouver, British Columbia - and so great to have a change of scenery away from
London and New York.

Recommended. Looking forward to Season 2 (I've read that it has been re commissioned and that the second series is being filmed now). Hopefully, it will be again aired on Universal.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 27 July 2014
This review is from: Motive - Season 1 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Not too bad, Didn't t realise it told you who did it before hand but its ok.

3.0 out of 5 stars No Motivation, 25 July 2014
This review is from: Motive - Season 1 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Rather disappointed knowing the victim and killer at the start.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great show but let down with lack of extras, 14 Jun 2014
This review is from: Motive - Season 1 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I came to Motive cold and it was only the fact that i adore Kristen Lehman that made me decide to give it a try. Which I'm glad I did!
It's a great and quirky show. Less of a whodunit and more of whydidtheydoit. Each episode tells you who the killer and victim are right off the bat. So it more about the journey to the killing rather then the destintion.
Basically the title says it all....it's about the motive behind the killing.
Kristen Lehman and Louis Ferreira have great chemistry. As does Cameron Bright, who plays Kristen's son. And Lauren Holly, does this lady get more lovely or what!
It's nice to see them embrace their Canadian locale and not just make it a unnamed city somewhere in North America (yes, I'm looking at you Lost Girl!).
I devoured three of the four discs in three days and will be watching disc four when I'm next off work.
Highly recommended if you like your crime drama with a different feel.
Just let down by the lack of extras.

4.0 out of 5 stars Different take on crime drama, 23 Jun 2014
This review is from: Motive - Season 1 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I didn't think I was going to enjoy this series as the first two stories were not on topics I am interested in, but it really improved by episode 3 and became more of an adult orientated series. I am very happy I stuck with it, well worth seeing!

3.0 out of 5 stars Well made, but not quite my thing., 30 Jun 2014
Malcolm (Edlesborough, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Motive - Season 1 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Motive Season 1 is a Canadian cop series with 13 episodes.
Not unlike the Columbo series of yesteryear, it reveals
the killer and the victim right at the beginning, with
the rest of the episode being filled with flashbacks
detailing how the killer met or knew his or her victim.

The general theme is What Drives a Killer? and then
the investigation team start looking for the motive.
For me personally, the story lines, each with a scene of
death SOCO team collecting evidence, the usual mortuary
scenes with the pretty lady Medical Examiner, and the rest
of the story all neatly worked out by the two lead
detectives is too much to cram into 40 minutes, making it
too rushed and too obvious.

This worked in the Columbo days, but being used to the
painstaking detective work in British made police dramas,
I felt that each episode was over too quickly.
The acting was good, even though I could not spot any actors
that I recognised, but I found it lacked that certain something
that would make me wish to view it again or even want to buy
Season Two.

Subtitled in English and other languages.
4 discs.
Released to DVD 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Motive: who needs one - just buy it!, 5 July 2014
This review is from: Motive - Season 1 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Very good in a genre given to reviewer hyperbole - interesting characters with real chemistry and good scripts / story lines. If you like Waking the dead; NYPD Blue; Silent Witness....this is the next one to sample.

Motive - Season 1 [DVD] [2013]
Motive - Season 1 [DVD] [2013] by Kristin Lehman (DVD - 2014)
14.21