5.0 out of 5 stars 3rd Superb Album in a Row!
Published 3 months ago by I. Wilson

3.0 out of 5 stars A grower
Classic Horrors, some unique sounds plus a few that are typically them. Need to give it more of a listen to get into it.
Published 1 month ago by Jen

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars 3rd Superb Album in a Row!, 9 May 2014
This review is from: Luminous (Audio CD)
When The Horrors hit the music scene with their first album 'Strange House' back in 2007 I immediately dismissed them. An appearance on The Mighty Boosh did little to convince me of their status other than being hipster posers without the tunes to back it up. Fast forward to 2009 I hear 'Sea Within A Sea' playing at a record store. I immediately go up to the owner asking who the hell is this, it sounded awesome. The chap tells me it's The Horrors. I couldn't believe the improvement and from that day on I haven't doubted them. I pre-ordered 'Skying' in 2011 and was amazed with the progress and yet again in 2014 they are hitting new heights as serious music makers. These guys genuinely do put a lot of effort into their albums and they work fantastically as one piece of art which many bands struggle with today. Whether they are grinding out tunes with distorted shoe gaze guitars or a-washing us with dream pop synths every tune hits the mark. Where from here? With more experimentation, edge and focus they'll have a legacy to be proud of.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another cracking album from The Horrors, 23 May 2014
This review is from: Luminous [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I was worried when this came out. Primary Colours and Skying had pretty much cemented The Horrors as my favourite current UK guitar band. When recent single So Now You Know hit the Radio 1 daytime playlist with it's repeating synths and subtle guitars I thought that this may be Horrors-lite pop, losing the dark, psychedelic edge in order to grasp mainstream success... Thankfully I was wrong. Although Luminous probably has more in common with Skying than with Primary Colours, this band have lost none of their edge - from the 7 minute pop wig-out of I See You to the bendy Jealous Sun, this is not a band going pop, more of a band who've honed their songwriting skills and sound resulting in an album which hasn't got a bad track on it. So yeah, I'm giving it 5-stars (and being bothered to actually write a review) but I still think that The Horrors are still working towards their magnum opus. In the meantime, this will do very very nicely thanks!

4.0 out of 5 stars We All Shine On, 10 May 2014
This review is from: Luminous (Audio CD)
The Horrors have really carved themselves out great career for themselves with a succession of strong & fascinating records, which continues with their slightly out of focus Indie rock offering "Luminous".
Cranking up the complexity, but with enough diversity to stop the record falling into the trap of becoming just another Drone-rock album.
Perhaps not the bands masterpiece, but not far from it, besides if you make the perfect record it's usually down hill from there on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply a Fantastic Album, 6 May 2014
This review is from: Luminous (Audio CD)
Building and continuing to improve Album to Album these guys entertain from the get go.
I found the 1st 2 albums to shrill and dark in places for my liking but there are some beautiful tracks tucked away there but
'Primary Colours' was a great album, if a little sombre, 'Skying' was an excellent album I found myself putting on repeat regularily and was an easier listen, this album has the 2 blended perfectly.
Obvious highlights and certain hits 'I see you' and 'So you know' are great tracks, but the whole album buzzes along with a certain Indie rock/80's /60's blend!
It just works.... I look forward to seeing their careers continue to bloom.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real gem that gets better with each play, 27 July 2014
This review is from: Luminous (Audio CD)
I spotted the Horrors a while a go when they were on Jools Holland and was impressed. After they appeared again and featured some tracks off this album I thought I would take the plunge and buy it. While the influences may sometimes be obvious the sum is always much greater than the parts. I am the wrong side of 60 and I think I even heard some Syd Barratt's Pink Ffloyd and The Doors in there somewhere. A really enjoyable record which gets better with each play.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality album, 11 May 2014
Paul Blaney "blazctid" (Herts UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Luminous (MP3 Download)
The Horrors have done it again. You're never quite sure what direction they will take next but this is a great progression, bringing dreampop (shoegaze to us Brits) into the 21st century.
Definite nods to MBV, Chapterhouse, Slowdive but sounds so now with the top quality production.
Great listen start to finish

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright and Vibrant follow up to Skying, 8 May 2014
This review is from: Luminous (Audio CD)
The Horrors, in my view one of Britains best young bands, return with Luminous. After the brilliance of their previous album, the Shoegaze summer-like Skying, the expectation was high on my behalf. I'm happy to say that after giving the album a few run-throughs im very impressed. The hectic, psychedelic guitars of previous albums have be toned down and instead we have a lot of colourful synths and dance inspired drum patterns. This may worry some, but its actually a nice change to a more subdued and Synthpop sound.

Opener 'Chasing Shadows' has a wonderful 3 minute build before Faris Badwan's deep echoing vocals appear, and it must be said that he sounds excellent here as he appears to on every album.'In and Out of Sight' is completely different to anything the band has every done but just as good, sounding like a car crash of The Chameleons, Ultravox and French House music. 'Jealous Sun' wears its My Bloody Valentine influence proudly, whilst 'Falling Star' is the most straight-forward rocker on here and rocks just as it promises.

'First Day Of Spring' is a superb song with the catchiest tune on the album and has a great climax, the noisier 'Mind and Yours' follows a similar pattern. Both of the early releases are brilliant, 'So Now You Know' has a wonderful synth tune and a really infectious warping chorus, whilst 'I See You' is 7 minutes of building Psychedelic Dance with more catchy rhythms and another excellent climax. The slower 'Change Your Mind' is a nice change of pace, whilst the Industrial Dance closer 'Sleepwalk' is an effective way to close proceedings

So The Horrors continue to churn out exciting releases, with their third excellent album on the bounce. They have a massive amount of potential and its interesting to see where they go next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality!, 28 Jun 2014
Mr. A. J. Dunning "Perton Pitman" (Wolverhampton United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Luminous (Audio CD)
A welcome antidote to the dross that is to be found at every turn on popular radio or tv music channels. The highlights for me are the first four tracks and I See You which is a gem in its own right. The Horrors appear to lack mainstream popularity which is a shame as it means that many people are missing out. Looking forward to seeing the band live at the end of September.

5.0 out of 5 stars luminous by the horrors, 26 Jun 2014
This review is from: Luminous (Audio CD)
Album was disappointing but delivery etc good, will keep listening though, will try it in the car and see how it goes

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable, 16 Jun 2014
This review is from: Luminous (Audio CD)
I've listened to this once...just once...and already found 4 or 5 great tracks. My favourite band of the last ten years, by a country mile

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Luminous [VINYL]
Luminous [VINYL] by The Horrors (Vinyl - 2014)