on 12 June 2014
It's got a good plot. It's got good characters. It's got good writing. And it's funny. And a bit thrilling. And like most of the other reviewers I would like it to be a series.
So T.J.Brown, if you're reading this can you please stop wasting time and get back to the writing. I thank you.
on 18 April 2016
Read this while away for a few days, lovely quirky tale, with some unusual elements, nice writing style to go with it.
I would definitely enjoy other works by this author... and I want to hear about Newton's next adventures, with Gabby and Viv... please
on 7 August 2014
Really enjoyed this book and looking forward to reading the next. Great characters, good plot, kept me gripped (mostly) especially toward the end. The Spanish Inquisition section went on a bit too long for me so I skimmed some of it. I was much more interested in the main characters - each to their own I guess. Overall it was a great read.
on 27 July 2014
I was obliged to download this superb book on the beach in Croatia recently, despite having more than fifty unread novels on my Kindle already. (I know, I know, but I have an irrational fear of being without something to read, I hoard real books and digital ones.) I felt compelled to download this particular book after spending the first day and a half of my holiday listening to my wife shrieking with laughter and watching the tears roll down her face as she writhed about on the sunbed next to me. I simply had to read it myself, to find out if it really was that good, or if my dearly beloved was simply indulging too heavily in the 'cocktail of the day'.
Download it I did, and her one word review, (GENIUS!') to me turned out to be not in the least over stated. I won't bother with a synopsis, you can read that in the book description, I will simply tell you what I thought of it.
It is the funniest book I have ever read, the characters are all believable (even the dead ones), likeable (even the evil ones), and three dimensional.
The story takes place in various locations, from sleepy Dorset, to the big city, rural Spain, and even Purgatory, Great writing is capable of transporting the reader to anywhere, by this standard, this is indeed great writing.
If you enjoy a tremendous, imaginative, story, told with passion and affection, and if you like laughing until your face aches, your stomach hurts, and your face is wet with tears, and if you don't mind nearby people staring at you with amazement and amusement, then you must buy this book. You will not regret it.
If you read this book and don't pull a muscle somewhere in your face, then you would probably qualify for a job as a lower level administrative assistant somewhere in the bowels of purgatory.
on 4 June 2014
Loved TIm's flowing style, well written with intelligent wit and humour ..kept the reader wanting to read more,intrigued to discover more of the sometimes outlandish content but somehow very plausible!!!
Well done to the author, look forward to the next thrilling book.
on 14 July 2016
Like a lot of reviewers I found the first chapters hard going and there was no no clue to what was to unfold. The characters kept me reading on, thankfully as the story turned out to be very interesting, the characters cool and funny resulting in a very enjoyable read that I couldn't put down.
on 14 June 2014
Took me a while to get into the book as at the start nothing seems to go together but stick with it. I really enjoyed reading this book. Very silly and nothing like my normal genre but worth a read if you want something a little different.
on 28 May 2014
Well, I wasn't expecting that; what a brilliant, funny and daft book, I couldn't put it down! The characters are excellent and the storyline is ridiculous and hilarious which is why I love it. I urge everyone to read this book and I can guarantee you'll love it too. I actually feel bereft now I've finished it, hurry up with the next one Tim!
on 21 July 2016
I really enjoyed this book, the author speaks sarcasm fluently and this coupled with a belter of a story, what more could you ask for. There's the odd spelling mistake and error in it but i overlooked these because I was enjoying the book too much. Made me lol would definitely recommend
on 27 May 2014
This a great read; entertaining, fun, creative, different. It’s a bit like taking a ride in car which drives itself – you never quite know where it’s going to take you. But no matter what mood you’re in, it satisfies.

I’ve never read any Harry Potter, but I would imagine it’s probably like Harry Potter for adults. In places Brown has an eye for an older, gentler England, but one which is under threat from some thoroughly nasty individuals and the narrative twists and turns like a runaway Citroën DS and within it he introduces some delightful and not so delightful characters. The plot is imaginitive, never dull and will appeal to many different generations. It’s worth the descriptions of ‘The Bonetaker’ alone.

There’s a real talent here for the future and the door is wide open for a great sequel or second book. Bring it on.