4.0 out of 5 stars A really enjoyable movie for an Austen Regency fan

1.0 out of 5 stars OMG
Published 7 months ago by Hepzibah Twist

1.0 out of 5 stars OMG, 9 April 2014
This review is from: Austenland [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I have always been a fan of making a classic into something contempary and yet keeping the essence of the original. Take Lost in Austen. A fantastic ITV drama which relayed the telling of Pride and Prejudice in a new and humourous way. This film just failed on every level. Despite starring the likes of Kerri Russell and JJ Field among others this film was neither funny or compelling. It lacked any real story or plot. The funny moments were non existent and the film appeared to be made on the cheap. The fact that the film was about a woman so obsessed with Austen that she wanted to visit Austenland and live the life she had dreamed of for so long, she very quickly became disinterested and bored along with the audience. Definitely not one I would recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been better, 6 Feb 2014
This review is from: Austenland [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I liked this film, I really did. It was an enjoyable watch and a pretty fair adaptation of the book.

But, and it's a big but. I might have given it five stars if it wasn't for one pretty major flaw. The lead actress. I'm really sorry to say this but there was just no animation in her and it left me wondering why anyone would be attracted to her character at all.
Maybe Kerri Russell is a bigger name in America and the idea was to get someone who might pull in the viewers but she just does not work in the character. To be honest, her character just made me feel little flat and it made me feel a little angry that the producers put someone in the role who seemed to act like she really didn't want to be in the film.

It might not be a classic, but anyone enjoying regency drama might like this as a change.

4.0 out of 5 stars A really enjoyable movie for an Austen Regency fan, 18 Feb 2014
Fiona "Fes" (Ealing, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Austenland [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I'm not keen on Austen 'takes', but found the idea of an Austen theme holiday fun. I enjoyed the movie tremendously. It's romance without been soppy. It's funny, especially if your into your Regency period romances (husband slept through it... tho this is no indication as he does this with most moves.. haha... so not for everyone) - but I wouldn't call it side splitting. I liked all the characters, tho I took a while to warm to the lead actress, I did warm to her. I will definitely watch it again - for JJ Field if nothing else ;) .

5.0 out of 5 stars Quirky, Weird Wonderfulness, 25 Feb 2014
This review is from: Austenland [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I honestly didn't know what to expect from this film, to start, I was quite perplexed, its such a random film to the point it feels totally improvised (which, from what I gather, some bits are - check out the expressions of the people in the airport scenes - they're not extras!!).

But actually, its hilarious in its bizarre, slightly camp, random strangeness. Its hilarious in a "I can't believe they've just said that" kind of way (Jennifer Coolidge - for reference)!

JJ Feild, having previous experience of playing one of Austen's leading men (Northanger Abbey) is a perfect Darcy-type character (I am bias, as Mr Tilney [Northanger] is one of my favorites) bringing that Austenness to the film which works wonderfully opposite Keri Russell's Jane (The Waitress).

Its just a weird, quirky wonderful film, with a brilliant (cheesy 80's power ballads) soundtrack.
Its fast become one of my favorite rom-coms, that's perfect, chilled with a glass of wine.

I actually wish Austenland was real!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Romance, Love, Drama all in a Jane Austen theme park, and its brilliantly funny., 6 Mar 2014
Tommy Dooley "Tom" (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Austenland [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Based on the book by Shannon Hale this is a BBC Films adaptation and it is a little corker. We meet Jane Hayes played wonderfully by Keri Russell (`August Rush' and `Mission Impossible III'). She is completely obsessed with Jane Austen and all her works; she even sports a `I Love D'arcy' bag - he is fictional don't ya know. And has a cardboard cut-out of Colin Firth in her flat - dressed as D'arcy.

Well she decides to blow her life savings on a `life changing' trip to theme park extraordinaire, `Austenland'. As the name would indicate this is a total immersion event where you get to live the life of one of Austen's characters for a whole week. This means a trip to England (actually filmed down the road from me in West Wycombe Park). On arrival she discovers that her accompanying guest is fellow American Miss Elizabeth Charming (an Austenland given name) played with over the top brilliance by the excessively talented Jennifer Collidge - `Gentleman Broncos' where she is superb too. She is brash, loud and wants to dress in the costumes so she can have a cleavage to die for - and she steals every scene.

Anyway the week will have its ups and downs - social faux pas and consorting with `the help' from `below stairs' no less. There is also a real live Mr D'arcy and the Mistress of ceremonies is played with measured stuffiness and snobbery by Jane Seymour. Of course all the extras are actors and the lines between reality and fiction are sometimes too blurred to tell apart. As this is based on Jane Austen there is always going to be romance, trouble, heartache and in this case some real gut, laugh humour.

Yes this is a rom com but I absolutely loved it. The soundtrack is Emmy the Great and a great cover of Yazoo's `Only You' is waiting in here to be discovered too. I had better stop before I out `gush' myself. Just can't recommend strongly enough and even the run offs are great - pure quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Film, 11 Mar 2014
This review is from: Austenland [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
It is gentle, funny and has such lovable characters in. It revolves around the Jane Austen novels - as the title suggests - so if you love those then you will either love it or if you would rather something that stayed true to the written novels then you will hate it as it does adapt them for a modern setting.

It is a right snuggle up film. It has a slightly slow start but it is well worth watching on as it becomes very gripping and funny. I thoroughly loved it and have watched it loads, it is a wonderful sloppy romantic film. I do recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just Awful!!, 21 July 2014
This review is from: Austenland [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I've only just watched this movie and hand on heart I have to say it is the worst film I've ever seen. The acting was awful, I couldn't see any funny parts that other people spoke of. The main heroine was just totally wrong for the part and it was like a B-movie that nobody really wanted to make. I never pan things just for the sake of it but I just can't find one good thing to say about it. I had to watch it as I'm a huge Jane Austen fan. Somehow, I don't think the great author would be very impressed if she saw this load of nonsense.

4.0 out of 5 stars IT'S GETTING HOT IN HERE, 22 Mar 2014
The Movie Guy "Movies from A to Z" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Austenland [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Jane (Keri Russell) is a Jane Austen junkie. She opts to spend her life savings to travel to England and go to Austenland where she will be immersed into the period with actors who guarantee love...or at least the false feeling of falling in love with an actor. She has the basic package and gets to be a servant girl orphan. Also on the trip is Miss Elizabeth Charming (Jennifer Coolidge) who has the deluxe package and plays an heiress. She knows nothing about Jane Austin and only crudely wants to meet a man.

Once there Jane falls for the stable help ( Bret McKenzie) while also being courted by Mr. Nobely (JJ Feild).

The film is formulaic chick flick down to the music montage to try on clothes. It is mildly Austen-like but never truly capturing the genius of Jane Austen. It is a film that can be enjoyed without being familiar with the works of Jane Austin (Just in case I took a Wiki crash course before viewing.)

A fun film.

5.0 out of 5 stars great fun, 5 Mar 2014
Sylvie Spicq (France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Austenland [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I love this film and watched it several times already, alone, with my daughters, with my husband etc...I recommand it to all Austen's fans and would recommand it to my friends but there is a little problem as far as my friends are concerned: I'm French, living in France, and I couldn't find this dvd on Amazon.fr so I can only share it with English speaking friends!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, funny film, 9 Mar 2014
This review is from: Austenland [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
My daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed the book and couldn't wait to see the film. We were not disappointed the story has been improved, the characters have been given more depth, Jennifer Coolidge is so very very funny and Keri Russell is the perfect heroine. If you enjoyed 'Lost in Austen' you will love this.

Austenland