5.0 out of 5 stars Quirky, Weird Wonderfulness
I honestly didn't know what to expect from this film, to start, I was quite perplexed, its such a random film to the point it feels totally improvised (which, from what I gather, some bits are - check out the expressions of the people in the airport scenes - they're not extras!!).

Published 17 months ago by batmandi

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been better
I liked this film, I really did. It was an enjoyable watch and a pretty fair adaptation of the book.

Published 17 months ago by JG78

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been better, 6 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Austenland [DVD] [2013] (DVD)

But, and it's a big but. I might have given it five stars if it wasn't for one pretty major flaw. The lead actress. I'm really sorry to say this but there was just no animation in her and it left me wondering why anyone would be attracted to her character at all.
Maybe Kerri Russell is a bigger name in America and the idea was to get someone who might pull in the viewers but she just does not work in the character. To be honest, her character just made me feel little flat and it made me feel a little angry that the producers put someone in the role who seemed to act like she really didn't want to be in the film.

It might not be a classic, but anyone enjoying regency drama might like this as a change.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quirky, Weird Wonderfulness, 25 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Austenland [DVD] [2013] (DVD)

But actually, its hilarious in its bizarre, slightly camp, random strangeness. Its hilarious in a "I can't believe they've just said that" kind of way (Jennifer Coolidge - for reference)!

JJ Feild, having previous experience of playing one of Austen's leading men (Northanger Abbey) is a perfect Darcy-type character (I am bias, as Mr Tilney [Northanger] is one of my favorites) bringing that Austenness to the film which works wonderfully opposite Keri Russell's Jane (The Waitress).

Its just a weird, quirky wonderful film, with a brilliant (cheesy 80's power ballads) soundtrack.
Its fast become one of my favorite rom-coms, that's perfect, chilled with a glass of wine.

I actually wish Austenland was real!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A really enjoyable movie for an Austen Regency fan, 18 Feb. 2014
Fes "Fes" (Ealing, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Austenland [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I'm not keen on Austen 'takes', but found the idea of an Austen theme holiday fun. I enjoyed the movie tremendously. It's romance without been soppy. It's funny, especially if your into your Regency period romances (husband slept through it... tho this is no indication as he does this with most moves.. haha... so not for everyone) - but I wouldn't call it side splitting. I liked all the characters, tho I took a while to warm to the lead actress, I did warm to her. I will definitely watch it again - for JJ Field if nothing else ;) .

5.0 out of 5 stars Romance, Love, Drama all in a Jane Austen theme park, and its brilliantly funny., 6 Mar. 2014
Tommy Dooley "Tom" (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Austenland [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Based on the book by Shannon Hale this is a BBC Films adaptation and it is a little corker. We meet Jane Hayes played wonderfully by Keri Russell (`August Rush' and `Mission Impossible III'). She is completely obsessed with Jane Austen and all her works; she even sports a `I Love D'arcy' bag - he is fictional don't ya know. And has a cardboard cut-out of Colin Firth in her flat - dressed as D'arcy.

Well she decides to blow her life savings on a `life changing' trip to theme park extraordinaire, `Austenland'. As the name would indicate this is a total immersion event where you get to live the life of one of Austen's characters for a whole week. This means a trip to England (actually filmed down the road from me in West Wycombe Park). On arrival she discovers that her accompanying guest is fellow American Miss Elizabeth Charming (an Austenland given name) played with over the top brilliance by the excessively talented Jennifer Collidge - `Gentleman Broncos' where she is superb too. She is brash, loud and wants to dress in the costumes so she can have a cleavage to die for - and she steals every scene.

Anyway the week will have its ups and downs - social faux pas and consorting with `the help' from `below stairs' no less. There is also a real live Mr D'arcy and the Mistress of ceremonies is played with measured stuffiness and snobbery by Jane Seymour. Of course all the extras are actors and the lines between reality and fiction are sometimes too blurred to tell apart. As this is based on Jane Austen there is always going to be romance, trouble, heartache and in this case some real gut, laugh humour.

Yes this is a rom com but I absolutely loved it. The soundtrack is Emmy the Great and a great cover of Yazoo's `Only You' is waiting in here to be discovered too. I had better stop before I out `gush' myself. Just can't recommend strongly enough and even the run offs are great - pure quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars A little bit awful and a little bit brilliant., 17 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Austenland [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Well, this is a very odd review to write because I really wasn't sure what to make of this film, I started off hating it, but persevered because of the reviews, and ended up kinda liking it but still feeling a bit bemused as to whether it is brilliant or awful. (I think the former, although I'd have to watch it again to be certain)

Took me about half of the film to get used to its quirky nature; at first I thought it was badly scripted and badly acted; but then came the slow realisation that (I think, anyway!) that is is meant to come across like that, and that is what makes it so clever.

In hindsight I'm not sure what I was expecting. I love Jane Austen, and loved the idea of an Austen themed park, but I guess the only way such a concept would work is if it is treated like it is in this film.

The fact I came to like the characters, rooted for the 'heroine' and was in a quandry as to which of the two suitors, if any, would be better for her, echoes the plot in many an Austen novel, as does the presence of an amusing but churlish friend.

All in all, I'm pretty sure this is a grower and may even turn out to be one of my favourite films. I quite enjoyed the journey it took me on, but there were times when I wanted to get off at the next stop. But all was worth it at the final destination.

So thankyou, all fellow Amazon reviewers; as without your great reviews I'd have given up on this and missed a gem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, funny film, 9 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Austenland [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
My daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed the book and couldn't wait to see the film. We were not disappointed the story has been improved, the characters have been given more depth, Jennifer Coolidge is so very very funny and Keri Russell is the perfect heroine. If you enjoyed 'Lost in Austen' you will love this.

4.0 out of 5 stars IT'S GETTING HOT IN HERE, 22 Mar. 2014
The Movie Guy "Movies from A to Z" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Austenland [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Jane (Keri Russell) is a Jane Austen junkie. She opts to spend her life savings to travel to England and go to Austenland where she will be immersed into the period with actors who guarantee love...or at least the false feeling of falling in love with an actor. She has the basic package and gets to be a servant girl orphan. Also on the trip is Miss Elizabeth Charming (Jennifer Coolidge) who has the deluxe package and plays an heiress. She knows nothing about Jane Austin and only crudely wants to meet a man.

Once there Jane falls for the stable help ( Bret McKenzie) while also being courted by Mr. Nobely (JJ Feild).

The film is formulaic chick flick down to the music montage to try on clothes. It is mildly Austen-like but never truly capturing the genius of Jane Austen. It is a film that can be enjoyed without being familiar with the works of Jane Austin (Just in case I took a Wiki crash course before viewing.)

A fun film.

5.0 out of 5 stars great fun, 5 Mar. 2014
Sylvie Spicq (France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Austenland [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I love this film and watched it several times already, alone, with my daughters, with my husband etc...I recommand it to all Austen's fans and would recommand it to my friends but there is a little problem as far as my friends are concerned: I'm French, living in France, and I couldn't find this dvd on Amazon.fr so I can only share it with English speaking friends!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it! Really good film to watch if you want cheering up or if you simply love Austen. Or fancy a bit of J J Field ;), 14 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Austenland (Amazon Instant Video)
If you like Jane Austen are any period dramas this is great. Don't think its true to the Georgian era as it is meant to be funny, so just enjoy it for what it is...a very good/funny Romantic Comedy with good looking men in fitting costumes woo!

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining rom-com, 4 May 2015
This review is from: Austenland [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Having read the book, I had an idea what to expect. This is a quirky, light-hearted, funny and entertaining rom-com with a difference set during a Regency-themed break away. It has a cheesy 80s power ballad soundtrack, which is quite funny, and it turns out the only tune our heroine can play is Nelly's 'It's Getting Hot in Here'. It doesn't take itself too seriously and is an enjoyable to way to switch off and spend 90 minutes - even more so if you can appreciate the touches of Colin Firth/Austen thrown in.

Austenland