5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable read.
Had my doubts about reading a prequel, from previous experience iv usually felt a little let down, as if the author is stretching out an already good book.
Published 11 months ago by Neville Driver

3.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed this prequel more than I am enjoying The View ...
I enjoyed this prequel more than I am enjoying The View From Kleoboulous which I am reading at present (and I hope it will pick up, I am nearly halfway through it).
Published 5 months ago by Anna W

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable read., 21 Mar. 2014
This review is from: A Brief Moment of Sunshine: The prequel to "The View From Kleoboulos" (Kindle Edition)
I am so glad I didnt listen to myself because I would have missed out on an excellent story that had me gripped from the start, had me reading at 3am then reading as slowly as i could because I didnt want it to end! I still cant believe this book wasnt planned before View fom Kleobuoulos. Every character you feel you know their anxiety and joy at the twists and turns that keep you hooked upto the last page.
This was a joy to read - thank you

5.0 out of 5 stars An intriguing tale, right to the end., 14 Mar. 2014
josephine (wigan, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The only crime novelists I read are John Grisham and Jeffrey Archer. With those writers the story is about the circumstances leading to the criminal act and the consequences to the lives of the people involved, not a catalogue of violence.
So the opening to ‘A brief moment of sunshine’ may have initially put me off this excellent story that starts with a man being thrown to his death from Clifton suspension bridge. I am pleased it did not as what follows is an intriguing tale of shattered dreams, moments of hope, then finally an unexpected but very plausible conclusion with the eventual ‘feel good’ factor.
This is John Manuel’s second novel and in my opinion it moves his writing into the league of the well known names mentioned above.

3.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed this prequel more than I am enjoying The View ..., 27 Sept. 2014
I would have preferred this book if it had not been written in the present tense, a style of writing which I do not particularly like, but that is personal preference. Because I wanted to know more about Claire and her story I am reading 'The View' but am unsure whether or not I like it, finding it jumps around and the character of Claire seems different to the person I had envisaged from this book.
At first I thought that A Brief Moment of Sunshine had been written by someone who had prepared long and detailed reports (such as police reports or expert witness reports for court) as some of the detail was too involved and quite frankly somewhat tedious. Then I realised that he is a travel writer (perhaps I should try one of his travel books).
And I do object to 'product placing' in a novel - quite a bit of it, naming particular brands of coffee, biscuits etc. Presumably these people are sponsors of the author.

As everyone else has given it excellent reviews it could be just me who is unsure. However, as I paid very little for it, I am not grumbling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 13 May 2014
I really enjoyed this book. I did read this before The View from Kleoboulos so that it was all in the right order. The storyline is well constructed and the characters very believable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable read, 20 April 2014
A very enjoyable read and I look forward to the next book. The storyline was well executed and the characters, I now know well !! I think it is a better written book than the others with maybe a better copywriter, less spelling errors !!!!
I am more than happy to recommend this to others.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good!, 26 April 2014
Enjoyed this book, and as I'm a regular visitor to Rhodes, loved that aspect of it! I've read all of John Manuel's books, and dip into his blog occasionally.....he may not know it, but the fact that he as lived in Wales is quite evident in his writing style!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 16 Nov. 2014
Having visited both Poros and Rhodes (several times) I could relate to the places and visualise the areas mentioned. Lovely story. Really enjoyed the book, just wanted to keep reading. Would definitely read further books by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this second novel from John Manuel and will be ..., 23 July 2014
I loved this second novel from John Manuel and will be passing it round all my friends and family who have been enjoying 'The View from Kleoboulos' , his first novel. Please, please can we have more of your specialist subject, the island of Rhodes, in the next one?
Altogether a very good read and highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't put down, 6 July 2014
I found this book a very good read, once reading, I didn't want to put it down, the story followed on nicely from The View from Kleoboulos but you didn't have to read that first to understand the story line.

4.0 out of 5 stars good read, 12 Oct. 2014
Good read. interesting storyline with good glimpses of bristol and greek islands in the early 90's.
a death is mourned, then some justice is dealt.