5.0 out of 5 stars One spectacular album
As a fan of Imelda May I have to say this is her best album to date. This album is so fantastic I cant tell you which song is
my favourite song because their was not one song on this album that I didn't like. I'm amazed that someone of her talent
Published 10 months ago by Nick Finn

2.0 out of 5 stars Sound Reproduction 0 Songs 5 - Sort it out Decca !!!
Like a previous review - what on earth happened with the Sound Engineering with this release ??

Published 8 months ago by Ronseal - Not HP !

5.0 out of 5 stars One spectacular album, 3 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Tribal (Audio CD)
doesn't get enough recognition for her work as well as her talent in the mainstream, this is an album I would recommend to everyone who hasn't heard of Imelda May.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Album, 11 May 2014
M. Dowden (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Tribal (MP3 Download)
It was some years ago that I first came across Imelda May when she appeared with Jools Holland, and blew me away. Sexy, sassy and with a voice that can do a serious torch song and then something much more risqué, Imelda has a distinctive voice that immediately captures you.

This I think is now her fourth album and it doesn’t disappoint, keeping to the formula that has made her so popular and enjoyable to listen to. Imelda May’s take on Rockabilly is tough, it is rocking, and immediately you know who it is, although that is not to say every track on here is Rockabilly, as for instance something like Wicked Way is definitely raunchy Burlesque. Like all her albums so far this is another well worth adding to your collection, with twelve great tracks that you will want to play again and again. Walk the streets with confidence with this playing in your ears, because no one will mess with you.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as ever!, 27 Jun. 2014
Andy Sweeney "music was my first love" (Brighton, East Sussex) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Tribal (Audio CD)
Ah, Imelda May, the immensely talented, charismatic Irish queen of rockabilly. I could save myself some time right now by saying that if you have enjoy her previous music, you will absolutely love “Tribal”. However, as not everybody will have heard her older material and the fact that this album deserves a proper write-up, I won't be that succinct. Back after a four year break between studio albums and after having her and her husband/guitarist Darrel's first child, Violet, it's like there hasn't even been breath drawn between this and previous breakthrough album, “Mayhem”, as right from the moment you press play, it is an energy packed, impeccably-performed attack on the senses. Throughout the album, the husband and wife team battle for who can wow the listener the most with Darrel's scintillating, red-hot guitar work getting the adrenaline pumping and Imelda's peerless vocal talents given a chance to shine on a number of different flavoured songs. Of course, although it is Imelda's name on the cover, it is the combination of the two, together with their tight, talented, energetic band that makes it such a magnificently enjoyable album. The catchy “Tribal”, with it's instantly singable chorus, is a flawless introduction to the record, the anthem in the making, “Wild Woman”, keeps the tempo high and boasts a ridiculously accomplished Darrel Higham guitar solo and “It's Good To Be Alive” is an immensely likeable, feel-good piece. The soulful “Gypsy In Me” gives Imelda the chance to demonstrate just how good she is at those sultry, slow-burning, bluesy ballads, whereas the adorable “Little Pixie” is all about those dreamy, romantic, laid-back rock 'n' roll moments from the fifties and surely must have been written about her new daughter.

We're back to raucous, ballsy rockabilly with “Hellfire Club” but “Five Good Men” takes it up a notch further, boasting frenetic soloing from songwriter Higham on what proves to be one of the highlights on a very good album indeed. The mid-tempo, rhythm-heavy “Ghost Of Love” is a decent enough track, torch song “Wicked Way” is all growling guitars and sleazy muted trumpets and “Round The Bend” is a straightforward rock song about an annoying partner with an almost annoyingly catchy chorus. “I Wanna Dance” is one of the more predictable, lesser tracks on the album, but the blazing “Right Amount Of Wrong” finishes “Tribal” with gutsy style. There's no two ways about it, either this is your thing or it just isn't. If you enjoy fifties music, are a fan of Brian Setzer, his Stray Cats or other similar energetic rockabilly artists well, you're probably already a fan of Imelda May and there's not more I can tell you that you don't already know, apart from the fact that, if you haven't heard it yet, her new album is just as good as her last couple. However, for anyone who has yet to discover Imelda, Darrel and the band, “Tribal” is as good a place to start as any because, if you enjoy this, you'll end up buying everything else anyway and, believe it or not, they are even better live than they are in the studio, especially the power and range of May's voice which is absolutely astonishing. If you are a fan and have yet to catch a live show, that's your next step. You really won't regret it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sound Reproduction 0 Songs 5 - Sort it out Decca !!!, 13 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Tribal (Audio CD)

Great Rockabilly songs by Imelda and band BUT the sound reproduced by the CD is so poor it ruins the overall listening experience - there is virtually no bass sound (played by Al Gare), especially on track 10 Round the Bend - WTF ? Is this a recording experiment that has gone very Pete Tong ? I first thought its another recording trying to replicate a vinyl sound with hiss and pop - but no bass - c'mon.

Hopefully Decca will re-release this in the future with bonus CD/DVD with live tracks/concert, so giving a chance to vastly improve the overall sound of the album, giving a much better experience to the listener.

Imelda and the great band have been let down by the sound of this release, a real shame as the songs are very, very good. Would give this album 5 stars for the songs but the sound is barely worth a star.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving it!, 1 May 2014
CycleRacing (England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Tribal (Audio CD)
I only recently discovered Imelda May, so perhaps I'm not the most qualified to write a review. But I absolutely love this CD!

The songs on here are so full of life and energy. It feels like it is a really unique recording, not one of those releases that could be anyone. Her style is very distinctive and unique, and she has really made the music her own.

My favourite song on this album is Gypsy in Me.... But to be honest, I didn't dislike any of the songs.

Recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great songs, 2 May 2014
This review is from: Tribal (Audio CD)
I love Imelda May, they way she sings the words of her songs. I have all of her DVD/s. This one is not as lively as her others, but still very good. First seen her on Good morning Breakfast a couple of years ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding as ever!, 6 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Tribal (Audio CD)
There are not many times that I would consider buying a CD, without having heard any tracks from it first, but I have with Imelda Mays last two CD's. There are a mix of tracks from uplifting and happy to emotive and tender. This CD is great in the background or loud and in your face as you are strutting your stuff around the house when no one is looking! I have a reputation of being a Mum that had no taste in music as far as my 15 year is concerned, but even he loves Imelda's style and this CD is no exception. Tribal is a fantastic opening track and sets the mood for a ear pleasing sound sensation, right through to the very last track, Right Amount of Wrong. I instantly fell in love with Little Pixie, but there isn't one track that I don't like. They are all very unique and it never ceases to amaze me how such a sound can cone from such a petite lady! I can't wait for the next one!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 9 May 2014
This review is from: Tribal (MP3 Download)
Great to hear from Imelda May with such a strong album. I will be playing this a lot over the next few weeks

5.0 out of 5 stars It Just Great, 8 May 2014
This review is from: Tribal (Audio CD)
As always her songs are great and different. She has a wonderful and unique voice and her music is distinct - it is just great.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE QUEEN OF ROCKABILLY IS BACK AND BETTER THAN EVER, 28 April 2014
E. Kelly "keypad" (Didcot,UK) - See all my reviews
Firstly, may I suggest that you get the Deluxe edition. It may be more expensive but is really worth it for the several, brilliant, extra tracks.You may regret it if you don't have them. Imelda has made a brilliant album here and I'd say that it is her best yet. I think that her excursions with people like Mike Sanchez and Jeff Beck have sharpened her skills. From the title track on it is pretty much all uptempo. I love 'Wild Woman' which will be very wild at her live gigs.' Little Pixie ' is a ballad that is a little slower and reminds me of the vocals of Helen Shapiro for some reason. It all picks up again and she keeps on rockin'. ' I wanna Dance' is great followed by the brilliant 'Right Or Wrong'.'Zombie Girl' is something that wouldn't be amiss on an old 'Cramps' album. I am not too sure about 'Amber Eyes' but I am sure it will grow on me. The final track is a cover ( believe it or not) of the song that Blondie made famous, 'Dreaming', only this version is done to a ukelele accompaniment and it's fun. I know that Wanda Jackson was always marketed as 'The Queen of rockabilly' and I also realise that Imelda just doesn't stick purely to rockabilly, but when she does it she is the Queen without doubt. This album is a good but I do have one criticism about the band. I feel that Imelda is carrying them on occasions & stopping them, thankfully, from veering off into sounding a lot like an Adam & The Ants tribute act. They must step up and be a little more dynamic and not leave it all to Imelda.

Eamonn

Tribal
Tribal by Imelda May (Audio CD - 2014)