4.0 out of 5 stars A good affordable super zoom compact
This is the lower priced superzoom model Canon are offering (SX700 HS being the model above it)
I took one for a spin for a few days and will convey my thoughts overall, this was bought as a gift for my niece after I tried another model and wasn't happy with it. Overall pretty pleased, it's one of the better superzooms in this price range.

On paper it's a...
Published 8 months ago by Mr Baz

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I've been looking for a compact digital camera from a well known maker for a while, basically to take better photos of my kid while out and about as I wanted better quality photos and faster response than what my phone could provide, and have some control over the shooting settings. Having the ability to share the photos via Wi-Fi was also a requirement.

I came...
Published 20 days ago by Mr. E. Cesar

4.0 out of 5 stars A good affordable super zoom compact, 15 May 2014
Mr Baz - See all my reviews
(#1 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)

On paper it's a normal point and shoot, but the SX600 HS has a superzoom range of 18x, not as big as some rivals, but still quite a useful focal range for a day camera or travel camera.

A quick list of good and bad points

Pros:
+ Useful 18x zoom giving an equivalent of 25mm - 450mm in 35mm terms, nice wide angle and decent tele end
+ Well priced in the superzoom compact sector
+ 3" LCD is 460k quite sharp and good enough to use in most lighting conditions
+ Good consistent autofocus performance with mostly reliable metering and auto white balance
+ Simple and easy to operate with logical menus
+ Photo quality quite reasonable at this price point (for normal print sizes)
+ Built in NFC and wifi
+ Has a real battery and charger so you are not stuck with in camera charging
+ Quite a few effects and colour filters to experiment with: Fisheye, Toy Camera, Sepia, Miniature
+ Fairly good macro performance: 5cm
+ Has a max of 15 seconds exposure (useful for night shots)
+ Video is quite good, 1920 x 1080 Full HD 30fps, stereo sound... clips show good detail and the AF keeps up well with the zoom. There is no audible motor noise when zooming (least I couldn't hear any) Video does get a bit "grainy in lower light/indoors"

Cons:
- No manual controls (maybe not a problem at this price point but worth a mention)
- Images quite soft at higher ISO levels, I'd stick to below ISO 800 if possible ok for smaller prints though
- Lens performance is a bit softer tele end (less contrast) could be sharper in the corners at full wide angle (it's not bad though), some purple fringing at the wide end too.
- Can be prone to clipping highlights
- No panoramic mode (most cameras have this now)

Battery life I got about 280-320 shots per charge, as per usual it's worth getting a spare.
You do get a few higher speed shooting modes, one is 3.9 fps and a 4 megapixel super high speed at 10.5 fps which is likely to be enough to capture any high speed events, and 4mp is fine for a 10 x 8" print or slightly bigger.

The Canon is a pretty good camera in most respects it's well priced, mostly good performance and a easy to use for shooters of all skill levels. It's an auto point and shoot in many ways, but you can adjust the important areas such as exposure compensation and white balance and ISO.

Images (and video) are quite good in bright light, lower light levels I would avoid the highest ISO setttings both stills and video take a dive here. But for the majority of users this camera will make pleasing prints, and the competitive price is nice to see too. There are some other options out there, the TZ-55 costs a bit more and is better featured (in some ways) it's also a larger camera (in part due to the flip LCD on the back), the Fuji F900 is also worth a look it's a less easy to use camera that might reward those willing to put the effort in and learn it's quirks, but it's capable of decent quality images and good dynamic range.

The Canon is close to if not slighty better for video v the TZ-55 (in my view) it's better than the Fuji in this area too. It's a good choice if you want something easy to use out of the box, the Panasonic and Fuji might be better suited to those who like to dabble and experiment more.

Tricky choice for superzoom compacts at this price point, bar a few bits left out (no pano mode is strange, and some manual controls would be nice) The SX600 HS is a pretty strong offering and the price is quite wallet friendly too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Compact, 29 Aug. 2014
Great little camera. Compact but not the smallest camera around, it fits well in the hands and feels 'quality'. Takes good pictures in most lighting situations - and great HD movies. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five out of five, 15 July 2014
I am very pleased with this camera. I wanted a good quality, point and shoot camera and that is what I now have. It takes excellent pictures and it was easy to get to grips with the different features.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great all rounder as a point-and-shoot, which I guess is what 99% of us want., 30 Sept. 2014
S. Riches - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
After lots of research and reading of reviews I went for this and am very pleased I did - indeed I looked at the much more expensive SX700 and still settled on this.

The 18x optical zoom is excellent and fairly quick (some cameras lag a lot on zoom), and I like the pop-up flash because it's a good physical reminder. My guess is that most of us will operate this camera on its intelligent auto setting 99% of the time and the results which this setting produces are excellent, even in low light without flash. I've ploughed through 3 compact cameras in 12 years and this seems the best of them - my Canon Ixus had massive useage and I can hardly complain that its erase button finally stopped working (got it fixed) but its eventual death came from internal collapse of its on/off button and connected paraphanalia. Everything has a death point. If this beast is as strong and long-lived I shall be happy.

This SX600 feels well made, fits nicely in the hand and genuinely is compact. The creative shot setting with multiple images works fine but I can't be bothered with it and I'm sure most people will ignore it, the hybrid-auto setting with its mix of quick 4-second vid plus a few stills may be useful as an easy way to have a ready-prepared mixed record of an event/day but to me it's a fluffy gimmick. Will edit this review later if I change my mind. The normal automatic stills and the normal automatic(excellent quality) video are fine for me, I can manage my own mixes later on laptop. Glad this camera has wi-fi although I take note of other reviews saying that setting up the wi-fi can be a pain, however I just take out the SD cards from my cameras and put them directly into my laptop for adjusting/editing images, and I have not yet needed to try the wi-fi function to bounce images to my smartphone etc. That day may come, and obviously I will re-edit this review if I have anything to say on it later.

Some people criticise lack of detailed manual controls but let's be honest, 99% of us use these types of cameras as point-and-shoot and just let the camera's automatic internals do all the focus, shutter speed and aperture for us, and this little beast does all that very well and very quickly. Images are excellent. If you really want a level of detailed control you wouldn't be going for this camera anyway. Surely the very acceptable end results are all that count? This does stuff that's good enough for very large prints (lots of pixels even on 18x zoom), and even if you were taking shots for newspaper use (I used to) or for other media then it's good enough quality for the purpose. The ability to grab, point and shoot without much fiddling does at times give you a massive advantage over the lens-twiddling geezers, especially in things like news gathering where things happen quickly and rarely stop to pose for you, the same is true for those very quick holiday moments when you need to grab that fleeting smile or event before it's gone for ever.
This camera slips nicely and unobtrusively into a pocket and can be whisked out quickly. You do need to get a decent, strong but well-fitting case and I am extremely happy with the BAXXTAR MANGA III case from elsewhere on this site - but hunt the best price!

The only thing I would change about this camera is that the controls are not all immediately intuitive, for instance I'd like to see a separate "erase" button with a bin symbol so you can kill an unwanted shot immediately (after of course an "Are you sure?" reminder) - but this does not have one of those. I'd also like to see an obvious "back" button. You really need to practise once you get this camera, but it's not rocket science and if I can get the hang of it fairly quickly, anybody can and it'd be downright churlish to knock a star off the review for that reason only. The only other comment is that you need to hunt around for the lowest price because this model at time of posting this review has wildly variable prices with up to 50% difference. Mercifully the lowest price was on this site. Happy snapping!
Steve Riches, Northampton, UK.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really happy with my purchase always had a Canon Camera but ..., 18 Oct. 2014
Really happy with my purchase always had a Canon Camera but this is the best by far. I'm by no means a professional but this is easy to use and great pictures

5.0 out of 5 stars I am really pleased with this camera - would have been more pleased ..., 20 Aug. 2014
I am really pleased with this camera - would have been more pleased if there had been a more detailed manual - took me ages to work out how to access the WiFi but daughter helped out!
Takes amazing photographs and I am beginning to get to grips with it's many features.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased so far, 2 Oct. 2014
Very pleased so far. Lots of different functions to explore. A Good simple 1-2 page Index guide would be useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent image quality and video good and easy to use, 9 Nov. 2014
Ideal camera to have when travelling light. Excellent image quality and video good and easy to use

4.0 out of 5 stars Balance takes a bit of getting used to but good compact, dead easy on auto, 2 Nov. 2014
Balance takes a bit of getting used to but good compact, dead easy on auto, reasonable selections of alternative shooting modes, great x18 magnification.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 7 Jan. 2015
Mr. E. Cesar (London, UK) - See all my reviews

I came across the Canon Powershot SX600 HS as a Lightning Deals during Black Friday offers so didn't hesitate to buy it, based on the vast majority of positive reviews here (4.5 out of 5 stars). As a bonus, it was coming with a Gorillapod and a case. Great!

I was REALLY disappointed with this camera after one month of use so ended up returning it to Amazon for a refund.

My main complains with the Canon SX600 were
- Poor quality of photos in low lighting conditions in auto mode: photos indoors were grainy or blurry.
- Video quality is OK but if you use the zoom during filming the camera will capture the noise made by the moving lenses VERY LOUDLY - how ridiculous is that?!
- Very difficult to connect it to Wi-Fi and share photos and videos on Flickr, Facebook or Youtube: the manual is useless on explaining how to do this. I had to spend a good deal of time on Youtube tutorials and online forums to learn how to set this up. I eventually managed and was OK but there's a limitation on the size of the video (2 mins) that you can send to Youtube.
- NFC simply didn't work! I have a Nexus 4 phone and the camera never managed to detect the phone. I've tried so many times uninstalling and reinstalling the Camera Window app to no avail so I gave up, thinking it was a problem with the phone but it wasn't as I've found out by reading some online forums.
- the flash does NOT pop up automatically if needed! instead, a message appears on the screen asking you to manually "Raise the Flash". That's just silly. The most basic and cheap camera would fire the flash if needed in auto mode.
- There's a totally useless "artistic effect" mode on the camera which creates a series of photos with different tint effects and crops if you press the shutter once - this is the kind of thing that you use once to see what it looks like and never again.
- There's not a delete button on the camera for easy deletion of photos. You need to go through some 3-4 steps on the menu.
- the two flaps of plastic that protect the lens when the camera is turned off were somewhat loose in place so if you shake the camera slightly they open and close. Dust could easily get inside the camera - poor construction, I guess.

Lastly...not really complains but worth mentioning:
- The camera was slow to record the file to the SD card: after pressing the shutter, the screen went black with the message "Busy" for about a second - that's just too much to wait in photography terms. - N.B. This could be down the the class 4 memory card I was using. It's recommended to use a class 10 one.
- The case that comes with it in the package is ridiculously big for the size of the camera. The camera itself is slightly bigger than a pack of cigarettes so perfect to go in your pocked but the case is about the size of a bag of sugar!
- This is supposed to be a travel kit: camera + case + tripod. But hey, where's a memory card in the package? If only the camera had any internal storage.
I didn't use the GorillaPod that came with it as I already had one. They're good.

In the end, I bought a Sony DSCWX350 which was a bit more expensive and without the "gifts" but with the cashback offered by Sony it worked out about the same price as the Canon above.
I've used the Sony one for only a couple of days and already noticed it is way superior and will review it after a few weeks of usage.