4.0 out of 5 stars A good budget compact from Canon
I've tested quite a few compacts lately and they do vary in quality quite a bit. This Canon is in the more affordable price bracket, but a step over the super budget £50 models.

Published 4 months ago by Mr Baz

1.0 out of 5 stars Lens failure - on Googling it appears to be a fairly common fault with this camera
I have a Canon 6d with L series lenses and wanted a camera for the pocket to take out and about. The image quality is what I'd expected from a pocket camera at this price and it was invaluable for days where you can just take it out in your pocket without thinking about it. However after only about 12/15 uses the lens has jammed. I was mid way through taking photos...
Published 23 hours ago by G. Turnbull

4.0 out of 5 stars A good budget compact from Canon, 7 May 2014
Mr Baz - See all my reviews
(#1 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)

The IXUS 150 has a quite nice zoom range (8x) wrapped up in small compact body. And bucking the trend from some makers, you do get a real battery charger and don't have to charge it in camera! (which is nice)

My quick summary after field testing the IXUS good/bad points:

Pros:
+ Handy 8x 28-224 mm equivalent zoom range, a step above some compacts in this price
+ Pretty good image quality for the sensor size
+ Excellent 1 cm macro (at the 28mm end) you can get some really good close up shots, much closer than some rivals (5 or 10cm is common)
+ Autofocus locked on well in most situations, the AF assist light helps in low light (I'd avoid using the tele end too much as it will struggle to focus due to the lens speed)
+ Fairly snappy performance, quick start up this is a point and shoot that is responsive and quick
+ Has lens based stabilisation which works very well esp useful for night shooting and lower light levels
+ 2.7" 230k dot LCD is fairly clean and clear even in harder lighting, not the highest resolution but in this price range it's normal
+ Movie quality is respectable for a budget compact (even though it's not full HD)
+ Good flash exposures, power balanced well with the scene (no real white out issues as you get on some compacts)
+ Battery life isn't bad for a small compact I got over 220 shots per charge, there is an "eco mode" that extends battery life some more
+ Simple to use with a help button if you get stuck. Menus are straight forward and easy to navigate

Cons:
- Lens speed is a bit slow at the telephoto end f/6.9 not ideal for lower light shooting
- Optics are not bad for this price, wide angle corners not as sharp as I'd like but would be fine for normal printing. Quite sharp at the tele end.
- Movie mode is 1280 x 720, 25 fps, not full HD and has mono sound
- Image quality takes a bit of a dive in darker levels, I'd try to keep it to ISO 800 and under.
- No panoramic mode and no software CD supplied in the box
- Slow continuous shooting at under 1fps

Whilst it's a simple point and shot the Canon does pretty well overall. The Smart Auto does a decent job in most cases. You have quite a good selection of filters and scene modes such as toy camera, fisheye, black and white, a low light mode (that drops the resolution to 4mp to reduce noise) An i-contrast mode that helps the dynamic range in harsher lighting. You also get a ZoomPlus 16x mode to enhance the zoom range (it's ok but don't expect miracles image wise) and the usual assortment of other creative effects.

Controls wise fairly simple, you do have exposure compensation and a choice of metering modes.

There is a long shutter speed mode that allows you to do longer exposures up to 15 seconds (handy for night tripod shots)

On balance it's actually quite a well featured little compact, more so than most in this price range. I think it's a good buy at this price, Canon have done a mostly good job with a fun compact that's easy to use and takes quite respectable photos. Don't get too carried away with the megapixel number or marketing claims, you can get some decent A4 prints from this compact which is about as big as most people will go.

Compared to the £50 compacts I've tested recently I think this is worth the extra asking price. Recommended for folks looking for a nice small compact, that takes pretty good photos and is wallet friendly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, 3 July 2014
Bought as a present for my Non-Tech wife. Seems to do everything my top of the range DSLR does. She finds it so easy and immediately put it to good use on a trip to the Inner Hebrides.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice and easy does it every time., 26 Mar 2014
Mrs. Katharine Kirby "Kate" (HELSTON, Cornwall United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This palm sized pocket poppet is about 9 x 5cm. A little thicker than a smart phone, but smaller in area. It packs quite a punch for the size - 16.0 megapixels with a 8 x optical zoom. With all the bells and whistles I need - I wasn't looking for wifi or gps, just a discreet to use, straightforward, simple camera.

The chunky charger and lead plugs into the mains. The flat, square lithium battery has a small amount of charge on arrival, and needs a good fill up before you set off to take pics. The first charge took around 4 hours before showing `full'. I bought a spare, at an attractive price on amazon, for longer trips away. Canon NB-11L Battery Pack Not using AA batteries means the camera can be lighter and will go longer without requiring changes.

The instruction book is fat and thick, although you can confidently tear off 95% of that, as you only need your own one language.

The rubber left side strip of the camera peels back for the av/out digital lead you already may own; it's the tiny one of course. Luckily I had a connector in my bag of tricks, to fit the camera to my imac; but if you haven't already got one, this cable looks good, with a long lead. Canon IFC-400PCU USB Cable for use with suitable Digital Cameras

I'd bought a 16gb memory card, which arrived in the same delivery. SanDisk SDSDB-016G-B35 16GB Class 4 SDHC Memory Card That slots in neatly along with the charged up battery. A tiny orange latch releases them. The shiny metal connectors go at the bottom.

There's a tripod connector underneath. This could be useful to avoid the shakes.

I chose the gorgeous ruby red colour, both matt and shiny surfaces have a glittery look.

To keep my new toy safe I ordered a cosy case in pale blue BDC0103eva New first2savvv semi-hard light blue camera case for Canon IXUS 125 HS ,IXUS 135,IXUS 132 ,IXUS 255 HS,PowerShot A2500 IS ,PowerShot A2600 ,PowerShot A3500 IS & & SAMSUNG SMART CAMERA SH100 ES90,ST150F,WB30F,DV150F,DV151F & OLYMPUS TG-820,TG-...

When you turn the camera on, you can access a ? help menu, which gives `Hints' and explains functions. Otherwise, it is a case of click it and see. There is hardly any delay between pressing and taking the picture, which I like.

Although I enjoy using my big brick of a bridge camera, it doesn't easily slip into a pocket or a small bag. I realised I was missing interesting photo opportunities. Not wanting to be always attached to a mobile phone, and having given my last small camera to my grandson, I was searching again for a pocket point and shoot.

What I enjoy about little cameras is that they are unobtrusive. Children hardly realise you are taking their picture and everyone behaves more naturally without the obvious presence of a bigger box facing them. There is a time and a place for both types. A bridge or DSLR camera probably makes a better job of landscapes, property pictures, formal work, perhaps, but there is no substitute for spontaneity. I am pleased to have found this in my new Canon IXUS 150.

5.0 out of 5 stars For its size and cost this is a really nice camera for stills and video, 7 July 2014
This review is from: Canon IXUS 150 Digital Camera with Soft Leather Case and 4GB SD Card - Red (16 MP, 8x Optical Zoom) 2.7 inch LCD (Electronics)
For its size and cost this is a really nice camera for stills and video, the technology in such a small package is amazing. The design and quality of materials used is typical Canon and the quality of pictures is so good, obviously not up to DLSR standard but at a fraction of the price I have no complaints whatsoever. The Li On battery technology is amazing and I purchased 2 spares, but could manage on one all day long and with much use of the zoom lens and taking many videos, I didn't even bother with ECO mode!
For well under £100 you cannot go wrong in my opinion and having seen shots taken with modern smart phones there is no comparison with a "proper camera" like the Canon IXUS which has a decent lens. The HD video is outstanding for such a small camera and with a 32GB SDHC Extreme card you can takes many hours of video and still have room for 10,000 + photos! You can probably guess, that I am very pleased with my purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good camera, 25 April 2014
I have owned IXUS cameras for years now and use as an easy-to-carry alternative to my SLR. Solid build and resonable features for the price. Reason for 4 stars is that Canon have dropped the feature of an optical viewfinder which was very useful in bright sun conditions and even with screen brightness turned up to maximum it can be difficult to see the screen to compose a shot.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, 27 May 2014
Great little camera, having fun with all the settings, the miniature effect is magical and the fish eye setting is hilarious. There is more to this little camera than meets the eye, buy it, give it time and explore all the settings and I am sure you will have as much fun as I have and get some great shots. Enjoy

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 15 April 2014
Am delighted with my Canon camera it's a great little camera,it's so light and easy to use and is perfect for macro shots.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the camera, 7 July 2014
Love the camera. the down side I find is that the book that comes with it only has 6 pages with english in it and the actual manual (over a 100 pages) has to be downloaded or you have to read it off the computer.

4.0 out of 5 stars It is a good value, for money camera and producers really good ..., 10 July 2014
My previous Canon IXUS cameras came with a booklet, so much easier especially as there are some additional features on this new updated model. It is a good value,for money camera and producers really good pictures. I dropped my previous camera which I had had for about 8 years and so enjoyed the ease of using it and results that there was no hesitation in purchasing another one. It was despatched really quickly too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera, shame about the user instructions (downloadable)., 17 Aug 2014
I bought this camera in June to take on holiday within a day of travelling so did not have time to check out how it functioned.
Pleased to report it does all I need a camera to do. Good pictures, easy to use, slips unobtrusively into shirt pocket or trouser pocket.

As a rank amateur I enjoyed using this little gem and was surprised to discover when I returned from holiday just how much it is capable of doing.

I would have given this product 5 stars but for the fact that having to download over 100 pages of instructions to reveal all it's wondrous functions, rather takes the sparkle out of what is otherwise an excellent purchase.The paltry booklet which comes with the camera (in many pages and several languages of course) is not worth the paper it's written on. Pity.