5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you for this gem
I'm writing from Australia and the last episode just screened last Thursday.
Published 21 months ago by M. M. Jedlicka

3.0 out of 5 stars If you're wary, give it a shot anyway
This is an enjoyable show. It's pretty schmaltzy, and I've had only a few hours' experience in care homes - so idk how accurate or respectful it is. I watched on the strength of previous Ricky Gervais projects, as the Channel 4 advertising didn't do the show any favours. I think it could do without the drunken lech guy -- who, if you need a similar character, should at...
Published on 1 July 2013 by sharaboots

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you for this gem, 28 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Derek - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I'm writing from Australia and the last episode just screened last Thursday.
Derek is brilliant. Each episode is a statement on the value of life, respect for people, and the potential for kindness. You see annoyance between characters, but also the deeper commitment of acceptance. I have read the negative reviews-and I suppose this review is a response and I have to disagree. In my mind, the show isn't about all Derek and whatever his disability might be. To take issue with his representation misses the point. He's neutral foil for everybody else, without vices, vulnerable and he reflects everybody else's foibles. Frankly, you have to focus on the show as a piece, not TV entertainment. Ricky Gervais has used the medium as a venue for his feelings, especially about the elderly and those who can't speak for themselves. It's not the Office and it's not Extras and certainly not a feature film. More than one episode-especially that last one, has lurched at my insides and I'm crying. Talking about hard human issues without apology, Gervais has outdone himself. Thanks Ricky.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Watch, 9 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Derek - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Brilliantly acted and scripted from start to finish, I'm only disappointed there weren't more episodes. One of the best things I've seen on tv in a really long time. Loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 10 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Derek - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Im not a huge fan of Ricky Gervais but watched the pilot for this last year when my dad was in pallative care in local care home just to see what it was like and I quite enjoyed it. So I waited eagerly to see what the series was going to be like - probably not as good. How wrong I was. This is an absolutely brilliant piece of work. Every episode I laughed out loud and sobbed whilst I was laughing too. The observations of what its like to see elderly residents in a care home were spot on - and the final episode was the most emotional Ive been since dad died, it bought it all home. I cant wait for series 2 - and the dvd is a must !!!!! I wish every care home had a Derek x

5.0 out of 5 stars Caught me off guard, 7 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Derek - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Derek is a pitch perfect mix of clever humor, touching moments and silliness.
I was completely wrapped up (and surprised) with the characters, story lines and profound questions raised.
Different, well acted, moving, heart-breaking and hilarious! Derek is a big winner!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprise!, 7 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Derek - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I never watch things in which actors portray people with developmental disabilities etc. But this was a fantastic exception to the rule that it just never seems real. Wonderful humor and heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 7 Dec. 2013
Todd J. Chaisson "KidSeattle" (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Derek - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Great series by Ricky. It is funny and very touching, it glorifies human kindness and exposes ugliness, and will leave you smiling. Karl Pilkington really stands out. Must for Gervais fans and a highly recommended watch for everyone. Hopefully everyone will adopt the mantra "Kindness is Magic!"

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!!!!, 7 Dec. 2013
Linda Cook (PLANO, TEXAS, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Derek - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I think it is Ricky Gervais' best work! Very touching! I have a whole new respect for him! A subject far too overlooked!

5.0 out of 5 stars No one expected "Derek" and hence Ricky Gervais to be KIND AND funny..., 24 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Derek - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Ageism dies in this new venture from the man who brought you all that awkward and hilarious comedy. Mr. Gervais slows down the pace at the Broadhill rest home for seniors with "Derek". Playing the namesake role, Mr. Gervais finds that the magic of kindness can be generated with laughs AND sentimentality that is not "mental" or cartoon or formula in any fashion like the typical sitcom dreck. Maudlin it may be but that's a good thing in the case of Derek.

5.0 out of 5 stars Derek, 24 Sept. 2013
Angela Frank (BALTIMORE, MARYLAND, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Derek - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Still laughing at the Bus Scene.I don't know how much was scripted or just actors/comics just being downright funny.I keep "rewatching" and discovering.Maybe Ricky's best work so far in his career.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful tv at its best, 24 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Derek - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
A beautiful moving story, excellently written. Without a doubt Ricky Gervais finest work. If you haven't seen this watch it.

Derek - Episode 3