5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly good
I should say up front that I haven't read the Mortal Instruments Books (although I have read other books by the same author) so I am judging the film as a film alone, not in comparison to the book.

Published 15 months ago by Latitude

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointed.
Published 10 months ago by Lazydays

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointed., 7 Feb 2014
Having read City of Bones (bought as something to read while traveling) I was hooked, and just had to find out what happened to the people and the situations they found themselves in - so bought the rest of the books available. I couldn't get to see the film so looked forward to the DVD. As an action film I suppose it's OK but can't imagine what people who hadn't read the books thought it was about - characters just not developed enough and, with little 'historical' background to the lives they lived, hard to connect with.
I will read the books again and be just as enthralled and entertained with the storyline and all the characters involved, but will I watch the DVD again? - I doubt it very much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly good, 2 Sep 2013

I didn't really know what to expect, although I had heard some pretty sharp criticism of Jamie Campbell Bower's acting beforehand. As it happened, I love the character he plays, Jace. I suspect much of the objection is because is he is sarcastic, incendiary and self-effacing and uses attack as a form of defence; to get that much out of a movie with lots of action, J C-B must have some acting skills, although the character will not be to everyone's taste.

There are reviewers on here who say they had difficulty following the plot: I didn't. The tale is that of a quest to find a missing cup of power; a standard motif in fantasy literature but not one fantasy fans are likely to tire of.

The other characters; Clary, Simon, Jocelyn, Luke, Magnus, Isabelle and Alec all stand as individuals and it's easy to imagine that there is plenty of backstory to expand on in forthcoming films (and presumably already done in the books - I must get them!).

It shouldn't be necessary in this day and age to say that it was nice to see gay people treated as in and out of love the same as the non-gay people, but it was. I'm rooting for Alec and the hot witchy guy :D

Edit added, March 2014: I've now read all Cassandra Clare's books, and whilst I can now see why people have passed comment on the divergence of the film's plot from the first book, I still love the film. It's exceptionally well-cast, and the actors have the characters off to a tee. Terrific.

5.0 out of 5 stars City of bones, 30 Sep 2013
I enjoyed this film when it was out at the cinemas, the books are brilliant. I cant wait for the dvd to come out, but why wait til january, it should be released before christmas. Once again, why is another series being compared to twilight, its nothing like twilight, I am a huge twilight fan, read the books several times, watched all the dvds loads of times too, but this is another brilliant stand alone series, by a completely different author, so those critics out there, forget twilight whilst reading or watching this, stop comparing. Now I learn the second film in the series has been put on hold indefinitely, why oh why are they putting the second film on hold, the first is brilliant, Lily Collins, Jamie Campbell Bower are brilliantly cast as the leads. I don't want to say too much about the film, as it may spoil it for those who haven't seen it or read the book. Lets just say it is more about demons/magic. I just hope they change their minds and decide to film the second book, and all the other books too as it is a brilliant series.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is not Twilight!, 29 Aug 2013
So fed up of reading 80% reviews that have to mention twilight. Lets get this out first. It is NOT Twilight. Whether you liked the saga or not, it is nothing like it, just because it is based on a set of YA books, that is as far as the similarity goes. Yes it had vampires in and a male/female lead (trio) and so have many other films.

City of bones is the first film based on the Mortal instruments books by Cassandra Clare. I went into the cinema as a non fan. Had no expectations.I couldn't get into the books when I was first encouraged to read them by my daughter. But the clips looked good and she wanted to see it. Yes it probably went on about legends and mythology. Why wouldn't it? If you are going to make a film, its no good bypassing the why's and the wherefores of why they are doing what they are doing today. Every series of films has the first film as a getting to know the characters and a backstory. If they don't go into the story, it wouldn't make a lot of sense. The film had a lot of action, from early on into the film. With a hint of romance that hasn't over powered the film. It had feeling and depth to it and a little humour. I came away from the cinema wanting to know more and wanting to see more films. Even my husband who normally only tolerates such films to keep the peace wants to see the next one.

Reading the first book of the series the same night, was awesome. It had the same lines in it, mostly delivered by "Jace" and having watched the film, I could hear his voice and it was the same! Yes they changed bits, they had to. They had to get a long book into a film, that had to appeal to fans, non fans, teenagers, adults, and poor long suffering husbands who get dragged along. In short it had to appeal to everyone. I would say it was successful.

If you don't like it, that is your opinion. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. But if you don't like it, it doesn't make it a bad film. I sincerely hope that if they don't make the entire series (and I really hope they do!) that they at least make the next 2 books and wrap it up properly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Based on the book but not a complete adaption of it, 10 Nov 2014
This review is from: The Mortal Instruments (DVD)
A very good movie. I enjoyed it almost as much as the book which I gave 5 stars by the way. I realize it is not fair to compare the two especially if everything in the book was put into the movie it would be over 5 hours long, but I did have a problem that I don't think some of the side character in the film got enough air time. Isabelle and Alec were almost like extras than a supporting cast in terms of their character development. Simon, Jocelyn, Luke, Magnus, could also have benefited from more time spent on them as well.

This movie is more of a based on the book than adaptation of it. They did make many changes to keep even the reader of the book interested. The only point I am not quite clear on is why the bad guys actually want the mortal cup? Their plans do seem to be independent of it, and the fact that it is hidden and out of use should suit their purposes even more. I do like the way that Clary has a more central role sort of like a chosen one type of thing. The effect and the way they created the world was excellent I thought. The last thing I did not like about the movie is the Shadow Hunters seemed to be a bit soft. Not the bad a$$ from the book. They seemed happier to hide then fight. Though they did fight when they had to.

If you read the book you know the plot, if you read the synopses you know what the film is about. I am just going to go into the basic details as it is more fun to discover the new world through watching the movie. Clary starts to see and doodle a symbol everywhere, suddenly she has an attraction the to darker side of the club scene. Entering a Goth club with her "best" friend Simon she witnesses a murder in the middle of the club, but nobody else seems to be able to see the killers or the victim. Clary starts to discover that werewolves, vampires and monsters are not only real but they are everywhere and could be anyone. She must learn her own family history connected and discover her own powers. An all-round good movie. I enjoyed it and it kept my interest for the whole 2+ hours.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 11 Sep 2013
M. A. L. Tuffley "ALT" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I absolutely loved this movie. I cannot wait for the DVD. The reviews are a unnecessarily harsh and unjustified. I will admit that it has been changed from the book, but I really liked it and cannot wait for the second one

1.0 out of 5 stars Just Disappointing, 4 Oct 2014
This review is from: The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones (Amazon Instant Video)
I don't often write reviews, and I attempt to only write positive things, but this film may be the worst I've seen this year.
The acting talent isn't poor, in fact it is a shame a few television actors have this as their first big time on the silver screen, and the concept isn't all that bad, but the script is absolutely awful, and I personally really dislike the director's choices.
JK Rowling brought reading and fantasy back to a generation, a generation that then desired more of the same, and made do with the twilight saga, and this is clearly the extension of the same, of our need for vampires and werewolves and magic. I think this may have put me off magic for a while, at least in the harsh grey reality not everything everyone says is depressingly predictable.
Writing a negative review is far easier than writing a positive one, and I hope this can be my first and last one star rating, but if you want to sit down in front of a good film, go for something else, anything else.
I feel I should add I haven't read the book, so can't pass judgement on the comparison.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspired & fun, 20 Sep 2013
Given this is the biggest Young Adult Fiction franchise since Twilight, it's inevitable that this series would be compared to its massively successful predecessor. Although it has a young heroine, an attractive male lead, vampires and werewolves, the similarities between the two are actually exaggerated. I'm a huge Twilight fan, but I thought this was better. More ambitious, intricate plot, better acting and a beautiful score by Atli Orvarsson - I enjoyed every minute of this film. So much so that I went and bought the books (which are fab too) the next day. Jamie Campbell Bower was somewhat irritating in Twilight, but in this film he comes across as an impressive, charismatic actor, playing Jace pretty much to perfection. Godfrey Gao as the wonderful Magnus Bane and Jemima West as Isabelle stand out too.

It's a real shame more people didn't go and see this at the cinema (I think the film's producers failed to promote this first instalment effectively)- let's hope the sequel (City of Ashes) gets made as City of Bones really left me wanting for more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Film, 16 Nov 2013
Having read TMI series, I had to go see the movie adaptation. And was not disappointed. Of course, not EVERYTHING was included, as is to be expected. But it doesn't spoil it in any way. Has plenty of the clever, witty banter/quips that partly makes the series so enjoyable, and as well-loved as it is. Love Jamie Campbell-Bower and Lily Collins as Jace and Clary. Jace is always so cool and calm with every situation, and...ahem, HOT ;) and so brilliantly sarcastic! And we love him for it!
Overall, a brilliantly fun, action-packed, often sweetly romantic adventure that I (and many others) very much hope will continue being filmed with City of Ashes and the rest!
10/10 Unfairly under-rated

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but not as good as the book, 22 May 2014
This review is from: The Mortal Instruments (DVD)
Yet again, there's been a lot of money spent, good casting, but the script leaves you wanting more. For me, the leads had very little chemistry, and if I had not read the book, there were huge holes in the plot, and people acting without a lot of motive. Without wanting to spoil it for the unititiated, one character does a complete about-face in attitude in the space of minutes....for no apparent reason!

If you just want to watch lots of pretty leads fight fantasy baddies - it's a good night in. If you want a little more meaning behind the mayhem, read the book!