4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good if you don't need perfect colour or a wall mount
The U28D590D (which I'm going to call the 590D from now on) is incredibly easy to set up. The stand is solid and takes up very little space on the desk. You’ll find it a little wobbly if you have a tendency to prod at your monitor, but seems stable.

Published 20 days ago by DJ Timmins

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible colour shift
And not just vertically , but horizontally too.

Even sitting directly in front of the monitor, there is enough of an angle between your eyes and the edges that what is white in the center of the screen looks orange at the far edges of the screen

Published 1 month ago by Mcfaul

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good if you don't need perfect colour or a wall mount, 11 July 2014
DJ Timmins (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung U28D590D 28 inch Ultra HDMI Monitor (Accessory)

You can tilt the screen up and down through about 15 degrees but there’s no horizontal rotation except by moving the entire base. You won’t be able to raise or lower the monitor on its stand, nor turn it to portait orientation. There are also no VESA mount holes, so you’ll have to hack together your own solution if you were hoping to wall-mount or use a monitor arm. The screen itself is great non-reflective matte surface.

The monitor comes with a HDMI and a DisplayPort cable. You’ll need to use the DisplayPort if you want to hit the max of 60fps gaming as it uses HDMI 1.4, which is limited to 30Hz (i.e. 30fps)

I did notice a small bit of backlight bleeding at the bottom of the panel. Not enough to annoy me but definitely present. Happily, there are no dead pixels.

For a TN, rather than IPS panel, the colour reproduction is pretty good. Purists will notice a bit of colour distortion around the edges or when you lean left or right. For general gaming, that's perfectly acceptable at this price.

I've not found a good use for the Samsung MagicBright or MagicAngle features.

Most Windows software isn't ready for 4k just yet. Windows itself does a pretty good job of scaling up explorer windows, folders and text but I found plenty of software that won’t go above its 1080p scale, so I have really squint at the monitor to read their text.

Games themselves, however, tend to play quite well. Metro: Last Light, Crysis 3, Sniper Elite 3 and The Witcher 2 all worked fine at 4k. I didn’t notice any lag that would affect my aim, nor ghosting. Colours looked great and the finer details were beautifully sharp. BioShock Infinite had extremely small prompts but still discernible on this 28-inch screen. Dragon Age: Origins, however, had an almost unreadable HUD.

Occasionally, the monitor refuses to turn itself on from standby and AMD’s Catalyst Control Center reports a problem with the link. I’ve found that disconnecting and reconnecting the power cable fixes this every time but still haven’t figured out the root cause.

As long as you’re not photo-editing or doing other tasks that require perfect colour, Samsung’s U28D590D is a sharp, 28-inch 4k monitor at a decent price. The 28 inch screen means you’re not (often) squinting at the screen, while the picture is lovely and clear. If you’re already comfortably running Crossfire/SLI machines or if you don’t mind being limited to 30 frames per second then this could be the 4k monitor for you. However, I don't recommend it PC gamers less experienced with managing their own hardware.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great, 3 Jun 2014
This review is from: Samsung U28D590D 28 inch Ultra HDMI Monitor (Accessory)
I have owned this monitor for about 3 months having bought it from Korea (identical product, different plug).

You will notice when you get the monitor that you appear to have a lot more screen space to work with. Icons become very small, text is small and clear. One issue I have found is that text in some programmes can be too small. Because not everything (or very much) is optimised for 4k the text in a programme may become 1/4 of it's intended size. For most things you can zoom or chance the text size in windows settings.

You should remember when buying this that it is a TN monitor. It'll be quite a clear chance if you've been using IPS / PLS for the last few years. You have to make sure the monitor is angled correctly to avoid colour shift but the 1ms response time is good. I don't know if that's completely accurate but it does feel faster than my previous Samsung PLS monitor.

With regards to graphical power, it is useable at this time without too much need for change. I have an AMD 7580 (costs about 150) and it can just about do the job. Where as I used to run everything on high to ultra I now run it on mid with no AA etc and there has been a big drop in frame rates but it's still ok for games. I'd suggest if you were to build a new machine or upgrade your graphics card you should be ok with about a 200 card.

There are a few issues with this monitor. Sometimes I cannot turn it on and need to unplug it for a few seconds and plug it back in to make it work. Also it will sometimes start up and run in HD or 1440p but this may be more of an issue with my graphics card / DP drivers.

4k video looks good but there is very little content currently.

I'd say you're better of buying a decent HD IPS monitor for the time being until 4k improves (support, content, graphics cards, IPS) but if like me you end up getting it anyway it's pretty decent.

It'd also be worth noting that I bought this for less than the Amazon price from Korea. I'd recommend to anyone looking for a new screen to look at what you can import from Korea and make significant savings. As I understand it Samsung will still have to repair this in the UK if anything goes wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome colour range, 22 July 2014
Unbelievable monitor!
Awesome colour range, intense response time, Incredible fidelity!
For normal PC use it has little quirks, i.e. slightly blurry text on some programs that don't support 4k scaling. However when gaming, and you have the grunt to run 4k, It's truly ridiculous to have that much fidelity! Very little need for any intense AA.
Also games that run in 1080p still look great, no difference to looking at a normal monitor!
Highly recommended!!
Hint: turn response time to "Normal" not "Fastest" as the latter leaves big black borders around moving images in games

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultra-HD... Ultra-Impressed, 28 July 2014
This review is from: Samsung U28D590D 28 inch Ultra HDMI Monitor (Accessory)
Out of the box was quite taken back at the slickness and unassumingness of the monitor. This is quite the upgrade from my previous screen and was impressed before I even switched it on!

Some of the number are a bit over my head, a billion this, a million that... all I know is this is by far the best monitor I have seen!! Was looking for something I can multi-task on and watch and edit high quality film. This is perfect. I'm amazed at getting the 4K Ultra-HD experience right on my desktop.

Things to note:

1. The monitor provides a multi task function where you can view 2 HDMI inputs without any loss of resolution; a multi-tasking miracle I say...! Really neat feature that really won me over.
2. The UHD provides a seamless gaming performance, with an instant screen refresh with no visible pauses to the naked eye. Your gaming experience will really be notched up a level!
3. If you are hoping to enjoy the UHD 4K experience, you will not be disappointed – the upscale performance is perfect. Can't wait for 4K video to become more popular, really feel I have a future-proof screen here. Although, remember this is not a TV and therefore you will be required to plug in your own speakers.

Having played around with Windows 8 for a while the only improvement I could ask for is a touchscreen version!!
Brilliant product. Well done Samsung!

5.0 out of 5 stars A product review ( for a change! ), 23 May 2014
This review is from: Samsung U28D590D 28 inch Ultra HDMI Monitor (Accessory)
Like many of you, I too pre-ordered this monitor on the 2nd April, and was disappointed but not
surprised by the delay in shipping on May 1st. I don't have any connection with Amazon but
feel that this was more likely due to Samsung's speculative shipping dates than anything else. . .
Even Overclockers (who made the statement they would be first with stock to the UK market)
know their initial published date will not see the arrival of this much sort after monitor.

So, having waited since April 2nd, and now having had no futher shipping date announced by Amazon,
I cancelled my order and obtained a Korean direct unit (via Ebay source) . . . and the upshot is. . .
I'm very pleased I did . . . This monitor is truly amazing! 4k in all it's glory is well worth the price
of admission. As for the famed TN issues with vertical shift in colour . .. Samsung have included
in the monitor menu something called 'Samsung MAGIC ANGLE" .. which I have in "Lean back
mode 1". This completely removes the slight amount of vertical shift there was. I was very impressed
and happy with results of that feature .. A very smart move by Samsung. In addition, I very much doubt
that the Amazon units (whenever they do arrive) would be any different from this unit,
no dead pixels, no screen alignment issues, no issues whatsoever.

I'm in the process of putting together a more powerful system (you'll need lots of processing power
and a very fast graphics card to run 4K at full frame rate). In the meantime, I have been running
this monitor from a 2011 quad core mac mini (display port to HDMI adapter / HDMI 1.4 cable) .. needs
SwitchRES-X to get OSX to play ball with 4k resolution, I'm getting 3840x2160 at 30hz and can manage around 10FPS
of Full 4k video from YouTube. Looking forward to using this monitor with a better specced machine soon.

So to conclude. It's a fabulous quality screen, everything I hoped it would be a more.Hope you
guys still on the Amazon pre-order list don't have to wait much longer.But the Korean import works for
me. I'm very, very happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with the purchase and none of its downfalls apply ..., 14 July 2014
This review is from: Samsung U28D590D 28 inch Ultra HDMI Monitor (Accessory)
Cant fault it for the price its everything I hoped for when looking for a cheap 4k monitor.
Very happy with the purchase and none of its downfalls apply for me as once in place I dont plan on knocking it about or changing my viewing angle.
Picture quality is excellent and great to game on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect For What I Wanted, 22 Jun 2014
This review is from: Samsung U28D590D 28 inch Ultra HDMI Monitor (Accessory)
Yes it took ages to arrive, yes there is some slight colour blending on text at the highest resolution, but for the price you can't go wrong.

I use mine on a new Mac Pro with HDMI with out of the box settings, no issues at all. Although as I do text based work I am not that bothered by 30Hz but have ordered a mini display port to display port to try. OSX 10.9.3 adds scaled resolution and I use mine in 3008x1692 as this replaces a 30" Apple Cinema display and thats more than sufficient for me and gives good text resolution and gets rid of the colour issue. Getting rid of the 30" Cinema Display will also reduce the heat that unit used to push out.

I also do turn the timer to off on the screen as with HDMI it doesn't want to wake up when you come back to the system, but a small niggle.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible colour shift, 5 Jun 2014
This review is from: Samsung U28D590D 28 inch Ultra HDMI Monitor (Accessory)
And not just vertically , but horizontally too.

also the stand offers basically zero adjustments, you can tilt it back SLIGHTLY, and thats it, there is no vertical adjustment at all.

i ended up returning it as it was simply awful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great picture quality, 1 Jun 2014
This review is from: Samsung U28D590D 28 inch Ultra HDMI Monitor (Accessory)
Technically, I have no issues with this monitor:
No dead pixels, no backlight bleed.
Yes, it is a TN panel and thus suffers a bit from colour shift, but as I always sit directly in front of the monitor it's not a problem for me.
Colours look great, very crisp and sharp text, as you would hope and expect.
MacOS 10.9.3 looks and scales best, but with Windows 8.1 and Chrome set at 150% magnification I have no problems with it either.
With Displayport cable at 60Hz - out of the box - nice!
I was positively surprised that with my Geforce 780 GTX many older games that I haven't played yet actually run at full details and full resolution: Skyrim, Hitman... And even Watch Dogs runs at around 21-40 FPS, so not that far off from being playable. One day I'll stick another 780 GTX in my PC.
All in all, a very nice monitor, and I'm happy with the price too. Now I'm waiting for a BIGGER version to come out (have downgraded from a 30" Dell).

4.0 out of 5 stars Stunning visuals, 11 July 2014
This review is from: Samsung U28D590D 28 inch Ultra HDMI Monitor (Accessory)
The Samsung UHD590 Monitor is a state of the art display screen that uses the same technology as their award-winning Ultra High Definition TV's, providing four times the resolution of full HD displays.
This is a 28" screen, with 384 x 2160 resolution, compatible with Windows 8.1 and MAC.
Well there's no doubt that the Samsung UHD590 delivers on looks. It really has achieved a stunning minimalist look that sits beautifully in any home. It's sleek, slim and very well thought through. You can see here, that sitting on my very slim desk suits it well, and I'm quite happy having it in my home.
The monitor does UHD up-scaling and converts low resolution content to create shaper images which is perfect for watching movies and playing games. We would certainly agree!
We managed beautiful FHD from our Blu Ray player. It was truly stunning and a wonderful picture, and it's exciting to know that this technology is on the way, and we'll have the right monitor for it, when it arrives.
Another thing to point out is, remember this isn't a tv screen, and so you'll need to connect it to a pair of speakers to get any sound. It's just something to consider if you're wanting to use it in multiples ways. While the children were watching their favourite YouTube Frozen videos from my laptop they, of course needed sound.
To be honest, we're not gamers and so haven't connected it to any gaming devices. We didn't think it could give the Wii graphics any boost particularly!
The size is amazing and really enhances the imagery. We've watched a few films, and we may well connect it to a spare HD Freeview box too. The 28" screen size is perfect for that. For day to day working, I'd say it's quite large on my desk and it's not something you need to be too close to. You'll need a good-sized desk, so you can sit further back and enjoy it at its best.
Overall, even though we've not been able to achieve the full UHD experience, this is still a beautiful monitor that we'll get plenty of use from. It's at the cutting edge of technology, and I'm sure once films and games are available in 4k we'll be right there. The size is perfect, the imagery stunning, and the versatility fantastic.
I think you have to be seriously into your high-tech pieces to be considering this product, but I think those amongst you that are, won't be disappointed.

Samsung U28D590D 28 inch Ultra HDMI Monitor