Format: Audio CD|Change

on 16 April 2002
38 special have been around since the 1970s. Their stock in trade is southern boogie, and it is no coincidence that their music is, in some ways, a development of their more well-known predecessor Lynyrd Skynyrd. Indeed, the lead singers of the two groups are brothers.
Tour de Force is 38 Special's 6th album and, for me, by far the best. I know that so many reviewers give 5 stars, and it tends to be devalued, but this is one of only 2 or 3 albums of my collection of about 500 that would get 5 stars, and the only one for which I've written a review. Although it's a relatively short work (issued in 1983 when vinyl was king), each of the 9 songs is of top quality. From the story of rekindling a relationship in 'One time for old times' to the emotions of 'If I'd been the one' via the unrequited love of 'I oughta let go', every new track brings something new musically, if not in terms of the storyline! From Van Zant's voice to the guitars of Jeff Carlisi and Don Barnes and the drums of Steve Brookins, this album still sounds good after nearly 20 years. If melodic rock is your thing, then chances are you'll love it! Everybody I play it to likes it. I still listen to my copy after all this time, and there aren't many albums you can say that about. Happy listening!
on 28 June 2014
My favourite 38 special album. I already owned the A&M version. But the sound was rather thin like all the other first cd releases. Culture factory has done a wonderful job here. This reissue not only replicates the album cover and inner-sleeve like the original vinyl version, it's also 24-bit remasterd. And it sounds really great, much more depth.

It has al the lyrics (the A&M cd-version did not) but on the other hand, the smallest words on the inner-sleeve are not readable.
And that's (like the price on amazon, which is way too expensive) is the only critisism I have.
on 3 August 2015
I thought this was a group I on cassette and it was the same one
on 21 December 2014