Shop now Shop Now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

on 21 August 2009
I've read and enjoyed all previous books by Larry Bond so this one was a let down compared to past experiences. Don't get me wrong it's not a bad book just not the normal type of plot which Larry Bond is known for.

So what's the plot? 20 years after the end of the Cold War (2009) the Russians launch a new attack submarine with a an inexperienced but skilled captain. The US sends out an attack submarine to do geological surveys of the sea bottom in the Barents Sea but it is detected by a new passive underwater sonar system. In the game of chicken which follows when the two submarines tangle things go wrong and a major disaster happens. We then get lots of Cold war posturing amongst the senior Russian naval officers whilst trying to recover the submarine which has gone down. Mixed in with it is modern family action using the internet to pressure the Russian naval staff into providing answers to various questions. The US try to provide assistance which is initially rebuffed until what they offer is seen on the internet then a little entente cordiale comes into play.

It's a straightforward plot with no red herrings or guessing to be done. Not bad for a long journey or a rainy day but not a must buy book.
on 1 December 2015
Cold Choices. (101115) Book two Jerry Mitchell series. Wow!
Steady buildup of all essential facts before, at 25% massive
surge of really exciting stuff. This is a tale for the adrenalin
junkies! At 71% I am still really 'locked' into this book. It offers
dare I say it, a different kind of excitement and plot from most
seafaring tales that I normally enjoy. This often feels like a more
?sophisticated? thrill! Whilst our American cousins continue to
liberally engulf us with quite alien terminology and short hand it
is well worth the patience straining test because this is a super
book! What also recommends it to me is the fact that characters
from the previous novel have appeared, giving one a feeling of
continuity which I, personally, always find pleasurable.
Thoroughly recommended.

on 17 May 2015
Excellent tale based on the relationship between two nuclear submarines, one American and one Russian. Also involved in the story are the White House and the Russian Northern Command.
This is a story that is difficult to put down and keeps the reader entertained throughout the novel.
on 9 June 2014
on 12 November 2014
This is a modern day, post-Cold War submarine thriller, which is technically and technologically well developed. Some interesting angles on undersea operations, and interesting character evolution.
on 8 January 2015
An excellent submarine rescue novel in the Arctic following a collision between the latest Soviet submarine and a US submarine. Excellent action and descriptions of submarine life and warfare.
on 5 October 2014
From start to finish a very gripping read. One of the best submarine fiction stories I have read to date. I would recommend this to anyone who is interested in this world of nuclear submarines.
on 27 September 2010
Its OK but nothing really special. If you've read earlier books you may be disappointed as this is very predictable. A decent holiday read as it won't tax the old grey cells
on 20 October 2014
Brilliant, he really knows how to ramp up the tension. Dont want to give the end away but I was doing fist pumps and mentaly chearing the crew on.
on 2 April 2015
I had not read any of Larry's books for years, I loved Vortex and Red Phoenix, this book is as good as those, I thoroughly enjoyed it