5.0 out of 5 stars Wow I can't wait for book 4
Great story well written, I also love the way books never retold the story of books 1,2 just giving little insight here and there of what was going on. if you like Vampires werewolfs and supernatural books I would recommend the Blackstone books but start from book 1 as this does help with the main plot in the story line. A Great value for you money
Published 4 months ago by Julie

3.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunately not my favorite novel in the series
You can guess from my rating that it's not my favorite book in the series. I loved the previous two, but Blood Torn was an uphill struggle, and it took me over a month to finish it.

What went wrong?

An annoying heroine for once. Phia is one of those, with a big chip on her shoulder, a lot of bluster and hardly any skill to back it up. She works for...
Published 4 months ago by kara-karina (Nocturnal Book Re...

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow I can't wait for book 4, 7 Mar 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Spectacular, 5 Mar 2014
This review is from: Blood Torn (Blackthorn Book 3) (Kindle Edition)
I make no secret of the fact I am a big fan of Ms. Pryor's world of Blackthorn. The first book in the series, Blood Shadows, was a whirlwind, gripping story about fierce, feisty agent Caitlin Parish - from the Third Species Control Division - intent on bringing down the notorious master vampire, Kane Malloy. This story almost prevented me from preparing the kids' dinner a few nights in a row.

Then came the second book, Blood Roses, and the incredibly dark vampire, Caleb Dehain, who I absolutely loved. I think I loved Blood Roses, with Caleb and Leila – a serryn born to destroy him – more than I loved Blood Shadows (although I'd never have guessed it at the time).

Ms. Pryor creates strong, but seriously flawed heroines, on a mission to take down the enemy they're destined to fall in love with, but not without consequence.
She likes to put some serious obstacles in the way of these couples, leaving you wondering how on earth they're going to come through it unscathed.

I got my 'claws' into Blood Torn by downloading it as soon as it was released, and spent an entire evening into the early hours reading the first half. I'd have pulled an all-nighter if I could, because the threads Ms. Pryor kept spinning kept me turning, page after page after page with questions, desperate to know what happened next.

The first two books follow the story of two of the key players – the two most powerful vampires – in Blackthorn.

Blood Torn, on the other hand, is all about sexy Lycan leader Jask Tao, and Phia McKay; the sharp, impulsive younger sister of Leila from Blood Roses, and she's intent on bringing down ALL of the Third Species leaders. What she doesn't count on, though, is Jask being a force to be reckoned with, someone who challenges her very being, her reason for existing and all of her values. He breaks her down, gets under her skin, and gets into her head and she's powerless to stop him, although she certainly gives it her best shot. As with all of Ms. Pryor's books, we are left with a Happy For Now, but there are some mammoth challenges left in the way, all leading up to what I expect will be a massive show-down – yet to be revealed. Once I'd experienced all the action and conflict (and not to mention steamy scenes) unfold between Jask and Phia, a feeling of deep unease crept over me at the prospect of the next book. Because while we have a Happy For Now, Ms. Pryor has laid the path for an even darker journey into the next book, a taster of which is provided at the end of Blood Torn. I read the first chapter horrified, then gasped as it came to an abrupt end. Because, although disturbingly dark, I was so embroiled in the lives of the characters of Blood Torn, so wrapped up in their world, that when I got to the next part of the story, I simply wasn't ready to leave Blackthorn. Alas, I shall just have to wait until Blood Deep is released. Or read all three books again.

Once again, a fabulous instalment from Ms. Pryor. Absolutely spectacular.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story teller and characters you can believe in., 5 Mar 2014
These books are getting better as they go along - so glad I persisted with the first one. I think these are the best sex scenes I have read since the Psy-changeling series which is another firm favourite of mine. Can't wait for book four.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, don't hesitate buy this series!, 1 Mar 2014
This review is from: Blood Torn (Blackthorn Book 3) (Kindle Edition)
So far so amazing! I read a lot of this genre, and this is one of my favorite series! I love this bad Lykan. All the males in this trilogy are strong, intelligent, masculine and possessive. This book was great because the heroine was fiesty and the banter in the books were great. He was always like do I need to tell you twice. Hot. Buy these books. I'm just about to retread the series. Great price too! The world building is amazing, cannot wait for book foor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark, sexy & thrilling, 22 Feb 2014
This review is from: Blood Torn (Blackthorn Book 3) (Kindle Edition)
If you've read any of the Blackthorn books (and if you haven't, seriously, WTH are you waiting for?!), then you know what I know, which is that author Lindsay J. Pryor is crazy good at this writing stuff. Her world-building skills are scary-impressive, her writing style is crisp and confident, and her characters are dark and deadly. And once her books sink their teeth into you, there's no going back. You're hooked. For life.

In Blood Torn, the attention shifts from the vampires to the lycans, and being the lycan/shifter lover that I am, I couldn't have been more thrilled by this. From day one, I've been itching to read the lycans' story, and I'm happy to report that it was well worth the wait!

Phia McKay has just discovered she's a serryn, a rare and powerful witch gifted (or cursed, depending on how you look at it) with blood that is fatal to vampires. She barely has time to process the sudden change in her circumstances when she runs afoul of Blackthorn lycans and is whisked off to their super-secret compound as their prisoner. The lycans, you see, are in need of something only a serryn can get for them, and that makes Phia their new favorite person.

The Blackthorn lycans are, hands down, some of the best I've read about. Though they take a concoction to keep them from actually shifting (for everyone's safety), they've still got that wild animal edge that makes lycans my favorite supernatural race. Lindsay Pryor did a spectacular job showcasing the lycans' strengths and making it very clear that they are every bit as badass and formidable as their vampire counterparts. What really wowwed me, though, was the overall pack dynamic. This is a healthy, tightly knit, and fully functioning pack that has stood together through the best and worst of times. They have their drama moments, sure, but everyone is invested in the pack's future, and be extension, each other. I loved that.

Leading the lycan charge is Jask Tao. As the Alpha, the pack's fate rests on his shoulders, and fortunately for everyone, Jask's shoulders are broad, firm and more than up to the task. Out of all the Blackthorn heroes we've met so far, Jask was the most warm and fuzzy, and all that really means is that he kept his dark side more tightly under wraps than, say, Kane or Caleb from books one and two - but Jask did have a dark side! Very much so. It's become a trademark of Pryor's male characters, and it's one of the many reasons her books are among my favorites. She writes tall, dark, and dangerous better than almost any author I know, and Jask was so....wow. Just, WOW.

Phia, now - Phia was a challenge. She's all prickles and stings, especially in the beginning, with a bad habit of lashing out and saying all the wrong things. There's a reason for that, but getting to the heart of who Phia really is requires readers to cut through multiple layers of scar tissue. If you're like me and enjoy flawed characters, this won't bother you, but if you're looking for a heroine you can immediately relate to, Phia might be a tough pill for you to swallow. What made the difference for me, I think, was Jask. He saw something in Phia that I didn't (at first), and because HE saw redeeming qualities, I wanted to as well. I simply had to know what made this girl tick, and if she was as worthy of Jask's time as he thought she was. And you know what? SHE WAS. Phia turned out to be one helluva leading lady. As the new serryn, she is a Very Important Person in the Blackthorn world, and like the characters from the other books, we haven't seen the last of her. EVERYONE in this series has an unfinished and ongoing story, to some degree or another, and Phia is no exception.

Like the rest of Pryor's writing, the romance has a deliciously dark edge to it. There are no wasted moments, no ho-hum scenes. Phia and Jask meet, sparks fly, and they keep flying. Their relationship is a sexy, surprising, totally perfect thrill ride.

The real icing on this awesome cake, though, is seeing all the different story threads start to come together. THIS is the book where it really hits you - when you begin to understand why there haven't been any clear-cut HEA's up to this point. Because there can't be. With each book, the groundwork is being laid, leading up to what is sure to be an epic showdown between the third species inhabitants of Blackthorn and the Big Bad(s) who are determined to wipe them out.

Blood Torn was everything I hoped it would be and so much more. The entire series has rocked my socks off and I can't WAIT to see what happens next!

4.5 Stars ★★★★1/2
ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 21 Feb 2014
S. Adetoro "Sharonmanc" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood Torn (Blackthorn Book 3) (Kindle Edition)
This is the 3rd in the series from British Paranormal Romance Author Lindsay J Pryor. If you have not already read the other 2 then I highly recommend that you do.

The plot is well thought out, with lots of twists and turns, and the scenes set in the previous 2 books are all brought together here. I love the rich characters, the tension and the relationship between the 2 main characters. I cannot fault the book or the series. I read it from cover to cover in one day as I just could not put it down.

Fantastic home grown British talent at it's best

5.0 out of 5 stars Book three in the Blackthorn series and it has yet to disappoint!, 21 Feb 2014
The Demon Librarian (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
When it comes to Paranormal Romances, there are certain things I want: One, a smoking hot guy to lust after (don't judge!). Two, an awesome female character to root for (sistas unite!). Three - and this one might not be as important to others, but it is vital to me - a tight plot filled with action and adventure and all kinds of paranormal awesomeness to ensure the book is as enjoyable out of the bedroom as it is within.

This series has all of that, and more. It also has a dark and dangerous vibe to it that's just impossible to resist. For example, let's look at the men folk. Now, we all like a bad boy character now and then, right? Well, what you need to ask yourself here is, how bad can you handle? Because Pryor ain't messin' around here, guys. Her bad boys are seriously bad. Anti-heroes, almost. They do shocking things, violent things, cruel things. Sometimes to the heroine. And then the next minute, they'll risk everything to pull some super protective manoeuvre that has your jaw dropping open and your heart all a-flutter. And before you know it, you're head over heels and in way over your head. They're addictive, sinful, carnal.

And I freakin' love it!

Next, the ladies. Well, as you can imagine, no dainty wallflower is going last long around the kind of guys I just described. And nor would they want them to. The women in this series are just as badass as the men. Often misunderstood, sometimes not quite as tough as they would like to outwardly project, but they're always, ALWAYS, a perfect match. Able to stand toe-to-toe with their honey, safe in the knowledge that although everyone else should be scared of him, he would never hurt her.

And I'm happy to report that BLOOD TORN is no different to the usual formula. We have alpha werewolf Jask and newly turned Seryn Sophia battling it out to see who will come out on top, and with their heart still intact. Sophia finds herself an unwilling guest at Chez Wolf and is willing to try anything and everything to escape, but Jask is a wolf with a purpose, a much higher purpose - the fate of his entire pack is at stake, and Sophia might just be the only person who can help them. Whether she wants to or not...

Jask and Sophia were fantastic, easily one of my favourite couples so far, although I think my heart will always belong to Kane (you never forget your first, right?). Their passion blazed hotter than the sun. Pryor certainly knows how to write a sex scene, that's for damn sure! She also knows how to take readers on a journey with her characters, and to show the evolution of a relationship from natural enemies, to loyal comrades. And that's what her couples seem to end up - as a team. A fearsome duo. They don't quite walk off into the sunset Happily Ever After, not yet. Instead, all the partnerships being forged appear to be leading us to some kind of prophesised end-of-life-as-we-know-it conclusion, which is set to reveal itself in book four, and I simply cannot wait!

Highly recommended to all fans of dark paranormal romance.

4.5 Stars ★★★★1/2
ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blackthorn Brilliance!, 21 Feb 2014
This review is from: Blood Torn (Blackthorn Book 3) (Kindle Edition)
An enthralling and emotional journey from start to breathtaking end!
Blood Torn is book 3 in the critically acclaimed Blackthorn Series and is the first introduction into the lives of the lycan, another of the third species. Having adored and swooned over the dark and broody Blackthorn vamps I wasn’t expecting to have a favourite book of the series, but Blood Torn is it.
In Blood Shadows and Blood Roses the reader is gradually introduced into the world of Blackthorn and the prophecy which is key in the battle for control. Blood Torn combines all of these threads and begins to merge them together, yet creates further dilemma on an epic scale. This time we are taken deeper into Blackthorn where the story becomes less about calculation and control and more about survival.
Lycan leader Jask Tao will do anything to defend his pack. Having given evidence against the TSCD, betrayed Jask has made his pack vulnerable and the only way to defend them would be to find a serryn to help them. Serryn’s are rare, the risks are high and failure is not an option.
Sophia thrives on bringing down vamps on her quest for vengeance and she’ll do whatever it takes to succeed. Discovering she has become a serryn, a rare witch with lethal blood, might have made her task easier, but it also means her sisters are at risk. When she’s held captive by lethal Jask, she’ll do anything to escape to find them and kill those responsible for their harm.
Jask clings to control in Sophia’s presence. He lost it once and won’t fail his pack again, but Sophia and her smart mouth continue to challenge him in ways no other would dare. She pushes his buttons in so many ways and she’s the one he needs to tame, but the clock is ticking.
I went through the whole gamut of emotions when reading Blood Torn. Jask and his loyal dedication, his role as protector, adds a deeper layer of emotion to this series. I so, so loved Jask and the feisty Sophia. She really is a delight and oh, if Jask was a lycan of the furry kind, how I would want to ruffle his fur! I took them both to heart. The sharp witty banter had me chuckling, the intense sensuality took my breath, and the story stole my tears. Lots of them!
Expect the unexpected and then some! Beautifully written, Lindsay J. Pryor adds her jaw dropping twists and with the addition of a few familiar Blackthorn residents making an appearance, prepare to be stunned.
Fabulous.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes the series even stronger, 22 Feb 2014
This review is from: Blood Torn (Blackthorn Book 3) (Kindle Edition)
This is the third in the authors Blackthorn series. I absolutely loved the previous two books, Blood Shadows and Blood Roses. This one did not disappoint!

I strongly suggest starting the series from book one, as there are storylines you need to know to fully understand what's happening in this book.

Each book introduces us to a different couple who will play an important part as the series continues. I know from the author that we have one more couple to meet, and an introduction to that couple is featured at the end of this one.

In Blood Torn we are introduced to Jask Tao, leader of the Lycans. He is a tough leader, doesn't take any nonsense, and is known for his decisive decisions when it comes to the running of his pack.

Sophia discovers very early in the story that she has become a serryn, and knows exactly what this means. As a result she is desperate to escape from Jask's clutches and find her sisters. She will do anything to get to them, even if it puts her own life in danger.

The story is a whirlwind of activity from start to finish. The emotion, the action, the intertwined stories. Everything is written with the same amazing flow we have come to expect from this author. She instantly draws us into the story, into the characters and from that moment on we are invested in their lives.

We once again meet characters from the previous books. You can start to see the way the characters are going to come together and work in the future books. But I am sure the author is going to put them through plenty of twists and turns along the way to throw us off the scent. Every time I think I have figured out what's happening she goes and writes something which shocks me.

I cannot express enough how much I love this author and her imagination. To bring her vision onto the pages of the stories she writes, in the way she does, is nothing short of amazing. I honestly count her as one of my favourite authors, producing one of my favourite series, and one I cannot wait to read in the future.

A highly highly highly recommended book, and indeed series, from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!! Can't wait for the next book to ..., 15 July 2014
This review is from: Blood Torn (Blackthorn Book 3) (Kindle Edition)
Brilliant!! Can't wait for the next book to come out.

Blood Torn (Blackthorn Book 3)
Blood Torn (Blackthorn Book 3) by Lindsay J. Pryor