5.0 out of 5 stars perfect
WOW FACTOR
==========
The picture is simply amazing. Crisp, detailed and captures the colours perfectly. The set itself, is thin and compact. I sat on the couch and couldn't believe how poor the prior set had been in comparison. Samsung UE32F5000 32-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD LED TV

FREEVIEW
========
I wasn't aware that many Freeview...
Published 6 months ago by the lambanana

1.0 out of 5 stars No good sound quality
This is a very basic model its very blurr for moving pictures. No good sound quality. I would prefer LG42LB580V 42-inch good value for money.
Published 2 months ago by Sam

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect, 21 Mar 2014
the lambanana "the lambanana" (liverpool) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sony KDL40R483 40-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Television with Freeview - Black (Electronics)
WOW FACTOR

FREEVIEW
========
I wasn't aware that many Freeview channels broadcast in HD. And for free. This little add on has made me question whether I continue subscribing to Virginmedia (especially as I hate sports) so technically, and this is what I told my wife to justify the purchase, technically it's a potential money saver.

MONEYSAVER
==========
Yes, moneysaver. I said it twice but my wife still wasn't convinced.

CONNECTING WITH TABLETS/PHONES
==============================
Not sure that this is the KILLER feature. I did use it. I thought it was really good. But it's not something that I think most people would regularly use.

MID RANGE
=========
It's not a cinema experience but it's not a cinema experience price.

SOUND
=====
Special mention should be made of the sound. It is really really good. Not too base-ey, not too tin-ey. Sony have got this right.

RECOMMENDED
===========
Good price, looks good, and superb quality. Yes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good telly, 22 May 2014
I bought this TV for my Mother (I already have the 40 inch version myself), they are straight forward to set up, The HD broadcast picture is excellent, good even in non HD and the sound is pleasant, not scratchy or hollow.
You can also connect a hard drive to record programmes but there is only one tuner.
Looking for a simple Telly? I would check out this TV.

4.0 out of 5 stars A World Cup Winning Performance from a TV, 18 May 2014
Jack Percival (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Since getting my hands on my first Sony Bravia TV a few years ago I've always been impressed by the excellent picture quality delivered by these sets. Therefore when I was offered the chance to review this example from the R4 series new for 2014 and competitively priced in the mid range just in time for the World Cup I jumped at the chance.

The first thing that struck me about this TV on getting it out the box was quite how light and slim it is. Compared to my 2 and 4 year old similar models this really is an excellent example of how modern TVs should be designed - very little frame, depth or weight giving maximum space for picture. Once you've strapped on the stand it sits firmly upright - you don't need to worry about a heavy duty table to go underneath this one. However, for those who've seen the higher end Sony 2014 models you'll be a little disappointed - none of that high quality brushed silver look has made it onto this models, the shape and lack of frame is there but unfortunately that's not.

What has successfully made it across from the higher end models though is great screen clarity. Colours are well represented, even blacks which some LED sets struggle to show beautifully. The TV also promises to sharpen the picture artificially using digital processing, something that I found made HD television look particularly crisp and clear though perhaps worsened the look of lower quality content slightly. For content there's a Freeview HD tuner built in as well as some smart TV type functionality.

The choice of this smart TV type functionality seems to me to be a little odd, with no catch up services offered as part of the software. Instead Sony appears to have offered photo and screen sharing as part of the package. The photo sharing is great and works cross platform - allowing you to view content on an attached USB or streamed wirelessly. Screen sharing is only for android devices that accept miracast but after a slightly difficult set up process offers a full stream of the android screen, a nice touch. The only other thing that saves the lack of catch up functionality is the ability to record programmes to an attached USB storage device - a nice to have.

What else is great to see from this TV is that they haven't skimped on the sound. While many smaller and thinner sets struggle to deliver adequate noise, particularly at lower frequencies this one doesn't suffer from those issues. While the sound isn't what you'd get from a sound bar or a separate home cinema system it is more and better quality than some sets I've used.

So will this make an excellent companion for this summers action in Brazil? In short, yes, the picture and sound quality will deliver everything you need as long as you're watching live and not catching up later. So if you've got a separate device for that - be it Sky Plus, YouView or the like - then look no further, this comes highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent tv at budget price, 29 Aug 2014
The 483a is 2013 model ,483b is 2014, do not be caught out.The new model has led back lighting whereas the previous model is edgelit which makes a big difference to the picture blacks and whites tones.The only criticisms are [a] only 2 hdmi sockets and[b] when a wall mount is used the scart socket [if you need it] is covered up completely

5.0 out of 5 stars My main concern had been the sound quality as previous buys from Toshiba had poor sound and the noise of the vibration from the, 1 Sep 2014
Only had this TV a few weeks but so far it has proven to be what I was looking for. Pity I couldn't get in in white. My main concern had been the sound quality as previous buys from Toshiba had poor sound and the noise of the vibration from the speakers was intolerable. This Sony has no sound problems, as yet. It's light weight, so it was easy for me, a woman of a certain age, to unpack and assemble, it has a sturdy, well-designed unobtrusive stand. I would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 24 July 2014
I bought this for my brother so this reivew is from him.

He says it is excellent and meets all their needs and is very easy to use. Very lightweight and sleek looking. As he has a hearing problem it was essential to have a TV with good sound and he says the sound on this is excellent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Well Packaged but if it gets to you then it's a good TV!, 4 Sep 2014
The first and second of these TV's i had delivered arrived broken but third time lucky the TV arrived safely and amazon refunded me the cost of return postage for the others.

Setup was very easy, the TV weighs less than 10KG and only two simple screws to secure the base but it's sturdy enough. Tuning and setup was simple as expected from a Sony TV.

The SD image quality isn't great, the up-resolution really isn't the best but the HD TV channels have a good picture.

Although not a 'SMART' TV, this TV does include a Wifi Transmitter built in allowing for you to send files from say windows media player straight to the TV. My favourite thing which took me by surprise is that you can plug a Memory Stick/HDD into the USB on the back and play almost any domestic video format in a variety of containers/codecs, with what appears to be a fairly good decoder.

5.0 out of 5 stars For somebody who just wants a good basic TV this is ideal, 21 Sep 2014
For somebody who just wants a good basic TV this is ideal. The picture quality is excellent as is the sound - despite some reviews criticising it. I have a hearing problem and the sound is clear with a more than adequate volume range. There are some minor areas of concern but not sufficient to reduce a five star rating. The Remote Control is smaller than my previous SONY TV but is manageable with care. The main complaint is that the Instruction 'Manual' is limited in the extreme. fortunately the TV virtually sets itself up when power is turned on the first time. One very useful feature is the 'reset' command which is handy if you have dabbled a little too far in the settings - just select it and the TV reverts to the Factory settings

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent screen at an affordable price, 25 Jun 2014
RM/TM (UK.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I received this TV for review I wasn't expecting a great deal. After all it's not a smart model, no 3D, and at the lower end of the Sony price range so there must be some picture compromises, right? I'm pleased to say I was wrong. It does all that one could expect of a set at this price range and a lot more.

On unboxing the unit the first thing you notice is how light the panel is. It's slim and even when attached to the stand, a simple screw assembly, easy for just about anyone to move into position. The other thing you notice is how small the bezel is. Certainly no more than a centimeter wide.

At the back it has ample connections for hdmi, scart and usb inputs and connecting up your media box, cable etc is all very straightforward. It has a built in HD freeview tuner so those without SKY or Virgin can enjoy a plethora of standard and HD channels through their aerial socket. The TV will autoscan in the channels and setup is very painless. Picture quality through the aerial seems to be first class.

For those with a Virgin connection it's even easier, simply select which hdmi slot you have it attached to from the input menu button and all your channels are there waiting for you. The set was also easy to set up for control via my virgin remote.

The picture quality is excellent, colours are strong although I found them a little flat until I came across the "vivid" setting on the picture menu. This option transformed the look of the picture. Colours were outstanding, blacks very solid and contrast superb, The 100hz refresh rate, back lit led and Sony's motion tech also makes the picture smooth and devoid of pixellation. It's a joy to watch.

The sound for such a slim television is full with a surprising level of bass. Much better than my previous LG set which was a lot bulkier than the Sony. How they manage this is beyond me. I'm sure a soundbar would improve this further but its really not necessary unless you're looking for serious cinema surround sound.

I thought it's lack of smart feature would be a limiting factor but having read a little more about this it seems it wont suffer from a problem some smart tv users have which is their apps no longer being supported by the producer leaving them useless after a while. My Tivo box has all the apps I need and is regularly updated by my service provider.

One feature I do like is screen mirroring from my mobile devices. It;'s a simple process to synch your phone or tablet to the TV and stream content straight to your screen. It works well. Within minutes of me synching I was able to stream Netflix direct from my phone to the TV and the picture quality was really good. I'll confess I even played a bit of CandyCrush on it. Even on a 40 inch screen it's still fiendish. Although my laptop discovers the television I wasn't able to connect via wifi. I still haven't resolved this although it will connect with a cable easily.

Bearing in mind this is supposed to be a budget offering from Sony it does what it does excellently. Picture and sound quality are superb, connectivity is good and the set up is simple. If you're looking for a good basic television you'd do well to find better than this at the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Feather light, stylish and great picture quality, 24 Jun 2014
KMW (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The first thing you will notice is how incredibly lightweight and thin this TV is. I haven't wall mounted mine yet, but it should be a breeze to do. It's a very stylish TV with a nice slim bezel and metal stand which is strong and sturdy. There's not as much brushed metal used in this TV like the more expensive Sony's, but it's still attractively designed.

With also owning the Sony's mid range W-Series KDL42W705B, I already knew the excellent picture quality their latest TV's possess and I was again impressed with this entry level R-Series. This doesn't utilize the X-Reality PRO picture processor which enhances detail and colour, but it still offers superb picture quality with vibrant and accurate colours, and deep black levels. Viewing angles are similar to the W-Series and somewhat average but OK (The Samsung UE40H6700 is the best I've seen so far for viewing angles). Backlighting is uniform, DSE (Dirty Screen Effect) and motion blur is minimal when watching football.

Sound quality is good, presenting a pleasant and clear sound with reasonable depth. Like most of the latest slim TV's, you would still benefit from adding a sound bar. From personal experience, only the Samsung UE40H6700 actually reproduces sound closer to that of the old but excellent sounding Panasonic Plasma sets of yesteryear when they were in their prime.

This particular model doesn't include any fully fledged smart functionality (which is why it's so light), so you won't find any catchup services, video-on-demand, DLNA media playback, web browser or apps etc. The TV does have Wifi, but there doesn't seem to be any option of configuring the connection, apart from an on/off menu and a menu for the "renderer function", which appears to be intended for viewing media from a compatible Sony smartphone or camera etc (which I don't have). The ethernet port allows a network connection, but this seems to be for firmware updates. Wifi direct seems to work fine for sending files to the TV, but screen mirroring does not work with my Samsung Galaxy Note 3, even though it's Miracast-compliant. Photoshare works OK, but it's really just a gimmicky feature, and something which can be done without using a TV, although it may be useful to someone. You can connect a hard drive via the USB ports which then allows you to record and playback TV, which is a good feature and works well.

Overall, I think this is an excellent TV that should fit perfectly well for anyone looking for a straightforward television without all the bells and whistles of a smart TV. If you are looking for a smart TV though, then I would highly recommend the latest Samsung or LG TV sets over Sony, due to media compatibility issues and slightly less intuitive interface.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›