5.0 out of 5 stars perfect
WOW FACTOR
==========
The picture is simply amazing. Crisp, detailed and captures the colours perfectly. The set itself, is thin and compact. I sat on the couch and couldn't believe how poor the prior set had been in comparison. Samsung UE32F5000 32-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD LED TV

FREEVIEW
========
I wasn't aware that many Freeview...
Published 7 months ago by the lambanana

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Build Quality, poor viewing experience.
Published 9 days ago by Stephen A. Tattersall

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect, 21 Mar 2014
the lambanana "the lambanana" (liverpool) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sony KDL40R483 40-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Television with Freeview - Black (Electronics)
WOW FACTOR

FREEVIEW
========
I wasn't aware that many Freeview channels broadcast in HD. And for free. This little add on has made me question whether I continue subscribing to Virginmedia (especially as I hate sports) so technically, and this is what I told my wife to justify the purchase, technically it's a potential money saver.

MONEYSAVER
==========
Yes, moneysaver. I said it twice but my wife still wasn't convinced.

CONNECTING WITH TABLETS/PHONES
==============================
Not sure that this is the KILLER feature. I did use it. I thought it was really good. But it's not something that I think most people would regularly use.

MID RANGE
=========
It's not a cinema experience but it's not a cinema experience price.

SOUND
=====
Special mention should be made of the sound. It is really really good. Not too base-ey, not too tin-ey. Sony have got this right.

RECOMMENDED
===========
Good price, looks good, and superb quality. Yes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good telly, 22 May 2014
I bought this TV for my Mother (I already have the 40 inch version myself), they are straight forward to set up, The HD broadcast picture is excellent, good even in non HD and the sound is pleasant, not scratchy or hollow.
You can also connect a hard drive to record programmes but there is only one tuner.
Looking for a simple Telly? I would check out this TV.

4.0 out of 5 stars A World Cup Winning Performance from a TV, 18 May 2014
Jack Percival (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Since getting my hands on my first Sony Bravia TV a few years ago I've always been impressed by the excellent picture quality delivered by these sets. Therefore when I was offered the chance to review this example from the R4 series new for 2014 and competitively priced in the mid range just in time for the World Cup I jumped at the chance.

The first thing that struck me about this TV on getting it out the box was quite how light and slim it is. Compared to my 2 and 4 year old similar models this really is an excellent example of how modern TVs should be designed - very little frame, depth or weight giving maximum space for picture. Once you've strapped on the stand it sits firmly upright - you don't need to worry about a heavy duty table to go underneath this one. However, for those who've seen the higher end Sony 2014 models you'll be a little disappointed - none of that high quality brushed silver look has made it onto this models, the shape and lack of frame is there but unfortunately that's not.

What has successfully made it across from the higher end models though is great screen clarity. Colours are well represented, even blacks which some LED sets struggle to show beautifully. The TV also promises to sharpen the picture artificially using digital processing, something that I found made HD television look particularly crisp and clear though perhaps worsened the look of lower quality content slightly. For content there's a Freeview HD tuner built in as well as some smart TV type functionality.

The choice of this smart TV type functionality seems to me to be a little odd, with no catch up services offered as part of the software. Instead Sony appears to have offered photo and screen sharing as part of the package. The photo sharing is great and works cross platform - allowing you to view content on an attached USB or streamed wirelessly. Screen sharing is only for android devices that accept miracast but after a slightly difficult set up process offers a full stream of the android screen, a nice touch. The only other thing that saves the lack of catch up functionality is the ability to record programmes to an attached USB storage device - a nice to have.

What else is great to see from this TV is that they haven't skimped on the sound. While many smaller and thinner sets struggle to deliver adequate noise, particularly at lower frequencies this one doesn't suffer from those issues. While the sound isn't what you'd get from a sound bar or a separate home cinema system it is more and better quality than some sets I've used.

So will this make an excellent companion for this summers action in Brazil? In short, yes, the picture and sound quality will deliver everything you need as long as you're watching live and not catching up later. So if you've got a separate device for that - be it Sky Plus, YouView or the like - then look no further, this comes highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent tv at budget price, 29 Aug 2014
The 483a is 2013 model ,483b is 2014, do not be caught out.The new model has led back lighting whereas the previous model is edgelit which makes a big difference to the picture blacks and whites tones.The only criticisms are [a] only 2 hdmi sockets and[b] when a wall mount is used the scart socket [if you need it] is covered up completely

5.0 out of 5 stars My main concern had been the sound quality as previous buys from Toshiba had poor sound and the noise of the vibration from the, 1 Sep 2014
Only had this TV a few weeks but so far it has proven to be what I was looking for. Pity I couldn't get in in white. My main concern had been the sound quality as previous buys from Toshiba had poor sound and the noise of the vibration from the speakers was intolerable. This Sony has no sound problems, as yet. It's light weight, so it was easy for me, a woman of a certain age, to unpack and assemble, it has a sturdy, well-designed unobtrusive stand. I would recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Well Packaged but if it gets to you then it's a good TV!, 4 Sep 2014
The first and second of these TV's i had delivered arrived broken but third time lucky the TV arrived safely and amazon refunded me the cost of return postage for the others.

Setup was very easy, the TV weighs less than 10KG and only two simple screws to secure the base but it's sturdy enough. Tuning and setup was simple as expected from a Sony TV.

The SD image quality isn't great, the up-resolution really isn't the best but the HD TV channels have a good picture.

Although not a 'SMART' TV, this TV does include a Wifi Transmitter built in allowing for you to send files from say windows media player straight to the TV. My favourite thing which took me by surprise is that you can plug a Memory Stick/HDD into the USB on the back and play almost any domestic video format in a variety of containers/codecs, with what appears to be a fairly good decoder.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 24 July 2014
I bought this for my brother so this reivew is from him.

He says it is excellent and meets all their needs and is very easy to use. Very lightweight and sleek looking. As he has a hearing problem it was essential to have a TV with good sound and he says the sound on this is excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars but so far it is an absolute joy. I did my homework and looked at other ..., 20 Oct 2014
V. Wheeler (Scotland) - See all my reviews
My 14 year old Sony decided to go green last Xmas, also had white lines across it and the picture frame was reduced. I plodded on for 9 months with it but after one friend said I must be the last person in the UK with the old, bulky type TV I decided it was time to enter the world of flat screens. Only had this TV a week so don't want to tempt fate, but so far it is an absolute joy. I did my homework and looked at other makes but no one comes close to Sony in my view for both picture and sound quality. Anyone niggling on here about these must have a faulty model or absurd expectations.

A neighbour un packed and set mine up for me as I have bad arthritis and he did it so fast. The menu is so easy to navigate and you can play around with picture and sound settings very quickly. The High Definition is quite simply amazing..... if you enjoy wildlife programmes, you sure as hell are going to love this TV. I saw a mosquito on the BBC Monsoon series and had never realised that they are in fact full of iridescent colour.

This was delivered very fast by Amazon and unless it suddenly packs up on me I really don't feel I could have a better viewing and sound experience than this model provides (certainly not for this price anyway!). So if you are thinking of getting a new TV I strongly recommend this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Picture, 26 Sep 2014
I saw this set on display in my local superstore and it was set up next to other manufacturers sets including Samsung and Panasonic. The picture quality stood out better than any of the others. I have always brought sony TV's and found that they have lasted a long time. In fact I have just thrown away a working (with a free view box) sony (tube) set and the quality was still as good as when I purchased it ten years ago.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Build Quality, poor viewing experience., 13 Oct 2014
This TV is noticeably thinner than my current SONY LCD TV, which is good, but the quality of the plastic used in the bezel and the body of the TV is very poor, so it feels very flimsy (in fact, when I was repacking the TV there was a worrying crack). The TV also sits on a very flimsy stand, so that it sways disconcertingly when you touch it. The speakers are located in the underside of the bezel of the TV and produce notably poorer sound than my present TV (this is a problem with many LED TVs and would be fixed by the addition of a basic soundbar). All told the build quality of this TV is poor.

The picture quality is poor too; despite being a full HD TV on HD channels the picture appeared blocky, and was even worse on SD channels. This TV runs at 100 Hz but produces noticeably less smooth motion on even slowly moving pictures than my present TV which runs at just 70 Hz. Colours are lacking in punch; reds seem less rich, with sickly looking flesh tones, and cool colours appear washed out.

So, back in the box this TV goes. It is inferior in almost every way to my much older Sony LCD TV.