5.0 out of 5 stars perfect
WOW FACTOR
==========
The picture is simply amazing. Crisp, detailed and captures the colours perfectly. The set itself, is thin and compact. I sat on the couch and couldn't believe how poor the prior set had been in comparison. Samsung UE32F5000 32-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD LED TV

FREEVIEW
========
I wasn't aware that many Freeview...
Published 14 months ago by the lambanana

3.0 out of 5 stars Must have HD
I have had this tv for just 3 days but watching standard tv through a sky plus box has been with mixed results. Finding the right setting is near impos. Watching netflix in HD the picture is great and playing MK8 fantastic!! Cannot recommend unless you have HD
Published 5 months ago by David S.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect, 21 Mar. 2014
the lambanana "the lambanana" (liverpool) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sony KDL40R483 40-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Television with Freeview - Black (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
WOW FACTOR

FREEVIEW
========
I wasn't aware that many Freeview channels broadcast in HD. And for free. This little add on has made me question whether I continue subscribing to Virginmedia (especially as I hate sports) so technically, and this is what I told my wife to justify the purchase, technically it's a potential money saver.

MONEYSAVER
==========
Yes, moneysaver. I said it twice but my wife still wasn't convinced.

CONNECTING WITH TABLETS/PHONES
==============================
Not sure that this is the KILLER feature. I did use it. I thought it was really good. But it's not something that I think most people would regularly use.

MID RANGE
=========
It's not a cinema experience but it's not a cinema experience price.

SOUND
=====
Special mention should be made of the sound. It is really really good. Not too base-ey, not too tin-ey. Sony have got this right.

RECOMMENDED
===========
Good price, looks good, and superb quality. Yes.

5.0 out of 5 stars but so far it is an absolute joy. I did my homework and looked at other ..., 20 Oct. 2014
V. Wheeler (Scotland) - See all my reviews
My 14 year old Sony decided to go green last Xmas, also had white lines across it and the picture frame was reduced. I plodded on for 9 months with it but after one friend said I must be the last person in the UK with the old, bulky type TV I decided it was time to enter the world of flat screens. Only had this TV a week so don't want to tempt fate, but so far it is an absolute joy. I did my homework and looked at other makes but no one comes close to Sony in my view for both picture and sound quality. Anyone niggling on here about these must have a faulty model or absurd expectations.

A neighbour un packed and set mine up for me as I have bad arthritis and he did it so fast. The menu is so easy to navigate and you can play around with picture and sound settings very quickly. The High Definition is quite simply amazing..... if you enjoy wildlife programmes, you sure as hell are going to love this TV. I saw a mosquito on the BBC Monsoon series and had never realised that they are in fact full of iridescent colour.

This was delivered very fast by Amazon and unless it suddenly packs up on me I really don't feel I could have a better viewing and sound experience than this model provides (certainly not for this price anyway!). So if you are thinking of getting a new TV I strongly recommend this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good telly, 22 May 2014
I bought this TV for my Mother (I already have the 40 inch version myself), they are straight forward to set up, The HD broadcast picture is excellent, good even in non HD and the sound is pleasant, not scratchy or hollow.
You can also connect a hard drive to record programmes but there is only one tuner.
Looking for a simple Telly? I would check out this TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars good buy, 18 Dec. 2014
Biggest tv I've ever owned, set up very easy, good picture and sound, setting up the mirror cast feature took a while as the instructions are a little vague (my mobile is a Sony so that helped), all in all a good purchase and I would recommend it to anyone who is thinking of buying a new TV cheers sony.

4.0 out of 5 stars A World Cup Winning Performance from a TV, 18 May 2014
Jack Percival (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Since getting my hands on my first Sony Bravia TV a few years ago I've always been impressed by the excellent picture quality delivered by these sets. Therefore when I was offered the chance to review this example from the R4 series new for 2014 and competitively priced in the mid range just in time for the World Cup I jumped at the chance.

The first thing that struck me about this TV on getting it out the box was quite how light and slim it is. Compared to my 2 and 4 year old similar models this really is an excellent example of how modern TVs should be designed - very little frame, depth or weight giving maximum space for picture. Once you've strapped on the stand it sits firmly upright - you don't need to worry about a heavy duty table to go underneath this one. However, for those who've seen the higher end Sony 2014 models you'll be a little disappointed - none of that high quality brushed silver look has made it onto this models, the shape and lack of frame is there but unfortunately that's not.

What has successfully made it across from the higher end models though is great screen clarity. Colours are well represented, even blacks which some LED sets struggle to show beautifully. The TV also promises to sharpen the picture artificially using digital processing, something that I found made HD television look particularly crisp and clear though perhaps worsened the look of lower quality content slightly. For content there's a Freeview HD tuner built in as well as some smart TV type functionality.

The choice of this smart TV type functionality seems to me to be a little odd, with no catch up services offered as part of the software. Instead Sony appears to have offered photo and screen sharing as part of the package. The photo sharing is great and works cross platform - allowing you to view content on an attached USB or streamed wirelessly. Screen sharing is only for android devices that accept miracast but after a slightly difficult set up process offers a full stream of the android screen, a nice touch. The only other thing that saves the lack of catch up functionality is the ability to record programmes to an attached USB storage device - a nice to have.

What else is great to see from this TV is that they haven't skimped on the sound. While many smaller and thinner sets struggle to deliver adequate noise, particularly at lower frequencies this one doesn't suffer from those issues. While the sound isn't what you'd get from a sound bar or a separate home cinema system it is more and better quality than some sets I've used.

So will this make an excellent companion for this summers action in Brazil? In short, yes, the picture and sound quality will deliver everything you need as long as you're watching live and not catching up later. So if you've got a separate device for that - be it Sky Plus, YouView or the like - then look no further, this comes highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent budget TV., 18 Mar. 2015
First I must say that I did my research before committing to buy this product. There were cheaper options available for pretty much the same specs, but decided to buy this one based on two factors: It was a newer model and a better panel. And it shows too (pun totally intended).

The image quality is absolutely superb, better than any other screen I have seen in the price range. Images are clean and crisp and the back-light is fully adjustable. This gives you all the control in the world to customise your screen just the way you like it.

The frame/bezel on the screen is very thin and so is the stand. The TV is very lightweight, but feels sturdy when you carry it. This isn't a SmartTV but it does have some 'smart capabilities' which I am not interested in. I am using this with Chromecast and that is quite frankly all you should need. I will elaborate on that at the end.

Freeview works flawlessly and it even has the ability to record the digital signal. Simply plug in an external drive (HardDisk Drive or a USB Stick) on the dedicated USB port and you are good to go. I have yet to test the quality of these recordings, but I have read it's great.

The weaker points on this TV are the reason I consider it a "budget" product:

- There are only 2 HDMI ports on the back. This can be a problem if you own more than one entertainment electronic. I own two videogame consoles as well as a Chromecast device. This means hot-swapping is the name of the game. It's not a big problem if you are using the stand, but will be more of a pain if you use the wall mount. I can't even imagine how you would get back there when it's attached to the wall.

- The interface is sluggish. There is a noticeable delay to every input. Going through the menus is a nightmare at the beginning, but you grow used to it. It's not terrible, but it could definitely be improved. I must admit I have grown used to having to perform a TV Reset that fixes this temporarily. (Hold Arrow Up+Power and the TV reboots itself). This proves this is a firmware/software issue, so hopefully it can be fixed with updates.

- There is no "Live View" when going through the channels on the TV Guide. You can still hear whatever channel you are on at the moment, though.

So why 4 stars? This TV is clearly not perfect, but believe me when I say the panel is incredible. It wouldn't surprise me if it's the same panel they use with their higher end line of Bravias. I am not joking. Videogames and BluRays will rock your socks off like they never have before.
If I had paid the original price (£400+) maybe I would have given it 3 stars or maybe even 2. But at this price range, these problems are definitely overshadowed by everything else this has to offer.

Seriously, if you're looking for cheap and good quality a 40" TV, this is it.

5.0 out of 5 stars 40-inch PS4 screen!, 29 Nov. 2014
Traffic (Kiruna, Sweden) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I ordered this yesterday via Amazon Prime and it arrived today via City Link. Thank you for a speedy service Amazon.

I currently had a flat screen, 14 inch HDTV for use with my PS4, but was fed up with squinting at the screen and so decided to upgrade to a larger set. Looking around Amazon for a decent TV for a decent price I found this 40-inch HDTV down from £469 to £299.

The first thing that amazed me was how light and thin it is. It does feel a little flimsy but then again you don't carry these around in your rucksack do you? The stand is screwed in from underneath and though again it feels flimsy it is more than adequate for supporting your TV.

Setting up was easy enough, and I'm quite impatient when it comes to setting up things like this.

I don't have any satellite or cable TV services, I just purely use TV for the PS4 and DVDs. I plugged my PS4 in via the HDMI cable (not supplied) and turned on the TV. After a bit of trial-and-error I got the PS4 start screen on the TV and I was away.

Picture quality: Awesome! I am sure there may be more expensive HDTVs which might give a slightly superior picture quality, but this is certainly more than adequate for my needs and entertainment.

One reviewer said he had proplems with motion blur when playing games. Well, I having been playing FarCry 4 and Grand Theft Auto V via PS4 on this TV, and I had no proplems at all. There was no motion blur and the large screen size makes this a whole new experience when playing PS4 games. The graphics are beautifully shown on this TV.

You can wirelessly connect your PC, tablet etc. to this TV but I haven't attempted that yet so can't comment on it. I noticed that you can plug a Ethernet cable into the back of the TV but I am not sure of the purpose of this as you can't access the internet or download software updates for the TV. However, you can (and I did) get TV software updates by downloading them onto your PC, transferring the update file to a USB stick and plug the stick into the back of this TV. You then go to settings/customer support/USB update and follow the on screen instructions; quick and easy update to the latest software.

I did find the large screen caused a little eyestrain (after playing my PS4 all day) but I guess that's because I'm not used to watching a large screen like this and, of course, it gives off more light than my smaller 14-inch did. I'll just have to ensure I take regular breaks.

I have noticed that there is a thin black line on the screen right at the top, about halfway along. It's like somebody's drawn a 1cm line on the screen with biro or a backslash left over from some on-screen wording. I am sure it wasn't there when I first turned it on. It seems to have been present since I updated the TV firmware. Oh well, it doesn't notice after a while. At least it's not on the centre of the screen. I could send the TV back but I just can't be bothered >.<

Sound quality is great and packs quite a punch for this mid-range HDTV.

I am vary glad I chose this TV.

You can control your PS4 menu movements using the controller of this TV, which is nice. Though I turned that option off.

So, if your looking for a large mid-range HDTV for watching TV, DVDs or playing your PS4, then you won't go far wrong by choosing this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Playstation!!, 30 April 2015
This TV is perfect with a PS4! The Bravia link or whatever it's called means the two devices talk to each other. Turn on the Playstation and the TV turns on, no more hunting for the remote. You can even control the PS4 with the remote which blew me away!! You can use the remote when watching Netflix or YouTube and no more accidentally skipping when you put the controller down.

Also, the picture is perfect straight out of the box. I spent hours trying to calibrate my last telly and I was never happy with it. The Sony, on the standard setting is spot on, haven't changed a thing. I wouldn't advise putting it on auto with the Playstation as it will tend to choose game mode with doesn't look as nice and really isn't necessary as there are no problems with input lag on the standard settings.

The picture is smooth, colours are vibrant and real and the blacks are incredibly black with no loss of detail. You can rest assured that you're seeing your HD content the way it was meant to be seen.

The design and style are great, it looks and feels very slim and premium. The TV is so light I thought the box was empty!

PS, I got this used from the Amazon Warehouse in mint condition and saved about £80. I suggest you do the same!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Screen and Sound Quality, I Highly Recommend it!, 26 Dec. 2014
This TV is fantastic! The screen quality is amazing and the sound quality is crisp and clear. It looks great and was very easy to set up and use. For the price range i don't think you will get any better! Ive been using it for around a week and had no problems at all.
I use sky and so have not used the built in Freeview however all operations on the tv have been easy and clear.
My only criticism is the build quality although not terrible isn't great, its not really noticeable unless you are moving the tv and when set up it looks great so i don't not consider it an issue.
Overall I am very happy with this TV and i highly recommend it to others!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 9 Feb. 2015
I bought this TV for my mum as a gift! It came in a very secure box and delivery man was very nice. She was delighted and amazed at the picture quality, she was having problems with the controllers to her old TV and free view box and found the new controller easy to use because the free view is built in the TV! I already have a Sony Bravia 40inch and haven't been let down yet and have had it since 2011! So far so good