5.0 out of 5 stars Mr Oldfield's rock songs
By a stroke of good luck Mr Oldfield was asked to perform at the 2012 Olympics and this release reflects a burst of energy and it certainly comes across that all had a good time making this. It is beautifully reflective in parts; Dreaming in the Wind is particularly good and the upbeat Moonshine is one of Mike's catchiest songs to date. It certainly isn't Tubular Bells...
Published 9 months ago by Ben P

1.0 out of 5 stars Mike Oldfield just doesn't do vocal tracks well enough.
Looking back over the collection, with very few exceptions, Mike's vocal tracks invariably come across as simplistic and in no way feel like they came from the same pen as his more substantial, sometimes inspirational, instrumental works. This album lacks ideas and any spirit. I'll be parking this one at the bottom of the pile, and I get no pleasure from saying that...
Published 7 months ago by Graham Butler

‹ Previous | 122 23 2427 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Rocking Oldfield, 24 Mar 2014
This review is from: Man On The Rocks (Audio CD)
A good if not great album that leans more to the pop side than to the hinted at rock. It is Moonlight Shadow or Family Man brought up to date. The 2nd disc is worth a listen just to see how many of the songs are carried by the vocals (about half in my opinion) That's not to say that the there are any real stinkers on this just a few fillers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as I expected, 17 Mar 2014
This review is from: Man On The Rocks (Audio CD)
It's Mike Oldfield so I was hoping that this time I was going to listen something that was in fact his sound. Instead, I was listening a set of songs that left me with the feeling of some disappointment. I'll give it another chance but I was hoping for more from Mike Oldfield. Maybe next album.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mildly disappointing, but some gems, 16 Mar 2014
This review is from: Man On The Rocks (Audio CD)
I have every Mike Oldfield album, but I certainly don't have a blinkered view of Mike's output like some Fanboys out there.

The album starts pleasantly and improves, with Sailing, Moonshine and Man on the Rocks each getting progrssively better than the last track. The title track is to me the best on the album, with interesting chord progressions, and a lovely guitar coda when the track really cranks up. It's a strong track, and would grace several other albums Mike has released. However, what follows is at best mildly pleasant; at worst, filler. I have listened to the album repeatedly, and while it does improve with time, it still doesnt really merit anything like 5 stars. Luke Spiller has a good voice; it's a shame he has to sing lyrics which come straght from a 6th form schoolboy with aspirations to poetry. I have not tried the instrumental CD, so cannot comment on it.

I'm glad Mike did this album, but if this is the sign of future output, I won't cry if he hangs up his guitar.

3.0 out of 5 stars Um......., 11 Mar 2014
This review is from: Man On The Rocks (Audio CD)
All I can say is, this album bears no resemblance to anything I've bought in the past. It's okay but I want more than okay when I buy a Mike Oldfield album. Please make another instrumental album Mike when you get some real inspiration. You must know that your fans expect something very different to this, surely........?

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 Sep 2014
great album

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 31 Aug 2014
As expected

1.0 out of 5 stars ' Rocks ' ???? .... No it bloody does'nt ... ( BUT..)*, 29 Mar 2014
If you are a fan of the Eurovision Song Contest ... buy it ! ,
If you are a Mike Oldfield fan , stay well clear .
My patience is at an end now .
I played this effort several times , on my own , and I found myself looking over my shoulder , in embarrassment ,
to make certain that no one could hear what i was listening to , It is truly that bad , the music is every bit as bland as 15 other honest reviewers have stated , and the lyrics are completely inane .

I feel more than a little sad,
but I will never buy another Oldfield album .

...... Until the next one ..... Idiot that I am .

...Hi Again,it is about a month since I wrote my original review , and i have added the " BUT* " ...
Mikes current album certainly Does Not Rock ... BUT , do you know what does ?

QE2 !!! , Yesterday I was listening to the 2012 remaster of Mikes QE2 album , and most especially , I was listening to the Live version of Tubular Bells One , on the 2nd Disc of the new package.

It ROCKS like a bastard !!! , Probably the heaviest piece of music I have ever heard by Mike Oldfield .
I love it , but then , I love the vast majority of Mikes output.
Anyway , it prompted me to revisit the above review , with the simple intent of possibly introducing some other Oldfield fans , to a piece of music that they may possibly have otherwise overlooked .
I have the original vinyl of QE2 , and had no intentions of buying it on CD until I read the Amazon fan reviews ,and a coule of people mentioned that Mikes guitar playing is simply breathtaking on the LIVE cd.
I took them at their word , and I am eternally thankful ,
If, like me , you like , on occasion , to hear Mike let loose as a guitarist ? , and found yourself completely underwhelemed, by 'Man On The Rocks ', then this is for you !.

BOth discs are great , by the way , but the Live disc , is just wonderful .Wonderful,Wonderful,Wonderful .

Ommadawn , and Taurus are damn nearly as good as the aforementioned 'Tubular Bells~One - Live'.

If you want to hear Mike Oldfield actually ROCK ... , Buy QE2 ~ Deluxe .

Wonderful ! . :))

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 7 Oct 2014
This review is from: Man On The Rocks (Deluxe Edition) (MP3 Download)
Great cd

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 Aug 2014
Love it

4.0 out of 5 stars Bring back the old Mike, 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: Man On The Rocks (Audio CD)
I was really looking forward to the new Mike Oldfield album but when the cd arrived today I was disappointed, not his usual standard till I listen to the instrumental cd (good job I bought the deluxe version ) it was really good. I do miss what he used to do TB1&2,Amarok and Ommadawn etc. I like the old stuff but still I am 58.
Just to say the singer did have a good voice but I prefer Mike's music without words

‹ Previous | 122 23 2427 | Next ›