5.0 out of 5 stars Mr Oldfield's rock songs
Published 14 months ago by Ben P

Published 12 months ago by Neil C

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr Oldfield's rock songs, 8 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Man On The Rocks (Audio CD)
By a stroke of good luck Mr Oldfield was asked to perform at the 2012 Olympics and this release reflects a burst of energy and it certainly comes across that all had a good time making this. It is beautifully reflective in parts; Dreaming in the Wind is particularly good and the upbeat Moonshine is one of Mike's catchiest songs to date. It certainly isn't Tubular Bells and if you liked Moonlight Shadow and those vocal tracks on Discovery, then this may be up your street. Luke Spiller puts in a great performance too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Brief moments of Oldfield genius buried in a mixed bag of pop-rock songs, 1 May 2014
Neil C (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Man On The Rocks (Audio CD)
This is really an album of quite straightforward pop-rock songs, albeit very nicely produced and with some occasional stellar guitar contributions from the master himself. It is often difficult to tell that this is an Oldfield production, aside from those brief moments, and this album is more likely to appeal to those who prefer Oldfield albums like Discovery, Earth Moving and Islands, rather than the more progressive releases such as Incantations, Ommadawn, Amarok, Hergest Ridge and TB. I think the vocals are well done but the performances are a little melodramatic at times - perhaps the vocalist was trying to inject some life or emotion into what are often pretty mediocre songs...

The opener 'Sailing' starts the proceedings with a catchy, if rather repetitive and simplistic number and this is followed by 'Moonshine', a song with a great sentiment and some beautiful guitar touches. Then after this we have three really dull tracks, often (as in 'Castaway') with irritating over-the-top vocal performances. 'Dreaming in the Wind' is the first track here that has a classic Oldfield sound almost from the very start and for me it is the best cut. 'Nuclear' is so theatrical it is almost comic. 'Chariots' has good energy and 'Following the Angels' is very heartfelt and genuine, referring to the Olympic Opening event to which Oldfield made such a memorable contribution. This track should have ended the album because the final two tracks tread the line between cliche and dullness and ultimately do not satisfy.

In my view, as a life long Oldfield fan, it would have been better for him to have made a long instrumental (side one) and then used 'Sailing', 'Moonshine', 'Dreaming in the Wind', 'Chariots' and 'Following the Angels' to fill up the songs on side two, in the time-honoured Oldfield fashion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 6 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Man On The Rocks (Audio CD)
I took a chance and ordered this album on the strength of the single, "Sailing". I must admit, I had my fingers crossed, 'cos I've been caught out before! On this occasion, however, I'm so glad I took a chance. What a cracking album! I should say at this point that I am a 50 something whose favorite era in music is the 70's, particularly rock and pop. If your tastes are similar, you are going to love this album. From the first track, the a fore-mentioned "Sailing", through "Man on the Rocks", "Dreaming in the Wind", "Irene" and "I Give Myself Away", all cracking tracks in their own right! Luke Spiller's vocals are brilliant, Mike Oldfield's guitar playing superb, production overall wonderful. The only thing I can find to criticize - I don't like cardboard CD covers!
Seriously, just buy this album! It's the best!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful and emotional Mike Oldfield album, the pinnacle of his 21st century work, 17 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Man On The Rocks (Audio CD)
Bought it since the release. I'm a huge fan of Mike Oldfield, ever since I've heard Crises. I'm also a huge fan of his Light & Shade record that does not have many fans. But here, in Man on the rocks, he has surpassed himself in a number of ways. It's the first fully vocal album for Mike since very long time, probably since Islands in 1987.
It's bursting with emotions. You can feel happiness, sadness and nostalgia at the same time. It's the crown of his achievement and everything he has ever done. It's a conceptual work, meaning that it's not just a collection of randomly picked songs.

Every single song feels well crafted and carries certain emotions. Luke Spiller is such a talented and passionate young singer. Mike couldn't pick better "interpreter" for his songs! The tracks that move me really deep are Sailing, Man on the rocks, Moonshine, Castaway, Minutes, Dreaming in the wind, Chariots, Following the angels, I give myself away.
I have to say that Sailing, Man on the rocks and Dreaming in the wind are up with the finest and best Mike Oldfield songs he has ever done. There aren't many artists out there that could send the shivers down your spine like Mike did it in Man on the rocks song. What a beautiful and moving masterpiece. I love this man.

My wife is also a big fan of Mike Oldfield and she finds this album her favourite of all!
And I tend to agree, both of us are so attached to it. Together with Voyager it's been the most played Mike Oldfield album in our house of the last year, and will probably remain like that in 2015!

If you ever liked Mile Oldfield, even just some of his songs - by all means buy this album! Just be prepared to spend some time with it. It will be a beautiful and rewarding experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome back Mike!, 11 Mar. 2014
Lee Thomas (South Tyneside, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Man On The Rocks (Audio CD)
5 years after the release of the amazing 'Music Of The Spheres' I thought, as many other fans did, that Mike had released his final album and hung up his guitar for good. Then in 2013 and just after his stellar performance at the 2012 Olympic games opening ceremony he announces a fully vocal rock themed album.

This was not welcome news to some die hard fans, but this album is by no means another 'Earth Moving'

Instead what we have here is 11 tracks, (10 original Oldfield compositions and 1 cover song) featuring some of his finest and most powerful guitar solos ever. The vocals are sung equally as powerful by the wonderful newcomer Luke Spiller from the band 'The Struts' I'd myself hadn't heard of him, but I personally think he is one of the finest singers Mike has ever recorded with. His singing I found is like a mixture of Freddie Mercury, Mick Jagger and Bryan Ferry.

The songs on the album range from a happy light feel to a more darker and serious mood, via some beautiful mellow dreamy moments. It is like the vocal equivalent to 'Light And Shade'. A very mixed bag of pop, rock and chill out.

Lighter moments being Sailing, Moonshine, Minutes, Following The Angels and I Give Myself Away.
Darker moments being Man On The Rocks, Castaway, Nuclear, Chariots and Irene
Mellow moments being Dreaming In The Wind.

All 11 songs are well structured and many of them build to a beautiful soaring climax, highlights being the wonderful title track and Castaway.

I personally loved all the songs. But if I had to pick a weakest track, it would certainly be 'Following The Angels', an OK track I thought, but nowhere near as strong as the other 10 songs on the album. Which is ironic as it is about Mike's thoughts and feelings playing at the Olympic opening ceremony, which is what sparked him off recording music again.

As a die hard Mike Oldfield fan, I found the album to be a slight departure from his older albums but Oldfield has always been one to reinvent himself over the years and this album is no exception. I personally don't care if its not a multi-instrumental. If you buy the 2 disc deluxe version, you get the non-vocal instrumental versions on there. These should please fans of his older works as they work and sound really well without the vocals. It actually makes for a whole different listening experience.

I'll conclude with: Man On The Rocks features some of Mike's best songs ever recorded complete with some of his most beautiful and powerfully emotional guitar solos. Luke Spiller is a wonderful singer and I hope Mike hires him again. There is plenty of Mike Oldfield on this album despite it being a vocal album and he features on this one more than he did on the equally wonderful 'Music Of The Spheres'

Man On The Rocks is a welcome return for Mike Oldfield and hopefully the start of a new era of musical output from the great man.

5.0 out of 5 stars Man on the mend....Straight in at number 12 in the UK Top 40...Way to go Mike, 11 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Man On The Rocks (Audio CD)
Like most people here I have been a fan of Mike O since the onset. But you don't have to like all his music to be a fan. In fact Tubular Bells wouldn't be my first choice. Mike was so unhappy with the original recording of TB1 that he went back into the studio in 2003 and did it all over again. "Music of the Spheres" which to my knowledge was Mikes last release prior to MOTR was too off the norm for a lot of his fans although I do believe it hit number 1 in the UK Classical charts at the time.
So to be honest Man on The Rocks is way more than we could have hoped for. Take "castaway" for example..Listen to the way he layers the sound as the track goes on. At 49 years of age my wife laughed at me as I waited in anticipation for the release which in keeping with Mike's form was delayed as usual. When it arrived I was afraid to listen to it so waited for the right time. The instrumental version went first.After the second track I felt my eyes welling up. The familiar guitar wailing that only Mike O can achieve had me blubbering like a kid. So I decided not to,listen to the vocal version for a number of days. Every tune just grows and grows on you.To date I have not met one of my friends who are fans say anything negative about the album. Even my 16 year old lad wants a copy on vinyl. Long may it last and best of luck Mike in the UK Top 40 Albums. Crashing in at number 12 is an amazing feat for an old fella lol.
Buy this album...You wont regret it..

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't judge after the first listen, 8 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Man On The Rocks (Audio CD)
After the first listen I liked 3 songs and thought the album was garbage. After some subsequential listens, other songs started to grow on me, and after 6 days owning the album, I love it. Don't judge after the first listen, it needs more chance. Great vocal album, Mike, now time for a long complex instrumental on your new Mac Pro! 😃

5.0 out of 5 stars Good job Mike, 11 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Man On The Rocks (Audio CD)
It's been a long time since his last album and boy he more than made up for it. SAILING was the first single from the album that give us a taste of things to come MOONSHINE gets better the more you hear it MAN ON THE ROCKS the title track is good it makes you want to sit and listen to the whole album and you find yourself singing alone to the songs till you get to the last track I GIVE MYSELF AWAY I felt sad but in a good way so the only way to make me smile again is to play the whole album again and again until I learn the words to CASTAWAY LOL love the album I give it ten stars if I could thank you Mike Oldfield you made my day ......

5.0 out of 5 stars His Creativity Continues Apace, 6 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Man On The Rocks (Audio CD)
Known for his incredible ability to compose in a multitude of styles and genres, Oldfield unleashes a powerful new recording of sublime guitar solos, a mixture of rock, blues and even celtic-tinged tracks, all accompanied by The Strut's Luke Spiller, who is able to adapt his vocal style to meet the demands of each style of song. From the opening track, 'Sailing' which is heavily featured on Radio 2's A-List at present and is the carefree and catchy mainstream set-piece, through to some powerful Rock numbers like 'Castaway' with Oldfield's trademark wailing electric guitar, and 'Chariots' with some crunchy guitar and Bluesy Organ chords. My personal highlight is 'Moonshine' a hugely uplifting and gently building track with a terrific prolonged guitar riff that leads us through to the aforementioned Celtic section which breaks through to a gloriously celebratory guitar solo that is unmistakably Oldfield.

In summary, these are 11 brilliantly crafted and produced songs that act as a testimony to fact that Mike Oldfield is one of Britain's most diverse, creative and gifted composers, whether that be of 50-odd minute instrumental works or standard format commercial songs. Here's to another chart hit - and well deserved!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but not his best work, 3 Mar. 2014
Mr. R. G. Prizeman "Dickie 1" (croydon UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Man On The Rocks (Audio CD)
Like anyone who buys Mike Oldfield they are going to be a fan and know a lot about his music and probably like me have all the albums. Yes there are great albums beside Tubular bells,think of Ommadawn, Five Miles out and Crisis to name a few, and then the mediocre ones like Islands, and Heaven's open.
Man on the Rocks for me falls more into the Mediocre pile, starting with the very poppy and excellent Sailing, you get a very distinctive Guitar solo and and great vocal from Luke Spiller and is the strongest track of the album, and made the Radio 2 A Playlist.
The album seems to go on in a similar vain with Moonshine but gets a bit of a lift with the title track "Man on the Rocks" and to be honest this sounds like a very 80's,sound, infact you could be mistaken that you were back in the 80's, nothing wrong with that its just for me how I describe the general sound of this album.
This is not a bad album, but it is by no means a classic album hence the four star rating.I just can't say this is as good as Criss, Five Miles out or Tubukar bells, and saying it is, well that's a bit mad. If your looking for the classy sound of say Music for Spheres or the instrumental sound of Tr3 Lunas two of his more recent efforts which I have to say I prefer you will not find it here, if you love Islands Heaven's open or Earth Moving, this fits into that style. I have to say I was very much looking forward to this album, but have to be honest Mike Oldfield works better on his own as opposed to a cast of 1000's .
I love some of Mike Oldfield vocal tracks moonlight shadow, Five miles out, Tricks of the light all great, but sometimes like the lyrics from the latter 80's albums, the words are just not brilliant and that's apparent here.
The deluxe version gives you the album in instrumental form and it gives a different feel to the album, I would say for the better .I'm am glad I have purchased this but I am a little disappointed