Published 1 month ago by Will. B

3.0 out of 5 stars Very stripped Back
My first listen was very surprising as I did not expect GIRL to be as simple sounding as it is.
Bass solo here and a twinkle of Chic style guitar there, its all very stripped back and light on its feet which is cool yet it all sounds like there is very little depth. The Hunter and Happy stand out instantly, and on repeated listens in the car these two tracks still...
Published 6 months ago by WILDMAN

4.0 out of 5 stars and as always he delivers his brilliant brand of sophisticated and different pop, 25 July 2014
This review is from: G I R L (Audio CD)
Nowadays I think it's quite rare to have such a huge pop star how can actually play instruments and produce his own music. Pharrell played every instrument and was executive producer for his second solo studio album, and as always he delivers his brilliant brand of sophisticated and different pop. Though a lot of people would buy this album for the two massive singles 'Marilyn Monroe' and 'Happy' it is riddled with juicy pop tunes with an edge that reminds me of the N*E*R*D days. 'Marilyn Monroe' is one of the fav's on this album and it works brilliantly as the opener, combining sweet strings with a heavy and funky drum and bass back up. Then before 'Happy' kicks in on the fifth track there is 'The Hunter' the most N*E*R*D song on the album dripping with sexuality and achingly slow paced to enhance the seductive vocals. As the album progresses the production varies even more with songs like 'Lost Queen' with it's African tribal beats and a classically arranged R&B ballad 'Know Who You Are' featuring Alicia Keys. But the song that I feel is the most impressive, alongside 'Marilyn Monroe' is 'Gust Of Wind. It's trippy chorus ripe with auto-tune gives the atmosphere that the song needs and like 'Marilyn Monroe' it is laced with lovely strings.
Yes it is pop, yes it is the album with the most over played song on the radio but it is also Pharrell, one of the most inventive pop stars of the past 5 years. The pop music community always needs someone like this.

Essential Tracks:
Marilyn Monroe
Brand New
The Hunter
Happy
Gust Of Wing

4.0 out of 5 stars Funky, sexy and smooth, 4 Mar 2014
A. Marczak "mazzarak" (Mordor) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: G I R L (Audio CD)
Pharrell is really on top of his game here. He is the go-to vocalist, producer and writer, and this album will just stamp his name on the music hall of fame. Despite some smooth, funky, disco tracks that could have been written pretty much any year since about 1970, they are produced with a 21st century slickness that just makes you tap your feet.

Happy is still the stand out track, and would the one track I'd keep coming back to. But this is a party album, full of celebrity guests, funky beats and disco bass.

4.0 out of 5 stars Oozing class, 5 Mar 2014
This review is from: G I R L (Audio CD)
This album wasn't an instant success on the ears for me,the best albums in my collection weren't immediately great, but after a couple more listens it sounds better and better. I was also afraid that this album would be so commercially produced but its quite the opposite. The first few tracks are fairly reminiscent of his N.E.R.D. days and the use of a funky bass in the album is superb.

Hunter is a massive tune, from a very solid album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pharrell, the producer genius, 5 Mar 2014
Pete (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: G I R L (Audio CD)
All songs are great, Cant be any happier!!! My favourite tracks are Happy, Gush and It Girl

Five out of Five.

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece, 5 Mar 2014
This review is from: G I R L (Audio CD)
Just when I thought Pharrells chart-domineering era was over, he goes and released this gem. Honestly, I thought 'Happy' was going to be the best song on the album and there wouldn't be a point releasing a full-length LP.

Every song here has the potential to be a hit single.. And at 8.99, it's a bargain really!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not bought it.....but heard it, 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: G I R L (Audio CD)
Mr Williams just knows how to rock the house. This album is just very good........If you do not get up to this album you are dead inside!!!!

I very happy album full of summer soul funky beats and very little hip hop, a bit old skool 1970s, 1980s feel to it.....

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 reasons to be happy, 5 Mar 2014
This review is from: G I R L (MP3 Download)
Brilliant, feel good & funky album. Makes me feel like summer is on the way. Listened through a few times now & love it. Well done Pharrell!

5.0 out of 5 stars Yeah good!, 9 Mar 2014
This review is from: G I R L (MP3 Download)
Great album - If you like Disclosure and Daft Punk's albums this year you just have to buy this one. Winner!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pharrell Hits It Again...., 4 Mar 2014
Robert S. Whitaker (Lakenheath,U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: G I R L (Audio CD)
I've been a huge Pharrell-Neptunes-Nerd fan since the very first Nerd CD. I've had the pleasure of catching Nerd live twice and both times they ROCKED IT!!. Unlike his first solo project, GIRL took a few rotations to really grasp the quality of all of the tracks. I'm there now, the thing that I've always loved about Pharrell's music is that it is unique! He has hit again. And, oh-yeah, I've loved ''Happy'' from the first time I heard it. Now, I can play it to death.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album! Disappointed with price by Amazon though! Buy elsewhere!, 5 Mar 2014
This review is from: G I R L (MP3 Download)
Great album, really enjoying it. If you're a Pharrell fan, you won't be disappointed. Favourite tracks at the moment are Gush, Hunter and It Girl. Don't think the album is as good as the 'In My Mind' album which is a MUST buy, but you won't be disappointed with this.

Not happy with Amazon for it's pricing however. I bought this on the 3rd March for 7.49 digital download. Within 24 hours of that it's been reduced to 4.99. I'll be buying my music elsewhere next time, given that Amazon haven't responded to my request of a refund for the difference in price. Shame.

G I R L