5.0 out of 5 stars Spectacular
Wild Beasts continue to make beautiful, artfully crafted music, with this album continuing the refinement of their style which we have seen through their first three. A must have.
Published 5 months ago by Rebekah Prentice

3.0 out of 5 stars I wish I loved it
I totally loved the first 2 Wild Beasts albums, especially 2 Dancers. Smother was a bit tame but still good.
When I heard Wonderlust I had high hopes because it's a great song but the rest of the CD left me with a sinking feeling. It's a bit dull to be honest.
Published 2 months ago by B. Byron

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Spectacular, 2 Mar 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Wild Beasts - Future Perfect, 24 Feb 2014
Red on Black - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Present Tense (Audio CD)
The return of Kendall wonders the Wild Beasts is truly the arrival of spring following months of torrential deluge, There is a special ingredient about this British band in comparison to their contemporaries that suggests the upper reaches of the Premier league compared to the lower divisions of the crushingly indifferent indie music circulating at present. "Present Tense' is the long awaited fourth album from the Wild Beasts, and it builds on the electronica trend of the last album "Smother". Hayden Thorpe and crew took a decidedly "Kid A" style turn with the latter and abandoned guitars in favour of elegant sweeping synths, combined with deep seductive melodies and sophisticated soundscapes.

Some will argue that the dandy decadent edge of the band has suffered because of this which is probably true, but who is complaining when the music is quite this good. "Present Tense" commences with the single "Wanderlust" a thing of rich beauty, with crunching synths and a typically brilliant opening line "We're decadent beyond our means, with a zeal/We feel the things they'll never feel". Throughout the album the lyrical content is sharp, witty and often very funny. The vocal duties are as usual shared by Thorpe and the deeper tones of Tom Fleming. His performance on "Daughters" is stunning. It is one of the albums highlights, a sinister and slow piece of electronica that is utterly compelling, although the haunting penultimate track "New Life" is almost its match . This album also includes the bands most commercial moment to date in the lively "A Simple Beautiful Truth" a piece of pop perfection which would not go amiss sound tracking the sun going down on a Mediterranean Isle.

Throughout the quality never dips and the listener can safely be pointed to other songs which will intrigue and compel. Fleming again takes the vocal lead on "Nature Boy" and you sense this is the type of music that James Blake is struggling to make. It is cut from a dark hue and sees Fleming declare "Your only joy, only bliss/Your lady wife around his hips". Thorpe however matches ever move not least on the beautiful bubbling closer "Palace" a song that has already been subject in this house to more repeats than "Dad's Army".

"Present Tense" like all Wild Beasts albums reveals its charms with some discretion. On repeated listens this reviewer has also been drawn to "Sweet Spot" which is more like the Wild Beasts of "Two Dancers" comprising dual vocals by Thorpe and Fleming. As ever we forget at our peril the brilliance of the musicians behind the two vocalists Ben Little (guitar, keyboards) and Chris Talbot (drums, vocals) who brilliantly anchor this wonderful music. This year has already seen some great album releases but there is little doubt that "Present Tense" will occupy a very high place in the 2014 end of year polls, its that good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wild Beasts get better and better, 5 Mar 2014
This review is from: Present Tense (Audio CD)
I hold their previous 3 albums albums in high stead and was hoping this new one would be just as good. Thankfully it is, if not better.

Wild Beasts are a little different from other bands and better for it in my opinion. Introspective and reflective in places, the album is consistently strong and melodic. The odd burst of synth is a welcome addition and overall it is a very enjoyable listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 19 Jun 2014
Brian Hamilton "brianhamilton14" (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Present Tense (Audio CD)
Wild Beasts are a marmite proposition but I found that, with a few exposures to the Two Dancers I quickly went from 'WTF is this' to 'this is different' to, finally 'this is amazing.'

And so it continued into Smother and now this, Present Tense, their fourth album. All USP's are ticked, the falsetto voice playing counterproint to the husky drawl, the studenty type lyrics from youngsters high on literary references, the minor chord pieces that steam train along, slow speed but utterly unstoppable momentum.

Present Tense is more of the same we've come to expect but if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Again it takes a few listens to appreciate what's going on here, I find that my all time favourite albums are ones I didn't get or even like upon first listen and this is no exception.

Of the three albums I have I think this is my favourite, the sound is maturing along with the band and the vocals are tricksy, inspired and very clever. Let us not forget the musical backcloth to all of this, the sound is beguiling. Somehow low key and at times barely there but it seems to have a force that cannot be countenanced.

Heady stuff, not for the musically uninitiated but if you are looking for a keeper of an album and are beyond pop fluff and empty sentiment give this a whirl.

Awesome!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: Present Tense (Audio CD)
First I've ever heard of this band having bought the album following reading a review in a national paper. Do this quite often with varying results but this time it was an out and out winner. Every track is great but the stand out one for me is Mecca, which has got the lot. I can't see that you could ever categorise Wild Beasts nor should we try. They've got their own thing going on and credit to them. Just bought their previous album, Smother, and will now give this a good airing too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding work - dont just buy this one - the other albums are good too.........., 12 July 2014
This review is from: Present Tense (MP3 Download)
New to Wild Beasts? Not Sure? Well I can tell you their 2nd,3rd and 4th albums are amazing quality.

Present Tense is great - Mecca at its heart is simply one of the best songs written this decade. Epic.
Smother - the previous album is a work of genius - every song has an edge - each track a hybrid
of sparkling 80s pop synth and brooding melancholic rock sensibilities.
Two Dancers - outstanding record - more catchy than the others I suppose, but ever so idiosyncratic,
soft in places but also powerful and intense.

They are quite simply my new favourite band and that's only been the case for about two weeks.
I am listening to all 3 albums at once and I can tell you that they have a unique quality - an edge,
whilst also reminding me of such favourite acts as Anthony and The Johnsons (falsetto and in terms
of melancholic / surreal style) and even muse - rampaging tunes with a sense of heaviness
in places. The boys doing the singing get their harmonies just right but what stands out is just
the sheer quality of their song writing.

They are a sensitive band without being cheesy or over egging it - they also take risks on
each album. Rocking on but also making beautiful sounds that will lift your spirits.
They tackle lots of paranoid/ humanistic themes in their lyrics which strangely sits happily
with sometimes very cheerful or tinkly riffs.

If you are new to Wild Beasts then I would buy this, but at the same time get the previous two
albums and listen to them all together.....it really is that good.

Fave tracks on Present Tense are Wanderlust, dMecca, Pregnant Pause, A Dogs Life and Past Perfect.
Faves on Smother are Lions Share, Bed of Nails, Loop The Loop, Reach A Bit Further
Faves on Two Dancers, The Fun Powder Plot, We Still Got The Taste Dancin' On Our Tongues, Two Dancers (i)

Though I must add I struggle to find a weak track at the moment.

And no I have not listened to their debut yet........I'm saving that one for the summer holidays......

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album!, 7 July 2014
This review is from: Present Tense (MP3 Download)
Beautiful voice, great songs. A real gem that deserves to sell by the bucket load.

3.0 out of 5 stars I wish I loved it, 2 Jun 2014
B. Byron "mekon" (UK) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars wild beats, 25 May 2014
This review is from: Present Tense (Audio CD)
4th album from wild beasts starts with wanderlust and doesn't let up till last song palace vocals on all songs soar from start to finish stand out tracks are wanderlust daughters a dogs life and palace all in all a great album that reveals more each time you listen to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous music, 16 May 2014
This review is from: Present Tense (Audio CD)
It is not a surprise, lovely songs, amazing music, the presentation of the package, Very nice presentation of the disc

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›