5.0 out of 5 stars Spectacular
Wild Beasts continue to make beautiful, artfully crafted music, with this album continuing the refinement of their style which we have seen through their first three. A must have.
Published 9 months ago by Rebekah Prentice

3.0 out of 5 stars I wish I loved it
I totally loved the first 2 Wild Beasts albums, especially 2 Dancers. Smother was a bit tame but still good.
When I heard Wonderlust I had high hopes because it's a great song but the rest of the CD left me with a sinking feeling. It's a bit dull to be honest.
Published 6 months ago by B. Byron

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Spectacular, 2 Mar 2014
This review is from: Present Tense (MP3 Download)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wild Beasts - Future Perfect, 24 Feb 2014
Red on Black - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Present Tense (Audio CD)
The return of Kendall wonders the Wild Beasts is truly the arrival of spring following months of torrential deluge, There is a special ingredient about this British band in comparison to their contemporaries that suggests the upper reaches of the Premier league compared to the lower divisions of the crushingly indifferent indie music circulating at present. "Present Tense' is the long awaited fourth album from the Wild Beasts, and it builds on the electronica trend of the last album "Smother". Hayden Thorpe and crew took a decidedly "Kid A" style turn with the latter and abandoned guitars in favour of elegant sweeping synths, combined with deep seductive melodies and sophisticated soundscapes.

Some will argue that the dandy decadent edge of the band has suffered because of this which is probably true, but who is complaining when the music is quite this good. "Present Tense" commences with the single "Wanderlust" a thing of rich beauty, with crunching synths and a typically brilliant opening line "We're decadent beyond our means, with a zeal/We feel the things they'll never feel". Throughout the album the lyrical content is sharp, witty and often very funny. The vocal duties are as usual shared by Thorpe and the deeper tones of Tom Fleming. His performance on "Daughters" is stunning. It is one of the albums highlights, a sinister and slow piece of electronica that is utterly compelling, although the haunting penultimate track "New Life" is almost its match . This album also includes the bands most commercial moment to date in the lively "A Simple Beautiful Truth" a piece of pop perfection which would not go amiss sound tracking the sun going down on a Mediterranean Isle.

Throughout the quality never dips and the listener can safely be pointed to other songs which will intrigue and compel. Fleming again takes the vocal lead on "Nature Boy" and you sense this is the type of music that James Blake is struggling to make. It is cut from a dark hue and sees Fleming declare "Your only joy, only bliss/Your lady wife around his hips". Thorpe however matches ever move not least on the beautiful bubbling closer "Palace" a song that has already been subject in this house to more repeats than "Dad's Army".

"Present Tense" like all Wild Beasts albums reveals its charms with some discretion. On repeated listens this reviewer has also been drawn to "Sweet Spot" which is more like the Wild Beasts of "Two Dancers" comprising dual vocals by Thorpe and Fleming. As ever we forget at our peril the brilliance of the musicians behind the two vocalists Ben Little (guitar, keyboards) and Chris Talbot (drums, vocals) who brilliantly anchor this wonderful music. This year has already seen some great album releases but there is little doubt that "Present Tense" will occupy a very high place in the 2014 end of year polls, its that good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wild Beasts get better and better, 5 Mar 2014
This review is from: Present Tense (Audio CD)
I hold their previous 3 albums albums in high stead and was hoping this new one would be just as good. Thankfully it is, if not better.

Wild Beasts are a little different from other bands and better for it in my opinion. Introspective and reflective in places, the album is consistently strong and melodic. The odd burst of synth is a welcome addition and overall it is a very enjoyable listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing, 5 Oct 2014
J. Barber "ukjon77" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Present Tense (Audio CD)
This album is astonishing and is surely their best yet. It is a highly original, cohesive, addictive, minimalistic album and I can't stop listening to it from beginning to end - it is the sort of album you can get lost in.

The interplay between Hayden Thorpe’s falsetto and Tom Fleming’s rich lower registers really works on this album, the unique percussion excellent and the electronics warm and detailed, all wrapped up in superb production. There are some fantastic lyrics on here too; "In detail you are even more beautiful than from afar. I could learn you like the blinded would do. Feeling away through the dark" (from track "Palace").

Whilst all songs are excellent (there is absolutely no filler) and deserve to be played in album order, if I was pressed, my favourites on the album would be "Wanderlust", "Mecca", "Sweet Spot", "A Simple Beautiful Truth" and "Palace". I'd only heard "Wanderlust" and their first album when I saw them headline End of the Road festival last month and I was mesmerised with their set. This is a very beautiful maybe even uplifting album, but there is a detectable unease or discomfort in this album I can't quite place here, possibly as a band, a seductive chemistry that makes them all that more interesting.

Wild Beasts are very special and my new favourite band; Present Tense their masterpiece and a modern classic. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 19 Jun 2014
Brian Hamilton "brianhamilton14" (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Present Tense (Audio CD)
Wild Beasts are a marmite proposition but I found that, with a few exposures to the Two Dancers I quickly went from 'WTF is this' to 'this is different' to, finally 'this is amazing.'

And so it continued into Smother and now this, Present Tense, their fourth album. All USP's are ticked, the falsetto voice playing counterproint to the husky drawl, the studenty type lyrics from youngsters high on literary references, the minor chord pieces that steam train along, slow speed but utterly unstoppable momentum.

Present Tense is more of the same we've come to expect but if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Again it takes a few listens to appreciate what's going on here, I find that my all time favourite albums are ones I didn't get or even like upon first listen and this is no exception.

Of the three albums I have I think this is my favourite, the sound is maturing along with the band and the vocals are tricksy, inspired and very clever. Let us not forget the musical backcloth to all of this, the sound is beguiling. Somehow low key and at times barely there but it seems to have a force that cannot be countenanced.

Heady stuff, not for the musically uninitiated but if you are looking for a keeper of an album and are beyond pop fluff and empty sentiment give this a whirl.

Awesome!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: Present Tense (Audio CD)
First I've ever heard of this band having bought the album following reading a review in a national paper. Do this quite often with varying results but this time it was an out and out winner. Every track is great but the stand out one for me is Mecca, which has got the lot. I can't see that you could ever categorise Wild Beasts nor should we try. They've got their own thing going on and credit to them. Just bought their previous album, Smother, and will now give this a good airing too.

3.0 out of 5 stars I wish I loved it, 2 Jun 2014
B. Byron "mekon" (UK) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Swearing on 1st song, 16 Dec 2014
P. Long - See all my reviews
This review is from: Present Tense (Audio CD)
I like most of this album, but didn't know about the swearing on the first song until I bought it (usually I check things on Youtube, that was probably the clean version). I still think that the 1980's electronica is better, but this does make a pleasant change to a lot of the mindless stuff out there today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album!, 7 July 2014
This review is from: Present Tense (MP3 Download)
Beautiful voice, great songs. A real gem that deserves to sell by the bucket load.

4.0 out of 5 stars wild beats, 25 May 2014
This review is from: Present Tense (Audio CD)
4th album from wild beasts starts with wanderlust and doesn't let up till last song palace vocals on all songs soar from start to finish stand out tracks are wanderlust daughters a dogs life and palace all in all a great album that reveals more each time you listen to it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›