5.0 out of 5 stars Keep the cabinet closed!
I've been a huge fan of the author's work ever since reading The Ballet of the Bones and through all of his other books that I've read since, so I anticipated his latest release with a lot of anticipation. So much so that when it was released it jumped straight in at the top of my TBR list! I'm happy to say that the book was worth the wait and I wasn't dissapointed...
Published 5 months ago by M. Brookes

3.0 out of 5 stars Moments of eeriness and the opening chapter is the best.
One of those quirky little stories it's hard not to like but needs some work to really get it out there. At 204 pages it's too long. There's too much padding but; the heart of the story holds a half decent mystery I enjoyed unravelling.

Published 1 month ago by JK

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep the cabinet closed!, 1 Mar 2014
M. Brookes - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Undertaker's Cabinet (Kindle Edition)

To date the authors horror stories have been set in the Victorian era and all the natural oddities that comes with the time, this book diverges slightly from that trend and is mostly set in modern times, although there are some flashes back to Victorian London.

The story concerns the Moreton brothers, the latest in a line of family undertakers that have buried the local dead in their small town for many decades. Times have become hard and the business is failing and out of the blue a strange fellow offers to buy the business. This Jacobs is a very strange character indeed and Bobby Moreton discovers there are secrets to the family business in the form of a mysterious cabinet.

The set up works very well, but what really stood out for me was the Jacobs character, he is a fine evil villian. Through most of the book the horror comes from various strange occurences that build an atmosphere of menace, by the climax though this has become full on in a fnal dreadful scene.

As I've said I enhoyed reading this a lot, it's not perfect though and there were a few minor issues, the first was that there could have been more, especially from the Victorian scenes, I really wanted to know more about what happened, although in fairness it's easy to fill in the blanks from the events told in the modern period. Following on from this I thought that the ending could have been filled out more.

They are minor complaints though and this is a fantastic read and like his other books I recommend this to any fans of the horror genre.

4.0 out of 5 stars Atmospheric page-turner!, 14 May 2014
Lesley (County Durham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Undertaker's Cabinet (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed this story and found it to be a page-turner. I liked the characters very much and so I needed to know what was going to happen to them. I particularly liked Tom and Bobby, who run the undertaker's business, and the dialogue between them is enjoyable and believable (they sound just like my sons!). Jacobs, the villain ...booo... hisss ... was well-written too and I got a clear picture of him in my head, the slimy so-and-so.

I liked how the author created the Victorian atmosphere in the 19th Century parts of the story and then quite easily switched to an authentic modern voice in the present day parts. He also writes the macabre excellently, so vivid that I felt I was an onlooker during the final scene. There was just enough technical detail, too, of the undertaker's tools and duties to satisfy curious readers like myself.

My only criticisms are that, after all Bobby had gone through, I would have liked to have seen some hint of him tackling his alcohol problem instead of heading off to the off-licence. I liked his character and was disappointed to think that he would continue along this route to self-destruction. There were also a few typos near the end of the story that could have been fixed by more careful editing, but these didn't interfere with my enjoyment of the story.

I like this author and I will be reading more of his books, and I hope he continues to write many more.

3.0 out of 5 stars Moments of eeriness and the opening chapter is the best., 7 Jun 2014
JK "Julie K." (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Undertaker's Cabinet (Kindle Edition)

This is the story of a small American town and it's famous (infamous!) family of undertakers. Times have moved on since the days of family greatness and time hasn't been kind to the two brothers currently running the business. They're strapped for cash and running out of ideas until; they discover the real value of 'The Undertaker's Cabinet'. From this point the mystery builds and this particular cabinet holds more secrets than just the paraphernalia of funeral rites.

As a fan of contemporary horror I didn't find anything remotely scary about this story but it has moments of eeriness and the opening chapter is particularly good when it comes to scene setting.

I can't give the story more than a moderate OK. I'm leaving 3 stars and not 2 stars purely because the idea behind the story is good and there are a few moments when events become surreal enough they appealed to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read, 13 May 2014
This review is from: The Undertaker's Cabinet (Kindle Edition)
Just the title of this book appealed to me, and it didn't disappoint. I won't give away the details but if you like something which is a bit macabre with humour and a bit outrageous at the end and a good pace throughout, this is the book to read. I will defiantly be reading more David Haynes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Horror story, 9 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Undertaker's Cabinet (Kindle Edition)
Two brothers Funeral Directors are experiencing financial difficulties. I found it slow to start but it increases in tempo and soon you realise you are reading a true horror story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saying that I thouroughly enjoyed the book, 6 July 2014
This review is from: The Undertaker's Cabinet (Kindle Edition)
But. Is a strange tale, and what a vivid imaginatiion the writer has. Saying that I thouroughly enjoyed the book. I would reccommend it if only to hear your opinion.

3.0 out of 5 stars Loved the start, 8 May 2014
This review is from: The Undertaker's Cabinet (Kindle Edition)
The first 80% of this book was absolutely fantastic. Well written and described, I fell in love with the characters and couldn't wait to see what was going to happen next.

The last 20% (particularly the very last few pages) were a disappointment in comparison. The way it unfolded wasn't as 'believable' as the earlier part of the book and I kept asking myself questions like "How come no one else in the village has noticed this, considering how he could hardly blow his nose a few pages back without drawing a crowd?"

Some parts of it were amazing - the cat in the undertakers was inspired and this is why I've given it a 3. If it had ended the way it started it would have been a five star read.

Worth a read though, if only for the banter between the brothers.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Undertaker's Cabinet., 7 May 2014
This review is from: The Undertaker's Cabinet (Kindle Edition)
I was first drawn to this book by the graphics on the cover. The book did not disappoint and was a really great read. So well written and atmospheric that one could easily feel the characters, different time lines and locations. I will certainly be on the look out for more by Mr Haynes and I have already recommended The Undertaker's Cabinet to friends and my book club.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Undertaker's Cabinet, 23 Feb 2014
Joo "kuforum" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Undertaker's Cabinet (Kindle Edition)
This story is a little different to the author's recently released books in that it is mostly set in the present. Bobby Moreton's family undertaker business is going down the pan and he's fed up and wants out. But there's history and it wants to rear its ugly head.

Part of the story is set where the first Moreton is setting up the business. The chapters switch back and fore giving hints of what happened and why the new undertaker is in town and wants Moreton for himself.

The story starts off not too creepy. There are quite a few descriptions of what undertakers do behind closed doors and it probably wasn't a good idea for me to read those over lunch. The story ramps up and up and since you know you are reading a David Haynes horror book, you certainly aren't disappointed.

This author has a way with words and the language of the time and is a delight to read in a dastardly way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Creepy and disturbing - in a good way!, 23 Feb 2014
Ignite (East Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Undertaker's Cabinet (Kindle Edition)
The intriguing locked cabinet of the title stands in the basement of Moreton and Sons, Undertakers. The business is failing and Bobby Moreton is on the verge of selling. He changes his mind when a new and decidedly creepy undertaker comes to the town and makes to grab all the business. The story occasionally flashes back to the 1850s where we discover the origins of the Moreton family business and the obsession which led to the creation of the Undertaker’s Cabinet.

The author has built a solid reputation for writing Victorian melodrama in the horror vein and although much of this book is set in the present day it reaches back into Victorian times. It brings forward the original Jerome Moreton’s quest and is creepy and disturbing – but in a good way! Fans of David Haynes’ work are not going to be disappointed.

The Undertaker's Cabinet