5.0 out of 5 stars A true gem
Published on 9 Aug 2009 by Y. McLoughlin

2.0 out of 5 stars Erm..., well..., a bit dull to be honest
Firstly let me say that I deeply love, admire and respect Thay and his teachings, he is rose amongst thorns. However, I found this book to be a bit dull. Perhaps it's a bit simplistic for myself and it might have been of more use earlier on in my practice. So if you're new to the practice of mindfulness it might be worth getting, but then again I suggest just learning how...
Published on 30 Oct 2009 by Mr. M. Tyrrell

5.0 out of 5 stars A true gem, 9 Aug 2009
Y. McLoughlin (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
You do not have to be a Buddhist to benefit from this book. Master Thich Nhat Hanh shows how everyone has the potential to enrich their lives by becoming more aware of themselves, and by doing this how to find an element of happiness. My son gave me this book to help me through a deep depression, because it is now clinically proven that meditation is one of the most effective means of dealing with depression. The simple, straightforward methods detailed are easy to understand and put into practice, and I can promise anyone who wants to learn how to deal with their suffering that this book is a wonderful beginning. Thank you, Master Thich Nhat Hanh!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book, 2 April 2008
vandin (London - UK) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent book if you have either a beginner in meditation or advanced meditator. The author gives your tips on how to practice mindfulness meditation, that is how to incorporate it in your daily life. Being a begginner meditator myself I got caught in the process of sitting down and meditating, only to find out that I was running way from reality. This book teaches you how to meditate while you do your dishes, clean your home, listen to music, talk to friends.... It is s a great book. What this book does not is enter into discussion of the practice of mindfulness itself, therefore is better to have some knowledge of the practice before reading the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mindfulness in everyday life, 6 Feb 2011
What a beautiful, uplifting and above all very sensible little book.

It contains a mix of stories and true experiences, a compassionate and very accurate analysis of human nature, and precious and specific advice on how to achieve peace and mindfulness (e.g., by putting your biggest perceived achievements and failures into perspective, realising how strong the influence of circumstances was, and letting go of feelings of arrogance or dejection as well as freeing yourself from the shadow of these events).

I am by no means an expert but am now starting to try to put some of the advice into practice.
Perhaps I was at a stage in my life where I was ready, but whatever the reason, it makes perfect sense to me.
I hope it will to you too, if you're looking for peace with both yourself and the world around you.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good little introduction, 11 Jun 2010
I am relatively new to mindfulness though I am familiar with the evidence that it really can help you improve your life. Although I haven't read it all yet, this little book has been really good. I have found it flows really easily and enthuses you as the reader.

As with all materials on this topic, you have to really take the time to put what you read into practice otherwise you'll not see any benefits at all. I've been put off slightly since mindfulness is so different from my normal way of being and I need to get some practice in to get used to it but it is difficult to find a place in student accommodation without being disturbed.

All in all, a nice and easy introductory read.

5.0 out of 5 stars miracle of mindfulness, 1 Aug 2012
Honestly this book will change your life. It might sound incredibly simple but Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh explained how living completely in the present moment will change everything. Not easy, as it means not worrying about the future or having regrets about the past. Even simple acts like washing up and having a cup of tea can become acts of meditation when done in complete awareness of the present. Thich Nhat Hanh also discusses the fundamentals of Buddhism and and meditation. "If you cannot find joy and peace in these very moments of sitting, then the future itself will only flow by as a river flows by, you will not be able to hold it back, you will be incapable of living in the future when it becomes the present. Joy and peace are the joy and peace possible in this very hour of sitting. If you cannot find it here, you won't find it anywhere. Don't run after your thoughts. Find joy and peace in this very moment"

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS IS MY REVIEW, 18 July 2012
I HAVE BEEN READING AND LEARNING A LOT FROM THIS BOOK. ITS A SLIM VOLUME, SO EASY TO GET YOUR HEAD AROUND. ITS A GREAT WAY TO LEARN HOW TO MEDITATE & LEARN ABOUUT BUDDHAISM. I RECOMEND THIS BOOK TO ANYONE WHO IS IN TO THE NEW AGE. PLEASE BUY A COPY FROM AMAZON.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction to mindfulness, 23 May 2010
Iona Main Stewart (Odense, Denmark) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Unfortunately, I had to read this book in Danish translation, since the library wouldn't get it for me in English (I can't buy all the books I read). The English version is a translation from the Vietnamese, the author Thich Nhat Hanh being a Buddhist monk who wrote the book in 1974 as a letter to a teacher at a social school in South Vietnam from his exile in France.

The book exhorts the reader to mindfulness, i.e. to live in the "now", as Echart Tolle directs us to do, and explains how to do so. When you do the dishes, you don't do so to get them clean, but just for the sake of doing them. You do them with mindfulness and love for the process.

The author's words (even in translation) are imbued with peace and calm, and I found myself reading the book more slowly than I otherwise might have done.

Thich Nhat Hanh's text is inspiring and useful. Its essence is his advocacy of the importance of breathing exercises in order to obtain mindfulness, and innumerable of these are found in a subsequent section on mindfulness exercises as a whole.

A chapter enlightens us about the author Nhat Hanh who at the time of writing what turned into the book was committed to explaining to the Americans the necessity of stopping the bombings and killings in his country. He is a poet and Zen Master.

The final sections of the book are devoted to a selection of buddhist Sutras, which I couldn't really make head or tail of.

But all in all, an admirable book - a good introduction to mindfulness meditation.

I will now be trying to obtain other works of this author, preferably some that have not been translated into Danish, so I have a better chance of getting hold of them in English, for instance, "The long road turns to joy".

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 3 April 2013
Henry C. Archibald (Elgin, U.K.) - See all my reviews
A beautiful book. Short chapters, very encouraging advice on how to live well and benefit from mindfulness practice. Thich Nhat Hanh always gives easy advice to follow. If you do follow this advice, it improves your life. What more could you want?

5.0 out of 5 stars The Miracle of Mindfulness, 8 Mar 2012
... buy it ... read it.... you will truly enjoy it!!

Thats apparently not enough words to have review accepted.... but doesnt make it less true. you will enjoy the read and the reflection afterwards .

4.0 out of 5 stars Reminds you of what's real, 14 Jan 2010
Its a small book, and the quality of the paper and printing is not high compared to the cover. But that isn't the point of this book.

It comes from a time and a place where life was hard and dangerous compared to the pampered life we mostly live in UK/USA. Secondly we tend to live our lives in a frantic superficial rush surrounded by complexity, and again the context of the book is to remind us that life is in fact very simple.

This book can show you that your life isn't so bad - and hopefully will allow you to escape the western froth for a few minutes. Or it might change your life.