Format: DVD|Change

on 6 July 2014
I don't know what to say about series 4 that I haven't already said in regards to the other 3. This is one of my favourite shows on tv at the moment, and although it is a different entity to the books, that's how it should be. They are both as brilliant as each other and the show brings a dynamic that I don't experience when reading the books. I for one am very excited to see what they bring to series 5 when the episodes are finally shown on Alibi.
There is, of course, no doubt that the above line was uttered by Rizzoli in her usual sarky and straight-forward manner, which I have enjoyed immensely throughout the previous series – especially in combination with Maura’s offbeat fact-utterings and Rizzoli’s raised eyebrow. The chemistry, comedic timing and banter really is what makes this series. I have not read the books by Tess Gerritsen, so I cannot comment on the likeness, or lack thereof, to the books.

I do, however, have to admit that there was a bit too much Rizzoli whining and lack of interesting storylines compared to previous seasons. Whereas season 3 had focus on Maura’s family (which is, sadly for Maura, interesting) and some good crimes to boot, this season has more focus on Rizzoli’s family, and it just isn’t as engaging – it as after all quite difficult to compete with a gangster dad!

I still very much enjoy the interplay between Maura and Rizzoli. It’s one of the best female buddy cop shows around and it is nice to see that it is not necessary to add bitchiness to a great strong relationship between females. Maura is now pretty much a part of the Rizzoli family and there does not seem to be any decisions made unless the two of them talk it over – I guess that is only natural when you spend about 90% of the time together…
They have great chemistry and obviously also play up the touchy-feeliness and flirty eyes enough to keep the gayzzoli ship going, but their other relationships – like Rizzoli’s with Casey and - GASP - Maura’s potential romance with Frankie – are just bland and annoying and seemingly added to make up for the absence of good crime stories.

Outstanding episode for this season, I think, is episode 5 (directed by Jamie Babbit… need I say more?) which ties up old issues with Maura’s biological parents.

Anyways, I really hope it picks up for season 5. I will definitely be back for more, but may not last a whole season unless the quality improves. 3.5 stars

Extras:
“When truth meets fiction” (information about how Janet Tamaro writes the series)
“Building Boston” (creating the city scape).

PS: Has anybody else noticed that Bruce McGill, who plays Korsak, looks a whole lot like Tyne Daly??
on 12 January 2015
This is an excellent detective series. There is an excellent balance of comedy and reality in the detective world. It is sad that Mr Lee Thompson died so tragically. He played a wonderful part as computer whizz kid, Detective Frost. He will be hard to replace. Overall though, a wonderful series.
on 4 December 2014
I would like to offer my condolences on the death by suicide of Lee Thompson Young , Det Frost , who was a marvellous actor in this series . I understand that he suffered with severe depression although that never showed whilst he was in character and the episode in Series 5 for his supposed funeral was beautifully acted by all concerned.
on 3 April 2014
Yes, as mentioned in other reviews, the characters are different to those on the books, but that is all to the good. That means you can enjoy the books and the TV series in a separate way. It was the same with the Bourne films, which were completely different to the books - I enjoyed both without looking for similarities and it meant I could enjoy twice as many Bourne stories as I would have if the films were simply slavishly copying the books. TV series are a different medium to the printed one and the series is only 'based-on' the books after all and so can take liberties and be lighter and funnier. Enjoy them both.
on 10 January 2015
I love this series and have watched all 4 seasons. I am a big fan of the two main characters (previously in Law and Order and NCIS) and the story lines are believable and never fail to deliver. I like the mix of family life and solving crimes. Looking forward to no 5
on 23 December 2014
One of my favorite programs, like many people I have read the books and they were better, but watching these you have to try and forget the books and just get into the TV series. If you can do that you will enjoy the TV version as I am
on 8 December 2014
Another fantastic Rizzoli and Isles series ... continuously gripping but humorous. Both my husband and I love this series and have had to limit it so that we do not run out of episodes too quickly. In the wake of Lee Thompson Young's death, I feel like the cast did incredibly well in the final episode and am looking forward to how they tackle the subject in Season 5.

With the return of key characters such as Frankie and Angela, the family links provide an insight into a troubled family with the return of Angela's troubled husband.

An enjoyable series :)
on 9 March 2014
every series has got better and better and just watching the clips of the remaining episodes are mindblowingly brilliant in my view it has serged past castle as being the no1 crime drama, recommend to anyone who maybe wants a change from their normal viewing.
on 31 January 2015
love this series - Maura and Jane are a terrific team - and the others in the team too. we love these.