Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 26 May 2015
To be honest I was very hesitant at first and so its one of those things where I picked it up in the shop again and again thinking shall I get and it well one day I decided to get it after one of my friends in the USA kept talking about it. I watched all the episodes and I just fell in love with it straightaway. It follows the life of Piper Chapman as she surrenders herself in Litchfield NY , it gives you the ups and down of being an inmate With corrupt CO's. You dare insult the cook and you could be starving your yuppie ass through prison or find your self to be a prison wife with crazy eyes. you have a lot of amazing characters such as the maternal Russian mother hen called Red who works in the kitchen and then you have all her adopted daughters like Nichols the former heroin addict,Boo the butch Lesbian and more...they all have there own little stories to tell how they ended up there in the first place. You can't help but love every character ❤️❤️❤️
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 14 October 2015
The Good:
A fascinating look into the life inside a women's prison. Above all, this is interesting for the exploration of all the fellow inmates, giving you insight into their backgrounds and how they ended up in prison. The way so many different stories and indepth-character-personalities are all cobbled together neatly and effortlessly alongside the main story of the main character (Piper), is incredible. The writing is good, and the pacing of the episodes is quick. There is a ton of realistic emotional depth to this show, and it's amazing that's it's all based on a real story of an actual "Piper" and "Alex" - and the real life people look a lot like the actors playing them!

Other points to consider:
This is not a series for the sensitive, easily-offended nor for the prudish, so is definitely not for everyone. Never has an 15-rating (bordering on 18) for a series been more justified: it's gritty, full of swear words, full of sexual content that is often of a lesbian nature, and the content also includes drugs, horribley corrupt prison guards, mentally unstable inmates and other hardships of prison life.

It's classified as a comedy but I'd call it more of a drama because any humour is very subtle - more of a straight-faced "ha...", as opposed to a proper feel-good laugh-out-loud kind of humour. It's not exactly feel-good (if it were, I'd give it 5/5 rather than 4/5). The last episode ends on a particularly not-feel-good note.. but it's an interesting insight into a world many of us know little about and makes you realise that even convicted criminals are not all monsters - they're just people.
on 28 November 2015
This show is just wonderful, I have watched it over and over and am not yet bored. So funny, incredible acting and from a group of women you don't usually see on television which makes it even more authentic and unique. Taylor Schilling does the most wonderful job and very quickly became one of my favourite actors. Her working alongside Laura Prepon is just magical portraying Piper and Alex in their tumultuous, yet oh so amazing relationship makes for addictive television watching. Do not hesitate to watch this series it's so worth it, apologies in advance if you get a little bit obsessed like me.
on 25 May 2015
So good in so many ways! The acting: Taylor Schilling deserves a lot of credit - it's a tough role and she pulls it off. But this is a character actor's playground, and it's a rich one. Kate Mulgrew's 'Red' is a powerhouse, but she has plenty of competition; there are so many wonderful small roles and moments, you will need your back arrow a lot. The characters: Here are women (and actors) we don't get to see in other movies or on TV, and that is groundbreaking. All of them have broken the law (often revealed in flashbacks). And almost all also have redeeming qualities that make us like them. That paradox introduces a tension in the basic concept of the show that is unique. The writing: This is a really really smart show. It's serious, it's social commentary, and it's often quite funny. The concept: Other than the privileged caucasian yuppie, this is about women in a low security prison environment who are randomly thrown together who have to find a way to get along. Since they come in the door as naked as they were born, what they bring in the door with them is their own history. The real drama and comedy is how those individual histories unfold as they try to live together in a limited and unpleasant environment. It's really really good.
on 21 May 2014
I had signed upto Netflix for a free trial to finish watching Breaking Bad as I only had the first four seasons on DVD. Once finished I was suffering from Breaking Bad withdrawals. I found Orange is the New Black on Netflix and me and the wife have watched all but the last episode of season one. It's quirky, sad, intelligent, quite rude but often very funny. I love the different characters and the way it often skips back in time to their lives before prison and the fact that most of them had pretty normal lives before their incarceration. It is great to watch the interaction between the characters and the politics of prison life. A real breath of fresh air and stands up to Breaking Bad in my humble opinion. Season 2 is due out on Netflix on June the 9th and season 3 has just started filming.
The only reason I am on Amazon is that I wanted to see if it was on DVD because it is going to be in a few Christmas stockings this year for definite.
Buy it and watch it, you will not regret it!! Especially if you enjoyed Breaking Bad. Hopefully if it becomes a great success there will be more seasons, happy days!
on 28 September 2015
Great piece of television where the various characters which occupy this women's prison gradually reveal themselves through their stories with external flashbacks and internal misdemeanours. Frustrating. Amusing. Lovable. Revolting. Depressing. Uplifting. Ridiculous. Inspiring and thoroughly entertaining from the outset.
on 24 January 2016
This was one of those series that I didn't want to watch because everyone was talking about how good it was and it felt overrated. And yet here I am talking about it. And it's not overrated. It is spectacular.

I am not normally a fan of drama series - I get bored with over-exaggerated plots and repetitive story lines, and frustrated when the right path is obvious but the characters do something to mess it up. OITNB could not be further from that. Yes, it is a 'drama' but the characters a very real and it is also very, very funny - something I was not expecting. So although the series deals with serious matters, there is always a light-hearted stream to cool down any overly hot heads. The flash backs also help keep it fresh and stop the story lines from feeling stagnant, and it just seems to get better the longer it goes on. Can't wait for the next ones.
on 29 July 2015
Cannot compare it to Breaking Bad...which is excellent as well. This is still just as absorbing, and fundamentally excellent in all it's qualities, still only a two thirds through Series One, but will look forward to buying Series Two as well Thankyou RDR
on 18 December 2015
Having heard about how great this series was supposed to be, I finally decided to see for myself...and it certainly didn't disappoint!

The series deserves to be praised for its vast array of interesting, three-dimensional characters as well as its clever use of flashbacks to further develop these characters. The central relationship between Taylor Schilling and Laura Prepon is also wonderful; the chemistry is apparent and I am anxious to see how this develops in future episodes.
The series also manages to blend comedy with drama and when you are not smiling and laughing, your eyes will be glued to the screen and your jaw will be wide open!

In summary, a series that is both amusing and exciting, with wonderful characters and a solid, intelligent script.
on 12 April 2015
Orange is the New Black is about an early thirty something woman (Piper) who, at first glance, has her act together. She seems very social, she's got her own business with her best friend which is really starting to ramp up, and she is also engaged to be married to her lovely boyfriend. But then, something Piper did in her twenties comes back to haunt her, and she is sentenced to fifteen months in prison. Season 1 begins the story just as she starts her prison sentence, and parts of her backstory are revealed through flashback.

I purchased this DVD set for my boyfriend, who loves the show (he watched it on Netflix) and was enthusiastic to have me watch it even though we cancelled our Netflix account. His fondness for the show, he says, is for the fact that "it's not another crime/thriller/drama that focuses on the doings of middle age white men"... (which he has a penchant for anyway ;-) ).

I didn't share his sentiment for the show at first. It's entertaining enough, though I thought it rather lacked emotion from some characters and Piper's was grating. Notably, I found some of the other characters MUCH more compelling than Piper (while they dedicate a fair whack of screen time to her story, there are other girls she meets in the prison and some of their stories are revealed, too) . However, one particular episode near the end of the season (or series if you're from the UK) just made the main storyline fall into place for me, and now, while I still don't LOVE it, I do really like it. Piper is still a bit annoying, but maybe that will come to a turn in the next season!

I would definitely recommend this show for a mix of comedy and drama, and if you like character driven shows than I think you'd enjoy this too.