5.0 out of 5 stars Jurassic Park 3D
Published 19 months ago by Denton

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best 3d conversion I have ever seen
I am reviewing the 3d transfer here, and not the excellent film which I have almost seen as many times as Star Wars Ep4.

I watched this last night in a darkened room, through my PS3 (I tend to watch all my 3d blurays through this) on my Samsung 40" LED 1080p tv.
I must say I was disappionted by the clarity. As this is the first film I have bought where...
Published 12 months ago by Memly

5.0 out of 5 stars Jurassic Park 3D, 28 July 2013
I bought this after watching Titanic and seeing how good post conversions can be when done properly, with a dedicated team that spends almost a year on the process and $10mil. I have to say, after horrors like Thor 3D and Clash of the Titans 3D, I was extremely sceptical about whether post conversion could ever really work - I felt they were just cash grab gimmicks. I am so glad to say, Post-conversion can be totally Amazing.

Jurassic Park 3D is THE BEST live action 3D film I have ever seen. It was an incredible experience and beats all of the Marvel films, Avatar and other natively shot 3D films. I own about 50 3D films and was, up until now, of the impression that only animations really work in 3D. I am so glad to say that I was utterly wrong. I haven't seen The Life of Pi 3D but hear that's good, so maybe that represents good competition for JP 3D.

The reason JP works so well in 3D is because so many of the scenes have a great deal of perspective and layers through Dinos, foliage (blustering and static), rain, geography, structures and actors, all of which have been rendered with curved edges and positioned correctly within the frame at their respective depths. Some of the scenes do pop out too, like the raptor jumping up through the ceiling grate. The pop out is the best I've seen and used only when absolutely necessary for total film immersion. There was only one shot that didn't work in the whole film and that was the back rest of a chair that Laura Dern was sitting on, It appeared in the wrong plane of view. This scene lasted a few seconds. Apart from that stupidly minor quibble, I had one of the most engrossing and edge-of-my-seat film experiences in years. I was drawn into a film in a way that I have not experienced since I was a kid. It was literally a revelation.

The sound has also been remastered, meaning it's more captivating than ever. Even the picture has been cleaned up and added to, like rain drops in the foreground (there are multiple layers of rain) to make it feel real - and my god, does it feel real. The mosquito encapsulated in the amber fossil looks incredible! The car falling from the tree, the herds of dinosaurs in the wild, the T-Rex attack (all 3 of them), the raptors hunting the group in the main building - all of it created the most sumptuous feast my eyes have ever had while watching a 3D film.

I've seen this film many many times since the first watch in the cinema when I was 12. Even knowing the story inside out, this version gaVe me an incredible experience, like watching one of the true classics of cinema for the very first time.

Apart from animations, which are mostly pretty darn good in 3D, JP is a reference quality film for live action. I would even go as far as to say, if you own one 3D film, it should be this one.

Turn the lights off, Increase the screen lumens to avoid that annoying muted cinema 3D feeling, the sound up, put your glasses on and prepare for one of the most thrilling home cinema experiences of the decade - or ever !

4.0 out of 5 stars Welcome (back) to Jurassic Park..., 25 Feb. 2015
What happens:
Loveable old eccentric discovers a way to bring dinosaurs back from the grave, then puts them on show in a cross between Disney Land and Chessington World of Adventure. Soon the park breaks down, the dino's break loose, and the humans are left in peril, leaving a pair of palaeontologists and two annoying children to put things right.

What I think:
You may not remember but, back in 1993, Jurassic Park wasn't just a movie; it was a phenomenon. A powerful, stomping giant of a film that grabbed our imaginations like a hungry T-Rex and violently shook them until, by the end credits, we were ready to run straight back to the end of the queue and wait patiently for a chance to jump into its mouth again.

Boyed by Michael Crichton's irresistible premise, and fuelled by Steven Spielberg's trademark visuals, it utilised fresh advances in digital special effects to give a fascinated world its first true sight of the long-extinct beasts. Gone were the man-in-a-rubber-suit days of Godzilla; these were real, moving dinosaurs, and audiences reacted in much the same way as Dr Grant (Sam Neil) when, upon catching his first glimpse of a grazing brachiosaur, simply points in dumbstruck awe and stammers, 'it's a dinosaur'.

It may not have the same sense of wonder it possessed 22 years ago, but the film's standout scene - when, in the middle of a thunderous storm, the T-Rex breaks free from its enclosure and sets about turning one of the park's shiny new cruisers into Bacofoil - is every bit as powerful now as it was in my teens.

And while the remainder of the film never quite matches this set piece, it does manage to come close a couple of times - notably during a tense game of kitchen-based hide-and-seek with the Velociraptors.

It's tempting to compare this directly with Jaws, but that seems unfair. Jaws may have been the original summer blockbuster, but that success was built around an expert lesson in terror and suspense that contained genuinely unsettling scenes. Jurassic Park is a family friendly roller coaster ride; Raiders of the Lost Ark with teeth.

And that's no bad thing since this is, ultimately, a fantasy. Where Duel plays on a distant fear of road rage we all have lurking at the back of our minds whenver we hit the M25, and Jaws taps into our innate wariness of the water, Jurassic Park is about dinosaurs chasing humans... not a problem we're ever going to have to worry about.

If the film fails anywhere it's in the shaky dialogue, paper-thin characterisation and annoying children. But even that is forgivable. Maybe it was even intended - after all, the real stars here are the dinosaurs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Roar-some!, 7 Aug. 2014
Mr. C. Gelderd "aka GelNerd" (Basingstoke, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
The first of the current trilogy stands alone as the original and best mainly for showcasing the ground-breaking special effects. Director Spielberg brings together a solid cast to tell a thrilling adventure of survival set around beats long since extinct. It’s a very simple story of an isolated team trying to survive a tropical island inhabited by the dinosaurs and reach safety, echoing that of the classic stop-motion films of the 1940s and 50s featuring the huge lizards and puppet monsters. Only this time the effects are second to none, really faithful to what we would expect dinosaurs to look and sound like, blending in seamlessly with the live action.

With a cast who are 100% passionate about the fantasy they are conveying, literally walking with dinosaurs (as well as running and hiding from), the tension builds up at the notion of the park and when it goes wrong, the thrills don’t stop and the jumps keep coming as you also feel part of the team trying to survive being prey.

This is a brilliant film that looks rich and vast thanks to the cinematography and use of day and night time to convey sense of beauty, death and fear in one shot. With an iconic score by John Williams, all the elements work so well to make this a real stand out film of the 90s for more reasons than just benchmarking special effects.

5.0 out of 5 stars 3D Blu Ray review - brilliant conversion of Speilberg classic, 14 Dec. 2013
I have seen Jurassic Park many times over the years and must have owned it a few times in different formats but, without a doubt, I feel the 3d conversion on Blu Ray is the best i have experienced Spielberg's classic. A short, 9 minute or so, bonus feature on the 3D disc confirms why the post-conversion has been handled so well - it was handled by Stereo D the same company that were behind the conversion of Titanic (one of the best conversions I have seen). The short details the 9-months of work that went in to the process with Speilberg taking a very active roll. I never appreciated until seeing this how much work was involved - take the T-Rex scene where it was detailed how they had to make the rain appear in different perspective to give depth to the shot - all the rain drops had to be worked on frame by frame. Amazing and the results are up on the screen. The sound has seen some attention too from the original artists with a little extra oomph added to T-Rex etc., Anyway, on to the key parts of the release:

3D: As detailed above the 3D conversion is handled very well with the process really adding to the viewing of the film. Image quality (fills a 16x9 frame with a tiny black border at the bottom edge) is excellent with a tiny amount of film-like grain that is apparent in the dark scenes but, overall, a sterling effort for a film that is now 20-years old! Sound quality on the 3D disc offers a 7.1 lossless track along with a 5.1 lossless for english language (other options too but I will focus on the english language throughout). Plenty use is made of the surrounds and, for those that have one, the sub-woofer track. The T-Rex scene is the one to try with the classic ripples on the glasses of water scene! One particularly nice part about the 3D disc is that you get straight to the film with none of the 'you will be fined if you copy this or play it on an oil-rig etc.,' type messages. Chapters are plentiful allowing you to go to your favourite scene via the pop-up menu button. One 3D extra is included as mentioned above.

2D: Basically the same image quality as the 3D but start with 4 x different warnings about piracy followed by a further, animated one, thanking us for buying it. Come on Universal - cut it out. We have purchased the thing so enough of the warnings. Sound is the same 7.1 lossless found on the 3D disc but no 5.1 track. Lots of foreign language tracks included as well as Japanese should you want it. Main, and for me the only, reason for putting this disc on concerns the extras as there are loads of them! There must be 2.5 hours or so of features and worth a look if you like the usual making of's etc., I have scanned the reverse of the slip-case so you can see the full details available from the back cover should you require - this can be found above by the main images.

Really hope that they will now convert the sequels in 3D so I can complete the set. After watching the 3D documentary I guess I can now appreciate how much work goes in to a good conversion but this also, probably, means such work will only be done for the main big catalogue titles which is a shame. Done well it can add huge amounts to the right film.

Overall I rate this very highly and consider it to be a very worthwhile 3D Blu Ray. Brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 30 April 2014
Loved it, it was always a good film but works really well in 3D, brings out a whole new dimension (pun intended).

5.0 out of 5 stars A definite must for anyone's movie collection!, 4 Feb. 2014
Not too many movies can withstand the test of time, especially where special effects are concerned, but this one most certainly does. SHEER AWESOMENESS!!! If you haven't seen this movie by now, just hang your head in shame and rectify that problem immediately, before others find out you're Amish.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Legend, 3 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Jurassic Park (Blu-ray)
This movie as everyone knows is, no doubt a great entertainer & as all the reviews right say, that even after more than a decade the special effects are amazing. Although there is more talking then action compared to its sequels. But overall still holds its place in today’s time.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very decent 3d conversion., 2 Oct. 2014
The film was great, but I expect most ppl who have purchased this 3d version have already seen the film and are thinking about watching it in 3d, Well obviously It's no where near as good as modern films in 3d, but the 3d is still really good. There's not a lot of jumping out of the screen moments, but the 3d does add a lot of depth which looks really nice. The most major fault I found with this 3d blu ray is that some of the more close up scenes are a little bit blurry and you do notice it.

So if your a fan of Jurassic park and feel like watching it in a different way, the 3d adds a lot to the film without taking much away from it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Augment Confusion?, 18 Aug. 2014
Before i ordered this I couldn't figure out what augment reality was, did i need a specific type of TV or gismo to watch the blu-ray???

Here's the golden piece of info that isn't mentioned and will hopefully help some others out there.

Augmented Reality is simply an android app (not available on the Apple app store) that when launched requireds you to point your camera phone at the case and then a dinosaur appears on top of it, that's it people!

In terms of the blu-ray it's great, no probs at all but it took me a while to figure out that AR was nothing to do with the playback of the Blu-Ray itself????

5.0 out of 5 stars Jurassic Park 3D review, 19 Dec. 2013
Jurassic Park was one of if not my favourite childhood movie, I have seen it countless times, and nearly managed to catch the film in 3d in America earlier this year. I think everyone knows the film so this review is not about it. More the incredible conversion job done on it to convert into 3D. In my opinion it is up there as one of the very best 3D pictures i've ever seen, even though its a 20 year old film. The depth is spot on, and gives the film a real sense of immersion, i've just sat enthralled for the last couple of hours by it.

If you have a 3d set up at home, i'd recommend this even if you already own another format of JP, it truly is astounding.

Jurassic Park [Blu-ray] [1993] [US Import]
Jurassic Park [Blu-ray] [1993] [US Import] by Richard Attenborough (Blu-ray - 2014)