Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£9.09

on 26 June 2014
Everyday Robots is heavy. It’s an album weighed down by a kind of lovelorn resignation to modern life’s challenges. It’s there from the opening moments… shuffling out of the shadows and gently clunking, twinkling and wheezing towards the lovely conclusion of ‘Heavy Seas of Love’. Damon sings of the stuff that sits wearily on his shoulders.

There’s something of early Boards of Canada’s landmark hymns to nostalgia in the tone and feel of the album. It’s dense with sound. Things click and whirr. Voices echo in and out of time. Yet the whole thing breathes. It’s open and warm and there’s space enough to climb inside to let it all wash over you. Listened to from afar, it might drift a little. The jaunty excursion of Mr Tembo aside, this is a mono-paced mooch of an album. On occasion the songs drift in to one another, woozily lurching from idea to idea.

It’s beautiful, though. Just listen. Melancholy melodies come and go. Unexpected musical twists catch the ear. The whole thing ebbs and flows. Its hands are dug in pockets and eyes are only for the ground, but its bones and heart are full of hope.
He's good, that Damon Albarn, isn't he? I've known and liked his work for years, but I can't claim to be a real Albarn aficionado so others may have more informed insights into this album. For what it's worth, though, I think this is a very fine album. It has a rather laid-back, often jazzy feel to it, reminding me of some greats of the 70s and 80s. I was reminded of people like Robert Wyatt, Paul Weller, Pink Floyd in Grantchester Meadows mode, even the more mellow side of Lou Reed...you get the idea. It's great stuff, beautifully produced with pretty stripped-down backing but a lovely rich sound.

The songs are a varied and interesting bunch. As you'd expect from Albarn they are melodically and harmonically excellent and have enjoyable and intelligent lyrics. If there is an overall theme it is the dehumanisation of modern life and how we interact with electronics more and each other less. The album's opening line, "We are everyday robots on our phones..." and lines like, "It's hard to be your lover when the TV's on..." strike home well, I think.

I've listened to this album a lot (I was lucky enough to receive an advance copy), and am continuing to do so with great pleasure. It will be part of the soundtrack to many people's summer, I suspect, but there's real meat here and I think it will last a lot longer. I'd recommend it very warmly.
33 comments|43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 15 February 2015
As far as I'm concerned, Damon Albarn, the frontman of Blur and Gorillaz is a god in the world of music, and his debut album, released last year has been long overdue and much anticipated. 'Everyday Roberts' did not disappoint me, and I think it's absolutely beautiful, not to mention catchy. I should point out straight away that the music here is nothing much like the material of his two big bands, this is almost a completely new sound, and a showcase of his abundance talents.

With honest, reflectful lyrics and a variety of instruments and production, 'Everyday Roberts' is very pleasing on the ear. My personal favourite song is the quirky 'Mr. Tempo', a jolly little track that makes me feel warm each time I hear it and the one I find myself playing on repeat until I realise that it's now the seventh consecutive time, it should have been a big hit. The title track is stunning, like a Radiohead song with a robots theme, and 'Heavy Seas of Love' and 'Lonely Press Play' are equally wonderful slow-burners.

Damon Albarn is such a versatile talent and a very creative guy. If you are looking for a great album, I highly recommend that you buy your copy of 'Everyday Robots' today, and pre-order the upcoming Blur album which is out in April, music with Mr. Albarn really is something!

The deluxe edition is available here: Everyday Robots [CD+DVD], and contains a bonus DVD, featuring the official promotional video of the title track 'Everyday Robots'.
Everyday Robots by Damon Albarn : A restrained, subtle and often subdued collection of songs. It's a beauty.

I have listened to it every day since procurement a week ago and the tunes are setting up home inside my skull. Why, I just went for a long-distance run over the hills of South London and the mournful chorus of "Selfish Giant" looped in my head for the entire workout (complete with fluttering flute). A day or so ago I was grocery shopping and the gorgeous piano trickles of "Hostiles" were providing a sedate soundtrack to my vegetable selections.

When walking my nephew through the park, the sun emerged from behind a cloud and the uplifting gospel chorus of "Mr Tembo" was immediately poured in to my mind tank. (The ukelele on "Tembo" is also worthy of note as it is wonderfully cheerful.)

"Heavy Seas Of Love" possibly grabs the EARWORMERY GOLD MEDAL. God damn that painfully catchy gospel chorus!! I should sue Mr Albarn for disallowing any coherent thoughts in my brain over this past week.

Mr Albarn, to put it VERY simply, is extremely good at writing songs. Songs that haunt the listener long after listening.

"Everyday Robots" is Damon at the top of his game, doing what he does....and doing it well.
on 23 May 2014
‘Everyday Robots’ is a memorable debut from an artist who has shown great diversity through his years as the front-man for Blur and then Gorillaz. This collection readily follows on from the final Blur album 'Think Tank' in feel - a textured mixture of styles subtly interwoven through what seems like a series of images from Albarn's life over the years. Albarn has never been frightened to experiment with his music and has collaborated with a number of different people and producers over the years - in this case Richard Russell has acted as producer and his usual bare, stripped back sound is evident. There's much going on throughout the album, with floating voices, music snippets and creative rhythmic devices appearing and disappearing regularly. On the positive side, this maintains a constant level of interest even on re-plays, but on the negative side some tracks seem to drift into a level of self-indulgence.

Lyrically, Albarn generally sounds down-beat and world-weary and there are few happy moments. He touches on one of his regular themes of wry concern about how modern life is becoming swamped by technology and the superficiality of social media. These are ready targets for any artist, but there are some delightful, clever lines - 'it's hard to be a lover when the TV's on' - which are as good as anything written before and reminiscent of his observations in earlier songs such as End of the Century.

Musically and lyrically, there is a sprawling feel about the album and a general sense of fatigue and tiredness, which is presumably intentional, a sense that Albarn has thought deeply about life and this work. But again, there is risk that such an approach starts to drift into such melancholy that it starts to sound self-indulgent despite the colouration. For me, the stand-out tracks were the title track and 'Mr Tembo'.

In summary, Albarn has come a long way from Britpop, but if you enjoyed Think Tank then you'll enjoy this. If you like your music to be a little out of left field, indie-sounding with interesting parts, then you will enjoy this. It is a thoughtful compilation of work. If you are after something commercial to dance to, move away slowly until you're in more of a contemplative mood and you should not be disappointed by what you hear.
on 4 July 2014
I'm not sure what so people have against this album. Yes it is melancholy in places, but it's also incredibly beautiful. It's also incredibly catchy too - I defy anyone not to sing along to the second part of 'You and Me' which IMO is one of his best songs in years!

If you like Blur, the Gorillaz, or indeed any of the other projects Damon has put his name to in recent years, and give this album a genuine chance, you will be rewarded with one of the best albums of the year, and one of Damon's best!
on 17 October 2014
I have liked everything that I have heard over the years by Damon Albarn and this solo album has proved to be no exception. Musically it a masterpiece. A combination of arrestingly tuneful, though somewhat melancholic, with cheerful and upbeat. I liked it on first hearing, and each time I play it I enjoy it more.
on 26 May 2014
Music taste is relative. Keep that in mind when buying any music. Damon Albarn pushes the idea of what music is, always has done. He is extremely creative, and this continues here. This is a real album, the kind you can put on and just admire. Personal highlights of this album for me are Mr Tembo, and Heavy Seas Of Love.
on 10 May 2014
I am not a huge Blur fan although I have the greatest hits compilation. I was prompted to buy Everyday Robots after reading positive reviews in various publications and also hearing " Heavy Seas Of Love" on the radio. I was not disappointed. This is a marvellous album that gets better after repeated playing.
on 18 February 2015
I love this album - it's a real grower. The first couple of times I listened to it, I thought it was okay but nothing special but having had it on repeat in the car for a couple of weeks (:-)) I absolutely love it. Have always rated Damon Albarn - hugely talented bloke - & this is a really special album.