Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on 12 May 2014
Tl:dr version: this is crap, read Kelley Armstrong or Terry Pratchett or Neil Gaiman or Laurel K. Hamilton instead, their stuff is actually good.

Long version-
This turned up in my amazon recommends page and as it was free gave it a go. I can't help but wonder whether the people who gave this stuff 4 or 5 stars were reading the same thing as me. I'll tackle each story in turn:

Wicked- bog standard vampire fare: girl meets boy, boy turns out to be total psycho who drinks people's blood etc etc. Nothing new, and neither well written or exciting. The dialogue is clunky, and I was never drawn into liking any of the characters so didn't give two figs what happened to any of them.

Blur- more vampires: this felt like a Twilight cash-in, but with the author trying to make it edgier by having the vamp "love interest" be very aggressive and, for lack of a better description, bitey. Unfortunately he is also a ginormous sack of poop, completely lacking any charm. The fact that the main character actually responds to his seriously epic jive-weaselry instead of getting really effing angry at the fact the total bum-wipe essentially vamp-roofied her, beat up her bf and freaking kidnapped her TWICE annoyed me big time. At least none of the buggers sparkle. The non-vamps are also regularly afflicted with temporary stupidity- they get told, on two separate occasions by two different people who both end up dead, that there's vampires, they get actual proof of supernatural goings-on and come to the conclusion that it's ghosts scaring them. Ghosts. I eye-rolled.

Enchanted Secrets- teenage coming of age witchery: this one is the best of the lot, and is the reason this collection gets one star rather than nothing (I really wish I could give 0 star ratings). We have an overweight (to begin with, at least) main character in high school, the new guy takes an interest and doesn't care she's fat, turns out he's magic, she gets thin by magic potion, then it turns out she's magic and her evil aunt is out to kill her and her family, the evil aunt is defeated, her adopted son pops in to get revenge and we're left with a cliffhanger ending. This all takes place in the space of a few days. The author writes really 2 dimensional characters, and the plot is badly paced. You'd be better off reading the Terry Pratchett's discworld novels which feature Agnes/Perdita X Nitt, who is also a fat witch. A fat witch who kicks ass and has personality. I recommend Carpe Jugulum.

The coin collector- boy versus leprechaun: leprechaun turns 10 year old boys into coins, main character gets the horn for the leprechaun's daughter, realises his little brother is next, makes like Bilbo and riddles the coin-boys and his brother free, daughter and main character get married. In the hands of a better author this could have been good as opposed to utterly bland.

Zombie Games- zombie vaccine apocalypse: Ugh. Okay, the premise is such that you either turn your brain off and roll with it, or end up picking so many holes it resembles a sieve. I tried the former approach, but needn't have bothered as the thing is so dull I stopped reading half-way through and I say that as someone who struggles to the end of atrocious books because I absolutely have to know if everything will pan out the way I think it will. With this I really couldn't care less.

Venom- more vamps: Lol at the description of Venom as a hot "new" band from Europe- they formed back in the 80s, and play truly awful/awesome (delete as appropriate) thrash metal. Unfortunately, this story was not about crusty old Geordies fending off vampires. Another bland offering.

Yes I know, I could have stopped, but I'm of the opinion that you can't really criticise a book unless you've read it, so here we are...
on 13 June 2014
I haven't even bothered to finish it as the novels or whatever they are seem to just cut off at some point, just when I start to like the plot and there is no continuation to them? So I already started liking the characters and I want to know what happens next, who is becoming the vampire, who is going to be killed and - end of story!
Stories with no end is a no no for me!
on 13 November 2014
Flicked through it, very childish! don't bother
good job it was free! stupid girls and catfish boys, spent enough time on this review.
on 31 December 2014
Good book but not really older adult reading. well not for me anyway.gave it a go though and was right not for me. you give it a go and see.
on 11 June 2014
Thought I would try these as they were free. What a good choice. I loved all of them especially Zombie Games so I have just purchased Zombie Games 2 Running Wild. Can't wait to read & hope its as good as the first. Great Author & will definately be adding her to my favourites.
on 17 January 2016
I did enjoy what I read, however... The books are all over the place! I don't know if it is because I got these as an incentive to buy more or what, but I wont bother. I'm sorry but thumbs down for this, sorry to the author as I am sure it isn't your fault.
on 9 June 2014
Felt this was really aimed for a young teen reader.
Read the 1st book in the bundle but to be honest didn't bother with the rest.
Not saying it's bad writing or a poor story just more Twilight than Romero and not for me
on 15 May 2014
love the way the author writes the stories are very good and can't wait to read the rest of the stories of this series would recommend this book will look out for more stories from this author ,thank you for the stories
on 1 August 2014
I loved reading everyone of these different stories, but was very disappointed that you had to purchase book 2 to know the endings, waste of time reading them really as I was left unsure!
on 18 May 2016
Even the stories described as 'stand alone' don't really come to a conclusion and the others are simply samples - to read on I guess you have to buy the book. Glad this was free.