Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

on 17 February 2014
From the author of the hilarious Free Country comes this second book where George Mahood endeavours to celebrate all those odd/quirky/random holidays that you hear about on the radio or see people chatting about on social media...and then some! I had NO idea there were SO many of these holidays and now feel truly enlightened to these weird and wonderful days - the hilariously epitomised-on-the-front-cover 'Bubble Wrap Appreciation Day and the fantastically funnily described '55mph Day' being just the very TIP of the iceberg. I loved the humour, the photos and the novel way George approached each celebration as part of his everyday life. Read it, love it, recommend it!!!
on 18 February 2014
I'll come right out and say it: I loved this book.
George has a way with words, and a way with observation, that kept me chuckling through the entire read. The bizarre holidays he discovers to celebrate are ridiculous enough in their own right, but the reactions from his family as this crazy journey progresses are priceless. Just how do you explain to your wife that you've spent all day punching holes in paper... Or that she's going to eat mushy peas 5 ways for dinner...
And when a three-year-old brings a wooden sword to a pillow fight, you just know you're in for a world of hurt!
I had a great time reading this, and devoured it over two nights.
I strongly recommend it - and I'll be on the lookout for George's next adventure!
on 31 March 2014
I loved 'Free Country' and loved this book too. George has a lovely way of putting things over that makes you feel as though you are sitting in the pub having a pint and a laugh with him. My read was further enhanced by the fact that I knew all the places he talked about around Northampton, but even if you live the other side of the world, it won't detract from the fun you will have when you bury yourself in this book. I can't wait to read about the next six months he hinted about at the end of the book and all I can say is, George, keep writing please as you make me laugh out loud.
on 2 April 2014
This book was compelling reading, it takes the first half of the year, day by day. George finds out that each day there is a holiday,, a day to celebrate something.
Some were easy to follow, others were more of a challenge, I will definitely read this book again and look forward to the follow on book, of the last part of the year.
Thank you George for a humorous book, very well written with your usual wit and charm.
I recommend this book for a good holiday read.
on 4 February 2016
Honestly, I thought the concept of the book sounded boring. The only reason I bought it was because I enjoyed George Mahood's first book so much, especially his humour and writing style. Near the beginning he mentions that this may not work as a book, and as I was starting to agree. It seemed to read more like a diary which I didn't think I'd enjoy, but I found myself reading more and more and wanting to stick with it. By the end I felt like I knew him and his family and didn't want to put it down. I did feel really strange that I had enjoyed it so much considering nothing really happens, there are no proper celebrations, and if I tried to explain the book to someone I think it would come across as a bit pointless. The only reason this does work as a book is because of George's (I feel we're on first name terms now) humour and writing style, which if you appreciated in Free Country then you will no doubt find the same in Every Day Is a Holiday. I have bought George's next two books which I am looking forward to starting!
on 3 March 2014
I received a Facebook prompt about this book but I had already bought it. I saved it to read over a weekend. And that is what I did. Another funny and enjoyable book from George Mahood. I am looking forward to the next 6 months worth.

I read it on a kindle but think that a Kindle HD may have been preferable. The photos would probably have looked better then? Or maybe they would have just been in colour. Don;t let the photos detract from the writing though. In truth both are great. Not to mention the recipe ideas. I did laugh out loud.

I will be recommending to my friends as I did the last book. This resulted in at least 2 more sales!

You don't have to read the books in any particular order but it will make more sense (!) if you read Free Country first. I think.

Keep them coming Mr Mahood.

And then I found £50.
on 28 February 2014
Having read George's first book last year (As a free download) I had no problem in paying for this book. Initially I was slightly worried that the format could just be a list of quirky holidays from around the world, however what follows in my opinion is a hear warming story of family life. I especially enjoyed the section about de-labled tins of food, & may even have a crack at that one myself. I think leaving this book at 6 months was probably a good idea, the next six will hopefully be just as entertaining.

As an aside, if you put George, Joe Cawley & Tony Slater together as self publishing authors of quirky & amusing books you can't go far wrong. An evening in a pub with those three would be amusing. They also have another thing in common, they've wives who must have the patience of Jobe!! (or they're hung like donkeys - Guessing it's the former!)
on 29 December 2015
I enjoyed "Free Country", George's previous book a lot but being a cyclist and somebody who has travelled the country at length, and having done similar "mission-based" activities with mates, it was a no-brainier for me. I was less sure as I started to read this, George's second book. It is different, but I'm certainly glad I bothered. It has a loose premise based around one if George's "projects" but actually is a charming account of contemporary family life, albeit a very loving family. It warmed the cockles of my heart as well as making me laugh a lot too. I don't know if this is what George intended but that's what I got from it. Like many of us who have self published it could have done with a bit more proof reading but in a way that only adds to its charm. Well worth a read, a real feel good book IMO.
on 27 February 2014
This is George Mahoods second book. Free Country, his first, had me in tears and physical pain through George's wonder with words that was the FUNNIEST thing I have read forever! This second, published, adventure was on a different level. I was equally grip to find out the next bit and was so pleased to read the end-Not because it was the end but because of what's to come :-)
Everyday is a holiday is acknowledging days, weeks and month of national, international and World celebrated days. Reading this has expanded my knowledge, albeit some of it useless which will be fab on quiz nights, brought me hilarity that I have not read since his last book and confirmed to me there is more to life than plodding from one special day to the next because everyday should be celebrated!!!
Highly recommend- easy going and hilarity
on 24 May 2014
To be honest, I had fairly low expectations of George's second book, I mean, just how interesting can a string of national holidays be? Well, as it happens, in George's hands... very interesting; and not only interesting but funny, informative,sad and sometimes surprising as well. George leads you through 6 months of "special" holiday days as he continues blithely with his life as husband, father, photographer, writer and daily park tripper. I thought that this would be a trivial book, but his antics and those of his wife and children lift "Every Day's A Holiday" from the depths of banality to the dizzy heights of incredulous delight! However, I do have two bones to pick with him... why did you saw the foot off of the jamón, and when are you going to learn more about Hispanic authors?