on 10 March 2014
This is your standard fantasy book, littered with clichés. The plot was fairly linear and you could easily guess what was going to happen next. He sprouts special powers whenever he's in a tricky situation. The dialogue was also pretty cheesy/corny and had me cringing at times.
But, after saying all that, I actually enjoyed reading the book. It was a light hearted fantasy book that didn't require much effort to read. It was a perfect feel good book and left me content when I finished. I loved the interaction between the characters and how warmhearted their relationships were.

It's so easy to trash a book like this, but sometimes you have to look past the deluge of potential criticisms and be able to appreciate a book for what it is.

Not a book for those wanting a more edgy, contemporary fantasy novel. But if you're looking for something softer that doesn't delve into serious topics like torture, slavery, rape, etc... then I recommend this book. It's a perfect YA book, that's suitable for even children. I was sad to read the end and I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for the sequel.
on 7 July 2014
MMm I've heard this described as a new "Belgariad" which does a disservice to David Eddings. At times you are never quite sure if you are reading a book aimed at adults or teens & a bit like the author has sat down with a Fantasy tick sheet & tried to fit everything into the one story... Dragons-check,Magic weapon-check ..... The story itself is told from a sort of first person narrative with the vast majority told from Alex's eyes , it flows quite well but is not really a thinkers book & certainly no plot twists that being said it was still quite enjoyable & for the price worthy of a read.
on 10 March 2014
This was a great book, interesting read with a creative magic system. The way enchanting is used really made the book interesting to me and can't wait for the second book.
Thanks for the great read.
on 31 March 2014
great fun abventure the comedy and banter of charactors was excelent and liked all the ppl in it, magics being bit more balanced 4 all typs may need tho.

ineraction of all charactors and how written ectra was brilliant.
on 8 June 2014
Some good ideas but are not well developed, it has a weak plot and poor characterisation. The story telling and language seem more suited to the young reader. I would not recommend the book to an adult reader.
on 22 May 2014
Good enough plot, but a little too one dimensional for my taste. There was little depth to the characters, and it seemed that the hero discovered new abilities almost every five minutes.
on 26 July 2015
This was an extremely juvenile read. The characters were too perfect, too powerful and too childish despite being in their 20s (although the fairy was supposed to be 2 but spoke and thought in a very adult fashion which was too stupid). Everything was much larger than life and got so sickly-sweet I had to force myself to get to the end. Some of the ideas were novel but there was much that just grated on the nerves. I won't be reading the sequels.
on 19 March 2015
This book was so good, It had loads of intense moments which keep me at the edge of my seat. It shows a whole new approach to magic, which i found really interesting. I would recommend this to any that loves magic, adventure and romance. This is properly one of my favourite magic books i have read so far and i have already read the next book.
on 10 July 2014
To me this is a novel for teenagers, the way it was written and the prose just indicated to me that the reader should be a young adult. As a more mature person i just did not relate to any of the characters and the way it was written explaining everything was just a turn off. Not what i imagined.
on 19 July 2014
One of THE BEST BOOKS EVER!!!!An amazing plot and such good twists!It is an easy read but is written very well!I recommend it for people who like a good exciting
fantasy book!!I Read the second book and it is very good!BUT WHEN IS THE THIRD BOOK OUT????