4.0 out of 5 stars Multiple functions done nicely...
...with a few minor interface issues that keep this from hitting five stars. This is a solid 4.5 star device, and you can select it with confidence.

Published 13 months ago by Long-Suffering Technology Consumer

1.0 out of 5 stars Yellow ink keeps failing
Published 6 months ago by Mrs M.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Multiple functions done nicely..., 26 Jun. 2014
Long-Suffering Technology Consumer (Mid Atlantic, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Epson WorkForce WF-3640DTWF A4 4-in-1 Business Printer - (Fast Duplex Printing, Wi-Fi, Mobile Printing and Dual 250-sheet Trays) (Accessory)

Users of early of "all-in-one" devices probably remember the one thing they had in common: in each of their print/scan/fax copy functions, they tended to do each of them in a rather mediocre way. As a result, those with user needs for higher quality copies, prints or scans went ahead and sucked up the expense (and the USB ports) for separate devices.

Recent years have changed this, and most SOHO users without highly specialized printing/scanning/copying needs can be very well served by a capable all in one device. The WF-3640 is very capable, offering flexibility in connectivity and excellent overall performance in print, scan copy (and fax) tasks.

Set-up was straightforward and without significant issues. I ran the set-up using both the USB (with a Windows 8 machine) and Ethernet options (with a Windows 7 machine). The WF-3640 has an excellent quick start guide followed by clear on-screen instructions that prompt you through its set-up routine. Once my data, power and phone cables were connected, total set-up time was about 20 minutes for printer initialization, software install, fax setup and self-test routines.

PROS:
-"Stand alone" fax and copy and photo printing capability. If your PC is off, you can still make copies (b-w and color), fax or print images from removable media using the integrated multi-media card reader or a USB device via ports on the lower left corner of the front panel.

-Two separate paper trays keep both document and photo paper at the ready (up to 500 sheets or envelopes); a single sheet rear feeder is also available for some specialized paper types and #10 envelopes).

-Auto-feed and two-sided scan/copy/fax options.

-Flexible connection options: wired (USB or ethernet) and wireless (WiFi).

-Programmable presets (via the touch screen) for different copy/fax/print settings.

-Scan output options to file, email or cloud storage.

-Excellent print quality on both documents (plain paper) and photos (on photo paper). My unscientific tests of "time to print" (from final print command to delivery in output tray: about 9.2 seconds for a single page business letter (via ethernet). This is identical to the time to delivery from an HP laser printer connected to same computer via USB 2. If you're space constrained, you can dump your second printer (if the cost of consumables isn't an issue for you).

-Excellent user documentation. A quick-start poster is included along with a more detailed "quick guide" booklet. In addition, the utility software installs a local web-based, highly detailed user guide.

-Remote printing ability via "Epson Connect". Epson provides an email address that you can use to send print jobs to your printer (I don't use this, as I have no use case for printing things in my house when I'm not there; your needs may be different).

-Many functions can be accessed directly via the front panel controls and touch screen (notably missing: a .tiff file format option in case you are interested in a non-lossy format for your scanning (.tiff option is available through the Epson Scan software).

CONS:
-Scan operation using Ethernet connectivity requires slightly more patience and a few user tweaks than using the USB option.
-The scanning interface software defaults to some options for file naming and storage locations that I didn't find overly intuitive. These are correctable through the "Event Manager" and "Epson Scan" utilities.
-The scan to email (as an attachment) function only offers two mail client options: Outlook and Windows Live. Users of other clients (like Thunderbird) or web-based services, will have to navigate to the scanned file and attach it the old fashioned way.
-The touch-screen interface for saving and editing presets has some quirks; expect to go through the settings routine a few times before you get the process right.
-Most of the printer settings can be configured from the touch screen, but for ethernet and wireless users, it's worth the extra effort to access the printer status and settings information via the its local web server. You'll need to identify the printer's local IP address from the network settings screen, then enter that address into a browser. Yes, you can ignore all the dire security warnings in Firefox, Chrome and proceed without worry; the only place you're visiting is the inside of your Epson hardware.
-Ink level information (available from either of the touch screen, the local web service or (in Windows) from the device manager page is vague. You get status bars for each of the four cartridges, but no help on how many pages you've printed (or percentage of remaining capacity). The ink ordering names are nicely displayed though.
-If you used an earlier WorkForce series printer, the fax operation feedback seems less refined; there is no unambiguous "fax transmission" successful indicator (nor does there seem to be a printable log of recent fax transmissions).

These are all quite liveable and entirely outweighed by the lengthy list of positives for this unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great printer, but black text not razor sharp in color mode, 29 April 2014
Povl H. Pedersen "Der Däne" (Dänemark) - See all my reviews
Great printer. Coming here from the HP OfficeJet Pro series.
Prints fast, and in black/white mode text is perfect, in color mode, it is fine, but not razor sharp.

Prints fast, 2 trays are nice. You can configure primary tray for different jobs (fax/cope etc). Top tray can hold dfiferent formats, lower tray is for the general purpose like A4.

No issues printing from iPad/iPhone. And cloud print also working fine. Only issue is, that I would like to be able to have more control over scanning resolution to the cloud (higher res than default). But it works nicely to mail and different cloud services. Presets makes it easy to use.

Not any issues so far (2 weeks). My HP had the problem with lines being less and less parallel to the edge of paper closer to the bottom. Photo quality on photo paper is fine.

1.0 out of 5 stars Yellow ink keeps failing, 5 Jan. 2015
So far I am on my 3rd attempt at this printer but already I am seeing signs of the same fault as the other 2. It's a great printer and has everything I need but the yellow ink keeps failing to print. Have tried cleaning nozzles, changing cartridges, changing makes of cartridge but with no success. Such a shame but when the yellow stops working there doesn't seem to be anything to sort it. Would be interested to hear if anyone else has seen this problem with theirs.

5.0 out of 5 stars nice and cheap and though I was getting a good ..., 23 July 2014
I previously bought supermarket specials etc... nice and cheap and though I was getting a good deal..

I decided to spend a bit more and OMG, you can tell the difference. I will no longer go back to the cheap printers.

This printer is quick, quite (depending on mode), fantastic print quality and great features...

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for SMEs, 28 Feb. 2015
I've had the printer for just over a month now and find it perfect for a small business. It's my second Epson WorkForce printer and I bought this one because the other one is still going strong after 5 years.

It came with easy to follow instructions and I had no problem at all setting it up. The WiFi works well. If I wanted a super high quality scanner and photo printer, I would not have bought this machine. It's more than adequate for scanning and printing office documents. This is what it's designed to do. Overall a good solid printer.

I recommend shopping around as I paid £99 and see it's now a lot more.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can find no downsides to this printer / scanner, 25 July 2015
I've been buying and using printers for 20 years, and this is the first printer I've bought that has no downsides in relation to value and functionality.

I don't print very often, I mostly scan (I scan every everything into Evernote), but still, when I do print I want good results. The selling points of this printer for me are..

* Duplex printing and scanning (including the automatic document feed allow you to scan stacks of documents)
* 2 paper trays that can be independently configured (e.g. one A4, one 5x7 photo paper)
* Works with Windows, Mac, and iOS (I've not tested Linux but I expect it to work)
* Easy configuration though the web interface.
* Great range of services

When I mention cloud services, I mean that the device can print and scan to online services, for example to you print using google print, and my most used feature is scanning documents directly to Evernote - I never use the scanning software on the Mac, just place the document in the scanner and do through the menus on the device.

As for the print quality, as ever these days, you can't tell the difference between printers, even between inkjet and laser, the quality is getting that good.

When I needed ink refills I tried some of the cheaper 3rd party cartridges, at first I had some issues with the nozzles getting blocked if I didn't print for a while (weeks), but running the nozzle cleaning 4-5 times fixed this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great! We had it for a couple of months ..., 26 Nov. 2014
Works great!

We had it for a couple of months at home, as I am a teacher and I use it daily. Specially helpful the double-sided print, fast and effective. Totally recommend it!

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS PRINTER, 25 Feb. 2015
DO NOT BUY THIS PRINTER. They don't tell you but you can't scan multiple documents from the feeder tray - even though you'd certainly assume that you can because it HAS a feeder tray - this, it seems, is only for multiple copying. It's large and cumbersome. Now, even worse the thing won't let me print black and white documents because the BLUE ink is out, even though I don't need blue. I have now replace the blue and it's telling me to replace other colours even though i can hear plenty of ink slushing around. I'm disgusted with it. I can't print now, even though there is ink in each of the cartridges and I can only scan from the screen (flat bed) not using the paper tray feed. I hate it. It's the biggest waste of money I've ever be unfortunate enough to experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect printer at a bargain price, 17 Mar. 2015
Bought as a amazon warehouse damage item for under £100, I took a chance on it and was really surprised when it arrived with only a small tear on the outside of the box it came in. The printer itself was totally undamaged and works flawlessly. All arrived in its original packaging.
It's ability to copy/scan/print double sided and to scan/copy direct to the cloud/mobile phone/ pc etc were my main reasons for purchasing this printer. It was a doddle to set up. I now have the freedom to print from any device anywhere.
I've also used it to get copies of documents when at a meeting. A quick call home and they were scanned and available on my smartphone 200 miles away in seconds saving me a long round trip to retrieve the documents.

5.0 out of 5 stars The colour reproduction is not as good as the HP laser but the printing speed and ..., 13 July 2015
I needed an office printer to replace an aging HP Laser printer. The Epson Workforce has done just that. The colour reproduction is not as good as the HP laser but the printing speed and the office functions are first class. A bit of head scratching on the initial setup was required and I still haven't applied the the WiFi function - probably later when I have the time! Recommended if you require a business class printer with scan, copy and duplex printing.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›