4.0 out of 5 stars Happy but not Overjoyed

1.0 out of 5 stars Not great
Published 6 months ago by Unhappy bunny

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy but not Overjoyed, 4 April 2014
J. Nicholson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asus M11BB Desktop PC (AMD A4 6300 3.7GHz, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, DVDRW, LAN, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8) (Personal Computers)
To put things into perspective I am not a computer expert though have a reasonable level of knowledge having started working with computers pre Windows. I am configuring this machine to replace an XP machine belonging to a 92 year old lady so will be getting rid of the tile screen, the bloatware and anything else that requires her to learn too many new ways of operating the basics of e-mail, web surfing and photo management. There may be some incorrect naming of components in this review but overall I'm just interested in how it works for me and my aunt. I will have to manage it for her so need it to be as simple for her to operate and update as it can be otherwise I'll be spending an age in travelling to sort out problems I'd worked through with her when I set up her XP machine.

Overall I'm very happy with this purchase. I was happy with the price an it arrived promptly on free delivery. It was a doddle to set up. (My 13 year old Granddaughter did all the work, I supervised). The machine is very quiet and came with all the leads and connectors needed including UK & continental plug power leads and a DVI-D cable, but not an HDMI lead.

The process of setting up the OS was easy but lengthy as was applying the Win8 updates necessary before upgrading to Win8.1. I left the machine running overnight to download the 84 updates and applied them the next morning. Once the updates had finished and I'd got to the horrible Win8 tile screen I started downloading Win8.1 and left the machine applying it when I left for work.

There are a couple of little niggles that have stopped me awarding 5 stars. There is no wireless card fitted, if I had not had a 10m ethernet lead I would have been stumped to connect to the internet. I don't need a card at the final destination but am surprised that any machine available today is without wi-fi. (It did not state without wi-fi in the product description but then again it never stated with it either).

I'm not impressed with the grey lettering on a black keyboard (what is wrong with the good old white on black or even black/grey on white) but will live with it as I have a couple of spare keyboards and can substitute one of them if necessary.

These are minor niggles and so far all is going well. I'll update this review as I progress through to final configuration.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not great, 8 April 2014
It's painfully slow. Having deleted the pre-loaded PC health check by Asus. It is still slower than my old desktop! Window 8 is awful. The free "upgrade 8.1" is no better. Very bad purchase. Wish I've never bought it. Can't see why Microsoft impose everyone to abandon XP and Window 7 to have this lousy version. I still remember the mistake they made with Vista. Shall hand on to the Window 7 laptop and consider Apple Mac in future.